PDA

View Full Version : How to make a bigger booga bag

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
I want to hear from anyone who has enlarged the booga successfully and what wool you used and size needles.
I love the bag and everyone's pics are so pretty. I just gotta do one but don't want a small one.
I've ordered 3 skeins of noro but can always use that to make a smaller bag for one of the girls.

Jax3303
12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
I didn't feel like swatching and doing the knitting math, so I just went for it, adding 20 to everything. Instead of casting on 34, I CO 54. instead of knitting 34 rows for the bottom, I knit 54 (and so on for the rest of the bag) this larger booga was for my mom, and she wanted it bigger than mine, with shorter handles. she was thrilled with the results. I used WOTA for it (and size US 10.5 needles) , but since I did so many color changes, I got more balls of yarn than I would have needed, and I'm not sure how many I would have used for a solid color bag.

here's a pic of the finished booga I made for my mom:

wyoknitter
12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi Tigger~

I just finished a bigger booga bag last night. I haven't felted it so I don't know how much bigger it will be. I used Lamb's Pride Bulky and size 13 needles. I cast on 40 stitches...and went 88 stitches high. Right now the thing looks humongoid :D

I will post a pic when it gets felted.

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 10:21 AM
JAX, that is gorgeous! i'm sure your mom is extremely happy. thanks for the info.
wyoknitter, I just was admiring your booga over on the wha cha knitting topic.
Who is Lamb's Pride by? or is that a brand name?
I truly was hoping to go to HL at lunch and grab some wool.
does anyone have suggestions on the wool brand?

koolbreeze
12-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Jax~ that is a beautiful booga!!! is that Noro? do you know exactly how many skeins you used?

mintdee
12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Jax! I Looooooove that bag! Man I want to start my bag sooooo bad but I can not do it until I finish my scarf. You people make is soooo hard to stick with one project at a time! :roflhard:

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Will Lion wool work for the booga? I know HL sells it.

kemp
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
any wool should be fine, as long as it's not superwash

Jax3303
12-13-2005, 10:59 AM
awww guys! thank you for the compliments!!

koolbreeze- it's knitpicks Wool of the andes. I got one ball each of mist, rain, hush, asparagus, and Mulled wine. I didn't use all of each ball. I created the striping pattern myself.

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
thanks kemp.

nicolethegeek
12-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Geesh you guys... I've been resisting the booga urge like crazy. I was able to resist since the online pattern was so small. I *could* put it off until I had the time to fudge it to make it bigger since I want it for a POTG bag. Now I have to look for sales on Patons Classic Wool! I can't start anything until after the holidays, so maybe I'll drag my kids out for some post-Christmas sales! :roflhard:

Hands are getting better, so I better get to my work! :XX:

wyoknitter
12-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Tigger ~

Lamb's Pride is a brand name....lots of LYS carry. It should be around 6 or 7 a skein. It's really nice to work with.

Laura

Jax3303
12-13-2005, 02:21 PM
actually, Lambs pride is is a yarn by Brown Sheep yarns

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 02:23 PM
thanks guys, HL didn;t have but one wool and that was the lion. I don't have a LYS that I know of. I've had to order online from knitpicks etc.

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 02:36 PM
I got 4 skeins of lion wool (have one blue at home). blue, sage green, rose and winter white. I'll do the main bag in blue I believe with stripes of the other colors. I have to go back tomorrow as they charged me for 5 skeins and they weren't on sale! so they owe me about 6.50. I need to look around some more anyway.
also bought a tool bag by tomorrow's treasure. it will hold my scissors, needle protectors, cables, stitch holders, etc perfectly. Then I can just pull the tool bag to work on whatever project I'm on at the moment.
I got it for 40% off as I used the internet coupon.
I feel so much better than I did this morn. it's an outing like this that makes it all bearable!!!
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-13-2005, 03:16 PM
as I recall, KK made a HUGA bag earlier this year...

KellyK
12-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes...I DOUBLED everything and it was WAY WAY WAY too big!! Here's what happened:

She turned out to be 13.5 in tall x 12 in wide x 7 in deep.

Here's a better pic....now blocking with 2 shoe boxes inside a plastic bag, Much better.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/files/huge-a_bag_175.jpg

tigger0229
12-13-2005, 04:49 PM
NOW THAT IS WHAT I"M TALKING "BOUT!!!!! gorgeous!
so you doubled it and did you change the needle size, or use the 10.5?

wyoknitter
12-13-2005, 06:35 PM
Me too....its' beautiful and a great size !! :D I want mine big.

Please let us know what yarn and what needle size.

thanks so much

koolbreeze
12-13-2005, 06:37 PM
dang Jax you're good...
well i have 3 skeins of Noro and i wanted to make it bigger... and wanted to know how many i should get. i'll wing it any size is better than the orginal!

Angelia
12-13-2005, 06:38 PM
Jax--your bag is lovely!

And Kelly--THAT bag, THAT is what I want!! :cheering: :cheering:

Is it sturdy? Will it hold a hardback book or two?

KellyK
12-13-2005, 08:04 PM
OH! WOW! Well, if I remember correctly, it already calls for double-stranded yarn. So, do that. Then, I doubled the CO sts, and knit it twice as wide & tall. The sturdiness depends alot on what yarn you choose, but I used WOTA and sure, it would hold a couple of hardcover books!

Angelia
12-13-2005, 08:16 PM
I want to make one for me, obviously, but I also want to make one for my best friend. We both carry lots of books--the tools of the trade--and I'd like to be able to stuff it full of books and papers.

Now I have to order more WOTA. Isn't that a pity?! :inlove:

InterNette
12-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Jad I do love your bag, did you use double strands of WOTA's. I wonder if i ordered the wrong stuff, my wots seems so thin and i was gonna make a kitty pi with it but was sure it wouldnt work so i went and bought Lambs pride. I didnt think it was worsted there wasnt anything on the label telling me it is. I would love to know what your impression was using it for felting and if it was doubled yarn. The balls are 50 gr i think.

InterNette
12-13-2005, 08:20 PM
oops kelly beat me when I was typing post,. i thought it was double yarn.I did not double my lambs pride with my oregon tote however.

KellyK
12-13-2005, 08:30 PM
You MIGHT even considering tripling the yarn for the bottom of the bag... :thinking:

Angelia
12-13-2005, 08:40 PM
You MIGHT even considering tripling the yarn for the bottom of the bag... :thinking:

That would work, I think! What about the handles...could I triple the top couple of inches of the bag? And triple the I-cord?

gimmesanity
12-13-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm :heart: :heart: the booga bags! It's good to know that you can make them larger without messing up the pattern - the small size is what turned me off them. I may have to try one of these...

~Sharon

KellyK
12-13-2005, 09:18 PM
That would work, I think! What about the handles...could I triple the top couple of inches of the bag? And triple the I-cord?

I dont see why not....you may need to go up one needle size, but its DEFINITELY worth a shot!

kitkat
12-14-2005, 09:36 AM
Uh oh, I didnt double the yarn in mine (I am planning on felting this weekend, will show before and after pictures), and I used a yarn similar to WOTA. Hopefully it will be ok. It seemed to be a similar gauge to the Noro, which you do not double when you use (if you doubled, I think you would lose that cool striping effect because believe me, no two skeins of Noro are alike!).

Wasn't there a post of someone else who doubled theirs and then it shrunk way down in height? I think alot depends on what yarn you use, how you felt it, and then how you block it!

tigger0229
12-14-2005, 10:04 AM
BUMMER. it doesn't say double yarn on pattern and I've got 8 rows done. Would you advise that I take out and start again?

KellyK
12-14-2005, 10:48 AM
I would double at least the bottom and part way up the sides for a sturdier bag.

tigger0229
12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
okay, kiddo, will unravel and begin again. at least I just have about 8 rows. I'll double the entire thing. THANKS!!

dana_renay
12-14-2005, 02:02 PM
I doubled stranded the yarn on my booga and knit 100 rows instead of 64. I also used size 13 needles instead of the 10.5s the pattern called for. It certainly is very sturdy - it's at least 1/2" thick. But it also shrunk a bunch in height. Even though I knit an extra 36 rows, it still only turned out to be around 8" tall.

tigger0229
12-14-2005, 02:11 PM
dana, I'll do 100 rows also in height. 8 " is a good height for me.
but the width, I'm doing like Jax and adding 20. So it is 54 st in width. I tried doing 68 but felt that would be too wide for me.
I unraveled the single strands at lunch and redid casting on double strands. I have 11 completed gorgeous rows!!
can't wait to knit after work. :happydance:

wyoknitter
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I just finished felting my second bag ( see I told you it was addicting )...and it's much bigger and more to my liking. I used Lamb's Pride Bulky ( by Brown Sheep Co. ) and size 13 needles. I didn't double it.
I CO 40 stitches and knit 82 rows high. My bag is still drying but is 11 inches tall and 4.5 inches deep.

I will post a pic when it's done...but I really like this size.

Laura

Angelia
12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I just finished felting my second bag ( see I told you it was addicting )...and it's much bigger and more to my liking. I used Lamb's Pride Bulky ( by Brown Sheep Co. ) and size 13 needles. I didn't double it.
I CO 40 stitches and knit 82 rows high. My bag is still drying but is 11 inches tall and 4.5 inches deep.

I will post a pic when it's done...but I really like this size.

Laura

That sounds perfect--can't wait to see it!

tigger0229
12-14-2005, 03:05 PM
oh boy, can't wait to see the pic!
with your using bulky, i bet that added the strength that we are getting from the 2nd strand .
I love the feeling of the two strands! very strong and sturdy.

aprildavis99
12-15-2005, 03:16 AM
I didn't double my Noro. I like how it turned out, but for a bigger bag, doubling sounds right...to make it sturdier. I am going to have to try this...too. Booga Booga Booga Booga. :cheering:

Cristy
12-15-2005, 04:10 PM
allright--I'm a newbie so help me out. This booga bag everyone keeps talking about is beautiful but I can't seem to find an original pattern--I'm sure it's right in front of me but I'm so new to this board that I'm not proficient in finding things yet--help a newbie please--someone tell me where I can find the pattern for this booga bag!!! TIA!

tigger0229
12-15-2005, 04:14 PM
cristy WELCOME!!!!
heres the pattern:
http://www.dobsonsw.com/Gifts/frame_redirect.php?RedirectURL=http://www.blacksheepbags.com/booga_bag.html

Cristy
12-15-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks tigger! I think the booga bag is beyond my abilities right now but I love the way it looks--It's going to be number 3 on my want to do list--first is to learn to make socks, the other is to make a doggie sweater (b/c my dh says the only way he'll let our dog wear a sweater is if I knit it)! Thanks for responding! See ya around!

Angelia
12-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks tigger! I think the booga bag is beyond my abilities right now but I love the way it looks--It's going to be number 3 on my want to do list--first is to learn to make socks, the other is to make a doggie sweater (b/c my dh says the only way he'll let our dog wear a sweater is if I knit it)! Thanks for responding! See ya around!

:waving: Welcome, Cristy!

The booga is not beyond your abilities!! It's way easier than socks! Plus there are great folks here who are more than willing to help should you run into trouble.

C'mon....try it!

tigger0229
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
you are welcome.
jump in any time!!

ebrperk
12-16-2005, 11:07 AM
It is a really easy project. I just the knit stitch on circular needles. I am sure you would do just fine.

Robin

tigger0229
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
this is my first one, and so far so good. I'm on the circulars too.
I'm on row 30 I believe or 31. I'll have to count again at lunch!

knitncook
12-16-2005, 04:52 PM

No no no!! It is easy! It's just round and round and round and round and round doing knit for a bunch of rows. In fact it is the kind of knitting that I can do while watching tv. No paying attention. Just knit knit knit knit knit knit knit until you have it as big as you want. Picking up stitches along the bottom is also *so* easy. And then the fun part comes where you felt it. You just need a washing machine, hot water and a box to form it on and let dry! You could SO do this! It would be a great beginner project because you are just knitting!

Cristy
12-17-2005, 12:48 AM
you guys are tempting me....honestly--it is the picking up stitches that bothers me--I'm not sure I understand what that means. I love this website--the videos have saved me--or at least given me the confidence I need to do this. I found that I really did already know most of the basics but I don't know anyone who knits so I had no one to tell me I was doing it right or wrong. Watching the videos has become my "confirmation". I wish there was a video for everything! :)
I'll see if I get inspired--I've never used a pair of circular needles although the concept seems easy enough--I have some but I don't think they are the right size. I'm still a little confused about yarn too--I don't know what to use and there isn't a LYS very close by--there is one that's about 25 miles away and I really want to go up there but I'm scared I'll come out in debt up to my eyeballs! To date--all of my yarn comes from Michaels or Joann's for the most part. I keep seeing everyone talking about yarn but it's kind of confusing b/c I can't figure out what's a brand name and what's a "type". I'm not very yarn educated and I don't know what's strong, what's not--I don't know what works well for different types of projects. I appreciate the vote of confidence though!

Angelia
12-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Oh, picking up stitches is super easy! Watch Amy's video here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php) (just scroll down the page). You'll be amazed at how hard picking up stitches ISN'T!! As with most of knitting, it only seems hard.

As for the yarn, go with Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks, the fave around here because it is so inexpensive and wonderful. And if you ever have yarn questions, just ask!

C'mon, give the booga a try! The booga becons! Hear it? : "Make me, Cristy....you will love me, Cristy..."

Cristy
12-17-2005, 09:29 AM
okay okay okay--I'll try. I have to finish one teeny tiny thing I'm doing for someone first but I should have it done by the end of the weekend so I'll get the yarn ordered today in hopes that it'll get here quickly! :)

Angelia
12-17-2005, 09:33 AM
okay okay okay--I'll try. I have to finish one teeny tiny thing I'm doing for someone first but I should have it done by the end of the weekend so I'll get the yarn ordered today in hopes that it'll get here quickly! :)

YAY!!!!! :thumbsup:

brightspot
01-15-2006, 12:36 AM
As for the yarn, go with Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks, the fave around here because it is so inexpensive and wonderful. And if you ever have yarn questions, just ask!

I bought some of this for the booga bag a month or so ago. I bought 3 skeins like it said, but it really doesn't look like enough. Should I buy some more? I don't want a tiny bag.

Angelia
01-15-2006, 09:52 AM
3 makes for a VERY small bag indeed. If you look at the dimensions in the patttern, it's small. The photo is really misleading! Get 3 or four more balls and double everything!

HeatherFeather
01-15-2006, 06:51 PM
I used Noro for mine in my blog, and it isn't SMALL...but it is a biggish purse...so it also might be perspective.

I am also finding that when I felt, it shrinks from top to bottom, and not from side to side porportionatly....

So...since I have NO spatial thinking...I would make it(general products I want to felt with no pattern) longer than I want, and narrower than I expect??? will that compensate???

kitkat
01-16-2006, 11:34 PM
Have you felted yours yet Heather?

I had cast on and done some of the bottom- but I think I want to add 10 more rows of width at a minimum, so ripped it out. After my midget booga experience, I think that you are right, they shrink more in height than in width. So my plan is to cast on 44, do 44 rows, and then at least 100 up.

For this one, out of Noro, I don't want it huge. For my next one, for my mom, I plan on following in KellyK's footsteps and doubling and making it a tote. I am going to use my WOTA that ended up being wrong colors for #2 son - along with some other miscellaneous assorted goodies - I think it will be perfect!

HeatherFeather
01-17-2006, 08:27 AM
Oh yeah...i've felted it.

All have felted the same, shrunk from the top down, but notsomuch from side to side....

mouldydc
01-25-2006, 11:32 AM
I am intrigued by the Booga bag, but only have Noro Blossom not the other - booga bag friendly one.

I was a doofus when I bought it. :doh:

burnsie9999
01-25-2006, 11:38 AM
That bag is just beautiful. WOW!!! Maybe my second project will be a bag and I can try felting.. its sooooo very nice!

DannahK
01-25-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm working on a bigger booga currently - It's for a friend that carries a lot of papers and such, so I am trying for at least an 9x12x6 booga... we'll see if my math worked when I am done!

I casted on 68 stitches and will knit 54 rows and go 120 rows high.

Binkyman99
02-10-2006, 02:06 PM
I made my 1st Booga Bag a week or so ago using the NK yarn that the pattern calls for. It came out really cute, but it is too small for me.

So I just made a larger one and doubled the pattern. It came out really large and I love it! I think it will be my knitting bag or just a tote to carry around. Instead of the NK yarn, I used the Patons Classic Merino Wool that I got at Michaels. I can't remember how many skeins I used but I think it was 5.
Here are two pics, one of them is prefelted. My family was laughing at it and said it looked like a Freddy Kruger sweater!

I only had to felt once and love how it turned out! I also added some grommets to reinforce the holes.

I love felting since it doesn't show my newbie mistakes!!!!

brightspot
02-10-2006, 02:38 PM
How did you get the strap varigated? Where can I get the grommets? I love the colors on your bag. :thumbsup:

butterflymama
02-10-2006, 04:56 PM
It looks great! What are the finished measurements?

Angelia
02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Oh wow...that's gorgeous!! :inlove:

Andrea
02-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Very cute Binkyman! The Freddy Kruger comment made me laugh b/c I got sucked into watched Part 2 yesterday when it was on cable!! :roflhard:

Binkyman99
02-10-2006, 09:18 PM
I guess I should begin by saying my name is Joan, Binkyman99 is just my handle for just about everything I do. (son's nickname) and I just can't remember too many names for too many sites if you know what I mean!

Now to answer the questions..........

to butterflymama: The finished measurements are roughly 16" wide (with sides folded in as they should be)13" tall and about 6" on the base and depth.

to brightspot" I just used two different colors of the Patons wool yarn and knitted the I cord with a strand of both together....... I think I cast on 5 or 6 for the strap. And I picked up the grommets at Walmart, but you can get them at any notions place. I had a hard time with the little grommet tool and couldn't get it together with that. I ended up using my little stamping hammer for eyelets, which is a small ballpene (sp) hammer with the rounded end. Took some time, but I like the results. If anyone has any tips on setting these grommets I would love to hear!!!!