PDA

View Full Version : FO Swallowtail Shawl

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 05:19 PM
It was so hard to get a good picture. I tried inside and out. I can't believe I knit the whooooole thing! That's a magazne up in the corner for size reference.

liznwillow
11-17-2005, 05:24 PM
HOLY SH*T!!!! That must have taken forever!! It is absolutely stunning. Is that just knitting and purling??

rebecca
11-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Ingrid...OMGoodness, it's more beautiful than I expected!! That is so lovely...I thought it was gonna take forever, you knit that rather quickly..I remember you mentioning beginning it not that long ago...not for such a project!!! You are...a knitting goddess :notworthy:

mshelton
11-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Wowwwww!!!! Totally stunning. :inlove: How hard was it to knit? I thinking about trying it one of the days (sometime after Xmas) and definately all for myself :blush: (along with the other several projects)

jelly
11-17-2005, 05:39 PM
:shock:

i'm speechless

that is stunning

that's it. that's the list. just stunning.

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks everybody! I'm really glad I got it done. I have a feeling that without this forum, I would have abandoned it.

Let's see. It is mostly stockinette and purled garter, with lots of yos and p2tog, and p2tog tbl, and another stith that involves slipping as if to purl through back loops and making a yo and passing the slipped stitches over. Not hard, but time consuming.

I started this with a different yarn during the summer, but stopped about a third of the way through--it just wasn't showing the pattern. I started this one in the summer too, I guess, but took lots of breaks. The final third, well a third from bottom to top--more laterally--only took a few weeks. I'd have to go back and check, but I know it was after the November challenge started, so maybe two weeks.

liznwillow
11-17-2005, 05:52 PM
You must have felt so good when you finished that one! WOW!

KnittinKitten
11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
:roflhard: I echo Liz's reaction. That is nothiing short of amazing. Not only do I not have the skills for that ... but I couldn't stick with it long enough to get one lil antennae done!

Kudos to St. Ingrid! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
:XX:

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 05:54 PM
You know, it really is a relief. I loved the yarn, though--merino--and I have lots left over, so I'll get to use it again. Just not for anything this big that needs such constant attention to the pattern.

rebecca
11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Ingrid, this is for you, right?!

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Ingrid, this is for you, right?!

Nope. I just wanted to knit it. I'm not a shawl person--they just get in the way. I wasn't sure who to give it to--my older daughter or my son's girlfriend, so I showed to to my dd and she said basically that it was nice and her apartment has cold spots, so she'd wear it around the house. :shock:

It's going to my son's girlfriend. I know she'll wear it with style--not leave it bunched up on a chair somewhere.

mintdee
11-17-2005, 06:30 PM
That is one lucky girl! Your shawl is so beautiful. :inlove:

foothills
11-17-2005, 06:30 PM
It is as beautiful as I thought it would be Ingrid...fit for the First Lady ;) ...what will you do with yourself now that it's finished? :lol:

Joyce

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 06:46 PM
It is as beautiful as I thought it would be Ingrid...fit for the First Lady ;) ...what will you do with yourself now that it's finished? :lol:

Joyce

:roflhard: :roflhard: That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!!

Thanks for the compliment! I think I might have a thing or two around here to work on. :rollseyes:

Silver
11-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Ingrid! Fabulous job on it. Just breathtaking. Your son's girlfriend is one lucky chick!

What yarn did you start with and why didn't it show the pattern? I haven't started mine yet, and won't for a while still, but now you have me wondering if I should go with a different yarn. What do you think?

kemp
11-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Absolutely fabulous! I can't believe you're giving it away. You should hang it on a wall in your house!

Jeep_Girl
11-17-2005, 07:23 PM
WOW

:notworthy:

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Ingrid! Fabulous job on it. Just breathtaking. Your son's girlfriend is one lucky chick!

What yarn did you start with and why didn't it show the pattern? I haven't started mine yet, and won't for a while still, but now you have me wondering if I should go with a different yarn. What do you think?

Thank you, Silver, and everyone else!

I started with a mercerized cotton--Lara from elann. It's a dk weight. I think it didn't work because it's got a sheen to it which makes it slick and the yo's just kind of closed up.

I used merino dk on the finished one.

I don't know how the fingering weight will work. The pattern is done with the stockinette and garter stitch, with the yo's/p2togs mainly for definition between the sections. The pattern starts with the bottom points, though, so you don't have to knit too much to see if the yarn will work. I was in denial, I think, and kept hoping things would improve.

KellyK
11-17-2005, 08:00 PM
I also think that the lighter color showed the patterning better.

Ingrid, honestly.....Im just AGAPE! :shock:

They should re-write that pattern starting at the CO edge so it goes FASTER as you move along...

gimmesanity
11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
wow, Ingrid, that's absolutely beautiful!
I can't believe you're giving it away...girl, I'd LEARN to like shawls. hehe.

~Sharon

Mer
11-17-2005, 08:04 PM
So pretty, Ingrid! :heart:

Ingrid
11-17-2005, 08:19 PM
I also think that the lighter color showed the patterning better.

They should re-write that pattern starting at the CO edge so it goes FASTER as you move along...

I had tried it in light pink, too; then I thought the purple would show it better. I think the merino clings to itself better so the stitches stayed put. Plus it's cushy-mushy.

Throughout the pattern, I had the same thought about the direction. Casting on would have been a pain, but it would have gotten smaller and smaller.

Thank you Mer and Sharon! I'm glad to give this as a gift--so much better than just buying her something. I could just see me getting the ends caught in my rolly chair at work.

Sascha
11-17-2005, 08:22 PM
WOW!!!! :heart:

Jouf
11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
Amazing!

kitkat
11-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Ingrid, its fabulous. You guys are really inspiring.

Kirstin, I think that yarn will not work and you should just send it right to my house so it won't be sad. HA!

Julie
11-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Wow Ingrid...it's beautiful!!! :cheering:

dustinac
11-17-2005, 10:46 PM
:cheering: That is soo pretty looks wonderful!!

Ronda
11-17-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm just speechless. (Where is the bowing and worshiping smiley?)

11-17-2005, 11:25 PM
ok, am I blind, I don't see any picture??? I wanna see, it sounds so beautiful!!!

hippodamia
11-17-2005, 11:31 PM
ok, am I blind, I don't see any picture??? I wanna see, it sounds so beautiful!!!

doh!! :doh: I wasn't logged! That is beautiful!!! :cheering: :heart: :cheering:

Angelia
11-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Wow, Ingrid!

That is just STUNNING! :inlove: :inlove:

I think I might have to put my needles away now...!

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
Wow, Ingrid!

Oh no! I've been knitting on and off for DECADES! Don't you dare even joke about putting away your needles. :fingerwag:

Thank you everyone!! :heart:

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 01:03 AM
Ingrid,

There's nothing left to say! It's incredible! You rank right up there w/ your Dad when it comes to being a master of your craft. I know your son's girlfriend will love it. Wow.

Now ... *why* didn't you knit the butterfly in color? :??

{ducking and running ... woosh!}

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 01:08 AM
I didn't knit the butterfly in color because I have responsibilities that require me to be here rather than in the INSANE ASYLUM! :rofling:

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 01:20 AM
I didn't knit the butterfly in color because I have responsibilities that require me to be here rather than in the INSANE ASYLUM! :rofling:

http://static.flickr.com/26/55951450_9c0f07f5d3_o.gif

Sorry ... I just couldn't resist.

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 01:23 AM
:thinking: It would look cool in Monarch colors, though :thinking:

SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

DotMom61
11-18-2005, 01:35 AM
:thinking: It would look cool in Monarch colors, though :thinking:

That's *exactly* what I was thinking, and knowing you and your colorwork ... welll .....

OK ... never mind! DON'T DO IT!

=== Now I feel bad ... cause it's so gorgeous as it is ... I really was only teasing about the colors ... ===

Jan in CA
11-18-2005, 02:53 AM
Wow!! :shock: That is stunning! I'm not a shawl person either, but I can appreciate beauty and the hard work that went into it! I sure hope your sons gf does, too!

When my little hat grows up it wants to be something fabulous, too!

humblestumble
11-18-2005, 03:00 AM
Great job :shock:

Angelia
11-18-2005, 08:00 AM
Wow, Ingrid!

Oh no! I've been knitting on and off for DECADES! Don't you dare even joke about putting away your needles. :fingerwag:

I am sorry sorry sorry :oops:

I will do knitting penance for my sacrilege!

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
You are required to do 6 inches of seed stitch!

I can't stand seed stitch--so annoying!

kemp
11-18-2005, 09:51 AM
I scrolled through the thread but I might have missed it...sorry if you've already answered...where did you find the pattern?

Ingrid
11-18-2005, 09:57 AM
You're right--I should give credit where the real credit is due--its a pattern from www.needlebeetle.com

kemp
11-18-2005, 10:00 AM
I think yours shows up a lot better than hers does in the pattern picutre. Maybe you ought to see if she'd like a new photograph. I think yours would sell it so much better.

Angelia
11-18-2005, 10:19 AM
You are required to do 6 inches of seed stitch!

I can't stand seed stitch--so annoying!

Ack! :shock:

But, I will take my punishment...

(It's as annoying to me as ribbing...don't like it much, either, even when it's k2p2...)

Silver
11-21-2005, 10:36 AM
Kirstin, I think that yarn will not work and you should just send it right to my house so it won't be sad. HA!
You're so kind! Thank you so much for the offer, but I think I will suffer through having to find another job for it. I wouldn't want to stress you out over it. :D

kates530
11-21-2005, 11:14 AM
beautiful Ingrid! I wish I had the discipline to make something that detailed! kudos to you!

Ellen Edwards
11-21-2005, 04:00 PM
That is really stunning..you know--it really SHOULD be displayed so that one can see the Butterfly on it!! It hope your daughter--or son's girl - will place it so everyone can see that beautiful handwork. I can't imagine ever undertaking such a pattern--I know I don't have those concentration skills anymore! :(

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 05:38 PM
Thank you. I just want her to love it.

KnittinKitten
11-21-2005, 05:48 PM
She'll have all of us to answer to if she doesn't go GA-GA over it!

:XX:

KellyK
11-21-2005, 06:51 PM
DAMN STRAIGHT!!! :mad:

Ingrid
11-21-2005, 06:53 PM
If she doesn't gush, I'll sic you all on her! :twisted: