PDA

View Full Version : KH Monthly Challenge--December

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-01-2005, 08:01 AM
December is one of my favoite months. Not because of Christmas, or the long break from schoo, but because it is a festive, colorful break from the drab bleakness of November. In accordance, the theme for December is:

Knit something C O L O R F U L

Do you need some inspiration?
December 1st is the day of many celebrations, both nation- and world-wide. Today, we celebrate World AIDS Day, Eat a Red Apple Day and Rosa Parks Day; already, on the first day, we have a theme of RED

The flower for December is the Narcissus---delicate white, which also matches the 5 inches of snow I woke up to this morning for the first time this season.

The December stone is Blue Topaz or Turquoise; Hanukkah is associated with Blue and White because they are the colors of the Israeli flag.

Celebrate Kwanza--family, community and culture-- with Red, Black and Green.

My favorite Holiday Song--Silver and Gold! Wouldn't that make a fabulous Fun Fur capelet or scarf to wear to those holiday paarties and new year's eve!

Pointsettia Day is Dec. 12th ... I prefer the pink ones, myself.

Celebrate all those pine needles on your floor by knitting something green!

This is a GREAT challenge for those of you who want to try your first colorwork project--using more than one color in a row! OR, if you're already knitting SOMETHING, and it's a COLOR (as opposed to clear!) you get to participate too!!!! Remember, you can participate in the challenge without starting a brand new project--work it into those presents you'll be furiously knitting over the next few weeks!

Happy Knitting :-)

KellyK
12-01-2005, 08:12 AM
:cheering: YAYYYYYYYYYY!!! :cheering:

Everything on my to-do list has a color! GREAT one, Hild!!!

Ingrid
12-01-2005, 08:13 AM
Great idea Hildie! Every holiday gift can be included in one way or another, and it's an opportunity for people to do the "some day I'm gonna try that color work." :cheering:

earthchick
12-01-2005, 08:19 AM
Hmm, so the cream colored NEBB I'm working on probably doesn't qualify. :thinking:

But I AM getting ready to try my first adult hat, and it'll be in a Manos colorway - that counts right? :happydance: (my first KAL!)

CateKnits
12-01-2005, 09:13 AM
Everything I'm knitting is a color! Yay for me! :roflhard:
I think I'm going to use this as a sign that I need to finish my self-"striping" socks. :rollseyes:

kemp
12-01-2005, 09:44 AM
How fun!

Does black or white count as a color? How about puke green? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

(unfortunately, I am not kidding. Those are the lovely colors I have on the needles right now!)

knitncook
12-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Fun fun fun. I'm knitting some yellow and blue slipper socks so I guess that counts :D

nicolethegeek
12-01-2005, 10:31 AM
YAY!!! I'm partcipating too! I'm working on a black and red striped winter set for 3 yo DS... I've got three other sets to complete, one striped, two in wild varis. Then I've got a ton of camo yarn to make into socks.
Gonna be a colourful month here too {esp with my words if I keep making all the mistakes I have been lately!}. :roflhard:

Angelia
12-01-2005, 11:09 AM
Thanks for making this an easy-but-festive one, Hildie!

Woo hoo!! :cheering: I'm participating:

FT clogs (starting this weekend) in cherry blossom...

booga in carrot & chestnut (thought I'd ordered pumpkin and maple syrup...I think I was hungry)

socks in green, socks in Simple Stripes Autumn

hat in red

....More color to come!

Sara
12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
What an excellent transition from last month! I felted my mittens (a first for me!) last night and today I will be making my first attempt at colorwork. The brim of my hat will have a band of diagonal stripes. I'm making it to match my moebius that was made with Manos "Prairie" colorway. I found a much less expensive yarn in matching colors. The mittens and most of the hat are dark brown, the band will be brown, light rust and maroon. I'm so happy!!

