PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Mistake in pattern

Jaxhil
12-06-2005, 11:40 AM
I am making a scarf from the winter'03/'04 Vogue Knitting International. It's a very simple ( I thought) pattern for a chunky leaf scarf, but there's something wrong. I have too many stitches at the end, where each right side row says "p2"; only thing is I always have more stitches-anywhere from 2 extra on row 2 for instance, to 4 extra for row 12 :crying: I have *no* idea how to deal with this. I'm a fairly new knitter, so I have a feeling something's wrong with the pattern but I don't have a clue how to fix it. I know I cast on the correct # of stitches initially, and was careful to double check each row, since I kept having the extra stitches. Any way heres the pattern ( i hope i'm not breaking a law by posting the whole pattern-its very short!)

(Pattern 32: Leaf Scarf)

Cast on 20 stitches. Work in leaf stitch pattern til scarf measures 78". Bind off.

LEAF STITCH PATTERN

Row 1 and all WS rows: Purl.

Row 2P2, k9, yo, k1, yo, k3, SKP, p2.

Row 4 P2, k10, yo, k1, yo, k2, SKP, p2.

Row 6 P2, k3tog, k4, yo, k1, yo, k3 [yo, k1] twice, SKP, p2.

Row 8P2, k3tog, k3, yo, k1, yo, k9, p2.

Row 10P2, k3tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k10, p2.

Row 12 P2, k3tog, [k1, yo] twice, k3, yo, k1, yo, k4, SKP, p2.

Repeat these 12 rows for leaf st pat.

I hope someone can help. I think it's something easy, like they said to cast on too many stitches but don't know how to figure it out. :??

Thanks a mill for any help!!

Yvonne
12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
I added up the stitches in each row, and every time it adds up to 20 and doesn't change.
Only thing I can think of is maybe you're not doing the SKP?
Otherwise, if you're a new knitter as you said, make sure when you start each row that the working yarn is dangling down from the needle and you aren't making that common error of turning the first stitch into two stitches due to the position of the working yarn.
Good luck!

Jaxhil
12-06-2005, 03:14 PM
I think I'm doing it right :thinking: Is SKP slip one knit wise, knit next stitch, then pass slipped stich over the tip of the last stitch knit (off the right hand needle)?

Maybe I *did* miscount....it was late (I was so tired) and I counted 3x how many I cast on....I will rip it out and try again..I will be *so* embarrassed if I didn't cast on correctly :oops:

I pretty sure I wasn't knitting that first stitch in correctly-but again, it was late, and boy, that *would* explain a lot!! :lol:

Thanks so much for responding!

Yvonne
12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Yes, Hilary, you have the SKP right from your description.

Moral of the story: Don't try a lace pattern when you are:
a) Tired
b) Tipsy
c) Stressed
d) Having PMS
e) Sick

However, you might come up with something funky and memorable!

One other thing is that once you do a whole repeat and know it's right, insert a lifeline right there so if you do end up having to rip again, it won't be the whole thing.

Jaxhil
12-06-2005, 05:30 PM
:rofling: OMGOSH I think I was *every* one of those!! Oh, except the tipsy part, ;)

Thanks again! I haven't had a chance to redo it yet, I sure hope it works this time!

Jaxhil
12-06-2005, 06:44 PM
BINGO!!

Ok, after trying yet again (at least 3-4 times today) to make the above pattern work, I finally got the brilliant (albeit late) idea to check the Vogue Knitting website for corrections-and alas, there it was!! Pattern #32, should read:

rows 2, 4, and 12 SKP should read SK2P.

hooray!!
Thanks again! :cheering: