PDA

View Full Version : Tubey KAL

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Vendie
12-13-2005, 11:04 PM
There has been some interest in doing Tubey from the latest Knitty.com as a knit-along. We will likely start in January, as everyone is wrapping up Christmas knitting (hah, pun not intended :lol: ). Please join us!

here's the link to the pattern: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html

CateKnits
12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Yay!

Angelia
12-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Yippeeee!!

Andrea
12-14-2005, 10:45 AM
There is a lot of yarn in this---what are suggestions so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!! I think this looks soooo fun!! What are you all going to use??? KP??

Angelia
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
There is a lot of yarn in this---what are suggestions so it doesn't cost an arm and a leg!! I think this looks soooo fun!! What are you all going to use??? KP??

I'm using KP Andean Silk. Should end up being around $40 worth of yarn, but with some leftovers.

You gonna join us?!! :heart:

Julie
12-14-2005, 02:13 PM
Oooooh....Andean Silk -- great idea! It's so yummy....and I am so tempted to join in on this one, though usually I don't have the patience for adult-sized sweaters. ;)

Angelia
12-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Oooooh....Andean Silk -- great idea! It's so yummy....and I am so tempted to join in on this one, though usually I don't have the patience for adult-sized sweaters. ;)

Join us! Join us! It's a LOVELY sweater...and there's Andean Silk involved... :inlove:

susies1955
12-14-2005, 03:59 PM
I wonder how this pattern would be for a newbie. I glanced at it and it hurt just to read it. LOL,
Susie

Angelia
12-14-2005, 04:16 PM
I wonder how this pattern would be for a newbie. I glanced at it and it hurt just to read it. LOL,
Susie

Oh no Susie! That will not do--join us! Can you knit? Can you purl? If so, well then, you're there!

It's MY first sweater--let it be YOURS, too!

Besides, just follow the pattern line by line, then, when you get comfuzzled, post your comfuzzlement! :thumbsup:

susies1955
12-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Angelia,
I made a sweater for my grandson and it turned out pretty well.
The crochet cast on I guess scared me off and then this ........3x1 Rib (Worked in the round over a multiple of 4 sts):Round 1: [K3, p1] around. repeat this round for 3x1 Rib and.................. :shock:
I think I wore Ingrid out with that sweater I did. She was so good to me. I'm not one to ask for help ever so it bothered me. I guess it is time to DROP that crap. LOL.
If you all really want to answer a ton of questions, I may give it a try.
I think I'm getting obsessed or maybe becoming a normal knitter. I'm getting ready to start another dishcloth and I have a Multidirectional Scarf I want to start and now this........oh and I have another sweater I want to do OH and I want to try socks and..............OH MY.
Thanks Angelia,
Susie

CateKnits
12-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Go for it, Susie!

I haven't decided on yarn yet...I may go with Andean Silk, as well. I think I'm gonna check out one of the LYS here tomorrow and see what I see.

susies1955
12-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Cate,
I might go for it. :)
Do I just get a comparable yarn to what the pattern uses? The most important thing is the stitich per inch right? Is content important?
Thanks,
Susie

Angelia
12-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Cate,
I might go for it. :)
Do I just get a comparable yarn to what the pattern uses? The most important thing is the stitich per inch right? Is content important?
Thanks,
Susie

So you've done a sweater already! You and Cate are the experienced ones! (Don't know if FG has done one or not...) This shouldn't be too bad at all, then! :thumbsup:

Re yarn: I am by no means an expert, but I think the weight is the most important. I did read somewhere though (and I really wish I'd been paying closer attention to where) that changing yarn content is a bit tricky, particularly the switch from wool to cotton since cotton is heavier and will cause the item to lay very differently. I don't know about a blend of cotton, though, particularly if the cotton content is low. All acrylic shouldn't be a problem...Maybe we need Ingrid's help...again! :rofling:

And yay for you, Cate, for going with the Andean Silk! I'm having a really hard time choosing colors...I want ALL of them! :inlove:

susies1955
12-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Angelia,
Yup, I did a little sweater. Had quite a time but did learn quite a bit.
Maybe I'll go with the yarn the other gals are choosing or I could take the pattern to my local yarn shop and have her help me out.
I thought it was more stitch per inch but I guess yarn weight should be the same too.
Thanks,
:)
Susie

VickiIL
12-14-2005, 06:43 PM
I'm in on this one! I LOVE that sweater. I just have to finish my Christmas knitting first. I am praying I will be done with in the week!

HMMM...Now what colors should I do this in? (This will be my first sweater!!! :cheering: )

Angelia
12-14-2005, 07:11 PM
Angelia,
Yup, I did a little sweater. Had quite a time but did learn quite a bit.
Maybe I'll go with the yarn the other gals are choosing or I could take the pattern to my local yarn shop and have her help me out.

Try your LYS--who knows what treasure you may find there! And having some help might reassure you, too.

I thought it was more stitch per inch but I guess yarn weight should be the same too.
Thanks,
:)
Susie

That's what I meant...stitches per inch...which kinda goes with yarn weight...for a teacher, I really don't communicate well sometimes! Sorry! :D

I'm in on this one! I LOVE that sweater. I just have to finish my Christmas knitting first. I am praying I will be done with in the week!

HMMM...Now what colors should I do this in? (This will be my first sweater!!! )

Woo hoo!!!

:cheering: :cheering:

It's my first too! And I know what you mean about choosing colors!

Vendie
12-14-2005, 07:31 PM
Aaack, this thread got away from me!! The last time I read it, Angelia was going "Yippeeeee!"

It looks like the patten is calling for a worsted weight. If you want to switch fiber content (I'm going to pretend I know what I'm talking about), definitely swatch it out first - especially in the rib pattern. You're going to want something stretchy with this one.

One benefit to this pattern is that there's no seaming, since she's basically combining a shrug with a tube, hence the name. I'm sure there are going to be techniques I've never done, so we will all learn together! I've never done a sweater before, but when I start working on this one, I'll also be working another one at the same time (I think I'm insane :rollseyes: )

Also, don't feel you need to use as many colors as she is - I'm probably going to knit a solid body, and keep the stripes that are on the sleeves, or some other combination that I haven't thought of yet.

For yarn, I think I might go merino style, or I might order some Peruvian wool from Elann. Then again, I might go Cascade 220 - I'm loving that stuff right now! (I'm swatching that right now for Twist and it's a bit softer than I thought it would be).

CateKnits
12-14-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm thinking I'm going to do black (because the sweater I'm doing now is too much white!) with a thick green stripe and a couple of thin yellow ones. I love the stripes on the sleeves, though!

susies1955
12-14-2005, 07:59 PM
Angelia,
Yes, I may try the local yarn shop. They have been a great help. I might want to try some KnitPick yarns for the first time though. :)
Susie

susies1955
12-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Fibergirl,
I've done one swatch and was told how important it was and the hat was for a child when it got done and it was suppose to be an adult size so I'm sort of leery of them BUT I guess I should keep doing them. :)
I have no clue what colors I would go with but it is fun thinking about it.
Susie

Angelia
12-14-2005, 08:14 PM
Angelia,
Yes, I may try the local yarn shop. They have been a great help. I might want to try some KnitPick yarns for the first time though. :)
Susie

Hmm...either choice is a good one!

Andrea
12-14-2005, 08:16 PM
Alright, I'm in---especially b/c I think my mom is getting my a KP gift certificate along with my swift and ball winder for Christmas :cheering:

I've never done a sweater either... :shock: But I think it will be FUN :cheering:

Angelia
12-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Alright, I'm in---especially b/c I think my mom is getting my a KP gift certificate along with my swift and ball winder for Christmas :cheering:

I've never done a sweater either... :shock: But I think it will be FUN :cheering:

Yay Andrea! :cheering: :cheering:

(This KAL is going to be so much fun!) :heart: :heart:

And what fantastic gifts you're getting from your Mum! :inlove:

Oooh, news: I'm so excited--I'm doing a literature textbook review for a book publisher and they're paying me nicely for my time! It should just about cover the HUGE KP order, comprised mostly of yarn for Tubey, sitting in my shopping basket awaiting final color approval....It's like a bonus Christmas present!

