PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate woman's v-neck sweater pattern?

keelan
12-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Ok, here's a challenge for all you knitsters: I'm looking for the ultimate woman's v-neck sweater/pullover pattern. All I require is that it be relatively easy to knit, no fancy bells and whistles and cables attached to it unless the bells and whistles are there for shaping, and that it [the pattern] be able to handle different types of yarn and needle sizes. Oh, if possible, no boxy, square types need apply; I'm all about form fitting, ya know? ;)

Why the challenge? Well, I'm at a point in my knitting career where I'd like to do something fast rather than complicated. With two little ones running amuck in my house, I can barely manage a 1x1 rib pattern without losing count. I'd like to be able to memorize a pattern then just switch it up a bit with different yarn/needles so I don't get too bored. Call it a search for the safety pattern. Why sweater? Because they're more versatile and timeless than a shawl/shrug/wrap.

Do you think it's possible? Can such a pattern exist? Or are all the easy knit sweater patterns unflattering and boxy throwbacks to the 80s?

Any takers? Gosh, I'll even PAY for one, folks! LOL! Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendations.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2005, 12:42 AM
Try The Sweater Workshop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892725729/qid=1134276094/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4476138-4728645?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

rebecca
12-11-2005, 03:00 AM
That's the book that I shall be using of which was recommended to me by my true Knitting Yoda...she knows from which she speaks bc she's been knitting for many, many years, knits beautiful sweaters and has never seamed one...all are knit in the round, as is described in the book Hilde mentioned :thumbsup:

KellyK
12-11-2005, 05:14 AM
Knitting Pure & Simple (http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/) patterns are just that. Simple. And, knit from the top down with minimal finishing (NO seaming!!). It would be easy enough to add waist shaping if you wished!

keelan
12-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks so much for the input, folks! I was actually eyeing The Sweater Workshop but needed more input before I invested in yet another knitting book. Will be going to the local bookstore to pick this up asap. Will also check out Knitting Pure and Simple while I'm there. :)

Carol_OH
12-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Try The Sweater Workshop (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0892725729/qid=1134276094/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-4476138-4728645?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

thanks alot Hildie - all I need is to drool and covet another patten book!

:shock:

;)

Jan in CA
12-11-2005, 01:27 PM
That looks like a good book, Hildie! It mentions DPN's though..can they be done on circs?

rebecca
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
You can view some of the pages here (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=30595). FYI, the odd looking hourglass kind of shaped thing is actually the sampler that you knit while reading the book, the book is as titled, a workshop on knitting sweaters in the round. By the time you have finished each 'class' and the sampler I am told that you should have no problem with knitting sweaters, tops in the round! It's an EXCELLENT book, I've not yet done it bc I've got lots of projects & things that I want to complete before beginning garment knitting, but...I think it's GREAT!! Very detailed.
Another friend also recommended this site (http://www.woolworks.org/patterns/raglan.html) :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-11-2005, 05:24 PM
They recommend DPNs for the sleeves, but I think you could probablly do them on circs if they were small enough...

Knitting Pure and Simple is a set of patterns, not a book. I'm doing one of their cardigans, and it's very easy. It's been sitting for a while because I have to get all the christmas knitting over with, but EVENTUALLY I'll get back to it!

keelan
12-12-2005, 01:04 AM
As soon as I did a search on Knitting Pure and Simple, I realized that they were patterns and not a book. Still, I actually loved several of the pullovers shown on the website and I went and bought 4 patterns: two cardis, a poncho and that classic pullover I wanted. Am still asking for the Sweater Workshop book for Xmas. Wheeee! Now if only I can finish this darned Anthropologie-inspired shrug. I've had to frog it twice now. Ah, well...third time lucky? At least it's something to do while I wait for my sweater patterns to come in...

KellyK
12-12-2005, 01:13 AM
OH! You did a SEARCH? I linked to their site in my original post.....when you see that words are a different color (like my blue ones above), hover over them...they are most likely a direct link!

SO glad you found what you were looking for! :cheering:

feministmama
12-12-2005, 01:49 PM
there's always this book too

http://www.powells.com/biblio/62-1931499047-0

Holly
12-12-2005, 07:46 PM
Great thread! Now that I've finished the Fiber Trends Clogs, I'm searching around for another challenge. I've been afraid to try a sweater, but that book sounds great -- I love the idea of creating a sampler! Are all the lessons arranged so that you keep working on one sweater sampler? I've been looking into some books by Elizabeth Zimmerman -- is this the same thing she teaches? Better, maybe?

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 08:12 PM
I think this book is a lot more basic on technique than the EZ's book. The sampler is a great idea as it lets you practice all the techniques you need for pretty much anything. EZ is wonderful on sweater construction, but there's less exact how-to.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-12-2005, 09:33 PM
I was thinking, that we should call 2006 "the year of the sweater," And start a new monthly KAL (separate ftom the regular monthly challenge) and do 4 sweaters/tops, one for each season. Like, we'd start a spring one in January, and finish in March; start a summer tank in March, ready by May; June July and Aug would be a fall sweater, and Sept. Oct and Nov a winter one. We could make it more interesting by having each person design their own sweater (we can use hildie's handy mathematical method*). OR doing choices for ribbing, sleeve style, neck style, etc. If we spend 3 months on each one, that gives lots of time for each segment--front, back, sleeves, finishing. What do we think?

*yet to be published!

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 09:38 PM
This *we* thinks that there are so many beautiful sweater patterns out there that this *we* doesn't want to go through the hassle of 'sweater math'. That's just one *we's* opinion, though.

keelan
12-12-2005, 10:53 PM
But methinks this monster is quite benign. In fact, I'd really love to hop on board the seasonal sweater thing. Wouldn't it be better, though, to all agree on a pattern for each sweater since it's to be a KAL? Or have I not got my terminology correct? Can knitalongs be done with different patterns at the same time? And if so, then I may not be able to join since I'm still a beginner and may not be able to keep up, especially since you all are thinking of sweater design and - ACK! - math.

Still waiting for my Knitting Pure and Simple patterns, though. And got some really awesome yarns on eBay. Hey, am I OT? Should we start a new thread now?

Ingrid
12-12-2005, 11:28 PM
It's your thread! I think most of them wander off to different places at some point. . .

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Hmmm... well KAL don't HAVE to all be the same pattern. ust the same *something*. One pattern might not be flattering to all knitters, if you know what I mean (like a bateau neck cropped tight fitting sweater woul dmake me look like a sausage losing the stuffing, but might look fabulous on KK).

Knitting math *is* easy!!! But, maybe that's too much to worry about for a beginning beginner. And it would be easier to help/solve problems if everyone is doing the same thing. Maybe we can save the designing and math for the last one :-)

Did you pick out on that you want to try, Keelan?

keelan
12-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, I think I want to try either #9726 or #996, but then again, I really like #244. http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/page2.html
You're gonna have to scroll down for them; sorry! :(

The first two both look very similar and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just have bought one of the patterns and substituted chunky yarn for a chunky yarn look. Also, #9726 seems awfully big (finished chest 40-52?!) so I hope the pattern allows me to make it smaller.

The yarn I'm thinking of using is Moda Dea's Eden. http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=nw0268

My LYS is the Michael's down the street - no cool actual yarn stores anywhere near me - so I'm limited to what I can buy in that store before my eBay and Knitpicks yarns come in.

What do you think? Will it work?

P.S. Ok, how do you people make a word a link instead of just copy/pasting the URL?

P.P.S. Can we still do a KAL if the pattern isn't free? 'Cause I think I'd like a KAL on one of these sweaters for some moral support...

MaryS
12-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi,

Of course we can do a KAL if the pattern isn't free!!!

The longest KAL in history - FiberTrends Clogs (100 pages and counting) isn't a free pattern. It's the best $5 investment I ever made!!!

I already have two sweaters (both Arans) I need to finish this winter - neither of which are started yet, but I have the pattern and yarn for both. To top it off I'm a CPA and have NO LIFE between Feb 1st and April 15th. This is going to be tough :thinking: :?? :thinking: :?? .

Happy sweater Knitting :XX: :XX:
(sweaters are my favorite thing!!)

Mary

Holly
12-13-2005, 12:15 PM
I love your idea, Hilde! I've been afraid to attempt a sweater because I was worried I'd spend a lot of time and money on something that wouldn't fit (or look good on me...how many times did I think a sweater in the store looked great on the rack, but ended up making me look like a 10 pound sausage in a 5 pound casing ?! :help: ).

I'd love to try something simple, but custom fit. Most of all, I want it to be something I can actually finish!

I asked for knitting without tears for xmas, but now I want to order the sweater workshop TODAY! (must have instant gratification!!) Maybe we should have a Hilde Sweater Workshop KAL?! You could then be the Queen of 2006 -- The Year of The Sweater :happydance:

wyoknitter
12-14-2005, 02:38 PM
Keelan ~

I really like both 9726 and 996....I have been thinking about those two myself. I think that being a slightly bigger ( how is that for denial? ) person...that I would like 9726 because it uses the lighter weight yarn.
They are both beautiful. I would be happy to KAL on this project with you.

Laura

Angelia
12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Some of us are already on board (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=83585#83585) for a Tubey (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html) KAL starting in January if anyone is interested!

keelan
12-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Yay! I want to do #9726 too! Can we please KAL it? Because I just read the pattern and I already have issues. I started a new thread about it but I guess I can ask it here:

If the pattern calls for 24" and 16" circs to do in the round knitting for the body and sleeves respectively, can I get away with using 29" circs for the body? It's just that I spent an inordinate amount of money on a set of 29" circs already and have to puchase the 16" circs and DPNs to complete the project so I was hoping to save money on the 24". Someone from the other thread said using longer needles would mess with my gauge but since I've never knitted in the round with my circs, I don't know how crucial this is.

Any help?

Holly
12-14-2005, 03:31 PM
I :heart: the style of the Tubey sweater! I wonder what other yarn substitutions could be used? My knitting downfall is that I'm allergic to wool :shock: However, I'm learning that there are lots of different wools, so not all would necessarily bother me. Would it be better to choose a cheaper yarn and a very basic pattern for a first sweater? I also don't quite get how you choose your size -- actual chest measurement, or what the sweater will stretch to accomodate?

Angelia
12-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I :heart: the style of the Tubey sweater! I wonder what other yarn substitutions could be used? My knitting downfall is that I'm allergic to wool :shock: However, I'm learning that there are lots of different wools, so not all would necessarily bother me. Would it be better to choose a cheaper yarn and a very basic pattern for a first sweater? I also don't quite get how you choose your size -- actual chest measurement, or what the sweater will stretch to accomodate?

I've wondered about non-wool yarns, too. I'd like to use some kind of cotton blend for Tubey so that I can wear it longer, but cotton can be so heavy--I don't want it to end up around my knees. I'm going the wool route first to see how the sweater knits up and am doing mine in KP Andean Silk b/c I want it to be oh-so-very soft.

As for size, I'm going with the size I normally wear in clingy sweaters, a medium. I have a 36" bust, but I'll likely make the medium (the designer, though she has a 36" bust, is wearing an S, but she looks smaller in general than I).

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-14-2005, 03:53 PM
do it!!! ANYONE can start a KAL *whenever* they want to!!!!! Don't wait for me to be "ready"; Go ahead and start one, and those of us who've made sweaters/tops before will pop in and out to help with the pattern if you have questions.

I'll probablly start one in January for a custom fit one, for anyone who's interested in that. Maybe you guys will have the other one finished by then!

ChroniclesofYarnia
12-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Ya know, if I can swing the yarn cost (i.e. run it by my dh), I am definitely in for the 4 sweater a year knit club. I need clothes, but rarely knit myself anything that isnt' some sort of accesory.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-15-2005, 04:14 PM
cool! I was thinking about doing knitpicks yarn, since it's pretty inexpensive.