PDA

View Full Version : FO!! -My First Hat!

Jan in CA
11-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I'm knitting my first hat on #7-16in circular needles and I'm using this basic pattern (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm).

It looks like it might be too large, but the experience has been fun. It's not error free, but the ones I know I made are under the folded edge so it's not a big deal. :rollseyes: ;)

I'm wondering something... should the edge of a folded edge hat be made slightly smaller for a couple rows so it won't flare out? I don't know that it WILL, but it seems like it might get stretched and look wonky..

Color is a little off on this photo. I forgot to adjust the white balance. :rollseyes:

Sascha
11-16-2005, 10:17 PM
You're doing a great job!

Jouf
11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Looks good so far, Jan. I don't know the answer to your question, though.

amy
11-16-2005, 10:42 PM
WTG Jan! It's looking great! :cheering:

Don't know about the bottom edge. See how it goes I guess, let us know!

Jouf, I LOVE those maryjanes! :inlove: Jan, don't look now, I think your thread has been thoroughly threadnapped. :rofling:

Jan in CA
11-16-2005, 11:12 PM
WTG Jan! It's looking great! :cheering:

Don't know about the bottom edge. See how it goes I guess, let us know!

Jouf, I LOVE those maryjanes! :inlove: Jan, don't look now, I think your thread has been thoroughly threadnapped. :rofling:

Thanks, Amy!

LOL Yeah, I see that! Jouf you might want to put this in it's own thread so more people see it. Those are beautiful!

Jivewhistle
11-16-2005, 11:13 PM
Jan, that hats looking good! I need to try one on a circ and dpn's sometime soon.

Jouf, looks great!!

dustinac
11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
Jan, love the hat!! Jouf great job!! :thumbsup:

rebecca
11-17-2005, 02:33 AM
Jan, your hat is LOOKING GOOD 8-) !
Jouf, I so :heart: :inlove: :heart: those maryjanes! Hat is too cute

KellyK
11-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Jouf...are those the FT felted Mary Janes?? LOVE EM!

CUTE HAT!

Jouf
11-17-2005, 08:56 AM
Jan, sorry! Didn't mean to be a hijacker. Didn't realize quite how this part worked. Just a little slow!

Silver
11-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Jan, I wouldn't worry too much about the edge. Knitted hats are very forgiving and even if they're floppy, they tend to look great anyway. Hooray for hats!

Jan in CA
11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
Jan, sorry! Didn't mean to be a hijacker. Didn't realize quite how this part worked. Just a little slow!

LOL No problem, Jouf! ;)

kemp
11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't think the bottom will be a problem. I just did two hats that style and when I fold the edge up they look fine. You can see a pic HERE (http://www.divaknitting.com/gallery/view.php?gallery_id=34)

kitkat
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Don't know the answer, but it looks good so far.

sogrammatical
11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
I'm making one of those hats too! It looks like you're a bit farther along than I am though (plus your ribbing is soooo much neater :oops: ).

I'm a little concerned about the size of mine too - I think it might be too small!

Jan in CA
11-17-2005, 04:32 PM
My ribbing is not perfect, Lisa. Most of it's okay, but there are a few errors. Luckily the will be under the fold though. :lol:

Here's the latest picture. Color is better on this one.

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Pretty! You're doing a good job!

rebecca
11-17-2005, 06:00 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Great job, I must say :D and I so :heart: :inlove: :heart: the color :D

Jan in CA
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
All done!! Not too bad for a first try. ;)

I used Lion Brand Wool Ease in dark rose heather.

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 10:43 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Wonderful! That was fast!

kemp
11-18-2005, 09:54 AM
It looks great! Did you try it on? Not problem with the bottom?

Jan in CA
11-18-2005, 11:14 AM
It looks great! Did you try it on? Not problem with the bottom?

Thanks, ladies!

Yes, I tried it on and so did my husband. It seems to be just fine. Whew!

KellyK
11-18-2005, 02:54 PM
It looks Great, Jan! Nice even sts!!

margie
11-18-2005, 03:48 PM
:cheering: Great job, Jan!! It looks GREAT!! :thumbsup:

Pixywhispers
11-19-2005, 05:13 AM
Jan its looking great! I love the color.

Everytime Ive started a ribbed hat in one size needle and moved to a bigger for the next part I have never been happy with it. Either the wearer folds their hat at a place that looks silly to me (hypercritical perhaps) or I end up wishing I had just stayed with a smaller needle size for the entire project. But if the decreases call for a new size needle it looks fine, but I'm a hataholic knitter and have never been able to switch sizes from brim to head and make it look smoothe.

Jan in CA
11-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Jan its looking great! I love the color.

Everytime Ive started a ribbed hat in one size needle and moved to a bigger for the next part I have never been happy with it. Either the wearer folds their hat at a place that looks silly to me (hypercritical perhaps) or I end up wishing I had just stayed with a smaller needle size for the entire project. But if the decreases call for a new size needle it looks fine, but I'm a hataholic knitter and have never been able to switch sizes from brim to head and make it look smoothe.

I used the same size needle throughout the hat. It was a size 7-16in circ for the most part and then I switched to two circs to do the smaller decrease area.

Thanks!

Carol_OH
11-19-2005, 12:54 PM
:cheering: looks great!!!

rebecca
11-19-2005, 01:52 PM
:cheering: STUPENDOUS & MOST EXCELLENT JOB :cheering: :cheering:

Racerkatie
11-19-2005, 06:51 PM
Jan,

some data points/observations to help on your question ... on the little hat I just finished I had thought I should block the hat and in the process press up the bottom fold so that it would fold rather than roll. Beside the fact that I was disappointed in how blocking it smushed the texture, I think the bottom edge that I folded up did indeed stretch out/flare out a bit (may not be noticeable in the picture I posted, but it was enough to make me pout a little). Sounds to me like your idea of making that initial edge either a few stiches fewer OR starting with one size smaller needle and switching after the ribbing might just be the right idea. Besides not blocking the hat like I did.... I'll be anxious to hear if you think this one ends up looking ok or slightly flared.

Jan in CA
11-19-2005, 07:17 PM
I'll be anxious to hear if you think this one ends up looking ok or slightly flared.

Actually it worked out fine. I didn't do anything to it and the edge seems to lay nicely. I forgot about having enough stitches for the pattern so the smaller needle for a few rows is a good idea!

Racerkatie
11-19-2005, 08:02 PM
yeah, it looks very wonderful. :cheering: I may have to try that one.

Racerkatie
11-19-2005, 08:08 PM
BTW, my little friend Helen is here (we're all here to watch to see if my California Golden Bears can keep the Axe away from that Stanfurd Cardinal) and she looked over my shoulder to see the picture of your hat and said, "_That_ looks very nice."

Jan in CA
11-19-2005, 09:52 PM
BTW, my little friend Helen is here (we're all here to watch to see if my California Golden Bears can keep the Axe away from that Stanfurd Cardinal) and she looked over my shoulder to see the picture of your hat and said, "_That_ looks very nice."

Hehe, we watched the Michigan vs Ohio game today. My daughter is in graduate school at the U of M.

Thanks Helen! ;)