PDA

View Full Version : Hats for Sale!

Ingrid
12-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I posted this in my blog, but then I realized that not everyone reads everything.

I was at a shop that sells hand-made items. I stop by there every year, they have beautiful pottery, jewelry, wood work, ornaments, etc.

This year they had knitted items for the first time. The first hat I picked up had fairisle on the side and a flat top. $74!!! There were simple hats and berets and none of them was less than $40. A red seed stitch scarf with fun fur trim was priced for $50. The least expensive thing I saw was a pair of simple wrist warmers for $26.

I didn't see people buying anything, but when someone asks you to make them something, remember what the tags say out in the 'real world."

Jaxhil
12-10-2005, 06:36 PM
:shock: WOW! I can't imagine paying that for a hat or scarf, but it makes me feel better about buying pricey yarn :D Don't imagine that logic would work on DH though, lol!

VictoiseC
12-10-2005, 07:06 PM
This is so true Ingrid! Down the street from me at Barney's where I can't afford to buy anything, they have these simple hats, albeit in beautiful stripes and soft yarn, for $175 !!!!! ????? Even when they go on sale in January they'll be like, $80 or so. And I ripped a page out of a magazine the other day, Town and Country, just to keep in my knitting notebook that has a "cashmere pom pom hat" for $260 and matching cashmere scarf for $1,680. I'M NOT KIDDING! Available at Malo, on Madison Avenue in case anybody wants to buy one. :D

Ingrid
12-10-2005, 07:17 PM
:shock: I guess I'll just hop on the train and head down. :rollseyes: Maybe I should set up a blanket on the sidewalk out front :thinking:

rebecca
12-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Just like my mom used to say about her quilting, she could never put a price on it...at least not one that someone would pay...LOL..she did every stitch of her quilts by hand and there is no $ amt for that!!
Yes, I couldn't sell anything, I would price it quite high...LOL, bc of time & material...but I love gifting the same item that I wouldn't be able to sell bc I would charge too much for it ;)

jodstr2
12-10-2005, 10:51 PM
:shock:

wow.

all our proceeds went to charity last week so we priced ours what we thought was high side: scarves were $20-40 and hats were $10-20.

Sara
12-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Thanks, Ingrid! I'm not feeling so bad about taking money for my hat. ;)

Jeremy
12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
There is small art gallery in downtown here. I brought a friend there and he was thrilled to buy a scarf made of fun fur in garter stitch for $35. :doh:

Jenelle
12-11-2005, 12:42 AM
I could never imagine buying something that exspensive that I could go down to the store, get the yarn, and make it myself for alot less :shock:

VictoiseC
12-11-2005, 02:35 PM
:rofling: Yup Ingrid, we could set up on that blanket and sell some of our stuff.

ebrperk
12-11-2005, 11:11 PM
I think I will get that $1680 scarf for EVERYONE for Christmas.

Robin

Ingrid
12-11-2005, 11:58 PM
Victoise and I will be selling them out front for half that price, if you want to stop by! ;) Just one sale should cover the bail money, and the rest will be ours!!!!

kemp
12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
I have a friend that keeps trying to convince me that not everyone has the "I can make that" spirit. She thinks those crunched for time or ones who don't knit are willing to pay a more for something original and handmade. So of course, she think I should be selling stuff. The problem is, I just don't think there is enough time in a day!

VictoiseC
12-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Ok I'm camera/computer crazy coz I just got my new digital and my repaired computer back soooooooooo

just for your amusement, here is the scarf. To prove I wasn't exagerating! :rollseyes:

gimmesanity
12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
You've gotta be kidding me...this is for people who have so much money they don't know what to do with it. That scarf is pretty, yes, but it's not a mortgage-payment pretty.

~Sharon, who is off to make herself a $2K scarf and hat set, too....

Ingrid
12-13-2005, 07:34 PM
For that price, I expected to see something at least attractive. It would be pretty without the balls on it. That is hideous, in my opinion. It looks like it has a disease! :rofling: Absolutely ridiculous!!

nicolethegeek
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
<Ed from Lion King voice> Man, is that UUUUUUG-LEE!!!!!</voice>

That belongs on the you knit what blog!!!

BinkyKat
12-14-2005, 01:31 AM
two words....
Yarn Tumors
:shock:

better yet..... Fiberoids :roflhard:

Ingrid
12-14-2005, 08:59 AM
FIBEROIDS!!!!!!!!! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

kemp
12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: Too funny!

I can't believe THAT is the scarf/hat set that costs so much!

AidanM
12-14-2005, 11:46 AM
The blanket I'm making, if I pay myself minimum wage for time and factor in materals, it's valued at OVER 200 dollars! People are usually really surprised when they hear about this. I love the whole mindset "Well, you can make things for yourself that are cheaper than what you'd have to pay for in a store. Right?"

kemp
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: Right. I figured my husband's cable sweater was $200 yarn and a month and a half of 2 hours a night. Few could afford the sweater if they paid any kind of wage. At $8.00 an hour that would be an additional $720!!!

Jan in CA
12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
Victoise and I will be selling them out front for half that price, if you want to stop by! ;) Just one sale should cover the bail money, and the rest will be ours!!!!

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

foldedbird
12-14-2005, 01:03 PM
:roflhard: fiberoids

VictoiseC
12-14-2005, 01:28 PM
hilarious..... FIBEROIDS.

It is an ugly thing isn't it??? Imgrid, I just realised the title is HATS FOR SALE and I've gone and made it about a scarf..... oh well,
there's the hat there too for $160 or whatever.

Yup, for people who have TOO MUCH MONEY. LIke on tv yesterday was a show about Christmas gifts and giving store credit cards as a gift and this woman says, 'oh we get so many of those to stores we never even shop at, they just LAY AROUND UNUSED.' PLEEEEEEEEESE.

those bumps do look like tumors. FIBEROIDS! :rofling:

kemp
12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
I'd like to know who that is...they shoudn't lay around...they could at least donate them!

Jan in CA
12-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I'd like to know who that is...they shoudn't lay around...they could at least donate them!

Yeah, that's a great idea!

foldedbird
12-14-2005, 01:34 PM
I did that last year. We got a gift card for a store that wasn't in our area, so I dropped it off at Navy Relief. :D