Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Andrea
01-26-2006, 01:55 PM
I don't like purling :(
And I'm not sure if I'm doing stripes..
Do these go??

CateKnits
01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Brown and orange go...especially if they're on my socks! ;) My school colors are brown and orange and no one likes them. I mean, they polled the student body last year and something crazy like 75% wanted to change to black and orange, which I think is TACKY. But I digress. Some browns work better with orange than others. I can't really tell from that picture because I spent too much time doing color correction on photos on a better monitor this week and my laptop ain't doing it for me. :rollseyes: If YOU think it goes together, go for it!

Angelia
01-26-2006, 02:03 PM
The Merino Style cinnamon will go with most oranges, Andrea--I'd go for it!

Andrea
01-26-2006, 02:14 PM
I think I will :thumbsup:

Angelia
01-26-2006, 02:16 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

And you have to add the purple...in anticipation of your Harley!!

Andrea
01-27-2006, 01:59 AM
I finally got to my first sleeve!! :cheering: :cheering:

Julie
01-27-2006, 12:19 PM
:cheering: I'm not married to the ribbin gon the sleeves...didn't bind it off or anything...but,

knitqueen
01-27-2006, 12:53 PM
Julie, are you doing yours solid, or are there stripes to come?? The green is lovely, I really like it.

Julie
01-27-2006, 01:04 PM
Solid...it's for my best friend and she ixnayed the vertical stripes. It is a pretty color...though I'm not sure I'll ever want to see it again after I'm done with this! ;)

Andrea
01-27-2006, 05:39 PM
I cannot STAND the small gaps between my needles on DPNs!!! :evil:

knitqueen
01-27-2006, 05:53 PM
I cannot STAND the small gaps between my needles on DPNs!!! :evil:

Have you ever tried magic loop, or small diameter in the round using 2 circs?? I have done all three methods (dpns too) and only had the 'gap' problem with dpns. Might want to give it a try! I personally prefer magic loop and find it faster and less cumbersome.

Andrea
01-27-2006, 05:59 PM
I haven't tried it, I might have to watch the video...

ETA: Ok, I watched it, and I REALLY want to try it! could I change to it in the middle of a sleeve? I guess I would just knit them all onto a circular needle and start, right? I need my Denises to come in b/c the Needlemaster cables are a little stiff, I don't know if they would work very well....

knitqueen
01-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Yes, you could change to it right in the middle of what you're already working on. Also wanted to add, I have the Boye Needlemaster and it is impossible to do magic loop with them :( . The cables are WAAAAAAAY too stiff for it to work properly, not to mention they are not long enough, and joining two cables together you still have the stiffness issue and the bad join.

Good luck, I hope it helps you out!

Andrea
01-27-2006, 06:12 PM
Well maybe by the time I finish one sleeve, my Denises will come in. I've been waiting about a week for my LYS to call me...or maybe I'll frog the sleeve and start over, not that I need it to look "perfect", but I do want it to look good! :D

nanonette
01-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Julie, your sweater is fabulous! Love the color, too! Are the sleeves a full length or 3/4? I like the way it looks. How did you make it?

Julie
01-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Thanks! :D The sleeves are full-length...but instead of doing the increases for the bell sleeves, I just kept knitting straight and then knit about 3.5" of 3x1 ribbing at the ends. I'm reserving judgement until the whole thing is done and I see how they look with the sweater overall...then I'll bind them off. ;)

Jeep_Girl
01-27-2006, 10:50 PM
Angelia - what is the jogless jog? Love the colors of your sleeve! How pretty!

Julie
01-28-2006, 01:32 AM
You know how when you change colors while knitting in the round, there's always a little "jog" where one color ends and the other begins...there's a way to minimize that. Here's a link w/pics: http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm

aprildavis99
01-28-2006, 03:22 AM
I'm doing mine with ribbed sleeves also. I didn't like the wide sleeves at all.

Jeep_Girl
01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
You know how when you change colors while knitting in the round, there's always a little "jog" where one color ends and the other begins...there's a way to minimize that. Here's a link w/pics: http://www.socknitters.com/kickback/joglessjog.htm

Thanks Julie! So I read it - does this mean you only do it the first time you change colors? Also - you knit one round of the new color including the last stitch - then you pick up the stitch below and knit that on and the first stitch together? I just wanted to make sure I understood - thanks!

Julie
01-29-2006, 06:58 PM
Yup. You do it at the end of the first round of each new color.

Angelia
01-30-2006, 01:01 AM
Sorry I didn't answer that, Lisa...I've stopped getting notifications for this thread! Weird...this post should fix it! ;)

Andrea
02-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Poor Tubey needs a bump!!

Did everyone give up on this? :( I'm still trucking along, but here is a question for you: the pattern has the increase row after the stripes, are you supposed to increase every row til the end? Is that why it's so "belled"? I just did one increase row, and I like it. Let me show a progress pic...

I'm just going to do the stripes on the sleeves and I'll leave the body all brown

aprildavis99
02-04-2006, 01:59 AM
The pattrern shows only one increase row. So I think you did it right and it looks great. I am not doing the belled thing though. I'm ribbing the ends of my sleeves for a slightly tapered looked.

I'm also just truckin' along. I have been sick on and off and working a lot so I haven't worked on it in a couple of days. I am finished with one sleeve, 1/4 done with the 2nd sleeve and about to start the stripes on the body. I keep changing what part I'm working on so I don't get bored. I can't wait until I'm finished so I can try it on. My color choices are turning out to be very funky put all together...I love it!! I so wish I had a camera to show you all what it looks like.

Angelia
02-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Your sleeve looks great, Andrea! :inlove: And yeah, it's just one increase row. It bells quite a lot with only 5 increases; I was surprised.

I wish we could see yours, April! Glad to know you're enjoying knitting it and that you love the funky colors!! Which ones did you use?

Julie
02-04-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm still plugging away.....I'm really hoping to finish before the knitting olympics, but nw I'm not so sure if I'm going to swing it. :doh:

andshewas
02-04-2006, 01:18 PM
i finished mine yesterday and it's SO BIG.

I'll try to post photos later today or tomorrow.

I'm not sure that i should've followed that advice about the across-the-back measurements. All my measurements said 'small' except that one, which was closer to medium, so i made a medium... and i'm swimming in it. there are big 'tufts' of extra fabric behind my armpits and my lower back.

It fits a friend of mine really well though! so i may have to give this one away and start another!

i didn't find it monotonous at all. andean silk may be my new favorite yarn.

Andrea
02-04-2006, 11:10 PM
I can't wait to see pictures from everyone!! I suspect I will get a lot done on mine this coming week... :cheering:

Jeep_Girl
02-04-2006, 11:49 PM
I can't wait to see pictures from everyone!! I suspect I will get a lot done on mine this coming week... :cheering:

Your Tubey looks great so far! I have to do my swatch again - I'm so :oops: That I haven't even started mine.

nanonette
02-05-2006, 12:38 AM
That's OK, Lisa, I'm still working on the back piece . . . ;) And I love how you've noted Tubey Swatch for your OTN. :eyebrow:

aprildavis99
02-05-2006, 03:06 AM
Now I'm scared. I made mine a bit bigger than what I thought it should be also. I hope it fits. :shock:

Jeep_Girl
02-05-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks for saying that Nanonette! That makes me feel better!

candicane
02-06-2006, 09:37 AM
I finally feel like I am making some progress. After finishing the shrug portion, I could not "find" 80 stitches in the back to pick up to start the body. I frogged an entire arm, increased the back to 20 inches instead of 19 and finally found 80 stitches. Reknit the arm. It was snug before, so I don't think the extra inch will be a problem. I am about 3 inches into the ribbing and I really like the way it looks. I really hope it fits! I so want to finish this sweater so I can start the mohair Rebecca wrap that someone posted last week.

Candice

Angelia
02-06-2006, 09:43 AM
Sounds great, Candice! I can't wait to see it! :happydance:

Andrea
02-06-2006, 10:04 AM
I think mine will be a little baggy...I'm just about done with one arm...

kittyscorner
02-06-2006, 01:01 PM
After many weeks of knitting like mad, the ultraly cool and sexy Tubey is finally done this weekend.

Let me start by saying that it was a very easy and fun pattern, I loved the way how the stripes come out. Next time I will use a different yarn perhaps a solid Tubey with no stripes

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool-Ease, main color: black, stripes: red, gray, camel, brown, teal
Needle Size: US 5

I made slight modifications, more info on my blog: http://kittyscorner.com

http://static.flickr.com/25/96182904_ed8769e21a_o.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/31/96182905_7a40e0bd4d_o.jpg

candicane
02-06-2006, 01:09 PM
It looks great! I like the colors!

I am guessing I should be done around Easter at the rate I knit. I also did a small back and am working on the XS body. If you don't mind me asking... what size do you normally wear? I am so worried that my first sweater will be a disaster. My row gauge is obviously off since a back of 19 inches did not leave me with 80 stitches to pick up. The arm width fits me nicely though.

I am going to knit a couple more rows of body and then very carefully try it on. If that is even possible with the needle still in there.

candice

Julie
02-06-2006, 01:20 PM
It looks fab Kitty!! :cheering:

kittyscorner
02-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks Candicane and Julie for your compliments :)

Candicane - I normally wear a small or medium depending on the cut. The stretchiness of this pattern is very forgiving, so I think you should be ok. I would have knit this one in XS but because of the armpit to armpit measurement I went with a small back/shrug lol.

To try it on (if you are using interchangable needles) connect all the cables together and try it on, or move the stitches to a scrap yarn.

Have fun!

Kitty :)

If you don't mind me asking... what size do you normally wear? I am so worried that my first sweater will be a disaster. My row gauge is obviously off since a back of 19 inches did not leave me with 80 stitches to pick up. The arm width fits me nicely though.
candice

Angelia
02-06-2006, 02:17 PM
Oh, wow, that looks great on you! And it is super sexy!! :thumbsup:

andshewas
02-06-2006, 04:15 PM
Kitty - those colors are AWESOME!

I think i'm gonna follow your lead and do a small shrug and x-small body on my next one - yes, i'm gonna do it again. woo hoo!

nanonette
02-06-2006, 08:25 PM
Kitty, your sweater is FABULOUS!! Love the colors!!! :cheering:

Andrea
02-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Great job Kitty!!!

I keep trying on my first sleeve and it's sooo baggy! I don't think I should have done the M :?

Angelia
02-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Knit a tight body (an S or even an XS), and those sleeves will look really neat, I think!

Andrea
02-06-2006, 10:38 PM
I was thinking of doing that...my only problem is my belly :( My arms are skinny, it's the belly that's not quite skinny. BUT the ribbing will stretch I suppose.... :thinking:

Angelia
02-06-2006, 10:53 PM
The ribbing will stretch, plus, it helps create the illusion of skinniness--all those vertical lines! My belly pooches, but it's never obvious in the ribbed sweaters I wear, and I wear a LOT of them!

Jeep_Girl
02-06-2006, 11:16 PM
Kitty - LOVE YOUR SWEATER!!

Ok I'm confused now. I normally wear smalls (occasionally medium) I'm petite but I've got a big chest (36) and my cross back is coming out at 22ish - I'm not sure my husband is measuring it right at all. Now I don't know what size to knit. Maybe it is an omen to choose something else? :??

Andrea
02-07-2006, 01:09 AM
Well, I think a small would work for you (even with your big knockers!) :eyebrow: The ribbing will stretch...I did medium sleeves, but I might do a small body b/c I'm really afraid of it being too big/bunchy

And I'll post my 1st sleeve here as well...

AmandaC
02-07-2006, 10:22 AM
Oh My God! what have I done ... i have just ordered the wool for this sweater :shock:

I hope I am upto it - well, I may have to get my Mum to help me out abit if I get stuck.

I have ordered the same colours that are in the pattern and I can't wait.

Just waiting for the delivery now!

Angelia
02-07-2006, 12:20 PM
You can do it, Amanda! :thumbsup:

Plus, since several people have completed it, you have the benefit of their wisdom!

Julie
02-07-2006, 06:12 PM
It's really very simple...just kind of monotonous!

I'm 9" into the body...11" to go! :cheering:

Angelia
02-07-2006, 06:49 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Jeep_Girl
02-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Well, I think a small would work for you (even with your big knockers!) :eyebrow: The ribbing will stretch...I did medium sleeves, but I might do a small body b/c I'm really afraid of it being too big/bunchy

And I'll post my 1st sleeve here as well...

I guess I'm nervous because of the cross back thing.... :thinking:

Your sleeve looks GREAT!!!! You must feel wonderful about getting it done so well!

nanonette
02-08-2006, 12:46 AM
Woo Hoo for the sleeve, Andrea!! :thumbsup: It's looking great!

Julie said

just kind of monotonous! ;)

I thought it would make it easy to knit lots of stockinette, but since I've completed a couple of other small projects while trying to knit this sweater, I realize that although it's easy, it's really boring! I'm STILL working on the first 19 inches for the shrug. And it's actually driven me to spend the last two days considering lace for one of my next projects.

Can't believe I'm a newbie knitter and already getting lots of projects lined up before I finish my current one.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-10-2006, 10:16 PM
kitty the sweater is great!

I finished the sleeve. It seems like the "hole" in the sleeve is like RIGHT at my armpit... does this mean the body is going to be in my armpit too???? I don't want that little blob of armpit fat that my bra strap makes poking out of my sweater.... :shock:

AmandaC
02-14-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi

I started this on Sunday and I've got to the bit that says '... until work measures 19inches ending with a ws row'. This I assume means ending in a wrong side row (purl). Question is ... do I start and finish this ws row meaning the next row is a rs (knit) OR do I not start it and continue with the instructions (knit next row onto dpn's) which would mean knitting on a purl row?? :??

Thanks
Amanda

Julie
02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Complete the WS row. You'll be knitting onto DPNs on a RS row, then knitting, and knitting, aaaaand knitting, aaaand knitting.... ;)

Angelia
02-14-2006, 05:50 PM
Yep, b/c if you end on a right-side row, the sleeves will be all purl stitches.

AmandaC
02-14-2006, 05:51 PM
ok thanks .... now ... :?? I have got the next row onto the dpn's ... how do I join? currently it is still a straight piece on 3 needles and it is not round. And if I am only going to be 'knit' ing now does the right side need to be on the inside or outside. :thinking:

am quite confused and trying to figure it out myself but not being successful. :(

Angelia
02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Once you've knit the last stitch onto the last dpn, then knit the next stitch on the next dpn and you're joined! Now you're knitting "in the round" with all knit stitches. If you're worried you'll knit inside out, you could put a safety pin on the right side to keep you oriented.

nanonette
02-14-2006, 06:45 PM
I have to admit I must have restarted my join AT LEAST 10 times! Finally got it and got past the stripes.

Only last night I realized that I had added a stitch (I decided not to add any increases to the sleeve) about 2 inches below where I'm currently at. I really should leave it, but the perfectionist (aka anal retentive) part of me is completely bugged by it. If I have time tonight I'm frogging down to the increase and starting over again. Of course, if I don't like how the sleeve turns out w/o the increases I'll have to rip it all out again.

:sigh: The joys of knitting.

AmandaC
02-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Ha-ha, got it! :happydance:

must say these dpn's aren't fiddly at all are they :shock: Oh well, I'm sure they will get better with practice.

Thanks everyone.

Angelia
02-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I also ended up with an extra stitch; I'm too lazy to frog, so it's staying! ;)

And yes, dpns get easier to work with as you go, particularly when the in-the-round piece gets bigger; they don't flop about as much.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
I finished the sleeve. It seems like the "hole" in the sleeve is like RIGHT at my armpit... does this mean the body is going to be in my armpit too???? I don't want that little blob of armpit fat that my bra strap makes poking out of my sweater.... :shock:

Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? Bueller?

Angelia
02-14-2006, 10:59 PM
Poor Hildie! :heart: :heart:

I've only done one sleeve, so I can't really tell where the second one is going to hit...are you worried that the sweater will ride up into your armpit, thus revealing what, on my body, I refer to as my second pair of boobs?

candicane
02-15-2006, 10:40 AM
7 inches left to go on the body! I did not do stripes on the body, and I am a little tired of looking at the cinnamon.

Candice

CateKnits
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
I'm not sure, Hildie...I still haven't finished picking up for the body (for the 8th or so time :rollseyes: ). I told Andrea when she gets to that part, I'll pick it up again. :D I'm kind of sorry I started it again, though, because today would have been a PERFECT day to wear it as a shrug (again! :roflhard: ).

Andrea
02-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Candi, can't wait to see it since my body is all cinnamon as well!!
And Cate, you still have awhile to wait, I actually worked on it at my guild meeting last night, but I'm not even to the 1st stripe on my 2nd sleeve

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
well, I read through the pattern again, and it says if the neckline is too loose just to sew the opening together a bit. I guess it will be a trial by fire!

I decided that I didn't like the bell of the sleeve... the fabric was just too stiff and it looked wierd. SOOoooooo I ripped out a bunch, all the way back to before the stripes, since I also decided I didn't like the honey merino style with the brown and two greens. SO I changed the honey to rhubarb, and it looks really cool! After the stripes I went down a needle size and started decreasing instead of increasing, just at the join part so it wound' tbe noticible on the arm, and I like how it's going a LOT better.

someday I'll post a picture. Thanks for everyone's help!

aprildavis99
02-16-2006, 03:12 AM
So I am done with the sleeves. I started decreasing 2 sts at the beginning of the stripes and every about 8 rounds or so 7 times so I decreased a total of 14 sts. And I did about 12 rows of the 3x1 ribbing at the end of the sleeve. Much better, IMO, than the flared sleeves. I am on my 3rd stripe on the body now. Yay! I have been reading more lately and not knitting as much so my progress is suddenly slowed. I am almost done with this book, though, so I will get back to my Tubey in a couple of days. :happydance:

BTW, I am reading The Curious Incident fo the Dog in the Night-time. I just started, but I like it so far. :D

volmel
02-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Hilde, I do remember there being a little hole in the armpit area and thinking, hmm, that's strange. I remember when I did some weaving or something, I just wove it closed. I don't remember it ending up as being a problem. So I think if you just continue on, you can close that up at the end.

Mel

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-18-2006, 12:59 AM
april I added some ribbing at the bottom too, and I make my sleeves 3/4 instead of full legnth. I figure by the time it's FINISHED it will be too warm to wear it very long with full sleeves .

Thanks for that, Mel; That's what I was thinking about doing, but I thoughtit migh tlook dumb. Glad you're doing it too :-)

Here;s a pic of one sleeve. I'm posting more here the watcha knittin forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=120560#120560).

nanonette
02-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Love your length & your colors!! I was debating about 3/4 length, and I think you've helped me decide to go for it, esp. after you pointed out how warm the sweater is going to be! ;) Thank you! :thumbsup:

aprildavis99
02-18-2006, 09:15 PM
Hildie, it looks great. I am making regular length sleeves, but I may make another one...solid with the 3/4. I love your colors too. :heart:

mishka
02-19-2006, 05:26 PM
Looking good guys. Just a note to say Tubey is still on the needles, but I've not been picking it up that often, busy studying, working etc etc.

Will get a pic. up once I've finished both arms.

Chelle.

Andrea
02-21-2006, 04:41 AM
How's everyone doing? I picked up Tubey today (I've been neglecting it for Einstein)...I just finished the last stripe on my second sleeve, so I should be starting the body soon :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

AmandaC
02-21-2006, 05:47 AM
Hi,

I finished the sleeves last night so tonight after work I will be rushing home to try this 'picking up stitches' palaver. :shock:

Hope it's not as hard as I think it could be ... after reading everyone else's posts about the subject.

nanonette
02-21-2006, 11:16 AM
I spent the last two evenings picking up stitches, then starting over again, all the time wondering why I kept knitting on the wrong side. Then I thought :doh: read the directions! And I finally realized that I was starting on the wrong "left" side. :rollseyes: :wall:
So I FINALLY started knitting the body last night.
However, the joins between the front of the sweater and the back of the sweater don't look very nice. I really, really DO NOT want to start over again. Think I'm just going to have to hope that I can stitch them up a little when I'm done. :pray:
Also, the pattern said pick up and knit, and I just picked up all the stitches and then knitted them all in a row. I didn't really know what else I was supposed to do.

AmandaC
02-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Well ... I have picked up all the stitches FIRST TIME!!! but I am not sure if I happy with the original CO stitches as it looks a bit messy and this is going to be the top of the body (I think, unless I am really confused). But I don't want to have to go back and pick up all the stitches again so will knit a couple more rounds and have another look :thinking: I don't think I did the CO tight enough - but then it was really hard to do the next row cos they felt really tight .... guess this will get easier with practice. ho hum.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-21-2006, 09:38 PM
:shock: crap, I don't need any more challenges. :shock:

maybe i'll just leave it a shrug :thinking:

CateKnits
02-21-2006, 09:48 PM
I might leave mine a shrug. :rollseyes: I wore it as a shrug one day. It's still warm!

candicane
02-22-2006, 03:00 PM
My first sweater is actually finished! And it fits! I made an XS with a 20 inch back piece instead of 19 inches. Straight arm instead of belled. Yarn is KP Andean Silk. It was sunny and I could barely keep my eyes open. Close up of the wrist because I wanted to show off my new bracelet... also a recent finished object. I am wearing a top under it since I never know what the office temperature will be.

Now that my ego has been way inflated by this project, I am going to try the Rebecca Wrap with Sleeves.

Candice

Jillle
02-22-2006, 04:58 PM
Wow, that looks great! Fantastic job!!! :cheering: (Love your bracelet too. :heart: )

Julie
02-22-2006, 05:58 PM
Candice, it looks fabulous! I bet it's sooo soft! :D

Now Hildie and Cate.... :fingerwag: if you put your mind to it, it's not that complex. Divide the length where you need to pick up stitches into fourths and mark them, then pick up the stitches 1/4 at a time. And remember, since you slipped stitches at the end of the rows, what looks like one row is really two. So if you pick up one stitch for every two rows, you'll be royally screwed. :doh:

CateKnits
02-22-2006, 06:04 PM
I did do it successfully, Julie, but I hated the way my cast on bit looked, so I had to rip it and try another cast on. I haven't felt like picking up the stitches again yet. :rollseyes:

nanonette
02-22-2006, 06:22 PM
Beautiful sweater, Candice!! Love the solid color with the colored banding on the sleeves! It fits perfectly and looks fabulous!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-22-2006, 10:14 PM
So if you pick up one stitch for every two rows, you'll be royally screwed. :doh:

uhm, so what should we do instead? :wall:

aprildavis99
02-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Candice, that looks great. Now I am definitely going to make a 2nd one in a solid color. :heart:

Angelia
02-22-2006, 10:28 PM
Beautiful Candice!! I love the color! :thumbsup:

AmandaC
02-23-2006, 04:49 AM
That looks really lovely - hope mine turns out as good! :cheering:

Andrea
02-23-2006, 10:08 AM
So if you pick up one stitch for every two rows, you'll be royally screwed. :doh:

uhm, so what should we do instead? :wall:

Yes, Julie, now you got me worried :shock:

And Candice--absolutely GORGEOUS! :inlove: :thumbsup: I can't wait to finish this!!! :cheering:

nanonette
02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
About picking up the stitches I had to pick up an extra one (in between the obvious hole to pick up stitches) every 7 or so. Of course, I rather had mine down to a science because I kept starting it over so often. :rollseyes:

Andrea
02-25-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm about 10 rounds away from finishing the 2nd sleeve!!! Should finish it tonight after I wake up! :cheering:

Angelia
02-25-2006, 11:16 AM
YAY Andrea!!! :happydance:

I ordered some small stretchy circs that I hope will help speed up the second sleeve. The dpns, which I haven't had problems with before, are absolutely killing my hands, and that's the main reason I stopped working on it.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-25-2006, 01:07 PM
ooo how do you like the stretchies????

Andrea, I read your post as "it should be finishd tonight when i wake up" at first... I was like "COOL! Magic knitting! I want that!!!" :-)

Angelia
02-25-2006, 01:16 PM
They're not here yet. :( :( :(

I think they'll get here on Tuesday--I'll definitely file a report!!

Andrea
02-25-2006, 07:14 PM
ooo how do you like the stretchies????

Andrea, I read your post as "it should be finishd tonight when i wake up" at first... I was like "COOL! Magic knitting! I want that!!!" :-)

Hahaha Yes, I have awoken, but the knitting fairies have not finished my sleeve :mad: I guess I'll have to do it myself!!

Angelia, are you going to do the magic loop with your sleeve?

Angelia
02-25-2006, 11:29 PM
I've ordered an 8" stretchy circ, so I'm going to try it first. If that doesn't work, then I'll definitely give ML a go!

Julie
02-26-2006, 03:25 PM
What size are you making? I'm doing the M and fit my sleeve stitches on a 16" circ, no problem. :thumbsup:

Angelia
02-26-2006, 04:05 PM
Are you serious? I'm doing an M too...maybe I'll just try that 16"!!

Thanks, Julie! :heart:

Andrea
02-26-2006, 08:15 PM
Sleeves=DONE

Excuse my bra outline :rollseyes: I was more concerned that my bed head wasn't in the picture!

Angelia
02-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Woo Hoo!!! :happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

It looks great! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-26-2006, 08:41 PM
That is so pretty, Andrea! Great job on it! I wish I could wear something like that!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Andrea it's fabulous!!!!

My sleeves are done too! I tried it on, and it fits great! Unfortunately I was NOT wearing a bra, so I didn't want to take a picture :-) I want ya'll to go "Wow those sleeves look great, Hildie!" not "Holy crap you have big boobs!"

I have a concert tomorrow night, and then Tuesday night I have to pack because I'm going on a mini vacation to see family, and my plane leaves at 6am (leaving the house at 2am!) So i might not get to post a pic soon. I am hoping to spend a lot of time knitting while on vacation... but i have to get the body pary done BEFORE i go so I'm not messing around on the airplane, I can just KNIT. :cheering:

Angelia
02-26-2006, 11:45 PM
Good luck getting the sweater travel-ready, and I hope you have a safe flight and a nice visit!! :heart: :heart:

nanonette
02-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Beautiful job, Andrea!!!

Good luck, Hildie!

candicane
02-27-2006, 09:59 AM
I used a 12" Addi Turbo on XS sleeves and it worked out great.

Hildy, nice job! Picking up the stitches for the body was the hardest part for me. I did it at my parents house, they have a really nice long countertop that I could spread it out on. (As opposed to doing it on my coffee table which was frustrating.)

Candice

AmandaC
02-27-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm really impressed with my results so far (seeing as I have only been knitting a month!) - if you look at the original pattern, I am at the top of the bottom teal stripe - so half way ish down the body - hopefully I will finish by the weekend and if I like it enough I will wear it out on the 10th March for my birthday celebrations YAY!

This is very exciting :D don't know if I will knit in black again tho cos I find it hard to see the stitches compared to the colours.

Andrea
02-27-2006, 10:49 AM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: Progress pics???

Andrea
02-27-2006, 04:21 PM
Anyone else's ribbing start off kinda weird looking? Ugh, mine looks BAD so far. I hope it gets better...it especially looks bad on the part where I cast on in the beginning before I started picking up stitches. :rollseyes:

AmandaC
02-27-2006, 04:23 PM
Ok - progress piccies ... I thought I was further along than I actually am - 5 more rows of aubergine before the teal!
:XX:

AmandaC
02-27-2006, 04:26 PM
Yeah - I'm not keen on the top of the body - would help if I casted on properly! Just realised the other day that what I thought was casting on thumb method was only half the job ... wondering if when I finish if I can go back and put the top bit back on the needles and then CO to make it look a bit better ... :??

AmandaC
02-27-2006, 04:27 PM
That meant Cast Off the top - not cast on ... should have put BO instead of CO :doh:

Andrea
02-27-2006, 04:43 PM
:roflhard:

Your sweater looks BEAUTIFUL!! :inlove: I think my ribbing just looks worse on the CO part because I've only done a couple rounds so far. Hopefully it'll get better. What yarn are you using? KP Merino? It looks really soft!

AmandaC
02-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm using the Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran as in the pattern ... I'm not brave enough to substitute yarns yet - still find it funny to call it 'yarn' when I've always called it 'wool' whatever the content!

I think once I have been knitting abit longer and have more experience with different yarns I will be able to swap about abit.

The top does get better the further down you get ... well in my opinion!

nanonette
02-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Beautiful work, Amanda!!! :cheering: Thanks for the progress pics!

Julie
02-27-2006, 09:02 PM
That looks fab! :cheering:

I tried my Tubey-in-progress on its recipient today and it fits :cheering: though it's a little bunchy in back like I had feared. :rollseyes: Anyoen else have this problem (shrug-bunching)? If you pull it down so as not to bunch, the back is way longer than the front.

ratkin412
02-27-2006, 09:05 PM
:cheering:
I have completed my Tubey...
I started Jan 2 and finished Feb 26th, using 5 balls of Lionbrand Microspun in Black, size 5 circs.
Here are my comments:

I made the extra small size and getting a tighter gauge than reccommended. (5.5-5.75 SPI). I knit the sleeves back and forth, instead of switching to the tube - I did that so that my gauge wouldn't get tighter as I knit circularly. I knit one skein of microspun, threaded a lifeline/marker and knit the second skein. The lifeline maker became the center back. I sewed up the sleeves and picked up for the body. I did not start with the cast on front part as per the instructions... instead, I picked up the back and ended with the Cast On part (I did an invisible cast on so that I did not have to commit to a cast on edge). I also knit little short row gussets in the underarm area - probably not a great idea, but my shrug was really tight. (the gussets have ended up sticking out like little pillows - echh!) I did the 3-1 ribbing for the body. I added short rows in the belly, since my Tubey is Modest and high necked (which pulls up the front quite a bit). Cast off the bottom using the needle sewn cast off. Picked up the sleeves and did 3-1 ribbing for about 5 inches per sleeve (I did them both at the same time on one circ needle). I had to rip out and add big triangular gussets to make the arms fit. My next Tubey will have short rows in the shoulders, and a 'chest flap' so as not to strain the shrug and front of the body into joining. I still could use a little more room at the front join - its very tight due to the high 'neckline'. I love the cleverness of the pattern although I really just used it as a guideline. This was a challenging project for me. I am pleased with the look, though. Please see for yourself:

nanonette
02-27-2006, 09:52 PM
The fit in your sweater is fabulous, ratkin412!! :thumbsup: I wish I would have made more adjustments because I'm not entirely sold on the fit of mine either. But since it was my first sweater I will chalk it up to a learning experience.

As for the bunching, Julie, I've seen some Tubeys online and it looks like a rather common problem. I'm rather worried mine is going to bunch, too. I think there should have been more ease built into the shrug or something. Or probably it needs all those things ratkin412 modified that I don't completely understand yet.

Andrea
02-28-2006, 12:56 AM
Looks great, ratkin!! I :heart: it!

Amanda, are you doing the body in stockinette??

AmandaC
02-28-2006, 05:16 AM
No the body is rib ... I guess it will stretch to look like rib when I put it on ;)

aprildavis99
02-28-2006, 05:28 AM
everyone's pics look great. I am midway through the body now. Sorry still no camera here. I am so bummed! I was going to use my tax return to buy one, but lo and behold! All of my return is going to back child support that DH racked up before we met. :crying: Oh well! At least I still have my yarn allowance. The IRS is NOT taking that from me! :eyebrow:

Andrea
02-28-2006, 09:31 AM
My ribbing's looking a little better, so I'm a little happier...I can't wait to finish this, but I've only gotten 1 inch into it :D

Angelia
02-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Ratkin, your Tubey is beautiful!!

Amanda, your progress is lovely--I love the colors you're using!

Andrea--in my experience, ribbing always looks like crap until you're a few inches in. How you cast on, I think, does make a difference.

I wish I'd known so many of you have been using larger circs for the sleeves--I'd have tried that long ago. My 8" stretchies should get here today, though...I'll post a report on them!

Andrea
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Ratkin, I don't want to scare you, but I was looking at this thread and my DH walked over, saw your picture, and said "Who's that? She's hot!" :D

jamadian75
02-28-2006, 02:40 PM
After seeing the great progress and FO's on this forum about Tubey, I have to say I'm in awe, and a little shy to start it now. I got very excited when i first saw it on Knitty, but after reading some of the adjustments and issues that knitters here have faced, I'm not sure this is at my level (enthusiastic beginner). :??

I already bought 11 balls of Jaeger MatchMaker yarn to make it...is anyone else having second thoughts?? Or can someone who has started give me hope that I can get through the stress of bunchy back rows, unsatisfactory cast ons and strange sleeve mutations?

Forgive my newbie paranoia...just wondering if I should be brave and forge ahead with the CO or try another challenging sustitute. :(

candicane
02-28-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't be paranoid. And just think you have so much more knowledge since we have aleady made mistakes for you!

Tubey was my first sweater and I am very pleased with it. I only made minor modifications and I think it fits very nicely. From your list of "what you are knitting" I don't think you'll have any problems!

Candice

Angelia
02-28-2006, 03:33 PM
Ratkin, I don't want to scare you, but I was looking at this thread and my DH walked over, saw your picture, and said "Who's that? She's hot!" :D

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

CHRIS! For shame! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, don't be afraid of Tubey! As far as sweaters go, it's really not that hard. It just needs tweaking because, well, we're not all shaped like the designer! ;)

And Candace is right--the aches and pains listed here should help you, but by no means should they scare you away.

Go for it! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, in a small apartment in Alabama, I anxiously await my stretchy wee circs. I don't know why I've pinned all of my happiness on knitting needles!

Andrea
02-28-2006, 04:11 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

CHRIS! For shame! :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

:rollseyes: I know...
And what are you using your circs for again? Are they for future sleeves?

Angelia
02-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Yes! DPNs have been killing my hands lately, so I thought I'd try these wee things.

Andrea
02-28-2006, 04:22 PM
You just have one sleeve down so far then? I can't remember we have too many projects going on I can't keep up!!!

A circ would've been NICE for the sleeves! The DPNS were a PITA! :mad:

Angelia
02-28-2006, 05:15 PM
:rofling: :rofling:

I have a hard time keeping track myself!

Yeah, I only got one sleeve done on Tubey. It and the Einstein are all I have going right now! Well that is unsatisfactory!!... :thinking:

I want my circs. Where IS the UPS man???! :mad:

Angelia
03-01-2006, 08:32 AM
The circs arrived at 8 p.m.--our UPS man works late!

So far I like them! They are very wee and will take some getting used to, but wow are they an improvement over dpns! I don't know that they'd work well for all parts of sock knitting--the heel flap and turn and all that--but I do think they'll save me while knitting sweater sleeves and other wee round things. :happydance: :happydance:

Andrea
03-01-2006, 08:32 PM
Where did you order them? They sound fun!

Angelia
03-01-2006, 09:59 PM
I got them from Halcyon Yarns. Here's (http://www.halcyonyarn.com/knitandcrochet/knitneedles.html) the page; just scroll to the bottom. The only drawback to these needles is that they are plastic. I've never knit with plastic needles, so that's taking some getting used to!

CateKnits
03-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I'm attempting to pick up for the body again. :rollseyes: It's not a good project right now. I'm SO FRUSTRATED :mad: . I think I hate black yarn.

Angelia
03-01-2006, 10:06 PM
You have to sit in pretty good light, huh? Sorry it's giving you trouble! Pick up something else to knit for awhile--knit Tubey in daylight ;)

CateKnits
03-01-2006, 10:23 PM
I THINK I got it. I'll need to knit another couple of rounds to be sure it looks okay. And it's going to end up being a slightly smaller than extra small body on my small sleeves/back. :rollseyes: It's ribbing, so it'll be okay. I almost made the extra small, anyway.

Angelia
03-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Yay for you, Cate!! :happydance:

It is frustrating, though, to have to knit several rows into something to figure out if it looks decent! :mad:

CateKnits
03-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I think it's going to be okay. The back looks a little funky because I frogged so many times when I was picking up stitches that it got all loose. But I think this is the best it's going to get and the cast on part looks MUCH better than last time. I think I'm going to stick with it!

Angelia
03-01-2006, 10:42 PM
Good! :thumbsup:

And I'll bet those stretched stitches will return to normal when you block the sweater.

CateKnits
03-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Oh..you mean I have to block? :shock: :oo:
I've never blocked anything big before. I'm skeered. Of course, at this rate, with only four rows on the body in March, I don't think I'll have to worry about wearing this thing until next Winter. :rollseyes:

Angelia
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

That's when I'll be wearing mine! We can set a date and wear them both the same day! :happydance: :happydance: Seriously!

I've never blocked either, but I don't think it's too hard....I don't know that for a fact though... :??

I know! We can ask Ingy--she knows everything. And she has her own holy blocking water that she just might share if we pay her in Karaoke!

CateKnits
03-01-2006, 10:52 PM
Awesome ideas!

Andrea
03-01-2006, 11:04 PM
I've never blocked either. Cate, I'm so proud that you are starting it again! You are true to your word!! :D

I think I'll be sad when I finish this one. That doesn't mean I want to knit another though! :rofling:

Angelia
03-01-2006, 11:08 PM
I love the style, but I'm not keen on how it's knit...I want my next sweater to be knit all in the round! :happydance:

Andrea
03-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Have you seen those Knitting Pure and Simple patterns? I have the hooded sweater one. Supposedly that's all in the round top down. That's the sweater where I might get the yarn from either of those websites you chose from for your Einstein :inlove:

CateKnits
03-01-2006, 11:17 PM
I hope this doesn't look like crap when I wear it. When the ribbing is stretched at all, it's see-through. :shock: I suppose it's a good thing that I own at least four black tank tops. :roflhard:

Angelia
03-01-2006, 11:23 PM
I have looked at those patterns, Andrea, and love them! I have some patterns in EZ's books and in The Sweater Workshop. I'll have to tweak them a bit to achieve the look I want, but I think I can do that okay...maybe. Elann has some beautiful yarns, even more than when I originally ordered the Wonderwool! You can find some tasty stuff easily!

And Cate, I have worried about how sheer that ribbing might be! I guess I'll be wearing my black tanks too...fortunately I have one with the straps set really wide so that hopefully they won't show!

nanonette
03-01-2006, 11:45 PM
Way to go, Cate!!

I can't wait to see everyone's finished sweaters. I've included a progress pic below, although I'm a little embarrassed about all the ends I have yet to weave in.

I'm having to take a break from mine to knit a quick scarf for my sister before her trip to Asia in a couple weeks.

Angelia said:
I want my next sweater to be knit all in the round! Happy Dance

I chuckled when I read this because one of the things that sold me on Tubey was that it was supposed to have minimal finshing because it was "knit in the round." I agree though - picking up the stitches and all the other stuff has made it a bit of a PITA at times. And I can't say I'll want to knit another Tubey.

Angelia
03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
That looks great, Nannette!! I love the colors! You're pretty much done, aren't you? Yippee!! :happydance:

The shrug bit on the Tubey is the problem for me. I love the general design, though!

CateKnits
03-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Nice, Nanonette! You'll be done in no time.

Angelia, I loved the shrug so much that I'm almost halfway finished with a similar one in Wool-Ease. I'm knitting end to end, though, instead of using a provisional cast on. Oh, and I'm knitting a little border of garter stitch across the bottom to keep the back from rolling. And there are no stripes.

Julie
03-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Nannette, that looks fabulous! I love the colors!! :inlove:

AmandaC
03-02-2006, 04:58 AM
That looks great Nanonette - how come your ends are on the outside? Mine are on the inside? Have I done something wrong :thinking:

Anyway - just finished all the stripes and have done about 3 rounds of the black at the bottom so have about 2 inches to go :cheering: Hopefully I will finish it tonight! I can't wait to try it on ... hope it fits :rofling:

TTFN
Amanda

Andrea
03-02-2006, 05:26 AM
Great job Nanonette! Those colors look PURTY!
Hurry up, Amanda! I wanna see more pics!

Angelia, I loved the shrug so much that I'm almost halfway finished with a similar one in Wool-Ease. I'm knitting end to end, though, instead of using a provisional cast on. Oh, and I'm knitting a little border of garter stitch across the bottom to keep the back from rolling. And there are no stripes
Similar, huh? :roflhard: :roflhard:

AmandaC
03-02-2006, 05:58 AM
Ok Andrea :shock:

And how about yours :??

Andrea
03-02-2006, 06:01 AM
I'm working on it! But you're further on yours! :rofling: I will working hard on it tonight...I promise! :thumbsup:

AmandaC
03-02-2006, 06:04 AM
yay!

Oh BTW, Robbie announced a new concert yesterday ... unfortunately it's in Dubai :shock:

Oh again ... if you happen to be in London on 18th Sep this year, I currently have a spare concert ticket .... ;)

Andrea
03-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Is the rest of the concert sold out? I have his Knebworth (did I spell that right?) concert on DVD and CD...I cry when I watch it he's such an entertainer!!!

AmandaC
03-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Yep - they all sold out within 3 hours! Tis a world record apparently :cheering:

Knebworth - yay I was there! :cheering: couldn't see anything (cos I'm short!) and spent 4 hours in the carpark on leaving! :( Was that disappointed with it, my bro & I went to see him again in Lyon, France to make up for it ... he was GRRRRREEATT!

Oh and stayed the night in the same hotel ... sooooo technically (so my friend says) we slept together ! :blush:

Andrea
03-02-2006, 06:35 AM
Yep - they all sold out within 3 hours! Tis a world record apparently :cheering:

Knebworth - yay I was there! :cheering: couldn't see anything (cos I'm short!) and spent 4 hours in the carpark on leaving! :( Was that disappointed with it, my bro & I went to see him again in Lyon, France to make up for it ... he was GRRRRREEATT!

Oh and stayed the night in the same hotel ... sooooo technically (so my friend says) we slept together ! :blush:
(Insert fainting emoticon here)...I'm so jealous! Did you read his book? I ordered it off ebay when it came out and it was shipped from England because God forbid anyone has it in stores in the US! :mad:

Angelia
03-02-2006, 08:31 AM

Brilliant! That's my kind of thinking! ;)

CateKnits
03-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Similar, huh? :roflhard: :roflhard:
Yes! The cast on number is the same. :oo: Well, sort of...not really, since I started with the sleeve. Oh, hell, you Tubey knitters would see it and KNOW it came from Tubey, so it's Tubeyesque!

Angelia
03-02-2006, 11:20 AM

CateKnits
03-02-2006, 12:43 PM
My first knit stitch in my ribbing always looks crappy. Anyone know why that is? Oh well, at least it's consistant, right. :blush:

I've got about four inches done on the body! :cheering: I might have to take this home with me and finish it over break.

Angelia
03-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Mine looks that way too! I think it must be because it follows a purl and looks goofy. I don't know how to make those stitches look better.

Congrats on getting 4" done! Yes, take it home; the hard part is over now! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

knitqueen
03-02-2006, 01:03 PM
My first knit stitch in my ribbing always looks crappy. Anyone know why that is? Oh well, at least it's consistant, right. :blush:

I've got about four inches done on the body! :cheering: I might have to take this home with me and finish it over break.

Take a look at this blog:
http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2004/12/a_bit_of_braggi.html

She gives an alternate way to do ribbing in order to help with those saggy stitches where the purls and knits switch. It has helped me A LOT! :thumbsup:

CateKnits
03-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Knitqueen! I'll have to try that next time - I am NOT starting this thing over AGAIN. :shock:

Angelia
03-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Thanks KQ!! I like that Nona ;)

jelly
03-02-2006, 07:32 PM
stop me before i knit

i am totally obssessed with Tubey

depsite the fact that i know it would look horrible on me (i am 5'2", and wear about a size 14 top, and have a lovely double belly - yes, i look like an oompa loompa)

i have to stop reading this thread

AmandaC
03-02-2006, 07:37 PM

Just about to BO :cheering:

Andrea
03-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks, Knitqueen! I'll have to try that next time - I am NOT starting this thing over AGAIN. :shock:

I agree, I'm not starting again either. Bu I'll keep this in mind for futures. I hate my first row or 2. I thought it was because of my cast on method (knitted on), but maybe it's not.

Just about to BO
:cheering: :cheering: Can't wait to see it!!

AmandaC
03-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Finished ... but it is now 1.30 am so am going to :zzz:

Will try to take a photo in the morning to post...

night night

Angelia
03-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Congrats on finishing Amanda! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
I can't wait to see it!

I'm through the stripes on the second sleeve, and I'm hoping to finish it and get the body started today. Yippeee!! :happydance: :happydance:

I'm a bit bothered, though, that the stripes on the sleeves don't quite match up on mine. The no. of rows per color is the same, but my tension, I guess, is different. They begin in exactly the same spot, but one ends about an inch lower...I hope it's not noticeable when worn! :shock:

Andrea
03-03-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm sure it won't be noticeable. Except now that you mention it, we will :rofling:

nanonette
03-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Congrats on finishing, Amanda!!! :cheering: Can't wait to see photos.

That looks great Nanonette - how come your ends are on the outside? Mine are on the inside? Have I done something wrong :thinking:

I'm certain it's because I don't really know what I'm doing when I change colors. I was kind-of wondering about that, too. I'm hoping I can bring the ends to the back w/o too much problem.

Angelia, I agree with Andrea. I doubt anyone would notice unless you pointed it out. Of course, you could always walk with one arm hanging down longer. ;)

Andrea
03-03-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm certain it's because I don't really know what I'm doing when I change colors. I was kind-of wondering about that, too. I'm hoping I can bring the ends to the back w/o too much problem.

I bet you can just pull them through carefully to the inside then weave them in

Angelia
03-03-2006, 08:31 AM
I'm sure it won't be noticeable. Except now that you mention it, we will :rofling:

Yeah, I'll just do what Nanonette suggests and hang one arm lower than the other--I'm already freaky, so I doubt anyone would notice! ;)

AmandaC
03-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Okay - here we go - I've been waiting for my boss to go for lunch so that I could get these taken.

Not too bad for my first sweater attempt if I do say so myself! :thinking:
I knitted in Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran.

mishka
03-03-2006, 08:47 AM
Amanda, that looks brill!! Well done.

I'd better get :XX: and :XX:

lol

Angelia
03-03-2006, 08:55 AM
That looks just gorgeous, Amanda!! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

And yes, a fantastic job for a first sweater--I hope mine looks as good!

Andrea
03-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Nice job Amanda!! It looks lovely! :cheering: :cheering: And what a great belt ;)

CateKnits
03-03-2006, 11:49 AM
:cheering: :cheering: That's AWESOME! I hope mine fits that well!

AmandaC
03-03-2006, 12:14 PM
I made the XS and haven't blocked it yet - I was too eager to wear it :D

I find myself looking at it and thinking WOW! I made that from nothing ... similar feeling (but not as strong!) to when I look at my boys :D :rofling:

Angelia
03-03-2006, 04:40 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

It is really neat to think about every stitch, every shaping...you did that!!

knitqueen
03-03-2006, 05:36 PM
That's fantastic!! And I love how your neckline isn't super wide like it looks on the pattern photos on knitty. Looks great, way to go! :thumbsup:

nanonette
03-03-2006, 07:10 PM
What a fantastic sweater, Amanda!!! A perfect fit!! :cheering: :thumbsup:

aprildavis99
03-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Wow, Amanda. That's beautiful. Congratulations.

I'm still chugging along. Still about 1/2 way through with the body. Not very much time to knit lately. :rollseyes:

Angelia
03-04-2006, 09:09 AM
I finished the second sleeve last night and am two rows into the body. I picked up way too many stitches across the back, I think...I may end up frogging. But I'm not going to do anything until I knit a couple of inches in and can actuall tell what's going on.

Andrea
03-04-2006, 06:07 PM
I don't think I picked up the right amount. Either too little or too many, but I think I'll be ok. There's one section where I only have 2 k instead of 3 in the ribbing...not a big deal. I'm still only about 6 or 7 inches in...

CateKnits
03-04-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm doing a different stripe sequence than in the pattern, but I think I'm on my last solid block of black. Though it'll be about six inches worth of black, so I'm nowhere near finished :shock:
I'm taking a break. That seven inches in two days gave me slight Tubey burnout. I still plan to have it done before the end of March, and hopefully before I go back to school next week. I have a secret, dorky project to start when I get back and I want this to be out of the way. :twisted:

Angelia
03-05-2006, 09:47 AM
Oooh, a secret dorky project?! I'm very intrigued!!

I knit on Tubey most of yesterday and have about 6 or 7 inches of the body done. Only getting one round done every 15 minutes means slooooooow Tubey progress, I can tell you. :rollseyes: I won't get to work on it today, though, unless I get my work done early. Of course I could be working right now, but I'd much rather be here! :D

CateKnits
03-05-2006, 03:58 PM
You wanna know about the secret dorky project?
:oo:

I'm going to use the Knit Your Own Rockstar pattern from Stitch 'n' Bitch Nation to knit a Neitzsche! :roflhard: If it turns out well, I might give it to my philosophy professor. I think she'd be amused to see it, anyway. I can't wait to figure out how to knit his insane moustache! :roflhard:

Angelia
03-05-2006, 04:14 PM
[quote="CateKnits"]You wanna know about the secret dorky project?
:oo:

Oh, that is brilliant!! I cannot wait to see it! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Your prof will love it--I know I'd be tickled to get such a thing!

CateKnits
03-05-2006, 04:16 PM
:D I didn't think about it until I was driving home, so of course the book is still at school. :rollseyes: But I suppose that's good because the yarn I'm going to use for it is also at school and I need to stop making excuses to buy more.

Angelia
03-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Excuses come easily, don't they?! :shock:

You have a lot of knitting to keep you busy in the meantime. Besides, such a schooly project should be done at school. Knit something for yourself during your time off. You have all of that lovely yarn... :inlove:

Julie
03-05-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm going to finish this fracking Tubey today if it kills me. :shock:

Angelia
03-05-2006, 06:34 PM

I know exactly what you mean!

I am actually contemplating working on a Saxon braid just so I won't have to do k3p1 for hours...how sad is that, to opt for a line-by-line pattern over a mindless one?! :shock:

Julie
03-06-2006, 01:21 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/smilies/mad.gif

CateKnits
03-06-2006, 01:40 AM
Does that emoticon mean it killed you, or you didn't finish? :heart:
I've set Friday as my goal. :shock:

Andrea
03-06-2006, 03:59 AM
I put down Tubey momentarily because my NaStasha bag for my mom's birthday was yelling at me that I only have 1.5 weeks left! It makes me sad when I see the Tube sitting in my bag looking all disappointed. :(

AmandaC
03-06-2006, 04:46 AM
Keep going girls .... it's worth it in the end ;)

I want to see you :XX: :XX: :XX:

Angelia
03-06-2006, 08:02 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v486/j-m-h/smilies/mad.gif

Alas, I have grading to do all week and may not get much Tubey work done. (I'm giving two tests today. :( )Then again, the mindless ribbing might just be the break I need!

I do wish I knit the rounds a bit faster, though. 15 minutes is quite a long time for one round. The fact that I have twice the number of stitches I need is, perhaps, the problem. :rollseyes:

VickiIL
03-06-2006, 10:08 AM
Well my tubey isn't moving along quickly at all. I have completed the back and knit until the stripes on both sleeves this is where I am stalled. The problem is my stash of Merino style is too big (can you believe that is a problem???) Anyways I can't decide what colors to make my stripes. I always hate choosing colors! It is the hardest part for me.

Help me decide.

I have crocus, asparagus, cornflower, iris, hollyberry, moss, frost, nutmeg and cinnamon.

I have used coal (black) as the main color.

candicane
03-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Since I am procrastinating and I love to pick out colors, I diagramed my suggestions.

Candice

Julie
03-06-2006, 12:50 PM
Does that emoticon mean it killed you, or you didn't finish?

Didn't finish :rollseyes: :rollseyes: :rollseyes:

I have four rows to knit, then I can bind off. I'm not weaving the ends in, though, because there's this weird end-weaving curse that seems to follow me...if I weave, then there will be something wrong and I'll have to tear it all out. So until my bf tries it on tomorrow morning, no weaving!!!

AmandaC
03-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Candicane - I like the bottom left ...

Julie
03-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm done.

:happydance:

Angelia
03-06-2006, 08:34 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Yay Julie!!

Candice, I like the top left...

aprildavis99
03-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Candice, I like the top left

Angelia
03-06-2006, 10:24 PM
Yay April! We win! :rofling:

VickiIL
03-06-2006, 10:34 PM
I agree. I am definately going with the top left. Thanks Candice!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-06-2006, 10:39 PM
well I tried about 4 times to pick up and knit and somehow it ended up wrong (differently wrong) each time :wall: :wall: :wall:

SOoooooooo I cast on the number of stitches I'm supposed to have and started knitting fromt he bottom up. I guess i'll figure out how to attach them later........ :thinking:

Angelia
03-06-2006, 10:42 PM
That's not a bad idea, Hildie! Sorry it gave you so much trouble, though.

I had problems, too. I didn't know what to do with the picking-up-stitches bit; I kept getting holey spots. So, I have what must be at least double the number of stitches I should have...mainly in the back. So the front will be see through and the back like a brick wall :D

Andrea
03-07-2006, 12:16 AM
Here's my Tubey progress...almost 1/2 way to go!!

And Vicki, I like the top left too!!! That's going to look great!

AmandaC
03-07-2006, 05:22 AM
:cheering: Well done Julie

:cheering: Good going Andrea

:cheering: Keep at it Hilde

nanonette
03-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Love the top left, too, Vickie!!

Congrats on finishing, Julie! Way to go!!

Great idea, Hildie! You're getting close now.

Love your sweater, Andrea!

So, I have what must be at least double the number of stitches I should have...mainly in the back. So the front will be see through and the back like a brick wall :D
:roflhard: At least the back won't bunch. ;)

Angelia
03-07-2006, 08:43 AM
So, I have what must be at least double the number of stitches I should have...mainly in the back. So the front will be see through and the back like a brick wall :D
:roflhard: At least the back won't bunch. ;)

Ack--I hadn't even thought about bunching! :shock:

Your sweater looks fantastic, Andrea!! :happydance: :happydance:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 12:55 PM
Here's my Tubey. The sleeves are actually the same width, even though they don't look like it in the photo ;)

Oh, and the photo is taken from the front. If you look really closely, you can see the neck opening...

Jeep_Girl
03-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Andrea & Angelia - I LOVE your tubeys! :heart: Sounds so much like boobies.... I guess I should say - sweaters in progress!

Angelia
03-07-2006, 01:00 PM
I wish my boobies were in progress...then I'd have some hope!

Julie
03-07-2006, 02:39 PM
I take it back :verysad:

I have to undo my bind-off and add a few inches.

Also? It's very bunchy in back. :verysad:

Jeep_Girl
03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Ah Julie.... :(

I was hoping to see pics!

Angelia
03-07-2006, 03:48 PM
Oh, stink, Julie! :( Like Lisa, I've been anxiously awaiting a photo!

What's causing the bunching?

Julie
03-07-2006, 05:15 PM
The shrug part is just too big. I really went back and forth between doing the M and L...my bf said, "oh, make the large, definitely" and I should have listened to my gut, which told me to make the medium, and everyone who has said that this pattern runs big. I just didn't want to undo all of my hard shrug work...but I should have.

Listen to me, ye who have not yet started, THIS PATTERN RUNS BIG. Go with your gut or face some serious bunching.

:verysad:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 05:20 PM
I pout for you!! :heart: :heart:

I did go shorter on the shrug back once I heard about the bigness problem...I hope I went short enough...

Jeep_Girl
03-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I haven't done mine yet - so what the measurements say - do one size smaller?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 06:06 PM
hmmm, my shrug part wasn't bunchy.... i wonder if it willget bunchy once i add the boob-tube.... :thinking:

Jeep_Girl
03-07-2006, 06:08 PM
hmmm, my shrug part wasn't bunchy.... i wonder if it willget bunchy once i add the boob-tube.... :thinking:

boob-tube :roflhard:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 06:15 PM

nanonette
03-07-2006, 06:26 PM
I'm sorry about the bunchiness, Julie. :( That's such a bummer. I knit the size smaller as suggested in the pattern, but I think I'll still have some bunchiness. I've been scared to try it on.

Andrea
03-07-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm scared too, but I look at what the body and head opening looks like on mine and I think it looks tiny...I hope I'll be ok...

Overall I think we are all doing very well and I'm so proud of this KAL! Angelia, yours looks lovely! :cheering:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks, Andrea!

After hearing about the bunching problem, I'm tempted to run a lifeline through the stitches on the needle and try the sweater on just to see how and if what I have works...okay, I've convinced myself--I'm off to do that right now!

Julie
03-07-2006, 07:33 PM
To clarify, it's not bunchy because it's too long...it's too wide. When I initially tried the shrug on her it reached all the way down to the middle of her back -- I should have known then that I was in trouble. Waaaay too wide (the shrug itself, not the whole sweater, if that makes any sense). One time when I should not have trusted the pattern (we did ultimately choose the size based on the pit-to-pit measurement). :wall:

mishka
03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
Aw Julie :crying: Thats a big bummer.

Not sure how mines is going, done the first few stripes of body, but been in essay hell for a few days, hope to do more by the end of the week.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 07:48 PM
oooo too WIDE. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :thinking:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Okay, here are pics of the back and sides. The back shows bunching at the underarms, but not too much.

My concern is the side view. My breasts are NOT big, but look how the stripes hike up really high in the front!! Is the problem the result of the sweater's body not being done, or is this going to be a problem even after it's done? I ask because I will not wear a sweater with stripes that look like this! :shock:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 08:20 PM
hmmmmmm. Can you pull it down in the front any? It looks like it's just too big for you all over. Maybe you need to either add some decreases for your chest/middle so it fits more snugly or :frog: and pick up less stitches for the boobtube. :thinking:

orrrrr you could undo the stripes around the chest area and just do them at the waist?

I like it, anyway... not that that makes you feel better....

Julie
03-07-2006, 08:47 PM
I didn't do stripes, but it does look similar to mine in that the back is longer than the front. I keep looking at the pic on knitty, and her stripes look like they go straight around, no problem, but it just doesn't make sense to me. :??

Angelia
03-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Julie, I think the shrug is just too darn wide, which makes the back dip down far too low, thus the wonky stripes. I tried pulling it down, but it rides right back up the moment I move.

I may do what you suggest, Hildie, and undo the stripes, save them for below the boobs, and do some decreasing. Maybe that will work. :??

I swear, though, I am VERY tempted to frog the whole thing and do something else with the yarn. There's a yummy stripey sweater in Sally Melville's color book...

CateKnits
03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
I think it looks like that because the neckline is higher up than where the back where the stitches are picked up. I'm not sure how you could fix that, except maybe to put extra rows in the front somehow. :shock:
I think it looks good, though!

I don't think mine is getting finished by Friday. :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 09:00 PM
noooooooooooooooooooooooooo stick with tubeyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! :pray:

Angelia
03-07-2006, 09:03 PM
How could I creat extra horizontal rows to get close to the shrug bit in the back and then start the body proper fairly horizontally? Is that even possible? :?? Could I knit a piece sideways like the back, attach it somehow to the front (or something like a gusset maybe?) and then pick up stitches from it? Wait...that makes no sense...gah! :mad:

CateKnits
03-07-2006, 09:07 PM
I don't know, unless you could do it with short rows somehow. Or picked up your cast on row and knit back and forth and then sewed it to the neckline?
Sorry, I'm not good enough at this stuff to help at all. I mean, the only thing I can think of is to pull the top down so the stripes are even, but I doubt you want to wear it that way! :roflhard:

I'll finish it at some point this month when I get back to school (after I knit the Nietzsche :roflhard: ). I'm just too tired from stinky work to knit much. I blame it on getting up at 5.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 09:16 PM
oooo short rows might work! If you go back and forth from armpit across the front to the other armpit and then not actually do the round until the front is the same length as the back ...... :thinking: I think it would work!!!

I was trying to think of something with sock-like gusset things, but I like the short rows better.

CateKnits
03-07-2006, 09:19 PM
:shock: I had an idea that could work?! :roflhard:
I'm abusing the :roflhard: icon lately. It just has so much more energy than I do.

Andrea
03-07-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm scared to try mine on!!! :help:
Angelia, I think it would go down a little lower when it's finished...I think it's gotta be because the shrug part was too wide, which mine is too I'm sure. However, I didn't make stripes on the body, so maybe that will help.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
03-07-2006, 09:28 PM
try it on! we want to see!!!!!!

CateKnits
03-07-2006, 09:42 PM
I was going to try mine on (I think I'm somewhere between Andrea and Angelia), but I realized I didn't bring a needle home, so I can't get it on a lifeline. :rollseyes: I'll go buy one tomorrow, though. I'm a little worried about mine now. The shrug fit pretty well, though! I wore it all day when I finished it.

Angelia
03-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Okay...I think I might be able to figure out how to fix it! Thanks ladies!! :cheering: :cheering:

We need the kissy emoticon from the TAP forum! (Actually, we need several of the emoticons from the TAP forum ;) )

Though I am excited at the possibility of getting this to work properly, I am not looking forward to frogging my hours of work. 4 rows an hour, well, you can see why I'm upset! :shock:

But, I shall persevere in the name of knitting! :thumbsup: