PDA

View Full Version : Need a Crocheted Edging for Shawl

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 03:51 PM
I am trying NOT to rip my hair out right now. I need to find a "lace" edging to put on the Pie Are Square Shawl I made for my Mom. I've been working on a knitted edging from one of Nicky Epstein's books, but I'm not happy with it. It looks ok, but it's going to take forever to knit the 35,000 feet that I need.

So, I think I would like to try a simple crochet edging, perhaps something scalloped??? I'm open to suggestions. It just needs to be quick and easy.

Any ideas???? Please???!!! :pray:

KellyK
12-06-2005, 04:08 PM
Let's see a pic of the shawl, Jul....

Yvonne
12-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Here's a pretty easy but pretty scallop edging (I think I remember what the pi shawl looks like--it's the round one, right?).
Anyway:

In some stitch on the edge which will be the beginning of the round, Attach yarn with sl st. Chain 5 (counts as first treble and ch-1). In same stitch, (Treble, ch1) four more times, then end with treble in the same stitch (6 trebles and 5 ch-1 spaces).

Skip about an inch on the edge (whatever interval makes the edging not curly and too full) and (Treble, ch 1) 5 times in that stitch, then treble once (6 trebles, 5 ch-1 spaces).

Repeat this all the way around. When you get back around to the first scallop, sl st in 4th chain of the original chain-5 and you're done. Cut it and weave it in.

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 05:20 PM
Let's see a pic of the shawl, Jul....

OK, Kelly, you asked for it. I would just like to say ahead of time, that I am *not* happy with how this turned out. It has been a torturous project, and I don't expect I'll take on anything like this again for a very long time. I can't believe that KnitPicks recommendeda lace-weight yarn for something like this.

I bound off too tightly to begin with, and in trying to correct that, I ended up binding off too loosely, as you can see on the left side of the photo. For reference, this is shown blocking on my DD's kid-sized sleeping bag.
And now that I'm done whining about this. Here is the picture:

http://static.flickr.com/35/70957986_a68a22fcdb.jpg

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
Here's a pretty easy but pretty scallop edging (I think I remember what the pi shawl looks like--it's the round one, right?).
Anyway:

In some stitch on the edge which will be the beginning of the round, Attach yarn with sl st. Chain 5 (counts as first treble and ch-1). In same stitch, (Treble, ch1) four more times, then end with treble in the same stitch (6 trebles and 5 ch-1 spaces).

Skip about an inch on the edge (whatever interval makes the edging not curly and too full) and (Treble, ch 1) 5 times in that stitch, then treble once (6 trebles, 5 ch-1 spaces).

Repeat this all the way around. When you get back around to the first scallop, sl st in 4th chain of the original chain-5 and you're done. Cut it and weave it in.

Yvonne --

Thank you! I am not a crocheter, so I have a few questions for you. First of all, what size crochet hook would be appropriate for lace-weight yarn. Secondly, I'm assuming that by "treble" you mean "trip crochet?" I have a "Learn to Crochet" book here. So, I think I can figure this out. It's been a long time since I've tried to crochet -- way back when Grandma taught me.

Yvonne
12-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Regarding what size crochet hook, make it comparable to what size knitting needle you used. For instance, if you used a size 5 knitting needle, then use an E crochet hook. If size 6 needle, then F crochet hook. If size 7, a G hook, or fir a size 8 needle, then an H crochet hook. If smaller than a size 5 knitting needle was used, I would say a D crochet hook.

A treble is the one in your book where you yarn over the hook twice before pulling any stitches through. Yes, they might call it a triple, which is another name for it.
Holler if you need more help.
By the way, now that i saw the picture, space your scallops such that you have a scallop on the edge wherever the shawl has a "corner." Just eyeball it as you get near a corner and adjust your spacing accordingly.

DotMom61
12-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks again, Yvonne! I've also found a border that looks a little like the sawtooth border that E. Zimmerman has on her original one. I'll try out that and this one and see which one seems to go easier. Unfortunately, that will have to be later, 'cause we have a Christmas party to get to.

"It's alvays somet'ing." (As my dear old Swedish grandma used to say!)

KellyK
12-06-2005, 06:50 PM
What about this:
http://tiajudy.com/scallopedge.htm

Or just the bottom part of this:
http://www.scknitting.com/winter2005/leafberry-lace.html

Or, OOH! Look at all these:
http://www.knitting-and.com/photos/gallery/lacepatterns

Ingrid
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
I know a nifty little saw tooth edge. ;)

KellyK
12-06-2005, 07:16 PM
That's what Im thinking it needs too, Ingy.....something pointy.

Ingrid
12-06-2005, 07:24 PM
That's what Im thinking it needs too, Ingy.....something pointy.

It's SUPPOSED to have a pointy edge, at least EZ thought so, and after a great deal of discussion and practice, the edge was perfected for a teddy bear back in July. Here's (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2397&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=pie+square+shawl) that whole discussion. ;)

Just joshin with you, ya know, Julie. ;)

DotMom61
12-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Ingrid --

The problem with that edge is the YARN. It's too thin, soft and squishy. It doesn't hold the shape. I started the crochet version of this last night out of desperation. I don't think it's going to work, either. I may just buckle and give EZ's a try again. http://static.flickr.com/31/55686073_2f295559cd_o.gif

I know you all must think I'm insane. Actually, I don't think I'm far off. I can't tell you how happy I will be to get this yarn out of my sight!!! It's TOO THIN! Never, never, never again ... {stomps off muttering}

Jenelle
12-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I know you all must think I'm insane. Actually, I don't think I'm far off. I can't tell you how happy I will be to get this yarn out of my sight!!! It's TOO THIN! Never, never, never again ... {stomps off muttering}

Crocheting with thin yarn can be fun sometimes. It depends on it though, is your yarn like working with sewing thread? or a tad bigger?

DotMom61
12-07-2005, 04:14 PM
It's a lace-weight yarn, and it's very soft -- alpaca & silk. So, it knits up kind of "mushy" when you're trying to do something that is supposed to be shaped. The shawl itself is fine because it's just garter stitch with a few yarnovers thrown in, but when you try to do anything more complicated with this yarn, it just doesn't hold its shape. Couple that with someone who hasn't knit lace before, and well, you can imagine how frustrasting it is. Ugh.

I've actually started taking my bind-off out of the shawl so I can start trying out EZ's sawtooth border. :rollseyes: I am insane!

DotMom61
12-07-2005, 04:29 PM
As I look at some of the other patterns that KnitPicks suggests for Shimmer, I'm wondering if I should've held 2 strands of this yarn together. Hmmm ... :thinking: I wonder if that could be my solution for the border ... I have an entire hank left.

Ingrid
12-07-2005, 05:03 PM
That might work to give more body. I can't believe you're taking out the bind-off, though. That's dedication!

DotMom61
12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
I swear I just posted a reply to this. :??

Basically, what I said was, that no, it's not dedication, it's insanity with a bit of bull-headedness thrown in. ;-)

Plus, I wasn't crazy about the bind-off, anyway.