PDA

View Full Version : FO Double hat

Ingrid
12-03-2005, 08:04 PM
I based this on Kelly's White Sox hat, with the change of ribbing. I have to thank Mary for her tips on the transition. My son shaves his head, so I wanted a nice warm hat to match the scarf I'm making. This should do it.

Andrea
12-03-2005, 08:55 PM
Cute Ingrid!! Is double knitting hard??

Ingrid
12-03-2005, 08:59 PM
This is as far from real double knitting as you can get. Real double knitting is when you knit both sides at once. For this, I just knit a hat using a provisional cast on. Then when that was done, I grabbed the stitches from the cast on and knit another hat in the other direction. They're basically conjoined hats. ;)

Andrea
12-03-2005, 09:00 PM
cheater ;)

Ingrid
12-03-2005, 09:09 PM
cheater ;)

:roflhard: Did I SAY it was double knitted? Hmmmm? Did I IMPLY that it was double knitted? What? Is that you saying, "Well, no, you didn't." ?

Darned right I didn't! :roflhard:

earthchick
12-03-2005, 09:11 PM
Very very cute! :thumbsup:

vcuchica931
12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
haha

very cute Ingrid!

Jan in CA
12-04-2005, 02:51 AM
Very clever! That is so neat! My husband keeps what is left of his hair very short and this would be a neat thing for him! I'll have to try this out!

Virtuella
12-04-2005, 07:46 AM
I love your doubleknitting Ingrid!

I am going to make this one:
http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=6024

It is so beautiful! One of my nordic knitting friends, Bettina, has made it, have a look in her blog! http://vrangen.blogdrive.com/archive/147.html
She writes in english too, scroll down the page.

kemp
12-04-2005, 10:29 AM
That is a great idea! I really like that it is reversible without the double knitting...I might need to try that.

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 11:19 AM

It is so beautiful! One of my nordic knitting friends, Bettina, has made it, have a look in her blog! http://vrangen.blogdrive.com/archive/147.html

She does beautiful work!! I'm very impressed. Do all Norwegians knit beautifully, or is it just you two? :D Maybe the long winter has something to do with it. :thinking:

Virtuella
12-04-2005, 11:26 AM

She does beautiful work!! I'm very impressed. Do all Norwegians knit beautifully, or is it just you two? :D Maybe the long winter has something to do with it. :thinking:

:lol: she is not Norwegian, she is from Denmark! :lol:

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 11:29 AM
:doh: The photos of her knitting had all my attention. Universal language, there, I guess. ;)

Virtuella
12-04-2005, 11:32 AM
:roflhard: but in this part of the world we do knit a lot in the winter, there is not much else to do. Long dark days without snow..
We also learn to knit at school, when we are about lets say 11 years old.. and most of our mothers and especially grandmothers knitted, because there was not much to buy.
My grandmother never bought clothes for my mother, all was homemade. And my mother did the same with me and my sister.
I knit things I like to knit, not because I have to...

humblestumble
12-04-2005, 11:58 AM
That's cool, Virtuella!

Neat idea, Ingrid, I've heard KellyK talk about doing this too...I like Double Knitting though :D

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 11:59 AM
That's cool, Virtuella!

Neat idea, Ingrid, I've heard KellyK talk about doing this too...I like Double Knitting though :D

I got the idea from Kelly. I don't think I've ever tried 'real' double knitting.

dustinac
12-04-2005, 12:24 PM
:happydance: Looks wonderful great job!!

KellyK
12-05-2005, 12:25 AM
What yarn didja use, Ingy? It really looks GREAT! Should I write up a pattern for a FDK (fake double-knit) hat? :roflhard:

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 12:27 AM
What yarn didja use, Ingy? It really looks GREAT! Should I write up a pattern for a FDK (fake double-knit) hat? :roflhard:

I used Plymouth Encore, same color as the scarf, different weight. I needed to use dk for the scarf so the design wouldn't be too wide, but did the hat in worsted.

You should write up the pattern--double knitting scares a lot of people away.

rebecca
12-05-2005, 02:01 AM
very cool 8-) hat...your son will love it...my nephew & son sometimes shave their heads & would love that and they are always wearing hats..nice job :thumbsup:

Jackie M.
12-05-2005, 09:03 PM
This is as far from real double knitting as you can get. Real double knitting is when you knit both sides at once. For this, I just knit a hat using a provisional cast on. Then when that was done, I grabbed the stitches from the cast on and knit another hat in the other direction. They're basically conjoined hats. ;)

How did you get them so even? Did you count every row? I'm afraid I would have one hat longer than the other and it would all buckle up.

Jackie M.
12-05-2005, 09:05 PM
OOPS...sorry about the pic. Annie was suppose to be my little picture.... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 09:25 PM
Annie's welcome any time! I knit the first hat to the size I wanted, and then counted how many rows that turned out to be and did the second one the same.

MaryS
12-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Ingrid,

That hat looks GREAT!

Glad you liked my tips. It really does help to use a smaller needle for the ribbing doesn't it? (I like yours better than mine) :rollseyes:

I made a pair of "Manly Mitts" from Knitty to go with the fake double knit hat. They'll be REALLY warm because the mittens are stranded all over, so double thick. How do you keep all your stranded knitting from tangling and twisting all over? I think I spent almost as much time untangling skeins as doing the actual knitting!

Now I'm checking to see if I have enough yarn left for a skinny, short scarf. (Pics after Christmas, I hope).

Happy Knitting :XX: :XX:

Mary

VictoiseC
12-06-2005, 03:37 PM
very nice hat Ingrid! :thumbsup: professional-looking.

I can't decide which way to do my first doubleknit hat. I think I want to try the real doubleknitting technique just for the fun of it. :thinking:

But I definitely want to do this version too. Your son will love it I think.

Ingrid
12-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Ingrid,

How do you keep all your stranded knitting from tangling and twisting all over? I think I spent almost as much time untangling skeins as doing the actual knitting!

Mary

Thank you for the compliments on the hat! I really like the way it came out and it should stay on him well, and be warm in his Massachusetts winter. You're tips about the transition made all the difference.

I generally don't have trouble with tangling in stranding because I make a point not to twist my yarns. If you consisitently keep one above and one below, they won't twist on you.

knitncook
12-06-2005, 07:04 PM
Cool hat, Ingrid. That would be fun to knit.

Virtuella, my parents visited a friend in Norway a few years ago and my mom, being a knitter, wanted to get some yarn and patterns to take back. She's done this in England, Spain, France, and Iceland. She found lots of little knitting shops but they wouldn't let her buy patterns because she didn't have the right paperwork saying she had been taught the proper way to do the patterns. Her friend was currently taking some classes so she could buy more patterns. I guess some patterns are sacred and have to made just so. I have sweaters that she bought in both Iceland and Norway and that is all I wear in the winter. No need for a big coat down here. Just throw a cold-hearty sheep on your back! :roflhard:

Jackie M.
12-07-2005, 05:25 PM
When you sewed them together, did you connect only at the top or did you make stitches all the way up the hat to make it firm? Am I making sense? :??

Ingrid
12-07-2005, 06:13 PM
I only put a couple of stitches at the top to hold the two together. It'll be stretched over his head, so I didn't see the need for more stitching. Plus I hate to sew, anyway. :rollseyes: My grandson just got a doubled fleece hat from Old Navy and that is only connected at the top, too, so I'm sure it's just fine.

KellyK
12-08-2005, 12:54 AM
I pull the ends through to the other side to weave them in....that seems to work pretty well.

Jan in CA
12-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I'm going to try making a hat for my husband like this. Did you use an extra yarn for the provisional cast on or a cable needle? I'm not sure I understand having to knit into the back of the stitch, but that is only when I start knitting the second hat right?

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 09:37 PM
I used the provisional cast on where I crochet a chain with waste yarn and then knit into the back of the crochet chain. There's a loop there that I put my needle in to pick up stitches. When it's time to attach the second hat, you take out the waste yarn and insert your needle into the live stitches.

You can do any provisional cast on, I just prefer this one.

Jan in CA
12-11-2005, 09:43 PM
Okay. I've never done one at all so I'll have to experiment. ;)

rebecca
12-11-2005, 10:00 PM
This (http://www.knittingatknoon.com/provisional.html) is the way I do provisional cast on :thumbsup:

KellyK
12-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Why do you have to knit into the back of sts? I didnt do that with any of mine.....did I miss something?

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 10:44 PM
You knit in the back of the crochet chain, not when you do it on the needle. I didn't know how to explain that well enough. Leave it to Rebecca to have a link. :thumbsup:

KellyK
12-11-2005, 10:55 PM
OH! You mean if you arent already crocheting directly onto the knitting needle?

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 10:57 PM
I didn't until you posted that way. I had always just crocheted a chain and picked up stitches on it. Your way makes more sense. I did it for the Karaoke scarf, but had trouble getting the stitches off. I'll have to check out the video.

Jan in CA
12-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Amy's video says something about knitting into the back of the stitches. :thinking:

I'll check out the link, thanks!

KellyK
12-25-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey, Ingy....what WERE the tips for the transition of that hat? I CO DH's new FDK hat last night....

Ingrid
12-25-2005, 01:18 PM
What worked was to purl a row in the same color of the first hat after I picked up the pco. Then I knit a row in that color, too, before starting the ribbing for the next hat. It makes a good place for the hat to fold over.

Jan in CA
12-25-2005, 01:52 PM
What worked was to purl a row in the same color of the first hat after I picked up the pco. Then I knit a row in that color, too, before starting the ribbing for the next hat. It makes a good place for the hat to fold over.

Thanks for that info. I'm going to be doing it after Christmas!

KellyK
12-25-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Ingy! Will do!