PDA

View Full Version : FO - Speedy Scrunchable Now with Hat

Ingrid
12-04-2005, 09:07 PM
I started this scrunchable scarf this afternoon at !2:30 EST, and finished it a few minutes ago. That time included several loads of laundry washed, dried, and put away, changing of sheets, meals, computer time, etc.

I used two strands of worsted weight on size 15 needles. I think I'll whip off a hat to match.

I used Adriafil Twin trends yarn, which has a subtle self stripe in it. I got it by mistake from Herrschner's a while ago (I thought it was something else.) I'm glad I could make good use of it. The scarf took four skeins total.

Thank you Kelly for bringing this scarf to our attention once or twice. . . :D

rebecca
12-04-2005, 09:09 PM
WTG, Speedy!! You MUST knit a hat to match, of course ;) !! I love it :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
12-05-2005, 12:27 AM
Looks GREAT Ingy! I just cant stop talking about something if I LOVE it!

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 12:31 AM
I do, now, too. I'm making one for "other grandma" for her b'day next weekend with two strands of alpaca on smaller needles.

Jan in CA
12-05-2005, 02:34 AM
Looks nice and warm! Pretty yarn, too!

kemp
12-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Don't you :heart: :heart: :heart: quick knits??? Need some instant gratification sometimes :)

Looks great!

Rennagayle
12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
That is so pretty. I love the look of that yarn, in that scarf. :heart:

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks! It was wonderful to see how long it got so quickly. I'd better ease back into FairIsles--I can't imagine going back to fingering on size 2's just yet. :rollseyes:

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 11:14 PM
I whipped up this baby this afternoon. Quicky, quicky!

rebecca
12-05-2005, 11:15 PM
YIPPEEE I'm so glad u did the hat to match... :heart: it, of course ;)

KellyK
12-05-2005, 11:18 PM
AWESOME! :cheering:

Ingrid
12-05-2005, 11:24 PM
YIPPEEE I'm so glad u did the hat to match... :heart: it, of course ;)

I think I'll pass on the fingerless gloves, though. ;)

dustinac
12-06-2005, 10:33 AM
:happydance: Great job!!! I love them both :cheering:

rebecca
12-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Now...Ingrid, how about some mittens ;) ?!

Ingrid
12-06-2005, 07:00 PM
I was contemplating mittens, but I need to finish a scrunchable in alpaca by Friday and I still need to finish my son's scarf. My daughter tells me that my niece doesn't like anything on her hands--she has developmental delays and is MR--so I don't want to upset her by sending her mittens. I'll check with my sister, first.

I am a bit spoiled by the speed of these, though. The other is going fast, but gee whiz!

itscryttle
12-06-2005, 10:16 PM
That is SO prettY!! I agree... a matching hat is a MUST!

rebecca
12-06-2005, 10:38 PM
I was contemplating mittens, but I need to finish a scrunchable in alpaca by Friday and I still need to finish my son's scarf. My daughter tells me that my niece doesn't like anything on her hands--she has developmental delays and is MR--so I don't want to upset her by sending her mittens. I'll check with my sister, first.

I am a bit spoiled by the speed of these, though. The other is going fast, but gee whiz!

Chunky yarn and neeldes...OH YEAH!! That's why I was so excited about Lonnie's Tychus, it only took a few short hours :thumbsup:

Ingrid
12-06-2005, 10:54 PM

Chunky yarn and neeldes...OH YEAH!! That's why I was so excited about Lonnie's Tychus, it only took a few short hours :thumbsup:

Honey--everything seems to take you a few short hours!! :rofling:

Racerkatie
12-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Those are nice!!!!

Ingrid
12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Thanks!

knitncook
12-08-2005, 10:39 AM
I love whipping up a quick item on big needles. It can be very gratifying when you are working on larger projects or making something that requires a lot of time and effort.

Freyja
12-08-2005, 12:43 PM
If you go for the mittens, a design in the palm, might get her to wear them. The "where is it? There it is." supprise might get her liking them on her hands.

Ingrid
12-08-2005, 04:50 PM
If you go for the mittens, a design in the palm, might get her to wear them. The "where is it? There it is." supprise might get her liking them on her hands.

That's a good idea, but I should have pointed out that she just turned 24 and is quite set in her ways. ;)

HamaLee
12-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Bumping this to ask Ingrid, do you have a pattern for that lovely scrunchable hat?

Ingrid
12-30-2005, 10:19 PM
I couldn't remember, because I kind of just did it. It was on straights because I didn't have large enough circs. Then I remembered that I said something about it on my blog:

The hat is not technically on line. I just used general hat guidelines based on the scarf I did. I don't have size 15 circs, so I used straights, cast on 54 stitches and worked k2, p1 ribbing across both sides, same as the scrunchable scarf. I used doubled worsted weight, too. When I got to the decreases on top, I tried to get the stitch pattern to sort of match, but the pattern is so big and varigated anyway, it looks ok. I used a crochet hook to pull the yarn through the top stitches, and since it was there, I crocheted the seam too. Can barely tell it's there because of the bulkiness of the hat itself.

I think when I decreased, I started with k7, k2tog, all the way around, then went to k6, k2tog, etc. Except I didn't knit every st. I tried to get the dec to blend it, by doing whatever looked best--you couldn't tel,l anyway.

HamaLee
12-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Wow Ings, you're so fast! Thanks so much, I'm gonna give it a go. What's a good-ish length to start decreasing for the top? I'm using a super chunky yarn but, say..oh...5 inches or so?

Ingrid
12-30-2005, 11:00 PM
I stuck it on my head and took it from there. This is what the basic hat formula says: 5 1/2" for child's size, 6" for teen's, 6 1/2" for women's, 7" for men's

HamaLee
12-31-2005, 01:37 AM
Thanks Ingrid! I just finished the hat to match the scarf I had made. All I've got to do is sew it together. I've never crocheted a seam before, so maybe I'll give that a try.

You're right, it was pretty easy to tell where I should sort of be in the pattern as I decreased. And times I was off, well....ya can't really tell! Thanks again.

Jenelle
12-31-2005, 03:46 PM
I have a question for you Ingrid..

I've seen how to make the scarf, and was wondering why you have to cast on two extra stitches. And what you are supposed to do with those stitches(as in knit them or purl them).

Ingrid
12-31-2005, 04:02 PM
The extra two stitches allow you to have a nice edge. You slip the first one as if to purl and you knit the last one on every row.

Jenelle
12-31-2005, 05:09 PM
Thank you!!

Now I understand why it looked funny when I tried it.

Friskums
03-14-2006, 12:33 AM
I haven't made a hat yet, but was thinking of making this one for my step-mom. Only thing is that she likes a fold up brim part.

My question is how much would the pattern change to add on the length to make it longer?

Ingrid
03-14-2006, 12:35 AM
I think I would just make it longer. It's stretchy enough that you wouldn't have to add any stitches and the inside looks just like the outside, so it seems like an easy fix.

Friskums
03-14-2006, 12:38 AM
So, since it's worked on straights, I just cast on more stitches? Or work it more before starting decreases?

Ingrid
03-14-2006, 12:39 AM
Just work it more rows until you begin the decreases.

Friskums
03-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok. Thanks. ^_^

I'll get the hang of this knitting thing yet. ;)

Ronda
03-14-2006, 07:48 AM
I love them both. You are incredibly fast!