VickiIL
12-01-2005, 11:21 AM
I guess I am in too. (As long as self striping yarn counts!) I am doing fingerless mittens in KP Sock Landscape. And a cape for my dd in Noro Kurieyon.

jsauer
12-01-2005, 01:16 PM
um, do the four simple ponchos in self-striping foliage that I'm making for gifts count? 'Cause I'm all over this challenge if they're eligible!

jsauer
12-01-2005, 01:20 PM
um, do the four simple ponchos in self-striping foliage that I'm making for gifts count? 'Cause I'm all over this challenge if they're eligible!

Jan in CA
12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Yeah! I've got some self striping colorful yarn for socks, and some colorful WOTA for my bag! Great idea for a simple KA for the holidays!

rebecca
12-01-2005, 01:49 PM
:happydance: :happydance: YAY I'm in...I cast on yesterday for Backyard Leaves scarf using WOTA in fern...my only color projects this month will be this ensemble....then I go to tan & gray shawls ;)
Oh...and, give ME all of your projects bc my bday is this month...Hilde should have added that, but forgot :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-01-2005, 02:12 PM
YAY!!!!

I really tried to make it as EASY to participate as possible. I guess if what you're knitting has a holiday color theme (red, green, blue) it can count as extra special :cheering:

And yes, cream, puke green, white and black are colors. :roflhard: CLEAR is not a color :-) Self-striping yarn counts!

I would like to see some colorwork going on... spread your wings, people! Venture into the the realm of discovery! hey the anniversary of the Pilgrims landing on Plymouth Rock is in December--follow in their foorsteps and explore new (knitting) territory!

VickiIL
12-01-2005, 02:20 PM
I would like to see some colorwork going on... spread your wings, people! Venture into the the realm of discovery! hey the anniversary of the Pilgrims landing on Plymouth Rock is in December--follow in their foorsteps and explore new (knitting) territory!

That is really something I am dying to try however I am going to have to wait until after Christmas. Too many projects still to do for Christmas.

Jan in CA
12-01-2005, 03:11 PM
And yes, cream, puke green, white and black are colors. Rolling On Floor Laughing Hard CLEAR is not a color Smiling Self-striping yarn counts!

So what you're saying is pretty much anything goes. ;)

I've never seen clear yarn.. might make an interesting sweater and it would certainly draw attention. ;) :roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid
12-01-2005, 03:25 PM
And yes, cream, puke green, white and black are colors. Rolling On Floor Laughing Hard CLEAR is not a color Smiling Self-striping yarn counts!

I've never seen clear yarn.. might make an interesting sweater and it would certainly draw attention. ;) :roflhard: :roflhard:

You can buy some at www.emperor'stailors.com ;)

CarmenIbanez
12-01-2005, 04:32 PM
I JUST picked out a REALLY RED color to use on a project I am knitting for a friend. YAY! I'm in! My first KAL.

CarmenIbanez
12-01-2005, 04:33 PM
[You can buy some at www.emperor'stailors.com ;)

HAHAHAHA I always wondered how they made his new clothes!

rebecca
12-01-2005, 04:50 PM
;) That was a good one, Ingrid :D !!
I, too, have all sorts of color (mosaic, fairisle, intarsia, u name it) work & other things planned ..... for after I finish my current project list.... BUT I did cast on in a color that I've never used before :happydance: :happydance: I say that & when my new A Knitting Glossary DVD (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=80250) that my :inlove: sweetums :inlove: ordered for my for my bday gets here...there's no telling what I will do!! 4 hours of EZ on dvd...just WOW!!! And a friend of mine that is a good friend of Meg Swansen tells me that all of EZ's videos are going to be put on dvd in 2006 :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

aprildavis99
12-01-2005, 05:50 PM
I am making scarves with 5 strands of eyelash yarn (each a different color) and using size 17 needles. They will be my "Fiesta" Long and Skinny scarves.

I also just started my Rogue Hoodie in KP Merino Honey colored yarn. :cheering:

Vendie
12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Ok this is cheating, so don't worry, I'll work on something else for this KAL....but here's a green hat I just finished!!! It fits in November's KAL too, b/c it was the first time I knitted using the stranding method for the different colors. I learned how to knit English style with this hat.

Jan in CA
12-01-2005, 08:01 PM

You can buy some at www.emperor'stailors.com ;)

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Jenelle
12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
Hmm.. I'll participate. :)

I'm double knitting a off white and an olive green hot pad for my mom. :D

And knitting everyone in my family something... will have to take pictures of my neices booties that I am going to make for her :)

ahhh such fun knitting :XX:

Holly
12-02-2005, 12:50 AM
I've been meaning to learn how to add color with a technique such as using a color chart, and your color challenge seems like a good time to try! Anybody have a suggestion for a first, easier project for learning how to knit with color? A hat maybe? Hmmm :thinking:

Holly

humblestumble
12-02-2005, 01:31 AM
The flower for December is the Narcissus---delicate white, which also matches the 5 inches of snow I woke up to this morning for the first time this season.

Gosh, you are so fortunate! It's only like in the 70s here...

I really want to get in on this challenge... I only hope I have the time :shock:

And Holly, try doing a mosaic knitted hat, it's a really simple technique with hardly any weaving in of the ends! I'm going to try this technique again soon.

brightspot
12-02-2005, 02:15 AM
I'm in if I can combine last month's challenge with this month's challenge. The hat I am knitting (for me for the first time) is black with chunks of bright color. Beautiful!! I chose the perfect yarn for it since I haven't ever found any yarn that was me before! (see 2 firsts :D )

Jazzmatazz
12-02-2005, 08:38 AM
I cast on for socks last night using Knitpicks Simple Stripes in Tropics. That's probably the most colorful yarn I've used, not that it's very wintery.

susies1955
12-02-2005, 08:41 AM
This will be a FIRST for me. I'm going to do a RED APPLE dishcloth. :)
Susie

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-02-2005, 08:05 PM
great! all the projects sound fantastic!

I lost the ******ing cord to connect my *******ing camera to the ******* computer, so I can't take a picture of my nephew's uber-ugly hat! But it's done, in 5 hideous colors of WOTA. (colors that look nice in general, just not together! but he picked them!)

well, no that's a lie. I can take the picture, I just can't show it to you all. yet!

Jenelle
12-02-2005, 10:14 PM
Hmm... would using a multi-colored yarn be allowed? Or do we have to do color changes?

susies1955
12-03-2005, 12:21 PM
This will be a FIRST for me. I'm going to do a RED APPLE dishcloth. :)
Susie

I changed my mind already. LOL, I MIGHT make the three crosses dishcloth in red for the blood of Christ and white trim for his purity http://www.knittingknonsense.com/3crossescloth.html OR do a dishcloth with musical notes on it for all the great Christmas music. http://www.knittingknonsense.com/musicnotes.html OR maybe a fish for Christ feeding the fish in green. http://www.crochetnmore.com/betsythebass.htm
I really don't know what I'm doing. LOL,
Susie

foldedbird
12-03-2005, 12:35 PM
Here's some more inspiration for you...
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multidirectional/

This is the Y! group of Iris Schreier, the author of Modular Knits. If you subscribe, you can find all of her tutorials in the files section of the group, and you'll also get tutorials in your e-mail.

I think I'm going to try the Bulls Eye Square today at the YA-YA meeting.

brightspot
12-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Ok I am annoyed. I finished the hat. (November-December project?) It was made with smaller yarn than I used on my mother's, but it is bigger :?? The ribbing is also not stretchy. I have never had this problem before. I am going to try sewing the ribbing with elastic thread to make it stretchy and I will let you know if it came out better. :thinking:

Julie
12-05-2005, 02:13 AM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and did colorwork that required more than two colors. :shock: I'm skeered of weaving in all those freakin' ends...but it's off the needles!

The bottom pattern was supposed to be repeated above the hearts but that would have mede for one freakishly tall hat. And I really wish I'd done a roll-brim instead of ribbing...but oh well...all in all it wasn't that painful, and I'll let it out of the house. ;)

brightspot
12-05-2005, 02:17 AM
Ok the hat is now a ball of yarn. My youngest daughter said that it looked like a shower cap (pretty much echoing my thoughts). I am going to reknit it into a different kind of hat/scarf combination thing. I will keep you posted.

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 09:02 AM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and did colorwork that required more than two colors. :shock: I'm skeered of weaving in all those freakin' ends...but it's off the needles!

The bottom pattern was supposed to be repeated above the hearts but that would have mede for one freakishly tall hat. And I really wish I'd done a roll-brim instead of ribbing...but oh well...all in all it wasn't that painful, and I'll let it out of the house. ;)

It looks wonderful the way it is! Great job!!

margie
12-05-2005, 10:01 AM
Okay, I think I combined the November/December KAL's into one- I originally said that I was going to try socks for the November KAL. I realized that it wasn't going to happen, and did my first hat instead. For December, I did manage my first sock, and it is colorful!!

earthchick
12-05-2005, 10:32 AM
Julie, beautiful hat!!!

Margie, great socks!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Love the hat AND the socks!!!!

Ilikesoup
12-05-2005, 02:38 PM
My birthday is tomorrow, do I get stuff too? :D

I'm working on a red scarf in Sidar Snowflake for my mother in law. Hopefully I get it done. This is one hard yarn to use! It's so soft though, that I think it will be worth it. I hope! ;)

Jan in CA
12-05-2005, 03:55 PM
My birthday is tomorrow, do I get stuff too? :D

Hey, mine is tomorrow, too! Great day for a birthday! ;)

Julie
12-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Wow, no kidding...blocking colorwork does really make all the difference. I just finished and it feels like a different hat! :D

earthchick
12-06-2005, 11:04 AM
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Jan and Ilikesoup!! :cheering: :cheering:

I'm almost finished with my KAL project - a hat I started on Friday night, done in a Manos colorway (my first adult hat!). Problem is this - I'm knitting along :XX: , totally enjoying the yumminess of the manos wool :heart: , and suddenly it occurs to me :doh: . The person I'm making this for (dh's ds) is a vegan :shock: . Does this mean he doesn't wear wool? :thinking: I'm afraid it does. :( The only way to find out if he wears wool or not is to kind of blow the surprise of a knitted Christmas gift. So I'm in a bit of a conundrum. :??

Oh well. DH really likes the hat and wants it if his son won't have it. I guess I need to decide if I'm willing to go ahead and knit another hat in a non-animal fiber, just in case.... :rollseyes:

[I'm trying to set a personal record for most number of smilies in one post.... :happydance:

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 12:09 PM
:balloons: Happy Birthday, Jan & ILikeSoup!!! :balloons:

My Dec. project is a pair of socks for DD using Lion Brand Magic Stripes Jelly Bean that I had left over from my niece's hat. It knits up *much* nicer into socks ... duh huh ... maybe that's why it's SOCK YARN?! :??

I didn't *intend* for this to be my Dec. project, but since I've started them, and they're colorful, WHY NOT? :D

Edited to add picture ...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-06-2005, 01:35 PM
wow that's a bright sock!!!!

Earth chick, you can always KEEP the hat for YOURSELF!

Julie
12-06-2005, 02:46 PM
:roflhard: Julie, that sock looks strangely familiar....

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 05:52 PM
:roflhard: Julie, that sock looks strangely familiar....

Whoa! That's really weird! Mine isn't really as bright as it looks in that picture. It's the fault of the really bad cell phone camera I used. I'll take a better picture when I have more time.

Right now I'm supposed to be putting on some make-up and getting ready to go to a Christmas party at Loyola. I'd rather be knitting on the sock. :oops:

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 05:57 PM
The person I'm making this for (dh's ds) is a vegan :shock: . Does this mean he doesn't wear wool?

Vegans don't wear wool?? I thought they just didn't EAT animal products; I had no idea they also didn't WEAR them! What if it does no harm to the animal? I really thought it was a GOOD thing to shear sheep, etc. Very interesting. :thinking: I guess I won't be knitting anything for my vegan hair dresser, either, then.

KellyK
12-06-2005, 06:25 PM
I would ASK. I think that "orthodox" vegans dont wear animal products...but Im not sure that ALL dont.

humblestumble
12-06-2005, 06:59 PM
yea, I knew some "vegans" and it didnt matter...anything associated was like forbidden.

I use quotes because the said people were contradictory against their words with some issues.

