PDA

View Full Version : What kind of stitch is that??

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 03:33 PM
Howdy all...a quick question.

My mom came down for Thanksgiving and she had one of those stratchy tube scarfs that you can do lots with like put over your head around your neck and pull it up like a hood. Looks like it was made with some sort of lash or butterfly kisses yarn. :thinking:

Any one know what kind of stitch to use if one were to make one? :?? Mom got her's at a drugstore for around $20, but I thought that I'd make some for some office-mates how haven't seen these things.

Any suggestions welcome :thumbsup:

-Wes

Jenelle
12-07-2005, 03:38 PM
Hm. Could you show us a picture?

mintdee
12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
This is going to drive my nutzo because I just recently saw a pattern for a scarf that would do that. I believe that they did it with drop stitches so it would not be exactly the same but.... Let me poke around and see if I can find the one that I am thinking of... :thinking:

tigger0229
12-07-2005, 03:48 PM
:cheering: I got it, it's the invisible stitch!
:XX:

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Sorry Jenelle, I didn't get a pic of it before she left and I haven't seen any here in San Francisco.

Hey, Tigger! Great I'll try it out! Thanks a bunch!!

-Wes

tigger0229
12-07-2005, 04:23 PM
wes, sweetie, I was just joking. hehehe. not sure what kind of stitch it could be.
maybe when she gets home she can send you a shot of it and it will help identify.

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 04:42 PM
LOL :rofling: :rofling:

Looking every where for that stitch :roflhard: :roflhard:

Seriously though, it has to be some really strechy stitch, but everything I try only stretches in one direction.....not both.

-Wes

tigger0229
12-07-2005, 04:46 PM
whew, I thought I'd made you mad!!
well see, the invisible stitch is used on invisible garmets and such. So you really can't exam them well. also this is the stitch that was used for the Emperor's new clothes :roflhard:

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 05:04 PM
Well that explains how those tailors where able to knitt such fine stitches out of gold threads!! :rofling:

Ok, so I made a little stroll through the office building (yes I work in a huge building downtown San Francisco) and finaly found one of these scarves. It just looks like stockinette in the round. Geuss that would work??

I'll try to get a pic soon and see what y'all think.

-Wes

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Well that explains how those tailors where able to knitt such fine stitches out of gold threads!! :lol:

Ok, so I made a little stroll through the office building (yes I work in a huge building downtown San Francisco) and finaly found one of these scarves. It just looks like stockinette in the round. Geuss that would work??

I'll try to get a pic soon and see what y'all think.

-Wes

kemp
12-07-2005, 05:23 PM
Is it like this? If so, it's just a tube knitted in st st.

tigger0229
12-07-2005, 05:28 PM
wow, that's a nice scarf kemp. i haven't seen a scarf used in so many ways!
wes, did you buy a kit?

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 05:29 PM
That's the one!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Thanks, Kemp!! :thumbsup:

VickiIL
12-07-2005, 05:34 PM
Is it like this? If so, it's just a tube knitted in st st.

What size needles are used?

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 05:36 PM
Tigger, no. Just thought I'd buy some Butterfly Kisses from knitt picks and throw it on some large-ish circs (when they arrive in the mail) and make um about 4-5 ft. long.

kemp
12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
I don't know...I actually bought this scarf a long time ago before I knew how to knit. If I had to guess compared to other scarves I've made with the fun fur stuff, I'd use size 13 16-24" circs.

rebecca
12-07-2005, 05:37 PM
It's a called a cowl ;) I made a couple for Christmas last year, but I just used a chunky yarn, not a furry one like Kemp's :D
EDIT I just found this (http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/kjif-hood.html) generic pattern :thumbsup:

ebrperk
12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
I am just curious Kemp what happened to your face? You are so pretty no need to black it out.

Robin

tigger0229
12-07-2005, 05:38 PM
oh oh, be sure to post how you like the butterfly kisses!!

kemp
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: I've been sick and wasn't feeling too attractive today

geminiwb
12-07-2005, 05:55 PM
:lol: :lol:

You all are the best! Thank you all for the help :) and a good laugh in the middle of the day. I need all of that I can get while sitting in the middle of a cubical farm.

-Wes

wildforyarn
12-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Kemp, I was going to ask if anyone was disturbed by the faceless picture! :roflhard: I think seeing you not feeling well would have been better than the faceless wonder! :rofling:

CarmenIbanez
12-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Just so you know, a stockinette stitch cowl doesn't come out to be stretchy in all directions. In order for it to stretch width and length, you have to use a drop stitch. I made one for my son using this (http://www.spellingtuesday.com/magicscarf.html) pattern. I experimented quite a bit because my son really like that the furry magic scarf I had could go over my head or around my neck or whatever. Of course I couldn't send my 13 year old boy to school in my pink furry scarf, so I made him one in wool in his school colors.

I didn't actually drop every other stitch, I dropped every fourth stitch. But anyway. Just a thought.

silveridger
12-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Heh, that second picture was downright scary! As for the scarf, it's also known as the "Magic Scarf," you can read about it and watch the demo here:

http://www.magicscarf.com/stores/magicscarf/

I got one at Wal-mart, also before I learned to knit. They sell them on the site above for $8.95

gimmesanity
12-07-2005, 08:13 PM
ACK!!! Kemp, that last pic is pretty creepy. You're gaw-geous, dahling. That last pic doesn't do anything for you at all....

humblestumble
12-07-2005, 08:28 PM
http://www.knittingfairy.com/freeMoebiusScarf.htm

http://www.knitlist.com/01gift/tube-scarf-2.htm

im going bonkers finding this one pattern i lost on my boyfriends harddrive, it was a pdf file and it was a pattern for one of these things but it was so long you could make it into a dress, and it wasn't holey either...EDIT: I found it, it's a pattern at magknits, but it's not really a scarf at all, but I guess you could use it as such if you really wanted http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/sheer.pdf

CarmenIbanez
12-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I posted some pics of my son's magic scarf in the Watcha' Knittin' list.

Ingrid
12-07-2005, 10:06 PM
"Death" has given up his black cloak and sickle and now comes fashionably attired in fun fur!

Jan in CA
12-07-2005, 10:14 PM
Kemp... that second photo is freaky!!! :shock:

KellyK
12-08-2005, 01:14 AM
:shock: GAH!! SCARY KEMPY PICTURE!!!! :oo:

I made a cowl for my mom....from Knitty.com called Aibhlinn. Its a K3P3 pattern that gets offset every other row or so making a nice spiraly pattern...she LOVES it!

sogrammatical
12-08-2005, 01:16 AM
They sell them all around town here. I call them "thneeds" because you can use them so many different ways.

I don't know that I'd pay $20 for it though.

Ingrid
12-08-2005, 08:55 AM
They sell them all around town here. I call them "thneeds" because you can use them so many different ways.

I don't know that I'd pay $20 for it though.

"Which nobody wants because nobody needs."

kemp
12-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Better???? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

countingsheep
12-08-2005, 12:30 PM
:shock: I don't like that much better. You kinda look like this furry, Dr. Seuss thing. :shock:

Can't you just leave your pretty face alone? Sick or not, this is not a nice photo! Don't do this to yourself!

Angela

MaryS
12-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Kempy,

That first pic with no face reminded me of the Ghost of Christmas Future in A Christmas Carol. Not the friendliest of the ghosts by any means. Of course, fun fur might have brightened up his disposition a lot. Who can be stern and forbidding while wearing pink/red fun fur?? :rofling: :rofling:

Hope you're feeling better now.

Mary

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2005, 02:55 PM
hahaha! I found this GREAT one of Kemp! (before i read her above post, naturally)

kemp
12-08-2005, 03:01 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: NOW that is a classic Cheryl pic. Are you off school today hilde?

kemp
12-08-2005, 03:13 PM
Here I am back to my normal Heather Locklearishly beautiful self.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Are you off school today hilde?
Yes, this is what we call a "mental health day" :shifty:

I went to a concert last night and got in late... and decided that instead of going right home and sleeping for 2 more hours, I should stay out and do sub plans for 2 hours :rollseyes: So had I come home I wouldn't have been too tired to go in, but since I thought I was too tired I stayed out to do plans and now I'm too tired (insert non-existing emoticon of me shaking my head back and forth with my tongue out like I'm confused)

Uhm, and what the hell is up with your GIGANTIC FACE????????? :roflhard: It looks like it *almost* fits right in!!!! :roflhard:

Gee, another hijacked thread. C'est La vie around here!