Yippee! :cheering:

Andrea
12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Oooh, news: I'm so excited--I'm doing a literature textbook review for a book publisher and they're paying me nicely for my time! It should just about cover the HUGE KP order, comprised mostly of yarn for Tubey, sitting in my shopping basket awaiting final color approval....It's like a bonus Christmas present!

Yippee! :cheering:

:shock: Wow, does that mean your FAMOUS? Will your review be on a COVER??

Jeep_Girl
12-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Honestly - I haven't gone up to see the pattern but I'm in too! I've been waiting to do a project with Angelia :rollseyes: So I guess I should go & check it out and get an order going....

Thanks for pointing me in the direction Angelia!

CateKnits
12-14-2005, 09:05 PM
I think I'm getting the yarn for Christmas! I asked my dad to please NOT tell the people at work I requested yarn for Christmas...they tease me enough! Hehe. But he said he'd get it for me. :heart:
I'm doing the Andean Silk in pitch with stripes of yarrow and lettuce. I'm also getting some orange and brown sock yarn to make RIT-colored knee socks! :roflhard:

Angelia
12-14-2005, 10:45 PM
Andrea: No, no fame at all :D. It just means I've been teaching awhile with their textbooks, so they're sort of rewarding me for all the money I've helped them make! :rofling: Hey, I'm a yarn ho--I don't care what I have to do to make stash money.

Lisa: You crack me up--I'm happy you're joining!!! We can finally KAL!!!

Cate: Yay for you on the yarn for Christmas. Surely your dad doesn't have to say anything to the folks at work; won't they just assume, and rightly so, that you will get yarn for Christmas? Oh, and I am very interested in the RIT socks!! And KNEE socks at that!

misstialouise
12-14-2005, 11:36 PM
I maybe joining you on this (with some mathematical workings), but only if I can find soemthing in my stash to knit it with..

DH won't abide my buying any more yarn until I've used at least SOME of the stuff I have :D

Angelia
12-14-2005, 11:43 PM
DH won't abide my buying any more yarn until I've used at least SOME of the stuff I have :D

Oh, that sounds familiar! :roflhard:

Just knit up some socks fairly quickly...throw in a hat or two...

that's what I did... :shifty:

misstialouise
12-14-2005, 11:49 PM

Lol.. if only that would be enough.. hehe..

I have enough yarn to make several sweaters/shrugs/tanks, a dozen pair of socks, 15 little bubba koalas, and a complete baby wardrobe.. LMAO!

Angelia
12-14-2005, 11:55 PM

Lol.. if only that would be enough.. hehe..

I have enough yarn to make several sweaters/shrugs/tanks, a dozen pair of socks, 15 little bubba koalas, and a complete baby wardrobe.. LMAO!

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Oops :) I guess my stash pales in comparison!

But, it sounds like you could easily put together enough for the Tubey! :cheering:

Julie
12-14-2005, 11:57 PM
I am :roflhard: that this thread is already on page 3 and we haven't started knitting yet! :mrgreen:

Angelia
12-15-2005, 12:01 AM
I am :roflhard: that this thread is already on page 3 and we haven't started knitting yet! :mrgreen:

We're just excited! And this is the recruitment period!

CateKnits
12-15-2005, 12:02 AM
And it's all still relevant to Tubey!

misstialouise
12-15-2005, 12:14 AM
But, it sounds like you could easily put together enough for the Tubey! :cheering:

As long as I can get enough 'like weighted' yarn, I'm all good.. heheehe

Otherwise.. I'll watch.. :D

Angelia
12-15-2005, 12:17 AM

As long as I can get enough 'like weighted' yarn, I'm all good.. heheehe

Otherwise.. I'll watch.. :D

Ahh, voyeurism! Nice! :eyebrow:

misstialouise
12-15-2005, 12:21 AM
Ahh, voyeurism! Nice! :eyebrow:

:oops:

Well, I'm going to Adelaide in mid January, so I'm hoping there'll be something over there that I won't be able to keep my mits off.. :D

I mean yarn, of course....

aprildavis99
12-15-2005, 04:02 AM
Ok, I am in. I just have to pick out the yarn. I think I will use the KP Merino I had bought for my Eris V-neck sweater. But Eris will have to wait. I can't concentrate on the cable charts on it while doing the cable charts on Rogue Hoodie at the same time. Eris can wait a bit longer. So now I just need contrasting colors for the stripes. The main color will be Rhubarb. Maybe Hollyberry, Vanilla, and Cinnamon.

Even the colors sound yummy. :roflhard:

Vendie
12-15-2005, 07:36 AM
Those colors DO sound yummy April! I haven't picked out my colors yet... I have 11 balls of Asparagus Merino Style sitting in my wish list basket, so maybe I'll grab those and some other coordinating colors...but I might just go black too...I love black sweaters...

I am SOOOO excited about the response to this KAL! I think it'll be a lot of fun! Yay! :cheering: :happydance: :cheering: :happydance:

Angelia
12-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Great colors April! :inlove:

And FG--that asparagus is lovely!...mix in some kind of dark purple and black... :inlove:

I, too love black sweaters. Plus, won't the black cover up boo boos better? That's a plus for me!

mintdee
12-15-2005, 11:17 AM
uuugh you people have made me want to knit this sweater as well. :doh: I don't know that I will have the yarn when you all start but I am glad that you are doing this so that when I do make it I can come here for suggestions! I am picturing a light blue with a white stripe...that may change before yarn buying time... soooo pretty :D

Vendie
12-15-2005, 11:34 AM
*In zombie voice-over*

We will suck you in...you will knit Tubey...you have no choice...

I like the light blue idea! Sounds pretty!

Angelia
12-15-2005, 11:37 AM
"Join ussss Sannndraaa....knit the precioussss"~~Tubey

mintdee
12-15-2005, 12:15 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

you ppl have issues :hiding:
:roflhard:

Vendie
12-15-2005, 02:35 PM

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Julie
12-15-2005, 05:52 PM
Okay, what is my problem.....

I've been swatching several yarns I have lying around. Normally I don't consider myself an overly tight or loose knitter -- I generally am able to match the suggested gauge of patterns without even changing needles. But this pattern? What's the deal? 5 stitches to the inch, with aran weight yarn, on US8 needles?

I get 5 stitches to the inch with DK weight on US6 needles. I tried worsted on US6s and got 4 stitches to the inch. Am I missing something here? Is this supposed to be the densest sweater on the face of the planet?? :??

gimmesanity
12-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Too funny - I'm in. I have no idea what colors to use, though.... :??

VickiIL
12-15-2005, 06:03 PM
I LOVE all the stripes and have some Merino in my stash that I am hoping to use up. Unfortunatley I do need to buy a bunch to finish the sweater. I am thinking for using KP Merino style. I love the black sweater so I am going to go with coal for main color. The contrasting colors I am thinking are Moss, Asparagus, Crocus, Nutmeg and Hollyberry. (I already have Hollyberry, Nutmeg and Moss in my stash but a little less than an entire skein of each... so I thought the other colors went nice....What do you think?)

Angelia
12-15-2005, 06:23 PM
Julie: Gee, that is going to be a problem, perhaps for all of us! As long as we have the 5 stitches per inch, won't it be okay if we use a 6? (That's my guage on worsted using a 6, and aran is close to worsted, isn't it?)

Sandra: :cheering: :cheering: Glad you're in! And I'm having color problems, too...so many...I've put yarn in and out of my KP shopping cart so often that I'm getting dizzy.

Vicki: those colors sound wonderful! And for some of the stripes you won't need an entire skein, so you can plan around them.

VickiIL
12-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Julie: Gee, that is going to be a problem, perhaps for all of us! As long as we have the 5 stitches per inch, won't it be okay if we use a 6? (That's my guage on worsted using a 6, and aran is close to worsted, isn't it?)

The pattern is done in worsted weight which depending on the yarn can be 5-6 stitch per inch. So I would just play with what you have. I plan on using Merino style which there is some debate whether it is DK or worsted..but regardless. My guage with US6 is 5 so it works for me.

mintdee
12-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Have any of you used Merino Style Dusk or storm? What is the difference between them? Thinking I might be going with a darker blue. :thinking:

Andrea
12-15-2005, 09:11 PM
Do I have to check gauge?? :shock: I've never checked gauge :shock: *gulp*

In happier news, I'm thinking mine will be brown...BUT I did notice Merino had orange and purple so I could wear Tubey while on my NEW MOTORCYCLE (hint hint DH)!! :cheering:

Andrea
12-15-2005, 09:35 PM
Techie question--when I try to print the pattern from the link, it cuts off the right side by a lot b/c of the stuff on the left. I tried C & P to word, but the drawings didn't copy...how do you make it printer friendly?

Julie
12-15-2005, 10:48 PM
In this case I'd DEFINITELY check your gauge. For things that don't have to fit, it's not as big of a deal, but for this, oh yeah, esp. since the pattern gauge seems so wonky. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 until you check your gauge. :fingerwag:

Angelia
12-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Do not pass go, do not collect $200 until you check your gauge. :fingerwag:

HA! :roflhard:

Angelia
12-15-2005, 11:12 PM
Techie question--when I try to print the pattern from the link, it cuts off the right side by a lot b/c of the stuff on the left. I tried C & P to word, but the drawings didn't copy...how do you make it printer friendly?

Well that just stinks that there's not a printer-friendly version. I hadn't noticed since I haven't made it that far :)

Oh, and about the colors--you should make the sweater in orange and purple to match the bike!!! Surely just showing the yarn to the dh will be another very obvious hint!

Mer
12-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Whoa, I didn't even see this thread til today! I would love to do Tubey, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it anytime soon. And I would have to sub some sort of cotton blend, for practical purposes. I'll join in if I can!

Mer
12-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Oh, for printing it, can you try selecting the text and pattern photos and then doing "print selection" on the print menu? I think I've done that on their site.

aprildavis99
12-16-2005, 12:25 AM
Have any of you used Merino Style Dusk or storm? What is the difference between them? Thinking I might be going with a darker blue. :thinking:

I like Storm. I think I am going to add that too my stripe colors. So it will be Main..Rhubarb Stripes..Cinnamon, Vanilla, Storm, Hollyberry, and Asparagus.

humblestumble
12-16-2005, 01:45 AM
this one looks really cool but i dont know when i could ever start on it.

Angelia
12-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Join us Mer and Angela!

Do I have to do the Tubey hypnotic voice? :fingerwag:

April: those colors sound beautiful!

Andrea
12-16-2005, 10:45 AM
In this case I'd DEFINITELY check your gauge. For things that don't have to fit, it's not as big of a deal, but for this, oh yeah, esp. since the pattern gauge seems so wonky. Do not pass go, do not collect $200 until you check your gauge. :fingerwag:

:notworthy: Yes master! :notworthy:
:roflhard:

Oh, and about the colors--you should make the sweater in orange and purple to match the bike!!! Surely just showing the yarn to the dh will be another very obvious hint
I think maybe I will!!! :D Are you using Merino or Andean Silk?
Oh, for printing it, can you try selecting the text and pattern photos and then doing "print selection" on the print menu? I think I've done that on their site
That worked! Thanks!! :D

Angelia
12-16-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure now whether I'll use Andean Silk or Merino...The Merino is cheaper, and thus would enable me to buy yarn for other things.... :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

Julie
12-16-2005, 12:18 PM
I think I'll end up with Merino Style -- it knits to gauge for me -- though I'm making it for my best friend, and she gets final yarn say. :D

volmel
12-16-2005, 12:33 PM
I heart this sweater. I want to join in. I'm going on vacation after Christmas so will have to wait until January. Is everyone starting immediately?

volmel
12-16-2005, 01:00 PM
This sweater sounds hard.

First question. When I buy the double pointed needles, what length do I get? I've never knitted with them before.

Angelia
12-16-2005, 01:41 PM
We're not starting until January--no one has time until then! We're just getting excited and making yarn choices now. :D

And it won't be too hard--we're in this together, remember!

For dpns, the widest selection I've found is at Hobby Lobby (if you like aluminum, anyway, which I do).

volmel
12-16-2005, 01:50 PM
They seem to come in different lengths, is that right? Does it matter about the length?

Angelia
12-16-2005, 02:03 PM
They seem to come in different lengths, is that right? Does it matter about the length?

Well, it depends on what you're using them for. For this, I'd suggest the longer ones to keep stitches from slipping off the needles.

mintdee
12-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Sheesh this knit along has not even started and it is already 5 pages long :roflhard:

volmel
12-16-2005, 03:22 PM
Thanks Angelia! I will get the longer ones.

Angelia
12-16-2005, 03:33 PM

No problem!

Say, where in TN are you, Volmel? The dh and I used to live in Middle TN in Giles County. (Addy was Pulaski, but we lived in the boonies!)

D
12-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I :heart: this sweater! I may join in, but I have no idea when I'd get started. I'm thinking of the main body being Black (Coal, if I go for KP Merino) and only two equal-sized bands, perhaps placed around the waist. I may use Nutmeg & Cinnamon or Cinnamon & Moss. I'm also considering some Elizabeth Austen Andes Denim/Teal as the two colors, but I've never used variegated yarn for a pattern, before, and I'm a little cautious about how it'll turn out.

It is funny how many posts are in this thread already, it grew up fast!

mintdee
12-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Youu want to join...you want to make a tubey... you will buy yarn...

The tubey you are planning sounds great!

gimmesanity
12-16-2005, 09:57 PM
:?? I'd like to make the stripes, but I'm a little gal who's a bit...um...over-endowed. I've always avoided horizontal stripes like the plague - stripes are like a bright, neon sign that reads "Hey, everyone, lookit Sharon's boobies!!!" :blush:

I'm gonna have to think about how to work in the stripes - maybe just do them on the very bottom. Would the ribbing draw too much attention, too? I REALLY want to do this, but I need to convince myself that I'll wear it after putting in all that time and effort.

CateKnits
12-16-2005, 10:04 PM
I feel ya on the stripes thing! I'm thinking I'm just going to do a wide stripe (I'm thinking like 1/3 of the body of the sweater) so it's not straight black, but it doesn't look all..stripey. Either that or a bunch of really thin stripes. I haven't decided which will look less...boob-enhancing. :shock: I'm planning to go look at/try on sweaters in a store to see which works. :D

Angelia
12-16-2005, 10:38 PM
It seems to me, esp. if you use a dark MC, that you could delay the stripes until below the boobies (yes, I said it!) so that they are hidden since the eye will be drawn to the stripes below them.

Wish I had an endowment problem...wish I could FILL a bra... :verysad:

aprildavis99
12-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I agree. The darker color across the bust, then the stripes below it should be minimizing.

Me on the other hand. I am endowed everywhere, not just the bust :roflhard:
But I am doing the stripes anyway. I am round, whether solid or striped. You can't get passed it. I might as well enjoy all the cool colors. :thumbsup:

Angelia
12-16-2005, 11:08 PM
I agree. The darker color across the bust, then the stripes below it should be minimizing.

Me on the other hand. I am endowed everywhere, not just the bust :roflhard:
But I am doing the stripes anyway. I am round, whether solid or striped. You can't get passed it. I might as well enjoy all the cool colors. :thumbsup:

Atta girl! :thumbsup:

I'll bet you'll look gorgeous!

aprildavis99
12-16-2005, 11:36 PM
I was so anxious to get started on this. I couldn't wait until Jan. So I started it this afternoon. I just thought I would make a comment about using DPNs on the sleeves. I CO for the largest size...70 stitches and it fit perfectly on my never before used 12" size 8 addi circ. I think even the smallest # of stitches for this pattern would fit nicely. Just a thought for any of you who have these or thinking about them, or if you are like me and are just wanting the quickness of a circ as opposed to the DPNs. Don't get me wrong, I like using DPNs....I prefer them to the Magic loop method or the 2 circ method for very small tubes. But if I can use 1 circ, I will.

I am only 4 or 5 rows in, so far, and will probably put it down for a while, but I was eager to try that crochet provisional CO. It's not so hard as I thought. :thumbsup:

aprildavis99
12-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Angelia,

The crochet cast on I guess scared me off

I just tried this Cast On. I was nervous about it too. It's not as hard as I expected. Do you know how to make a crochet chain?

Angelia
12-16-2005, 11:59 PM
I was so anxious to get started on this. I couldn't wait until Jan. So I started it this afternoon. I just thought I would make a comment about using DPNs on the sleeves. I CO for the largest size...70 stitches and it fit perfectly on my never before used 12" size 8 addi circ. I think even the smallest # of stitches for this pattern would fit nicely. Just a thought for any of you who have these or thinking about them, or if you are like me and are just wanting the quickness of a circ as opposed to the DPNs. Don't get me wrong, I like using DPNs....I prefer them to the Magic loop method or the 2 circ method for very small tubes. But if I can use 1 circ, I will.

I am only 4 or 5 rows in, so far, and will probably put it down for a while, but I was eager to try that crochet provisional CO. It's not so hard as I thought. :thumbsup:

Way to go, April!! :thumbsup: Sounds like everything is going well. Keep us updated!

susies1955
12-17-2005, 05:07 AM
April,
No I don't know anything about Crochet. I can learn though. :)
Susie

aprildavis99
12-17-2005, 07:41 AM
For this pattern, you only need to know how to crochet the starting chain. It's not even a stitch, really.

You make a slip knot on your crochet hook. then just wrap the yarn around the hook once and pull it through the slip knot. Just keep wrapping and pulling up loops until the desired number is fiished.

Heres' a good site with pics http://crochet.about.com/library/bl_starting_chain.htm

The front of this chain has flat Vs laying sideways and the back has 1 ridge for each stitch. It is from this back ridge that you pick up your CO loops to begin the sweater.

After you make the beginning chain with the waste yarn, get your left needle and insert it in the 4th back ridge from the end of the chain. Knit into this ridge with the sweater yarn. Then put your left needle in the next back ridge and knit into it. Keep doing this until you get the number of CO loops needed. It says to crochet a few more chains than CO number. My CO number is 70 so I chained 76, leaving 3 chains empty at each end. Be sure you knit into those back ridges. If you knit into one of the front loops, the chain won't pull out later when you need it to.

I'm sorry if this is confusing. I will be glad to answer any other questions if you need.

susies1955
12-17-2005, 07:58 AM
April,
Your explanation of the crochet cast on I understood perfectly. The rest will probably click as I do it. Thanks so much.
I'll be sure to HOLLER 'when' I need help,
Thanks,
Susie :)

Angelia
12-17-2005, 09:53 AM
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT TUBEY:

Cassie Rovitti, Tubey's designer, has added a note about Tubey on its pattern page at Knitty.

Here it is:

Important Note: Be sure to choose a size with a cross-back measurement that is at least .5 inches longer than the width of your back, measured from center of armpit to center of armpit, when your arms are held forward. (Have a friend help you take this measurement!)

I, for one, am glad for this addendum because I have broad shoulders and for a split second, because of the large amount of stretch, thought I might be able to get away with wearing a small. NOT SO NOW!

mintdee
12-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Hey thanks for pointing that out! I will have to have my dh measure me. Oh he is going to be sooooo thrilled :roflhard:

BTW Ang our Avatars go together quite well ;)

Angelia
12-17-2005, 12:13 PM
Hey thanks for pointing that out! I will have to have my dh measure me. Oh he is going to be sooooo thrilled :roflhard:

:eyebrow:

BTW Ang our Avatars go together quite well ;)

I know! :D Isn't it one of the best movies EVER?! :inlove:

Vendie
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Totally OT to this thread, but since you mentioned it - that movie was filmed in St Catharines ON, my DH's hometown. Little factoid for you there.

Angelia
12-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Totally OT to this thread, but since you mentioned it - that movie was filmed in St Catharines ON, my DH's hometown. Little factoid for you there.

Oooh, really? Neato factoid! I've been to St Catherines--well, through it is more precise: it's on the way to Napanee ON, where my aunt and uncle lived for awhile.

volmel
12-17-2005, 04:56 PM

No problem!

Say, where in TN are you, Volmel? The dh and I used to live in Middle TN in Giles County. (Addy was Pulaski, but we lived in the boonies!)

I'm in East Tennessee, right between Knoxville and Chattanooga. I know where you lived. It's a small world :)

Melissa

Angelia
12-17-2005, 05:09 PM
I'm in East Tennessee, right between Knoxville and Chattanooga. I know where you lived. It's a small world :)

Melissa

It's cool, isn't it?! :happydance:

CateKnits
12-17-2005, 05:26 PM
I ordered my yarn for Tubey today! It's a Christmas present from my Dad. :roflhard:

Angelia
12-17-2005, 05:36 PM
I ordered my yarn for Tubey today! It's a Christmas present from my Dad. :roflhard:

Andrea
12-17-2005, 06:10 PM
I thought A Christmas Story was filmed in Indianer?? Like Highland or Gary?? :??

Regardless, Angelia I :heart: the avatar!

Angelia
12-17-2005, 07:04 PM
I thought A Christmas Story was filmed in Indianer?? Like Highland or Gary?? :??

Regardless, Angelia I :heart: the avatar!

I love yours too!!! You have authori-tie!

Andrea
12-17-2005, 08:56 PM
I should have put the shotgun in my hand though...my gun looks too teeny in the avatar!! :roflhard:

Angelia
12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
I should have put the shotgun in my hand though...my gun looks too teeny in the avatar!! :roflhard:

I thought it was a manhole cover in the background!

Yeah, you need a bigger gun! Or, a lighter background.

Andrea
12-17-2005, 11:29 PM

I thought it was a manhole cover in the background!

Yeah, you need a bigger gun! Or, a lighter background.

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:
But it's such a looooooooooooooooong process to do the pic b/c I don't know how to make it into a picture...mod squad (i.e. KK :D) had to fix it...

Angelia
12-17-2005, 11:40 PM
But it's such a looooooooooooooooong process to do the pic b/c I don't know how to make it into a picture...mod squad (i.e. KK :D) had to fix it...

I know! I gave up on mine....It's okay that you have a little gun.

CateKnits
12-17-2005, 11:48 PM
What you can do is hit the print screen (I think it says "prt sc") button on your keyboard and then open MS Paint and go to Edit>Paste. It should paste the whole screenshot into the program. Then click the button that looks like a little rectangle made of dotted lines and select the area you want to save. Go to Edit>Cut. Then go to File>New and make a new image. It'll probably be too big, so go to Image>Stretch/Skew and put 1% in the first two boxes. Now go to Edit>Paste and you should have what you selected as your image. Then save it and you're done!

I'm horrible at explaining things, so if anyone does this and it works, let me know!

Angelia
12-17-2005, 11:51 PM
What you can do is hit the print screen (I think it says "prt sc") button on your keyboard and then open MS Paint and go to Edit>Paste. It should paste the whole screenshot into the program. Then click the button that looks like a little rectangle made of dotted lines and select the area you want to save. Go to Edit>Cut. Then go to File>New and make a new image. It'll probably be too big, so go to Image>Stretch/Skew and put 1% in the first two boxes. Now go to Edit>Paste and you should have what you selected as your image. Then save it and you're done!

I'm horrible at explaining things, so if anyone does this and it works, let me know!

It's up! check out my blog!

Andrea
12-17-2005, 11:52 PM
I don't have MS paint I don't think :thinking:
What about MS photo editor??

CateKnits
12-17-2005, 11:55 PM
I think everyone has MS Paint. That's why I suggested it. It's usually in the Start menu under "Accessories." I don't know about Photo Editor. I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro, myself...and Adobe Photoshop at school..and Adobe Illustrator, and InDesign, and QuarkXPress. Gah. I've only touched a Mac about four times, and three were during labs this quarter! I feel like I'm suffering from image editing/page layout program burnout already. :shock:

Angelia
12-17-2005, 11:56 PM
I don't have MS paint I don't think :thinking:
What about MS photo editor??

Photo editor is what I use (well, picture manager, but surely it works the same way?)

Andrea
12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh I'm so computer illiterate...I found MSpaint! I'll try posting new one in my blog

volmel
12-19-2005, 01:49 PM
I'm very yarn challenged. :oops: Would Cascade 220 work for this pattern???

xxxooo's
Melissa

Angelia
12-19-2005, 01:58 PM
I'm very yarn challenged. :oops: Would Cascade 220 work for this pattern???

xxxooo's
Melissa

I think so, but it might be a bit scratchy...

volmel
12-19-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks Angelia. I thought it might work. Everything is scratchy on me, even acrylics. Cashmere especially. I just wear these little top liners that I get from http://www.autrepeau.com/

Melissa

Angelia
12-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Thanks Angelia. I thought it might work. Everything is scratchy on me, even acrylics. Cashmere especially. I just wear these little top liners that I get from http://www.autrepeau.com/

Melissa

Wow, even cashmere is scratchy? Gee! So I guess it's all the same to you, eh? Those undershirts look nice....I might wear more heavy woolens if I could wear one of those undershirts!!

volmel
12-19-2005, 02:27 PM
It's just because I'm such a delicate flower :roflhard:

Angelia
12-19-2005, 04:03 PM
It's just because I'm such a delicate flower :roflhard:

Jeep_Girl
12-19-2005, 11:38 PM
Hey all - you are having way too much fun without me! I have yet to order my yarn too.... :rollseyes:

Angelia
12-20-2005, 12:14 AM
I ordered my wool today! (Yes on the free shipping, but I added express, so hopefully it will actually arrive within a week.)

I'd planned on using Andean Silk, but I had so many other things to order that I ended up going with Merino Style with coal as the MC, and I'm too sleepy to remember the others. There are 5 total. I was just trying to save fundage. Andean Silk is in my future, though. More immediate than the dh might like, actually...

CateKnits
12-20-2005, 12:16 AM
Yay! Maybe we'll all be starting soon!
I'm ashamed to say I haven't picked up my fair-isle since leaving school.

Angelia
12-20-2005, 12:22 AM
Yay! Maybe we'll all be starting soon!

January is very near!!

I'm ashamed to say I haven't picked up my fair-isle since leaving school.

Well, you've kinda had other things to do, like, oh MOVE! And no need to be speedy, after all!

Vendie
12-20-2005, 07:44 AM
I'M DONE WITH MY CHRISTMAS KNITTING!!!

As soon as I get yarn, I can start Tubey!!!! :cheering:

Angelia
12-20-2005, 08:33 AM

WOO HOO!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

It should arrive any day now, huh?!

volmel
12-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Oh no, ya'll will be starting without me. I'll be out of town the week after Christmas.

volmel
12-20-2005, 01:39 PM
Another yarn-challenged question:

What is the difference in Cascade 220 (I assume it's 100 percent wool) and Merino style? I guess what I'm asking is the difference in regular wool and Merino wool? Is the Merino a lot softer? I already have the Cascade, but I might want to invest in the Merino for this sweater if it's going to look better.

Julie
12-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Merino Style is muuuuch softer...cheaper too :thumbsup:

volmel
12-20-2005, 02:09 PM
Thanks Julie. I think I'll order the merino from KP and save the Cascade for a later project.

Melissa

Vendie
12-20-2005, 03:16 PM

WOO HOO!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

It should arrive any day now, huh?!

Oh I haven't even started looking for yarn yet...I'll probably order some while I'm in Iowa so that it'll be at my house shortly after I get back...OR, I should order yarn NOW so it will arrive in Iowa while I'm still there! :thumbsup:

amy
12-20-2005, 04:30 PM
That is such a cute pattern. Have fun everyone!!!

Angelia
12-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Oh no, ya'll will be starting without me. I'll be out of town the week after Christmas.

Oh no--you can still join. The official start time is January, and that's likely when I'll get to start myself. So you're fine!

Mer
12-21-2005, 10:54 AM
And we don't all have to start at the exact same time either. The Fiber Trend Clogs KAL has been going on for ages!

CateKnits
12-26-2005, 10:24 PM
I got my yarn! :happydance: I guess I need to get needles this week so I can start!

aprildavis99
12-26-2005, 10:42 PM

candicane
12-27-2005, 01:50 PM
I have had this in my pile of "to try." It will be my first sweater. I am thinking of using the KP Andean Silk also. I am planning on a solid color, but would like to add a second strand that is sparkly. A light gray sweater with silver or black with sparkly black. Any suggestions?

Candice

partydiva
12-27-2005, 08:16 PM
I think I will try this sweater also. I've never done anything on circular needles but am gonna give it a try. I have to buy enough yarn for the XL so I have to get all my stuff together first. I will probably get started after most of you have started and that's good for me so that you'll be able to help me along. Now all I have to figure out is the colors. I don't know the last time I've even worn a sweater....

susies1955
12-28-2005, 08:00 PM
I need Help to figure out what yarn to use for my Tubey.
I 'will' buy yarn if I have to but was wondering if I could use some yarn that was given to me.
It is called NEW WOOL by Ironstone Yarns
NEW WOOL SPACE-DYED -- 95% Wool 5% Polyester
1 strand: Needle: #10 (4 sts = 1 inch)
I have four hanks and it is 1168 yards total.
Would this stuff be ok for Tubey? Would it be itchy? Does it need a closer match because it is a stretchy sort of sweater?
What needle do I start with to do a gage?
I sweater says use an 8.
Thanks,
Susie

Angelia
12-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Since the yarn calls for such a large needle, it might be too dense if knit with a smaller one; I'm just not sure. You could do a swatch with an 8, knitting in the 3k1p rib to check gauge and density.

As for itchiness, well, it sounds itchy, but how does it feel to you? You could always wash it with woolwash (with lanolin) to maybe soften it up a bit once it's knit.

I am pretty clueless, though; perhaps someone more knowledgeable will pop in!

Andrea
12-28-2005, 11:46 PM
I am pretty clueless, though; perhaps someone more knowledgeable will pop in!

I think you sound SMART!!!!! :D

Angelia
12-28-2005, 11:49 PM

susies1955
12-29-2005, 05:58 AM
Angelia,
Thanks for the help. I'll be sure to do the swatch and I'll try the size 8 first.
Susie

Vendie
12-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Ugh, I STILL haven't ordered my yarn for this one yet. I even tried to convince myself (and mom) to go to the better LYS in Cedar Rapids (discovered it last night on an emergency needle run) to get yarn...but I think I'll order some merino from KP and maybe it will show up at my house shortly after we get back....but dang, I don't think I brought my color card with me.

Ang, I think you've answered Susie's questions just fine! Susie, definitely swatch it out in the rib pattern on a size 8 - see how stretchy the swatch is - be sure to wash your swatch first to see if the yarn blossoms when wet. Then see how much stretch you get. New Wool is classified as a heavy worsted, while the yarn called for in the pattern is a worsted. If you're on gauge you'll probably be ok.

susies1955
12-29-2005, 06:41 PM
...........see how stretchy the swatch is - be sure to wash your swatch first to see if the yarn blossoms when wet. Then see how much stretch you get.

Ok, if I decide to use it I will do as you say. What does blossom mean though??????????????
Thanks,
Susie

Angelia
12-29-2005, 06:48 PM
I'm wondering that too..."blossoms"....maybe it means it puffs up? :??

(Like when little girls blossom and get boobies!)

Ingrid
12-29-2005, 06:49 PM
That's exactly what it means--not the boobies--the fluffing up.

susies1955
12-29-2005, 07:10 PM
And do I want it to blossom??????
Susie

Ingrid
12-29-2005, 07:12 PM
I think she meant that if it does blossom a lot, it will affect the gauge and the stretch of the rib. You want to know what the sweater will be like after it's washed, after all.

susies1955
12-29-2005, 07:13 PM
Ok, I'm going to try a guage for the tubey. I've only done one once and the teacher just said put SO many stitches on and knit for a while. LOL.
The directions to the tubey say 24/sts/24 rows = 4 inches in 3 x1 Rib.
Is that exactly how I do the guage? I put 24 sts on a cirlce size 8 needle and do 24 rows and then measure......or am I confused?
Thanks,
Susie

susies1955
12-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks Ingrid.....I'll give it a wash and see what I get. :)
Susie

Angelia
12-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I'd put about 40 on the circ--the swatch needs to be larger than four inches, though you're checking your guage over the course of four inches. (Edges will interfere.) Knit about 36 or so rows.

Edited for poor grammar!

susies1955
12-29-2005, 07:25 PM
Angelia,
Wow, that's a lot of knitting for just a swatch. Now I'm beginning to understand why some say that DO NOT like doing guage. :)
Appreciate you help,
Susie

susies1955
12-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Whoops, how do I knit this? I've only used a circular once. If I'm making a guage do I just keep going around and around with the rib kniting or what????? Wouldn't that make it a tube???? DO I treat it like straights???? I wonder why it says to use circulars? HUM!
Susie

Angelia
12-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Just treat the circ like straights--knit to the end, then turn it around and knit to the end again. Repeat! And repeat and repeat and repeat... :rollseyes:

Swatching stinks, but you really want this right because it's a sweater. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! :rofling:

I've got to do the same stinking thing for my Tubey. We all do--you're not alone!

susies1955
12-29-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm suppose to do the guage in rib so I would k3 and p1 and just keep on going then turn it around and keep on going..........and going............... :)
Yes, we are all in this together so everyone better do it.
LOL,
Thanks,
Susie

Angelia
12-29-2005, 07:52 PM
I'm suppose to do the guage in rib so I would k3 and p1 and just keep on going then turn it around and keep on going..........and going............... :)

Yep, that's it! Get your Energizer Bunny groove on!

Yes, we are all in this together so everyone better do it.

As in, "If I have to, then EVERYONE HAS TO?" :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

susies1955
12-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Anglia,
YES, if I have too... :XX: .......everyone does and I want photos for proof. :rofling:
I just casted on normally. I hope that is ok. By normal I mean knit cast on. It sure is big. I did two rows and it looks like it is about 9" long. Whew.
Susie

Angelia
12-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Wow...how many stitches per inch do you have already? To save your yarn, you might re-cast (since you haven't done that much yet) using fewer stitches. See how many makes about 6 inches.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-30-2005, 12:23 AM
sisie, you might want to test your gayge bt knitting withOUT turning... that willgive you a mroe accurate reading of youe knitting in the round gauge. When you get to the end of the row, just slide your work down tot the tother end of the needle, strand the yarn loosely across the back, and continue knitting.

Angelia
12-30-2005, 12:34 AM
Dammit, Hildie, you are a genius! That's great advice!

susies1955
12-30-2005, 05:34 AM
Thanks Angela and Hildie. I will start over and use less for cast on and knit by NOT turning. :)
Susie

Julie
12-30-2005, 04:20 PM
I just had to jump in and say....

I ordered my Tubey yarn today :cheering:

VickiIL
12-30-2005, 05:25 PM
I just had to jump in and say....

I ordered my Tubey yarn today :cheering:

I did too...Now to wait....Isn't that the hardest part? I decided on Merino style and I have some laying around so I will swatch some of it up while I am waiting. :cheering:

susies1955
12-30-2005, 05:28 PM
I put my message in the wrong place so ignore this. LOL
Susie

heartknits
01-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi! this is my first post on this forum, looks like a friendly group. Can I join you all? I've been wanting to knit Tubey for my first sweater as well. Looks like one of my swap buddies on another forum might be getting my yarn for me as soon as I tell her what I want so I'll be ready soon! :thumbsup:

Angelia
01-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Welcome, Rebecca, to the forum and to the Tubey KAL! :waving:

Angelia
01-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Well, I posted this in my blog, but I suppose I should post it here since THIS is the Tubey thread!

I have my yarn (KP Merino Style), have successfully knit my gauge swatch, and already have about 6" knit on the shrug bit. All is well--I mean, what can go wrong with miles of stockinette except mind-numbing boredom?

Oh, here's my yarn. (The photo doesn't really do the yarn justice; check the KP site for better color.)

My MC is cinnamon, and my CCs are asparagus, hollyberry, cornflower, and nutmeg. I just may pick up another color when I go to the LYS tomorrow...depends on how frisky I'm feeling!

heartknits
01-03-2006, 01:40 AM
Thanks Angelia. Your colors look great!! I love the cinnamon. I've used the KP wool of the andes before but not the merino style. I didn't think it was the weight used for Tubey? Or is it one of those yarns that's borderline between 2 different weights? Since most of you are using it, that's what I'm assuming. I sent my wishlist to my swap buddy with my yarn on it. If she comes thru for me, my MC is Pine, with Frost, Iris and Storm for my CC's. I'm only planning on doing the striping below the bust like a couple of others have mentioned as I am also a bit over-endowed in my opinion. I can't wait to have the yarn on my needles!!!

aprildavis99
01-03-2006, 03:24 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

VickiIL
01-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Thanks Angelia. Your colors look great!! I love the cinnamon. I've used the KP wool of the andes before but not the merino style. I didn't think it was the weight used for Tubey? Or is it one of those yarns that's borderline between 2 different weights? Since most of you are using it, that's what I'm assuming. I sent my wishlist to my swap buddy with my yarn on it. If she comes thru for me, my MC is Pine, with Frost, Iris and Storm for my CC's. I'm only planning on doing the striping below the bust like a couple of others have mentioned as I am also a bit over-endowed in my opinion. I can't wait to have the yarn on my needles!!!

It is either a heavy dk or a fine worsted :thumbsup: But the important part is it knits up to guage for me (and it appears for a number of others as well.

Angelia
01-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Yep, just knit to gauge. :thumbsup: I got gauge with Merino Style using size 7 needles.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 05:43 PM
okay you convinced me! I'm doing tubey for the sweater KAL! yay! Now I have to read through this whole thread to see whos done what so far and how it looks!

Angelia
01-03-2006, 05:47 PM
Um, Hildie...these are 11 pages of no one knitting on Tubey until about page...um...10 maybe?

Oh--and this post makes page 12...so add one to the #s above...

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 05:52 PM
OH, :roflhard: Well, good, I don't feel behind then :shifty:

Angelia
01-03-2006, 06:01 PM

We have good intentions!

feltedknitter
01-03-2006, 06:50 PM
:cheering: :lol: :shock: :heart: :inlove: :thumbsup:
when do we start yah yah

Angelia
01-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Anytime--now! :rofling:

feltedknitter
01-03-2006, 07:04 PM
:happydance: :heart: :inlove: :cheering:
and the yarn quest begins

feltedknitter
01-03-2006, 07:11 PM

feltedknitter
01-03-2006, 07:17 PM

Vendie
01-03-2006, 08:54 PM
well, you'll be happy to know (yes you Angelia) that I have FINALLY ordered my yarn for Tubey...I'm going with KP Merino Style with the main body color in black and hints of asparagus and vanilla on the sleeves. Horizonatal stripes are not my friends, so I'm keeping them to a minimum!

Angelia
01-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Yay!! Loverly! Minimalist, yet with a hint of festivity!

But what I want to know is HOW DID YOU GET BLACK????

Vendie
01-04-2006, 07:34 AM
I guess it's back in stock?? I haven't gotten any emails yet about it being out of stock. :?? *runs off to check her email just in case* nope, no horrible messages yet! You must just be cursed poor sweet Angelia!

Angelia
01-04-2006, 09:18 AM
:verysad:

*whine*

But I wanted my MC to be black. And I just ordered stuff last Tuesday, and the website still said it wouldn't be available until March!

*end whine*

I'd order some right now, but there's no way I'm going to redo the mile of stockinette I've already done in cinnamon.

I'm pretty sure they hate me.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-04-2006, 12:41 PM
oh crap!!! that sucks!!!

FYI, I picked cinnamon as my main color at first becasue YOUR colors looked so preeeeeety. I did change my mind, but at least you were influential!

(not that this is supposd to make you feel better about the black...)

My yarn will be here 2morro!

candicane
01-04-2006, 03:20 PM
After much deciding and then changing my mind, I finally ordered yarn for my Tubey! I am using Andean Silk with Cinnamon as the main color and stripes of chocolate, slate and black on one arm only.

I contemplated stripes for the chest as bust enhancement would be beneficial for me, but wanted to keep the sweater as versatile as possible. At the rate I am going, I will change my mind again.

Candice

andshewas
01-04-2006, 04:10 PM
hi everybody,

i've been eyeing this sweater on knitty for a month now and trying to work up the chutzpah to do it - and lo and behold, this KAL is just the thing....

off to order some andean silk right now.... this color choice is gonna be murder. leaning toward slate as the mc, but that may change.

i already can't wait for the yarn to arrive, and i haven't even ordered it!

Angelia
01-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Hello and Welcome! :waving:

i already can't wait for the yarn to arrive, and i haven't even ordered it!

Oh yes, yes, I feel your pain. I long for yarn for projects I don't even know about yet.

Re your username: are you a Talking Heads fan?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HILDIE! I cannot belive you abandoned Cinnamon! Give it some love!

andshewas
01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
well, so much for the slate idea.

going with black, greens, browns, and purple.

now off to watch the mailbox.

Angelia: i am indeed a talking heads fan. same as it ever was...

Angelia
01-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Oh, Donna, that is going to look beautiful!!! :heart:

Burnin' down the house!

gimmesanity
01-04-2006, 06:18 PM
OK, I've ordered.

I'm going to use KP's Merino in coal as the MC, and stripes in Moss and Storm with touches of Nutmeg and Asparagus. I'm still iff-y on the asparagus, so I'll wait to see how all the colors work together.

Oh, and due to the increase $40 min for free shipping, I HAD to buy two hanks of Alpaca Cloud in Iris. :mrgreen:

Now, to get my UFO's finished so I can work on this sweater guilt-free.

~Sharon

Angelia
01-04-2006, 06:26 PM
Oh, Sharon, how unfortunate that you had to buy more yarn! :heart: comfort :heart:

All you peeps who are getting coal are making me really jealous. I might just have to sneak in an order and get the MC I wanted in the first place....

and other stuff to get to $40... :shifty:

CateKnits
01-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I need to get some needles so I can start! I have to write my philosophy papers first, though. :rollseyes:

Angelia
01-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Enabler speaking, not Lit prof: But, don't you need knitting to help keep you sane while you write about Kant?

Lit prof speaking, not enabler: Yes, finish your papers and make knitting your reward.

See what my life is like?

VickiIL
01-04-2006, 07:05 PM
:cheering: :cheering: My Yarn is here!!! My Yarn is here!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Angelia
01-04-2006, 07:36 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Porn? Where's the porn?

mintdee
01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Enabler speaking, not Lit prof: But, don't you need knitting to help keep you sane while you write about Kant?

Lit prof speaking, not enabler: Yes, finish your papers and make knitting your reward.

See what my life is like?

Ack that was scary hearing an enabler go non-enabler all in one post :shock:

(get the needles get the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needlesget the needles- I on the other hand do not have a problem enabling :roflhard:

CateKnits
01-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I can't fight this! It's a good thing my Tubey yarn is still in my trunk.
...I'm afraid I'm going to go get it, though. :verysad: I know I've got a circular, but I'm not sure it's the right length. I could at least swatch with it...

feltedknitter
01-04-2006, 11:04 PM
:shock: :shock: :lol: :rofling: :roflhard: :roflhard: :cheering:
today the yarn for the tubey ended
we chose stuff called soft twist by beroco
is it so cool I hope its ok the sweater will be for my daughter.
I would scan a picture but my scanner is not hooked up and I am too lazy to get from my knitting chair
ok HERe it goes
:waving:

feltedknitter
01-04-2006, 11:06 PM
ok can't spell
line 1: today the yarn quest for the tubey ended
my daughter and I went to an incredible yarn shop
bad bad bad

CateKnits
01-04-2006, 11:15 PM
So I broke my promise to myself that I would not start this until after my paper and went and got the yarn from my car. But it looks like it isn't meant to be, anyway, because I can't get the video for provisional cast on to work. :doh:

feltedknitter
01-04-2006, 11:20 PM
:frog:
I am sorry I hate computers sometimes

CateKnits
01-05-2006, 12:24 AM
I tried the crochet cast on. I hope I did it correctly, or I'm going to be really upset after miles of stockinette. :shock:

aprildavis99
01-05-2006, 12:36 AM
I started mine. I am about 4 inches along now. :happydance: :happydance: I already had my MC (KP Merino Rhubarb). I am off to order my stripe colors now. :cheering: :cheering:

gimmesanity
01-05-2006, 07:13 PM
My yarn has been shipped, my yarn has been shipped!!! :cheering: :cheering:

Now to sit by my window and watch for the mail.... ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 07:58 PM
yay! I got my yarn today!

Angelia
01-05-2006, 08:00 PM
Porn? Where is the porn?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 09:26 PM
???? about the sleeves...

What's the DPNs for? We're starting the sleeves flat, right...? Then we INCREASE tommake the bell shape... why bother with DPNs?

:figureditout: unless it's because for the smaller sizes the needles won't fit all the way wround a 16 inch circ? I'm doing the XL, and I'm pretty sure 70 stitches will fit around... hmmmm :??

CateKnits
01-05-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm doing a small and I don't know if they'll fit all the way around a 16 inch circular, but since that's what I'm using for the flat part, I'm going to try it and see what happens. :roflhard: I like the circular a lot better than my only size 8 dpns...evil cold metal things!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 09:39 PM
ewwwwwww. I hate metal needles. In fact, all my dpns are bamboo, and I avoid them at all costs.

CateKnits
01-05-2006, 09:55 PM
The 8s were the first I bought, I think, and the only ones I still have as metal. All my other dpns are bamboo, except for extra sets. I have four sets of 6s. :rollseyes: I suppose I COULD use this as an excuse to go buy bamboo dpns. :D

andshewas
01-05-2006, 10:00 PM
eww is right. i hate metal needles too...
i've got two sets, and i haven't used either! (they were hand-me-downs)
they feel really cold every time i touch them.. though, it was 4 degrees in chicago last month and that didn't help matters.

and hilde ~ i don't see why 70 stitches wouldn't fit around a 16" circ.
i remember making a bag on a 16" circ that had about 80 stitches around.
50sts for a small though would prolly get really stretchy... dunno...

and my yarn shipped today too! woo!
though i'll be out of town next week and will miss its arrival... but i'll have something to look forward to when i get home.

my on-the-plane project is socks! what's wrong with dpn's? heh!

CateKnits
01-05-2006, 10:07 PM
There's nothing wrong with dpns! I LOVE them! I think I will use this as an excuse to get some new ones. :D I just stretched out my flat bit and I don't think it's going to fit around the 16" circular very easily.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 10:16 PM
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :help: :help: :help: :help:

I FINALLY got gauge with merino styles with size 10s, but I HATE how the yarn looks :verysad: it's too loose.

I didn't like how it looks with 9s either, but it's better than 10s... still, i's a quarter stitch off from gauge.

i LIKE how it looks with 8s, but my gauge is a half stitch off.

:verysad: now what?????

CateKnits
01-05-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't know what. :shock: Make it a size larger with the smaller gauge? I guess that would be too much larger, though. I hope you figure it out! Let us know what you decide; I'm sure I'll have this problem sometime in the future.

Ingrid
01-05-2006, 10:31 PM
WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :help: :help: :help: :help:

I FINALLY got gauge with merino styles with size 10s, but I HATE how the yarn looks :verysad: it's too loose.

I didn't like how it looks with 9s either, but it's better than 10s... still, i's a quarter stitch off from gauge.

i LIKE how it looks with 8s, but my gauge is a half stitch off.

:verysad: now what?????

I'd make a bigger size.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 10:52 PM
:verysad: there is no bigger size :verysad:

Ingrid
01-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Make a bigger size. If you look at the pattern, it increases between sizes in the same increments. Just add another size worth of stithes.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 11:21 PM
:figureditout:

Why don't I just look at the size and cast on extra stitches in the in increments established to MAKE a bigger size!!!!

:figureditout:

thanks ingy :-)

Ingrid
01-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Wow Hildie! You ARE a genius! :thumbsup:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 11:23 PM
:oops:

the hilarious thing is that I think i suggested that to someone else earlier! :doh:

gimmesanity
01-05-2006, 11:27 PM
Hildie, now you have me worried that I might not be able to knit to guage. :shock:

Why isn't my yarn here yet???? I got the email that it was shipped THIS MORNING - that's like almost a whole day ago, and it's STILL not here....

~Sharon

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-05-2006, 11:46 PM
hehehe. you could give it a DAY you know.

heartknits
01-05-2006, 11:54 PM
I sure hope I don't have the same problem. I will also be knitting the largest size and have never used the Merino Style before. My fingers are crossed!!

Angelia
01-06-2006, 12:32 AM
Wait, what size needle did you use to get gauge using Merino Style, Hildie? I got gauge with a 7....is something wrong with me?! :shock:

aprildavis99
01-06-2006, 12:37 AM
I got it with 8's. Everyone is different. We all have our own personal tension. But because I am nervous about the size..even though the patterns says the largest size will fit me, I am skeptic. I may use Ingrid's idea and make a bigger size...just to be sure. :rollseyes:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-06-2006, 09:35 AM
nope nothing wrong with you... it's ME who is the wierdo!!!!

Angelia
01-06-2006, 09:49 AM
Well, yeah you are, but that's an entirely different topic! :rofling:

VickiIL
01-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Wait, what size needle did you use to get gauge using Merino Style, Hildie? I got gauge with a 7....is something wrong with me?! :shock:

I knit to guage with 8....I think Julie said she got guage with 8s as well. I think you will be fine. If that is the guage you knit at....that is the guage you knit at. Did you keep your swatch you could just double check or re-swatch if you are nervous about it. Or after you knit a few inches of your sleeve check your guage again.

Angelia
01-06-2006, 10:14 AM
I frogged the swatch... :rollseyes:

But the shrug portion I've knit won't help b/c it's in stockinette and the swatch I did was 3x1 rib. I do have gauge in stockinette, too, though.

Technically, for Tubey, you should do two swatches. I already had something in stockinette that I could measure; I just didn't have the rib swatch. And don't again. :D

volmel
01-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I wish I knitted prettier :(

CateKnits
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
I just checked gauge for the cross-back part of the sleeves. I know that sounds lazy, but, honestly, I think that's the only part that needs to be exact for me. If my rib ends up slightly off, I'd rather have that off than the other part.
But now I'm feeling like a weirdo. I got gauge with 8s using Andean Silk, which is thicker than marino style. :??

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
volmel, this is the perfect sweater to REALLY get better at knitting. It's the same thing round after round after round.... VERY good practice. :-)

volmel
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
I think you're right Hilde. I've noticed the last half is not looking so bad. I'm ready for the dpns now, which I've never done. (I always read DPNS as "Depends" in my mind) :rofling:

volmel
01-06-2006, 06:41 PM
Whew, those depends are a little more challenging to me than regular circulars, but I think I'm getting the hang of it.

CateKnits
01-06-2006, 07:39 PM
Anyone have progress pictures? :cheering:

gimmesanity
01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
The only pic I have is of me, full of woe, looking out my window wondering where-oh-where could the postman be with my yarn?? *sniff*

Angelia
01-06-2006, 08:28 PM
:heart: Hugs! :heart:

feltedknitter
01-06-2006, 11:45 PM
:XX: :happydance:
I finally did it I made the scanner work I hioe this works
the obsession was bad today I started knitting at a red light and did not realize it until my son yelled at me that I am not paying attention to the road

feltedknitter
01-06-2006, 11:47 PM
:XX: :happydance:
I finally did it I made the scanner work I hioe this works
the obsession was bad today I started knitting at a red light and did not realize it until my son yelled at me that I am not paying attention to the road

aprildavis99
01-06-2006, 11:48 PM
:shock: :shock: At least pull off to the side of the road first! The breakdown lane....that's the spot. :D

Angelia
01-06-2006, 11:50 PM
Lovely colors!!! I can wait to see them all knit together in Tubey!

And yeah, um, be careful at the redlights! :rofling: :rofling:

(Love the bunny avatar! :heart: )

CateKnits
01-06-2006, 11:59 PM
13.5 inches! :D

aprildavis99
01-07-2006, 12:00 AM

Angelia
01-07-2006, 12:26 AM
:shock:

Just how fast do you knit, Cate?!

CateKnits
01-07-2006, 12:32 AM
I figured it out once... :oo: I purl at about a quarter of the speed that I knit, though. Besides, this part is only 55 stitches across!

Angelia
01-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Yeah, but sheesh!

Of course once you've been working on something for a bit, it speeds up considerably. But still!

Maniac! :happydance:

volmel
01-07-2006, 12:54 AM
I do not like dpns
I do not like dpns
I do not like dpns
I do not like dpns

:doh:

heartknits
01-07-2006, 01:13 AM
lol, you poor dear.

feltedknitter
01-07-2006, 01:32 AM
what is dpns

Angelia
01-07-2006, 08:07 AM
double pointed needles--the kind used for socks or other small circular items.

Edit: you need dpns to do the Tubey sleeves

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-07-2006, 10:59 AM
DPNs = double pointed needles

I think I'm one of those wierdo knitters who purl faster than they knit. I've actually done a few hats and other "in the round" things inside out on purpose and flipped them around after finishing. It's easier for me to hold the yarn loosely for stranding while I'm purling, and stranding on the facing side (instead of on the "back" side"), and easier (for me) to keep the yarns from getting twisted. I love to purl! I was thinking about doing the boob-tube part of tubey inside out and purling the whole thing.

volmel
01-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Hilde, do you knit continental or English (throw)? I've learned to do continental and the purl seems a teeny bit slower to me.

Angelia
01-07-2006, 11:18 AM
:shock:

nanonette
01-07-2006, 05:09 PM
I've been lurking around KH for a couple of weeks now. Just started knitting a couple of months ago. I've completed only 3 scarves, a stocking cap for my DS. I'm now working on the easy poncho pattern from KH for my DD.

A sweater was the very last thing I thought I'd want to knit next (well, actually socks might be the last). BUT now all I think about is working on Tubey since I saw this thread! You ladies are VERY inspiring, and I think this may be my first sweater & my first knit-along.

I plan to place my first order with KP, too, for Merino Style today. I'm thinking of Coal for the main color with contrasting colors of: Tide Pool, Asparagus and Iris or Cornflower - can't seem to decide which one. If anyone has seen these colors in person and has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for starting this knit-along!! :cheering:

volmel
01-07-2006, 05:27 PM
I think I'm going to throw up. I messed up BIG TIME and I'm almost through with the first sleeve. I printed out the pattern and the first thing I did was to mark my size (small) all the way through. Well, the way the pattern is xs is at the beginning in parenthesis on some instructions and outside the parenthesis in other part of the instructions. Well, I accidently circled the second size in all of them, which means part of my knitting is in small and part of my knitting is in medium.

I may just forget the whole thing. I actually feel nauseated. I've got so much of it done.

:crying:

volmel
01-07-2006, 05:30 PM
OK, I'm going to bite the bullet and frog the whole thing :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: