PDA

View Full Version : Panic Knitting!

ella
12-10-2005, 01:09 PM
Is anyone else panicking because Christmas is almost here and there are presents to finish knitting? I keep having nightmares about my dad opening his present (a cardigan) and there's nothing inside but a sleeve and some buttons! My DH swears he's going to wake up and find me knitting frantically in my sleep :rollseyes:

tab
12-10-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm currently panicking about exams, but once that's over I'll have a chance to get started on panic knitting. I'm just glad that most of the things I'm working on are simple patterns (HP scarves, for instance) so I can work on them while watching a movie or something.

KellyK
12-10-2005, 01:33 PM
Why....is Christmas coming soon or somthing?? :??

:roflhard:

schrodinger
12-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I totally with you ella. Esp. since we have just been invited to a one-year-old's birthday celebration TOMORROW. And I don't know what to make for him :?? Then there's all those unfinished Christmas gifts. ARRGGHHHH!!! :doh:

Vendie
12-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Ugh, don't remind me, I still have 3 pairs of clogs, 1 scarf, and 2 hats to finish...one of those pairs of clogs and on one of the hats HAS to be done this week so I can ship them to Canada! What am I doing here? I need to be knitting!

sogrammatical
12-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Hah! I wish I could be panicking about my knitting! At this point in the semester, I've got to break down my panics into manageable chunks. Right now, I'm panicking about the take home quiz I haven't even looked at yet. Then on to the math paper, then finals. Knitting panicking won't start for another two weeks.

Jenelle
12-10-2005, 02:38 PM
Yes... I have been panicing. :shock: I have:

2 scarves
5 pairs of baby booties
1 pair of slippers
4 hats
1 pair of arm warmers
1 pair of leg warmers

:shock:

javede
12-10-2005, 02:56 PM
Not anymore, cause I found a solution!
Dad will get a country music cd instead of knitted socks, brother will get a book instead of a starwars scarf(he doesn't wear scarves anyway) and if I don't manage to finish the samus for my mum(have to redo the sleeves), she will get a mini version of it and a card.
I already finished gifts for aunt, her husband and two cousins.

That leaves one hat to knit(3/4 done) and one bag to sew. I don't have any tests or finals(oral examination are somewhen in february), but enough homework to keep me busy(plus I started learning for said examinations[is that even the right word? You never know when you use one of those online dictionaries :lol: ]).

NesanelRose
12-10-2005, 03:06 PM
VERY MUCH PANICKING!

7 scarves to knit and finish still
2 hats
1 shawl
1 pair of fingerless mittens to finish

And I think I'm going to make those alien rice buddies on Knitty.com for my niece and nephew as well.

I'm very much panicking...

rebecca
12-10-2005, 03:47 PM
No panic, no way, not me :D I did no Christmas knitting last year. Of course, since last Christmas was my 1st Christmas as a knitter..everyone got knitted gifts...this year, I decided to happily knit for me & my :inlove: sweetie :inlove: I may knit for Christmas next year...but will start very, very early :thumbsup:

dustinac
12-10-2005, 05:50 PM
I have two scarves left was suppose to have everything done by the 1rst but I got sidetracked.. now its this Wed. all Christmas gifts will be done...

or so I tell myself :rollseyes:

HeatherFeather
12-10-2005, 06:45 PM
KellyK...pffttt...lol...

I WAS going to knit my gf an afghan...BUT I got too many contract stuff going...soooo....she'll get the unfinished afghan in a box...and that'll be what I work on in earnest...so she might get it by Easter!!! lol...every thing else is DONE

CarmenIbanez
12-10-2005, 07:25 PM
Panic about Christmas? Nah! I'm too busy panicking about the project I have to finish for my friend for her birthday on Monday. THEN I can start panicking about Christmas!

Mer
12-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Heh--I decided to pare down the list a bit and buy presents for some folks, but I'm still worried! I hope I don't have to resort to knitting frantically on the plane ride up to see the in-laws!

feministmama
12-11-2005, 01:31 AM
Christmas.....pffttt

brendajos
12-11-2005, 01:38 AM
lol well there is a lovely sentiment.

no i am not doing any holiday knitting. i am officially done shopping for christmas though, unless i get something little for an office friend of mine. i have come to the conclusion that as long as i put deadlines on myself i will kick back at it to avoid doing it, and christmas is a huge one. besides, with the way i like to buy yarn, i would end up spending more on yarn for knitted gifts than i would just going out and buying stuff.

Jeremy
12-11-2005, 04:33 AM
Nope, not panicing about Christmas, I'm Jewish :D And Chanukah has eight nights :D However, one of the knitters that I know presents the intended recipient with a swatch of the wool he will use and a note saying "You will be receiving a sweater,( hat, whatever) made from this wool. Then he has a chance to make the stuff and whatever he knits will fit better because the recipient can try it on as its being knit.

KellyK
12-11-2005, 05:20 AM
OMG, Jeremy! Does that means there are people for whom you have to knit EIGHT PRESENTS?!?!?! :shock:
*KK drops dead from the very THOUGHT*

Jeremy
12-11-2005, 09:07 PM
:roflhard: I know its hard to believe but there is not a line outside my door for my knitting. Trust me, my kids would much prefer the Best Buy Gift certificates I got them. I am knitting a pair of slipper socks for my daughter in law though.

KellyK
12-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Jeremy...I dont think Ive ever heard you mention DW or kids or DIL! You need to start a thread in the blog forum, friend! :thumbsup:

Jeremy
12-11-2005, 10:28 PM
I'll at least have to post a picture one of these days. My dog Grace has made an appearence though. ;)

kitkat
12-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Semi panicking:

Here is my progress:

1. 3 scarves more than half through (step mom, SIL, and work friend) these will be easy to finish
2/ 4 scarves not even started (2 more friends, hairdresser and son's GF) - if I don't get to these, not a biggy
3. booga bag done and ready to felt
4. 2 fingerless mitts for nieces - yarn acquired and ready to rock - am going to go super simple on these.
5. 1 scarf for DS, who last night decided he wanted a scarf. I gave him a thick and quick failed experimental scarf (it was great garter knitting, not great color changes, and too skinny) to tide him over until I find the right maroon to match his letter jacket. He will most likely get a ball of yarn in his stocking. And one for other DS, who says that scarves are for sissies.....but I know he will be grumpy if he doesn't get one!

misstialouise
12-11-2005, 11:47 PM
I have two eye pillows & two face washers to finish..

As well as baking three hampers full of cookies...

<sigh>

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 11:53 PM

<sigh>

At least you can knit while the cookies bake, right?

misstialouise
12-11-2005, 11:58 PM

<sigh>

At least you can knit while the cookies bake, right?

Umm... no, coz I also have some moulded chocolates to make :D

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 12:07 AM
Better get crackin' there then!! :rofling:

KellyK
12-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Im really not doin' badly....I have 3 1/2 pairs of clogs and a pair of mittens left. :thumbsup:

kitkat
12-12-2005, 08:09 AM
If I only didn't have to work the next two weeks, I would be fine!

I haven't done much shopping either, unfortunately boys activities have been taking precedence the last few weekends..... :rollseyes:

susies1955
12-12-2005, 08:24 AM
Being new I just wanted to get the sweater done by NEXT Christmas and I have it done and ready to wrap. Not going to shoot for any other knitting for Christmas.
Everything is bought but I need to wrap it all. I've been having serious back issues and just quit my ten year cleaning job so that will help. It was only twice a month doing a beauty shop that is a trailer from top to bottom but it really messed me up for the whole two weeks and then had to do it again.
I'm hopefully going to get back to normal in the months to come by following the chiropractors suggestions.
Thinking about next years projects though,
Susie

lisak
12-12-2005, 11:02 AM
I am definitely sweating! I still have one pair of clogs to finish (mid-way through), two bags, and a shawl that's barely been started. Ack! I am supposed to be mailing the clogs on Wednesday too! I think those might have to wait! I have finished two pair of clogs (one still needs to be felted though), three hats and three scarves. Oh, and I am supposed to make DH a hat! If only work didn't get in the way!

tigger0229
12-12-2005, 11:43 AM
ella, at the rate I'm going, my knitting will be for everyone NEXT CHristmas!!! :roflhard:

ella
12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Hey, great idea Tigger0229, rather than late for '05, we're all really ready for '06! Shoot, I'd have been done in September except I knit half of something, decide I hate it and visit the shrine of the frog :frog:

RachelJean
12-12-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm trying not to panic...I still have 1 hat and 3 headbands to knit, but I already bought some chocolate as backup. If I finish my knitting, I get to eat the chocolate myself ... :lol:

kitkat
12-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Revised my goals: (WARNING: GEEK LIST FOLLOWS)

1. SIL scarf - done
2. MIL scarf 3/4 done (will finish tonight, elongated stitch easy)
3. Acct. frend scarf - homespun - 3/4 done - will knit until the yarn is used up - am doing garter stitch on 13's, so its going pretty quickly. I just get ADD and get bored with it.
4. DS scarf -acquired the woolease thick n quick - am going to do in scrunchable scarf
5. DS #2 - same yarn as above, the 2 hour hat from craftster
Two nieces - using that super thick yarn from handpainted yarn, the 2 hour hat - two of them :happydance:

Ones that can be worked on after the day, but before New years:
1. Haircutter friend scarf -eyelashy thing big needles easy easy....
2. DS's girlfriend scarf to go with booga bag - I was originally going to use Malabringo, (and save that lusciousness for me) but truthfully she would prefer some acrylic fluffy thing - I picked up some yarn yesterday, total cost 4.97 and am going to do on 17's
3. 2 Girlfriend scarves - we will see how these go. I have several pretty things I can work with.

Even the DS #1 and #2 projects can be half done.

I have a swim meet on Saturday that runs from 7:15 AM to 9 PM. I am hoping to get tons done that day.

I am SUCH an accountant!

nicolethegeek
12-13-2005, 10:24 AM
In a previous thread I had mentioned about what my knitting list looked like, and I recall Ingrid making a comment that she didn't know Christmas came to Canada in August {or something similarily hilarious}. I am still knitting away furiously when my hands {and arm} allow. :crying: The stress of work {my job is great, my manager SUCKS}, and all the knitting and crocheting I've been doing are really taking their toll. Last year I wasn't able to make even one gift. My knitting skills weren't beyond the point of knitting anything other than Boa scarves and dishcloths for my kids' hope chests. My hands gave out on me sometime in October, so even the top that I was working on in Grace to wear for DHs Xmas party was unfinished {dang! that's ANOTHER UFO for my NYR :shock: }. I didn't pick up a needle or hook until late January or early Febuary.
In any case, I want to finish the LB Boucle/Fun Fur scarves for the girls, and I want to surprise DH with a pair of socks. Anything else that actually gets finished before Xmas Eve will be gravy. My older girls are relatively young, but as long as they can wear their new winter sets the first day back to school, along with cool new socks, I'm sure they'll be happy. Especially if Mom sucks up with a lot of craft projects while they are home! ;)

chloe2804
12-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I can SO relate. I never was a strong knitter (a few things as a child, a sweater and a vest in the early 80's and I knit 1 way too big sock last year. GAUGE IS SO VERY IMPORTANT!!!)

So on Sept 13 I had to have a colon resection (no chemo or radiation, thank the lord). My home health nurse started telling me about the first pair of soxes she was knitting. She brought in the yarn and the finished soxes and I had an absolute NEED to knit. As soon as I could drive again I bought sox yarn but but stopped when I decided to knit all my Christmas presents this year. This was just before Thanksgiving.

Although I am knitting small simple things I still have panic about not getting finished. But I really wanted to knit thses presents because I realize the only way to be a good knitter is to knit often and as well as I can. I have restarted both scarves about a jillion times and have frogged everything at least once, except the Fuzzy Dice I am making for a friend and her new car.

But I persevere and dream of bigger and better things, as baby blankets, cardigans. Just hoping I get it all done in time.

Best Luck to everyone and thier knitting projects.

Carol

jodstr2
12-13-2005, 04:41 PM
I have about a third of a clog for Nana left to do. then her pair needs to be felted and dry before Friday so I can ship those (and mom's and dad's too) off to Hawaii on Friday.

blanket for Chrissy is still going. I'm kind of at the point now where I aimlessly knit rows and will probably, in all honesty, bind off like the day we see her, which is I-don't-know when.

Jeremy, I love that idea of the swatch as a preview :D! I was going to make my FIL a blanket but never started it. I will do the swatch thing.

punkhippiemom
12-13-2005, 05:35 PM
I have pared down my (admittedly ambitious) list, and bought things for most people. I have a tank top and some washcloths to do for my family in FL, a scarf or three and some mittens for the family up here... My kids were on the list to get knitted things, too, but unfortunately we have here a case of the shoemaker's children going barefoot... I felt enormous guilt when we had to BUY hats for my boys :blush: :roflhard: Oh well... It's the thought that counts, and I too have shopping to finish and cookies to make.
Next time I start knitting for Christmas in July rather than October ;)

jsauer
12-13-2005, 05:56 PM
Well, praise the saints! I am NOT alone!

4 ponchos for sis and sil's(1 done but not blocked or sewn, 1 on the needles)
3 scarves for nieces (2 done 1 on needles - all need finishing pompoms)

and my arms ACHE! Especially my right forearm. But if you all can do it - I CAN TOO!

Good luck to everyone and lets all regroup after Christmas and trade (war) stories over our FP's and UFO's.
:XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX: :XX:

kitkat
12-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Last night my boys both said....

I would like some slippers. Yeah.

So I guess maybe I will be wrapping up my knitpicks yarn and a copy of the fiber trends pattern for them! No way I will get those even started before Christmas!!!

Racerkatie
12-20-2005, 01:09 AM
ok, today was a day trip from Sacto to Seattle and back. And besides my laptop, what did I take? Pair #2 of FT clogs. And that is becuase I am desperately trying to finsh these for a boy for Christmas.

What is it that YOU are desperately trying to finish this week?

(Of course, this means you don't have time to be reading and posting to this forum!) .... let alone LOL to the answers!

misstialouise
12-20-2005, 01:13 AM
Nothing, thankfully.. :D

I got it finished last night..

YAY for me!

Jenelle
12-20-2005, 01:17 AM
ohh lets think... MP3 player cozy, cell phone cozy, about 4 cotton wash cloths, and 5 scrubbies.

:shock:

Wow thats alot, but I will get them all done :D

InterNette
12-20-2005, 01:26 AM
wow you made that trip in a day? cool I use to live in seattle I miss it soooo much. I am desparate for a shawl since I accidently got one caught on a door knob and pulled the stitches out of shape.
Every single year the same thing happens, every year and every year I forwarn and swear it wont be allowed to happen the next year. My roommate is always going to take care of his family, he knows what he is going to do. So I plan my friends and family and every year he comes up short and appears lost and begs for help. He also always wants my gift selections. I made my aunt a quilt last year and he just knew it was the perfect thing for his daughter. Let me say she is too prima donna for anything handmade and anything that isnt more expensive. I hated giving it to someone who I knew wouldnt appreciate it let alone use it. I so made it for my aunt and she is in her 70's and it isnt like i have tons and tons of time. So my aunt didnt get it, his daughter did. This year he wanted one of my hats, 2 of my scarves and so on. I gave him one scarf and I said nothing more, He had to go buy gift certificates. I told him to buy yarn and I will make some next year I am not a machine to finish anymore this year. He did buy me a couple nice skeins of lambs pride and I will do things to be put away for next year and try and be a step ahead of him. He said I thought you were making clogs, I said when I learn how I will. I start for next year now, lol.

Jenelle
12-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Starting now is good. Take your time on your projects and not rushing is the best :)

I should start christmas presents around March.

Silver
12-20-2005, 01:45 AM
Nothing 'cept Christmas shopping.
I'm not giving any knitted gifts this year. :shock:

knittingdoula
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
A Harry Potter Gryffindor scarf for DS. And possibly a diaper cover for my little DD, who could care less! But the scarf really needs to be done by Chanukkah .... it's SOOOOOOO incredibly boring, too. And I'm avoiding it by knitting on the diaper cover, which has yummier merino wool, a cool colorway and is a little more interesting, what with the ribbing and short rows.

Would love to knit my mom and dad some hats before Sunday. Wonder if I can do it .... hrm .... I have some wonderful alpaca I could do it in.

That's about it for now.

Alison

jelly
12-20-2005, 02:04 AM
a hat for BossMan - crazy me decided to knit it on size 5 needles out of lorna's laces shepard worsted - i have to have it finished by Thurs and i just started it yesterday - i'll finish it in time, but i am starting to feel the pressure

humblestumble
12-20-2005, 02:05 AM
three hats - one nippertail and two basic beanies... But sadly I might give up on the other two beanies. Knitting a hat is taking way longer that I anticipated.

foldedbird
12-20-2005, 02:08 AM
For a sec, I thought that said nippLetail! :roflhard:

humblestumble
12-20-2005, 02:09 AM
lol! Silly... ;)

BinkyKat
12-20-2005, 02:27 AM
a bottle a' Jack to get through the week!
Kidding! I intended to do some "quick" stuffers of cloths for the MIL and AuntIL but frogged the first one 3 times then cut my losses. I can't believe it! they aren't hard, but there's something about that dang lighthouse! i get up to the first row or yo's and pssk2yotogeieioR2D2 cr@ppin' row and invariably get distracted and screw it up. Besides, my dingie workmate decided last week she wanted to learn to knit and had some of that Target yarn and the wooden needles. it's cute stuff but NOT to be knitting having never held a needle or anything, and she has NOOOOO patience. I quickly kept my KIPing to a minimum cuz she attacks me every day! why o why do people do this to us? that's another day in that other thread...
So, I decided they would understand if they got these after the holidays (not knowing what of course) as I told DH that I couldn't bear to give even the tiniest knitted project in hate. Just like momma says "never go to bed angry" I say "never knit and gift in frustration!" :roflhard:
now off to bed! i stay up waaay tooo late! :zzz:

nicolethegeek
12-20-2005, 08:29 AM
I know that I'm not going to get all the items I'm working on done in time. More than anything, it's gonna be finishing up what I have in progress, rather than starting any of the other projects I have planned. I want to get at least one of hubby's hockey socks done. Half a pair is better than a couple balls of wool and some needles! I will be finishing up the stocking cap for DS today. I have to learn how to graft toes, so that I can graft the toes on DSs socks. I have one more LB Boucle/Fun Fur scarf to finish up, and the ends on the other two scarves. I need to put the thumbs on the mittens I made for my older girls. I need to find where I hid the Boa scarves that I was working on and assess where I stand with those. I'm certain I got at least 2 of the 3 done. I have one sock in progress for one of my girls, and I'd like to try and finish up that pair, but I'm not holding my breath. The camo socks have been my at work project where I get a few rows done here and there at the end of my breaks and such.

kitkat
12-20-2005, 08:52 AM
I finished step mom scarf, SIL scarf and DS #1 scarf (pictures to be posted later).

Still in the queue:
Hat for #2 son
Eye lash scarf for hairdresser (due 12/27)
Eye lash scarf for DS #1 girlfriend (this is not a must do, as I did do a booga bag for her).

Note to self: start way earlier for next year!!!!

kitkat
12-22-2005, 07:46 AM
Where do we stand on this? I have been spending 2-3 hours a night knitting, and will need to do my last minute shopping and wrapping on Saturday - had planned on having tomorrow off, but it isnt going to happen now :shock:

Pictures of FO"s to come tonight, and I am down to the wire.

I need to:

make hat for son (first effort was cute, but girly, so keeping that for someone else) - I am going to do his with all ribbing, I think.
make two other hats out of handpaintedyarn.com bulky yarn....

I am on a roll with this hat thing!

I also have a scarf I need done by the 27th.

foldedbird
12-22-2005, 05:06 PM
Sooo, I thought last month of doing some Christmas knitting. but, my mother in law and I talked, and she said she didn't want anything for Christmas, let's just do Christmas for the kids.

And then she gives us money, and announces she wants a particular gift (a cheap one) and then last night to the whole family "I can't believe I didn't get anything that's knitted for Christmas!". So, ya know me... I pop my head up and holler: "YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T WANT ANYTHING!".

So, now, I'm knitting a hat (for after Christmas) and gauntlets. Yay, me!

Mer
12-22-2005, 11:19 PM
Finished my gift knitting today! :happydance: It's not everything I had originally planned, but that's ok. Now what to do?!?!?

Ingrid
12-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Anything you want!!! :happydance: :happydance:

InterNette
12-22-2005, 11:49 PM
My problem is getting all the boxes mailed, I have 2 I havent done yet, shame on me. I just get distracted and keep forgetting these last 2, of course the $140.00 I paid already in mailing could be the reason. That is the bad thing about living away from everyone in your family, but on the other side of that coin I sure know a lot about peaceful christmases.

knitbebe
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
I just finished my 2nd scarf, for friends that I will exchange gifts with tomorrow!!!

I had lofty plans at Thanksgiving for knitting several gifts--that fell apart after a friend asked me to knit her a poncho. I happily agreed to knit her one :shock: . Which has put me way behind.

So I either I start early next year, or no knitted gifts (except for me :happydance: ) for anyone. I have never knitted so furiously--and I'm not a good furious knitter, too unzen like for my taste!

Good luck to everyone, finishing up last minute gifts. May sugar plums and finished sweaters, hats, scarfs etc. dance in your head.

knitbebe

kitkat
12-23-2005, 12:08 AM
Too tired to take pictures and post - I am down to the girlfriend eyelash scarf (due on the 26th) and the hairdresser scarf (due on the 28)....my hats are way cute! Nothing fancy or frilly but I am happy with all 4 of them (the original girly-hat, the two handpainted yarn hats, and the ribbed manly man hat)......my wrists are a little tired - that handpainted thick thin yarn is a pita the first few rows on circulars!!!

punkhippiemom
12-23-2005, 04:36 PM
:shock: ACK!
ONE MORE DAY!!!
Lucky for me, most of my knitted gifts don't have to be given until Christmas Day, and the ones that go out tomorrow night have been done for ages....
I have two scarves on needles, one fingerless mitten, and a hat yet to be cast on... :doh: I am really hating the yarn for this one scarf, it looked and felt so nice, but it's a pita to work with (Red Heart... don't remember the name, but it looks like mohair :?? ) and the other is for my DH so being done by Christmas is more of a guideline lol...

ella
12-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah! I got my presents done, they are wrapped and ready to head over to my parents' house :happydance: . Hope everyone got their presents done, and has a wonderful holiday!!!