PDA

View Full Version : FO: Hat for BIL

Vendie
11-20-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm desparately trying to finish BIL Brian's hat today. I just about had it, tried it on......too short. Darn. Well, it looked good on me, but I doubt it would have on Brian.

Gave me an excellent opportunity to try Amy's video on inserting your needle in a destination row before unraveling (see Basic Techniques ->...More). It really works, just be sure you're grabbing the stitch from the same row all around. I had a hard time distinguishing between rows 8 and 9 :rollseyes: geesh, can't even blame it on alcohol.

Back on track and adding length to the hat. I would really like to get it done tonight, but we'll see.

I'm using Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca in medium blue and white, US 5 needle. I'm using a basic hat pattern from The Knitters Handy Book of Patterns, doing my own funky striping thing. Do you think I should add another stripe (or set of stripes) or just leave it blue to the top?

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b73/fridaknits/blog%20pictures/hatforbrian.jpg

Ingrid
11-20-2005, 07:54 PM
I love that color blue! I'd just leave the two stripes--very classy. Good work on the non-frogging. I have trouble keeping track of which row I'm on, too, unless there's a color change or pattern. Better than the alternative, though!

Vendie
11-20-2005, 07:57 PM
yeah, I'm kinda liking the single set of stripes there too. I might have to make a hat with the opposite patterning b/c I'm going to have nearly a whole ball of that white left....

usamacka
11-20-2005, 07:58 PM
how about just a very small stripe....one or two rows of the alternate color closer to the crown....it is very nice!

Jeep_Girl
11-20-2005, 09:36 PM
I think that blue the rest of the way would be good for a guy. Great job on the hat!

KellyK
11-20-2005, 10:40 PM
I vote no more stripes....that leaves you more white for a hat for YOU!! :mrgreen:

Sascha
11-20-2005, 11:32 PM
I'd leave it the way it is. Its really nice!

Sascha
11-20-2005, 11:33 PM
I'd leave it the way it is. Its really nice!

rebecca
11-20-2005, 11:39 PM
Very 8-) cool to learn new techniques when we mess up, don't ya think?! I really love it just the way it is, very nice, very classy, very manly, he will :heart: it! It will be worn often :thumbsup:

Julie
11-20-2005, 11:41 PM
I agree -- it looks great as-is (stripewise). :thumbsup:

Vendie
11-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Well thanks for the input everyone :D I finished the hat with no extra stripes. I really like the way that it turned out. It fits me perfectly, and is a little big on DH, which means it should fit Brian just right...I can't believe I have a bigger head than DH :??

Anywho...I'll post a picture of the modeled hat when I'm decent and DH is awake to take the pic. :cheering: Yay! Another FO!

KellyK
11-21-2005, 08:37 AM
When you're DECENT..... :lol:

dustinac
11-21-2005, 09:59 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

Love the hat can't wait to see the picture when your "decent".. although dh might want a picture of ya undecent and the hat :eyebrow: hubba hubba

kemp
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Can't wait to see it! I really like just the two stripes.

I have a big head too :)

Vendie
11-21-2005, 10:08 AM

Love the hat can't wait to see the picture when your "decent".. although dh might want a picture of ya undecent and the hat :eyebrow: hubba hubba

I don't get it. What, I look awful first thing in the morning, that's all I meant.

And see if we do that, then we could never look Brian in the eye while he was wearing it. It would be tainted. And wrong. :roflhard: *shivers*

feministmama
11-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Oh puleez! None of us are "decent" around here. And we like it that way!!

Oh yeah, umm... the reason I'm here... um....Nice hat. :lol:

punkhippiemom
11-21-2005, 05:28 PM

I have to agree with you, FG, any 'posing' and it would just be too wierd to see someone wearing it... :help: :roflhard:

You forgot to mention how :inlove: soft :inlove: it is, because you :heart: WUV :heart: your remedially follicled BIL sooo much....

Vendie
11-21-2005, 07:07 PM

I have to agree with you, FG, any 'posing' and it would just be too wierd to see someone wearing it... :help: :roflhard:

You forgot to mention how :inlove: soft :inlove: it is, because you :heart: WUV :heart: your remedially follicled BIL sooo much....

:rollseyes: I don't know if I would go that far, PHM, I mean he's nice and all, but we work for competing companies, so I don't know how much "wuv" there is :D just kidding, he's a great guy. I _did_ think about putting my company's logo on the hat, but I thought the better of it. I mean, the yarn was kinda pricey to be a gag gift.

Vendie
11-21-2005, 08:23 PM
ok, so after several serious attempts at trying to take my picture in this toque, I caved in to my inner dork.

Carol_OH
11-21-2005, 08:48 PM
awwww what a cutie!!!!

and the hat is great too!

dustinac
11-21-2005, 10:02 PM
:thumbsup: Great job!! He will love it :cheering: