PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sweater from a library book

Selena
12-03-2005, 12:36 AM
I made This sweater from a pattern in the Vibeke Lind Book called Knitting in the Nordic Tradition. The tiny sweater is knit in cotton and has a crochet picot edging. Learning to crochet the picot edging was the hardest part.
Has anyone else knit things from this book?
(You can't really see the detail that well. Call it technical difficulties and maybe I should have tried to take a picture using a camera instead of a flat bed scanner.)

Ingrid
12-03-2005, 12:38 AM
That's beautiful!!

KellyK
12-03-2005, 12:40 AM
Now THAT's an heirloom sweater!! :inlove:

Selena
12-03-2005, 12:41 AM
Thanks! It's my very first sweater ever.

shellyloveswords
12-03-2005, 12:42 AM
how precious! and so classic. beautiful

rebecca
12-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Selena...that is GAWGEOUS, dahlin'....simply GAWGEOUS!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Very impressive..job very well done :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
12-03-2005, 02:11 AM
:shock: Wow, I agree with KellyK! Surely an heirloom someday!

aprildavis99
12-03-2005, 04:42 AM
I love it! Definitely heirloom quality. How's this....Heirloom Classics by Selena. Sounds marketable. :mrgreen:

I have seen that book in my local library. I may have to check it out.

Vendie
12-03-2005, 09:59 AM
that's just simply precious. :heart: great job! wow, first sweater!

kemp
12-03-2005, 12:21 PM
So delicate and pretty! That is one lucky baby!

feministmama
12-03-2005, 12:49 PM
Has anyone else knit things from this book?

If the stuff is just as detailed as this, I am so not ready for it. :rollseyes:

earthchick
12-03-2005, 01:06 PM
What a beaut! :thumbsup:

dustinac
12-04-2005, 12:35 PM
thats beautiful great job!! :thumbsup:

Selena
12-04-2005, 01:55 PM
The white cotton sweater is knit all in one piece on two needles. Then the textured pattern parts on the bottom edge and the collar are added. So there are no seams to sew up. Without pointing out all of the errors. I'd be curious to know how an experienced knitter would have put this together though. I'm still not really sure what a twisted stitch is. The pattern calls for this. And I think I may have put the fancy pattern on inside out. Not really sure.
I guess knitting is like making pies. You just have to make a whole lot of them to get the hang of it. I'm guessing if I made ten more of this type I might get the hang of it and make the most symmetrical thing possible.

Now, I started an adult-sized sweater, knit in the round and using the percentage system as described in one of those magazines and in the E. Zimmerman book. I decided that I wanted to have a sort of V neck in a yoke sweater. And then I decided that I wanted to add some stitches in the armpit so the sweater would lend lots of freedom of movement. I think I've bit off more than I can chew. And the thing is absolutely hideous. I started from the bottom edge and knit up. Know it's stuck at about the arm pit. I think maybe I messed up the gauge and it's going to be ginormous. Note that I somehow managed a zig zag on the ribbing part at the waist. What a waste of materials. Lesson learned. When you make a mistake, rip it out instead of plowing through and ignoring it. And maybe for your first adult-sized sweater you should pick a pretty color instead of something gray. And also maybe you should follow those step by step instructions more closely. Anyway.

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I've found, too that if you are unhappy with something you should just take it out rather than forge ahead. I've made sweaters in the round like EZ's, but I always used a pattern. Let someone else do the math, I always say! ;) I'm sure you'll find, though, that you've learned so much from this that will make the next one easier. Knitting is definitely a process that always changes.

Selena
12-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Thanks Ingrid. I'm starting to think in metaphorical terms about these knit projects. It's really pretty funny.

rebecca
12-05-2005, 08:17 PM
That's why I want to get the Sweater Wizard software when I begin knitting sweaters alot, bc I like to change things too much & would much prefer the computer to make the changes for me :thumbsup:
I do so love that slate gray...delicious color ;) You will work something out with it ;)