I think that with wool it would be fine because they dont hurt the animal during that.

earthchick
12-06-2005, 11:51 PM
Yeah, I think I'm going to have to ask b/c I definitely think it depends on the vegan. I once had a vegan roommate who ate honey. So the first time dh's son visited us right after we were married, I made this big pot of what I thought was vegan soup only to find out he couldn't/wouldn't eat it because it had honey in it! :doh:

He has relaxed somewhat on the honey issue, depending on whether it comes from a "humane" source or not. So I guess it would depend on whether or not I can determine if the wool came from an ethical source. Its Manos wool, so at least I was helping out a women's collective by purchasing it, so maybe that will be in my favor! :happydance:

Meanwhile, I finished the hat earlier tonight. I must say it looks pretty great! Will post pics when I can. If dss won't have it, dh and I may be fighting over who gets to keep it! I want him to have it, and he wants me to have it (he thinks it looks good on me, even though I knit the man's size and picked out what I thought were more masculine colors).

Now I'm back to knitting my NEBB and may be redoing my toddler hats soon. I made mistakes with the shaping of both of those and think I'm ready for another go at making them right. I may branch out and try doing stripes for the first time ever! :D

Julie
12-07-2005, 01:34 AM
I finished the first of my colorful socks today -- I followed Silver's formula until I got to the end, then I referenced the Spun funny-little-socks-pattern for the end. We have a little friend with sock issues -- she's refusing to wear them right now because she likes the feel of her toes moving around in her shoes. Hopefully these will get her stamp of approval! ;)

KellyK
12-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Julie....that is SO cute! And what a funny story and great compromise! :roflhard:

earthchick
12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
Julie, those are so CUTE!! :thumbsup:

margie
12-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Julie, I love your socks!! They made me laugh- when I was making my son's socks (or sock, since I haven't made the other one yet), I had him try it on to see how much further I needed to go on length- he said "Mommy, this feels good like this- leave it like this!". I told him since it was my first sock, I wanted to do the toe, too- and that I would make him a pair of toe-less socks another time!! :D

DotMom61
12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
So, cute, Julie!! I never thought about "toeless" socks!! You're a good friend to accommodate that little idiosyncrasy.

Angelia
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
Love the socks, Julie! I would never have thought of toeless socks either...largely because I would never wear such a thing since I don't like my toes running amok in my shoes! :D

Here's my contribution to the December KAL! This was a first for me in many ways: First hat, first fair isle, and first attempt to knit using the English method. English wasn't hard at all, though it did cause problems for me when I'd switch back to continental...I made a couple of YOs. Ooops :rollseyes:

Oh, and I'm sure it's fairly obvious that I didn't follow any sort of overall pattern, hence the off-white stitches that seem oddly out of place :) I was just goofing on fair isle...It was fun except for the weaving the ends bit. UGH. That was horribly tedious.

Ingrid
12-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Excellent job on the fair isle!!

Andrea
12-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Julie, love the socks!
Angelia, great job on Fair Isle...don't know if I'll ever have the courage to try it!!

Angelia
12-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Julie, love the socks!
Angelia, great job on Fair Isle...don't know if I'll ever have the courage to try it!!

It's not hard at all, and it's easy to knit once you get the two colors thing worked out :)

Give it a go! :thumbsup:

KellyK
12-08-2005, 12:52 AM
I dont know why you think those white sts look out of place....I REALLY think its a WONDERFUL hat!! And the back is so NEAT!!! :shock:

earthchick
12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Wow, gorgeous hat!!! :cheering:

Jan in CA
12-08-2005, 12:15 PM
I love that hat!!

The socks are so pretty and colorful!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2005, 12:32 PM
toeless socks! FUN!!!!

I love the hat, Angelia! Looks fabulous... and even better, it's your OWN design!!! Congrats!

vcuchica931
12-08-2005, 10:18 PM
i love everything!

I'm doing color work too, although its not as extensive as the work shown here. I'm doing a scarf for my boyfriend and it's grey with a couple of blue stripes at the end. The scarf is ribbed throughout. Its my first attempt at doing anything other than garter stitch and my first time with colorwork.
its going roughly, but at least its going.

Angelia
12-08-2005, 10:50 PM
toeless socks! FUN!!!!

I love the hat, Angelia! Looks fabulous... and even better, it's your OWN design!!! Congrats!

How sweet of you Hildie to call it a "design"! :rofling:

And good for you, Shayla, to venture beyond garter stitch and to add color! It's not hard at all. I can't wait to see the finished product!

Angelia
12-09-2005, 12:46 AM
For all of you cat lovers who need to do some color work, I present the kitty illusion (http://chickybabe.org/driveby/patterns/chart.html)!

earthchick
12-09-2005, 10:03 AM
Oh, Angelia, I LOVE it!!! So cute. Great job.

Okay friends, I'm getting ready to take a big step in the colorwork world (a big step for me!). I'm about to do a stripe. My first stripe. I'm doing a totally new set of toddler hats for my boys (having decided that the i-cord hat just doesn't look right on them), and I'm doing a stripe where the cord is supposed to go. So I just got to the place where the stripe will go, just finished watching the video about a two-color join, and am about to go for it. :happydance:

Angelia
12-09-2005, 10:20 AM
Yay Stacey!!!

:cheering: :cheering:

You'll do just fine--be sure to post pics!

I also use the slip-knot technique from Amy's video--it's great!

DotMom61
12-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Gorgeous hat, Angelia! Your color work is an inspiration!!

And I just saw the Shadow Knitting episode on Knitty Gritty the other day. (We finally upgraded out Dishnetwork subscription.) Very cool, kitty you did there!

aprildavis99
12-09-2005, 04:37 PM
That is soooo cool, Angelia. :cheering:

Angelia
12-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Gorgeous hat, Angelia! Your color work is an inspiration!!

And I just saw the Shadow Knitting episode on Knitty Gritty the other day. (We finally upgraded out Dishnetwork subscription.) Very cool, kitty you did there!

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! The kitty is really easy to knit as long as you keep your place in the pattern :)

I also saw the illusion knitting episode of Knitty Gritty--very cool!

earthchick
12-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Okay, I've made good progress on the toddler hat - the stripe was way easier than I expected. Woohoo!

I'm also including a pic of the non-vegan Manos colorway hat I made for dh's son. I wanted dh to model it for the pic but I couldn't quite convince him - esp. once I told him I was going to post it online! Oh well, I hope the pic below shows enough of how it looks.

vcuchica931
12-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Aw thats a cute hat! Too bad your DH wouldnt model it for all of us!

Angelia, that kitty illusion is cute!!! Where can i read up on illusion knitting?
And thanks for your kind words earlier!

Jan in CA
12-09-2005, 07:36 PM
That is a neat hat! I like the color! I'll have to try a roll brim. VEry cute!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-09-2005, 11:04 PM
MAN, everytime I see your AV it FREAKS ME OUT

Jan in CA
12-10-2005, 12:36 AM
MAN, everytime I see your AV it FREAKS ME OUT

Mine? :shock: :roflhard:

Angelia
12-10-2005, 09:39 AM
Stacey: the hat looks fantastic!! :cheering: :cheering:

Shayla: Here are some websites about illusion knitting, plus there's a thread here at KH (not really a how-to, but there are pattern links)

http://geeyouknit.blogspirit.com/archive/2005/01/26/illusion_knitting_tutorial.html
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6059&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
http://heidisknittingroom.com/IllusionKnittingHowTo.htm
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_dkng/episode/0,2046,DIY_18180_32904,00.html

I'm still working out the mystery of it myself, but it's really cool!

vcuchica931
12-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks for all of the links! I'm going to go look at them right now! The concept is just too cool

earthchick
12-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Gaaaaaah!

So I finished the toddler hat this afternoon, only to discover it's too small for my son!!! The other ones I knit using the largest measurements (which say they are for a child). I thought the hats were a little big for one of my sons, so this time I did the medium measurements (which specify for toddler), and given the measurements I had taken of his head, I thought it would work. Finished the whole freakin' thing, stripe and all, and it won't even begin to fit him. I'm so disgusted, because it was the only thing I had felt like I accomplished today, other than 21 renditions of Good Night Moon and 14 more of their new favorite book (an irritating book that involves pulling little tabs and saying "Ta Da!" on every page!).

I'm ready to be done with the hats b/c I want to start on mittens (which I've never done before).

Oh well. :rollseyes: The hat did turn out pretty cute, at least. I'll post a pic once I get the batteries changed in my camera.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2005, 12:49 AM
oh poop!

can you use it as a gift for a friend? At least then wthe work won't be wasted...

earthchick
12-11-2005, 08:51 AM
"oh poop" is right! (or as my son Rob would say "ooh-oh"

I can definitely give it to someone. As it turns out, dh's dd is going to have a baby in July (I'll be a step-granny! at 35!). She'll find the gender out in February and if it's a boy I can save it for her. Otherwise, I'll pass it on to the friends who I'm making this NEBB for, they have a baby boy who could probably wear it next winter. It'll be a nice gift for someone, I s'pose.

And thanks, everyone, for the nice words about the roll brim hat I did for dss. I love making roll brims! :happydance:

Jeep_Girl
12-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Everyone's projects are wonderful!! So colorful!!! Everything is just spectacular!

I just finished Mer's Woodland Hat
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v166/Jeep99_Girl/Knitted%20Things/IM000897.jpg

KellyK
12-11-2005, 05:32 PM
OOMGG, Lis! Those COLORS!!!

Is that the one Mer made for her Grandma?

Angelia
12-11-2005, 07:03 PM
Oh, Lisa, that is beautiful!! :inlove: :inlove:

Jeep_Girl
12-11-2005, 10:41 PM
OOMGG, Lis! Those COLORS!!!

Is that the one Mer made for her Grandma?

Kelly - it is the one she made for her Grandma - I love Grandma hats!!!

Thanks Angelia - it is El Paso - JiffyThick & Easy Mohair Look Yarn.

earthchick
12-11-2005, 11:17 PM
Great hat!

earthchick
12-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Here is the ill-fated, ill-fitting toddler hat I made this weekend. I'm still bummed that my little boys can't wear it, but I'm happy I learned how to do a stripe! So I plan to start a new hat asap - will do one in red w/ a navy stripe and one in blue with a navy stripe. I hope I have enough blue left for another hat....

Angelia
12-12-2005, 06:15 PM
It looks great! Too bad about the size...but you did accomplish something new!:thumbsup:

That sky blue is beautiful--nice color choice!

susies1955
12-12-2005, 06:56 PM
....... the theme for December is:Knit something C O L O R F U L.......The flower for December is the Narcissus---delicate white, Rosa Parks Day; already, on the first day, we have a theme of RED...........My favorite Holiday Song--
Well, for the Monthly Challenge I made a dishcloth. It is reddish/burgundy and white and musical. :) If you look close you will see the musical notes.
Susie

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-12-2005, 07:39 PM
:cheering: YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :cheering:

I know you did the music notes for ME because i'm a music teacher!!!!!!! How THOUGHTFUL and GENEROUS of you!!!!!!!!! :happydance: :happydance:

Angelia
12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
That's adorable, Susie! :thumbsup:

Sara
12-12-2005, 08:00 PM
Ooh! Forgot about this! Here is my color submission:

susies1955
12-12-2005, 08:14 PM
.......I know you did the music notes for ME because i'm a music teacher

LOL, yup........just for you. :)
Thanks,
Susie

susies1955
12-12-2005, 08:16 PM
That's adorable, Susie! :thumbsup:

Thanks Angela, :)
Susie

Angelia
12-12-2005, 08:56 PM
That hat is lovely, Sara! Why have you called it "stupid hat"? :shock: It looks pretty smart to me!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-12-2005, 09:36 PM
i like the hat!

knitqueen
12-13-2005, 01:53 AM
A question for all you fair-isle-ers complaining about weaving in ends......isn't there a way to weave in the ends as you go so that you don't have to sew them in at the end?? I don't know, I've never tried it, but something tells me there must be a way!

DotMom61
12-13-2005, 10:21 AM
Well, for the Monthly Challenge I made a dishcloth. It is reddish/burgundy and white and musical. :) If you look close you will see the musical notes.
Susie

Susie ... Can you tell me where you go the pattern for that? My children's piano teacher would love something with that design knit into it!

susies1955
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Julie,
That musical notes dishcloth is here:
http://www.knittingknonsense.com/musicnotes.html
Have fun,
Susie

DotMom61
12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Thank you, Susie! I just printed it off.

Sara
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM
I call it "stupid hat" because it doesn't fit me. I love it so much, but it has spurned my passion. So I sold it for $40. I don't refer to it as "stupid" in front of the lady that bought it! ;)

earthchick
12-16-2005, 10:44 AM
I am so over this hat. :rollseyes:

Made it the "right" size this time, and though it technically fits, it doesn't come down over their heads enough. My boys just have big craniums, I guess. It also turns out that I really should've been knittting with a size 6 needle instead of size 7, as the Manos was not the exactly perfect substitution for the Mission Falls cotton that I thought it was. The gauge is slightly smaller, meaning on the size 7 needles the knit is a little looser than I'd like.

Not to mention that it was probably stupid for me to go with cotton for winter hats in Michigan anyway. :doh:

So I'm done with this for now. This pattern (which I've now done 4 times trying to get it just the way I want it - twice with i-cord, twice with stripe but too small) has taught me a lot about making hats and doing stripes, so for that I'm grateful. But I'm moving on. Once Mission Falls starts producing their cotton again, I may try it out for a baby hat, but for my boys I'm going to move on to wool. I'll save the Manos cotton (which I love) to make spring sweaters for them.

Now I'm moving on to my first mittens - also with stripes!

Angelia
12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
That looks great! And I love the chocolatey grin underneath the hat! :D

jhelanee
12-21-2005, 07:23 PM
I just discovered this forum and KAL last week, but realized I had been participating without knowing it! Below are two pictures of the children's hats that I have been knitting to donate to a local charity.

~Jennifer :XX:

DotMom61
12-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Those are gonna be some HAPPY kids that get those hats!!!! :happydance:

Angelia
12-21-2005, 07:41 PM
Wow, those are beautiful! :inlove:

And WELCOME JENNIFER!! :waving:

pkstoll
12-22-2005, 03:14 PM
hi,

I realize this is off topic so I hope I don't cause any problems. I originally posted this to the August Knit Along Topic (on 12/21/05) but didn't receive any responses so I thought I'd try posting here.

I know you all are way past the Kitty bed discussions but I'm making a couple for Christmas and I searched and found your posts and I have a question.

Several of you were discussing doubling up the yarn on the sides to make the bed less floppy. Did any of you try it and if so, what were the results.

I'd appreciate any feedback and again, I'm sorry if this is inappropriate.

thanks,
PK

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-23-2005, 07:33 AM
I'm going to link to this in the general forum, pkstoll, in case some people there have an answer who don't come to this thread. :-)

LOVE THOSE HATS, jhelanee!!!

KellyK
12-23-2005, 08:53 AM
That's ALOTTA warm noggins! They look GREAT!

amy
12-26-2005, 04:59 PM
I love seeing what everyone's working on.

Julie, those toe-less socks are so great! Did you give them to the receiver yet?

Welcome Jennifer! Love the hats! I'm curious about how you made the multi-color swirly one. Was that just some multi-color yarn that created a perfect swirl of many colors? Or did you actually venture into circular intarsia with so many colors? Looks great in any case!

jhelanee
01-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and feedback . :D

Welcome Jennifer! Love the hats! I'm curious about how you made the multi-color swirly one. Was that just some multi-color yarn that created a perfect swirl of many colors? Or did you actually venture into circular intarsia with so many colors? Looks great in any case!

The multi-color swirly one was out of some varigated yarn I had around. Not sure exactly what (it was balled up years ago), but my best guess is basic old Red Heart acrylic. When I started knitting it I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out, but luckily the varigation in the yarn lined up perfectly to create those swirly stripes. :happydance: