PDA

View Full Version : OT: New Years Resolutions?

schrodinger
12-13-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm curious to see if anyone has started thinking about their New Years resolutions yet? Do you start immediately on the first/or stroke of midnight, or are you not doing them at all? Some years I have grand plans (lose weight, watch less TV etc). Other years, I say 'what's the point? My expectations are too high anyway'. This year I have decided on a few, if anyone is interested, here they are:

1. Quit snacking, not snacks altogether, but just the *bad* stuff, M&Ms, chips, other candies.
2. Learn German - well, relearn and become more fluent.
3. Actually get the guts up to buy enough of one yarn and *actually* knit a sweater.
4. Do more different things in the city, I'm in a rut and need to stop going to the same places.
5. Change my job to something that may be more of a challenge, but less stressful

I think that's enough, and attainable. What's yours?

Jan in CA
12-13-2005, 02:00 AM
I haven't thought about it yet, but that avatar is so cute!

Jenelle
12-13-2005, 02:07 AM
I actually havn't thought about my new years resolution.... maybe I should start thinking about it. :thinking:

AidanM
12-13-2005, 02:13 AM
I resolve not to have any resolutions! :P

NesanelRose
12-13-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm gonna try and cut back on the Coca Cola(I drink at least two cans a day and it's bad for meeee!), which I tried last year and only lasted a week...
I'm also making a resolution to get back on track to help my anxiety and go back to school. :thumbsup:

sogrammatical
12-13-2005, 03:08 AM
I don't tend to try for any sort of breaking bad habits/making good habits resolutions. I know I'm not invested in them enough to actually keep them.

In the past few years, I've made resolutions of a few simple things that I'd like to improve about myself/my personality. Last year, I resolved to be less afraid of people. This year, I resolved to be less annoying. I'm not entirely sure what I'll do for next year, or if I'll try to do anything at all. I'll probably decide on New Years Eve or something.

KellyK
12-13-2005, 08:45 AM
I resolve not to have any resolutions! :P
I'm with ya, Aidan!!

nicolethegeek
12-13-2005, 09:12 AM
The one thing I've thought about is to dig up a bunch of my UFOs, and finish them. Every month another UFO will be adopted, and I have to finish it that month. I'm trying to decide between 3 different projects for January... A shawl thats nearly done, a popcorn MAM afghan {haven't done a stitch on it in over 4 years!}, and my Homespun sweatercoat.

Vendie
12-13-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm not making any resoultions, but I'm going to work on:

time management
money management
stash management
and
keeping my desk at work clean and organized :roflhard: hah that's a funny one.

dustinac
12-13-2005, 09:54 AM
I don't make them either except just try to be a better mother, wife, daughter, and friend... :blush:

earthchick
12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I always make them! But I don't always keep them.... :rollseyes:

Here are some I'm considering for 2006:
1 - floss my teeth every night
2 - get into a good housecleaning routine
3 - learn to knit socks
4 - enter checking expenditures in my checkbook every night (I am sooo bad about this)
5 - get a will done (can't believe I haven't done that :blush: ) - and maybe buy more life insurance for dh and me

Oh, and I'll be turning 35 in June and for some reason that feels like a big birthday to me (in some ways bigger than 30). I would like to be in my best physical shape ever by then. (ambitious much?) I gained a ton of weight when I was pg and didn't lose nearly all of it once the boys were born (in fact I gained 15 pounds, even while breastfeeding!). This year I have lost roughly 30 pounds. Ideally, I'd like to lose another 15-20 by June. I'm not a drastic dieter type person - I hope to keep losing the way I have lost so far. Lots of fruits and veggies, lifting weights 3-4 times a week, and dancing with my boys as much as possible. :D

mintdee
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
I will be working on getting more excercise. I am soo out of shape. :rollseyes:
But it is not labeled a resolution because then I really won't do it. :roflhard:

Julie
12-13-2005, 10:50 AM
Last year we started a tradition and my kids are sooo excited about it -- not resolutions in the traditional sense -- but we have a little family new year's party adn we all write down 5 wishes for the year. Something we want to learn, some place we want to visit that we've never been, something we want to get better at, a bad habit we'd like to work on, an I forget the fifth one :roflhard: We sealed them up and will read them on January 1 when we do our new ones.

It's been fun throughout the year to mentally check these off -- we all went to the places we'd never been before, and learned the things we wanted to! Mine was learning to knit... :happydance:

To be honest I haven't even thought about what's going on this year's list!

DotMom61
12-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Julie ... I *love* that idea, and I might just steal it!!! That's terrific.

I am definitely going to be working on my overall physical self ... gotta lose about 20 lbs & get into better physical shape. I have been struggling w/ this for a couple of years now, and this year -- with all the stress -- didn't help at all.

And, as a combined effort, DH and I have resolved that we will turn our office into a truly, workable office. Right now, it's just a dropping-off point for everything that doesn't have a home elsewhere, and it's driving us both crazy.

I *do* like your idea, though, Julie, and I'm going to write it down & propose it to the family!!

earthchick
12-13-2005, 11:26 AM
Julie, what a neat idea!! I really like it. Maybe when my boys are a little older we can start that tradition too. Very cool. Dh doesn't like anything that seems remotely like a "resolution," but maybe he would go for this...

Btw, I had no idea you had just started knitting this year. Now I'm even more impressed with that darling little soaker you posted last week. :inlove: I'm still trying to screw up my courage to do two pairs of longies after Christmas. My boys are in desperate need, I've had the yarn and the pattern (from LTK) for 6 weeks, and still I've hesitated....

CateKnits
12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
1. Lose these last six pounds! I've lost ten since the beginning of the year, which is about one every two weeks, so I think this WILL happens. And along with it, get to the gym more often than just for ballet class. Two hours a week is nothing for me. :rollseyes:
2. Stop procrastinating on my lab assignments. :shock: Due Tuesday at midnight does not mean sit in the lab all day Tuesday being grumpy and not getting anything done for hours at a time. :oops:
3. Get a job at school. Sigh.

nicolethegeek
12-13-2005, 11:29 AM
And, as a combined effort, DH and I have resolved that we will turn our office into a truly, workable office. Right now, it's just a dropping-off point for everything that doesn't have a home elsewhere, and it's driving us both crazy.
If you haven't already, take a look at flylady: www.flylady.net I call her Weight Watchers for the house. She doesn't teach you *how* to clean, she inspires you to get off your butt and actually do something! :roflhard:

DotMom61
12-14-2005, 07:21 PM
If you haven't already, take a look at flylady: www.flylady.net I call her Weight Watchers for the house. She doesn't teach you *how* to clean, she inspires you to get off your butt and actually do something! :roflhard:

Oh, yes, I've been "FLYing" for a couple of years now, actually. I'm still quite stubborn about sticking to a routine, though. But I do like FLYlady's approach to things, and her 15-minute rule gets me going frequently. Love it!

MaggieL
12-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Oh, yes, yes, yes. DH and I have bought a new treadmill for Christmas and plan to get up at 5:00 every morning and exercising. We already own a bike.

And ... Win the lottery. :present:

feministmama
12-14-2005, 08:38 PM
World Peace :thumbsup: