PDA

View Full Version : OT: Brokeback Mountain

AidanM
12-17-2005, 02:20 PM
I just watched the trailer for this movie and I wanna go see it so badly!! :heart: It looks real sweet. It's not near as trashy-lookin' as I feared it might be, it looks like a genuine love story to me. Does anybody else want to see it as much as I do?!

earthchick
12-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Me! Me! I really, really want to see it but I'll probably have to wait till it's out on DVD. Waaah! DH and I hardly ever feel like we can afford a movie at the theater these days since that also means paying a sitter. Since I'm pretty sure this isn't one we can take the tots to! :shock:

Hope you get to see it sooner than I do!

CateKnits
12-17-2005, 05:23 PM
My roommate and I are excited to go see that!

KellyK
12-17-2005, 05:30 PM
DH makes me wait until "non action-packed" movies come out on video...but, yes, I wanna see it. I hear it's primed for awards!

sogrammatical
12-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Oh boy do I want to see this movie! I have been looking forward to it all semester and now it's not playing anywhere near me! Do you know if it's going to go to wider release soon? I may have to drive down to Boston.

My friends and I have gotten so worked up about it that we're starting to worry that it won't live up to the hype.

I can't wait to see it! It's going to be soooooooo hot.

CateKnits
12-17-2005, 05:32 PM
DH makes me wait until "non action-packed" movies come out on video...but, yes, I wanna see it. I hear it's primed for awards!

Define "action." :eyebrow: :roflhard:

KellyK
12-17-2005, 05:33 PM
OK - there were several unintended references in my post....I realize that now... :roflhard:

brendajos
12-17-2005, 05:36 PM
i am more interested in the definition of HOT actually....lol

i do want to see it and if i have to go see it at the art house because this conservative state just can't take it, i will boycott AMC.....and i see on average 2 movies a week. grrrrrrrr

they took their time getting Good Night and Good Luck here too though so i will wait a little more patiently i guess.....

:verysad:

btw....Narnia was wonderful!

sogrammatical
12-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Well. I think you can imagine what I mean by HOT.

I'm annoyed because I have TWO art-house movie theaters in walking distance and neither of them are playing the movie, plus the regular theater at the mall isn't showing it either. Usually those three cover the full spectrum of movies I want to see, but not so much this time.

When finals are over, I think I'm going to go visit a friend in Boston and we'll go see it in Harvard Square.

brendajos
12-17-2005, 05:46 PM
i don't MIND going to the art house....though it feels like i am driving all the way to illinois to get to the one here in town from my house but i don't think i should HAVE to for this one.....

sogrammatical
12-17-2005, 05:54 PM
I think the problem is it's still in limited release. I don't know when they're planning on a wider release. I guess maybe they're testing the waters and making sure homophobic middle America isn't going to start riots. I haven't really seen much advertising for it. I heard about it word-of-mouth style on the internet back in August.

From what I've heard, it's really good. A friend of mine out in Boston was planning on seeing it, but I don't know if he has and if so, if he liked it.

brendajos
12-17-2005, 06:01 PM
HEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MIDDLE AMERICA HERE!

hmph! hmph! hmph! hmph!

;)

sogrammatical
12-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Hahah!

Of course you're amazing, but I prefer my queer college-town. Even if it is currently NOT showing Brokeback Mountain. Grr.

KellyK
12-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Im in middle America, too, and unfortunately it's TRUE. Not so much around the big cities, well, at least Chicago, but in the more rural areas, well......lots of folks all over need to learn to pick their battles and worry more about what goes on behind their OWN doors and be HAPPY for those that know who they are and can find healthy LOVING relationships of ANY kind! (MHO!!)

Plus, I LOVE showtunes!! :mrgreen:

brendajos
12-17-2005, 07:09 PM
yeah well it is true but i hate being lumped in there too (i know no one here did!) and so i take on the redness of the square states as much as i can little by little. Eventually they will figure out the 14th Amendment protects ALL of us!

sogrammatical
12-17-2005, 07:49 PM
As a New Englander, I'm afraid I have a tendency to ignore most of the rest of the country. A friend of mine who's also queer lives in southern Illinois, and it's shocking, sometimes, to hear her stories of what it's like back home.

I think I'm going to stick to good ol' Massachusetts, the only state in the Union where I'm not seen as a second-class citizen, or worse.

KellyK
12-17-2005, 08:18 PM
:thumbsup: :heart: :thumbsup: :heart: :thumbsup:

Sara
12-17-2005, 09:30 PM
I think it's a combination of twitchy movie promoters and the "let's release it before the New Year in a limited fashion so that it can be nominated for this year's oscars and then release it widely". Apparently, they don't think our non-homophobic movie-going dollars are enticing enough.

humblestumble
12-17-2005, 09:41 PM
I'm not psyched to see it. But then I'm not for sappy movies to much unless theres a little comedy in there too. Interesting concept for a movie though.

CateKnits
12-17-2005, 09:48 PM
I find one sappy movie a year keeps me from feeling too disconnected from my inner girliness. For the most part, though, I like mindless and gory (DOOM was awesome!) or things that hurt my brain (Lost Highway is a good example of that). I don't see many movies as it is; my attention span blows unless I'm reading or knitting or doing something where my brain is active.

AidanM
12-17-2005, 10:28 PM
Hahah!

Of course you're amazing, but I prefer my queer college-town. Even if it is currently NOT showing Brokeback Mountain. Grr.
Which town do you live in? Sounds like a dream!

jelly
12-17-2005, 11:21 PM
i saw it today and i loved it

PSA - bring kleenex

sogrammatical
12-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Which town do you live in? Sounds like a dream!

Good ol' Northampton! It's actually pretty close to where our Amy lives. And we've got Webs.

benniesma
12-17-2005, 11:37 PM
I'd love to see it. It sounds so awesome. I read a great review about it here.... http://www.pajiba.com/

Carol_OH
12-18-2005, 12:37 AM
I cannot WAIT to see it!

And I'm sure the little movie theatre here in town will show it. Our college is quite gay friendly (yay for Oberlin!)

Mer
12-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Well, they're showing it in TEXAS, so you know that it's somewhat widely released! Of course Houston's a pretty big city. I'm not so good with sad movies in theaters, but maybe when it's on DVD I'll see it.

boyforpele13
12-21-2005, 04:38 PM
i had to investigate because i got all pissy when i thought it was in limited release due to content. i found out from a friend in CA that it's actually in limited release because there are no big companies backing it. There are only 69 copies of the film available for distribution around the entire country. The part about getting it in in time for Oscars is also true, though. Memoirs of a Geisha, although obviously a very different movie, is similar in that there are only 52 films available nationwide. Most of us probably will have to wait for DVD, unfortunately! Closest to me is 400 miles away. There is an updated release schedule at Official Site (http://www.brokebackmountain.com)

brendajos
12-21-2005, 04:48 PM
well COME ON! If my queens in Kansas saw it then the rest of us should be able to! I mean....have ya BEEN a queen or cared about a queen in Kansas? cuz....well it ain't perdy! :rollseyes:

boyforpele13
12-21-2005, 08:14 PM
I spoke too soon! The beautiful historic Tampa Theatre is showing it 01/9-01/12! YAY!

knitncook
12-23-2005, 09:35 AM
I haven't found a theater here that is playing it yet, either. And Pensacola is the kick off of Gay Days in Florida. We have a very open and friendly gay population. We aren't known too much for homophobia, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Or right. We are in the Bible Belt.

I want to see this movie so bad! I go to movies by myself. We started doing this when our first born was too restless for theaters. It was a way for both of us to go see a movie without having to deal with babysitters (or pay for them) The year we divorced and were living seperately (yes; I live with my ex, long story, but I still call him dh) I went to movies every weekend that the kids were with him. Now it is my way of relaxing. I go take in a movie by myself. No one eats my popcorn. No one has to have me take them to the bathroom. And, most importantly, no one talks to me during the movie! :D

Jeremy
12-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Plus, I LOVE showtunes :roflhard: :roflhard:

geminiwb
01-09-2006, 03:40 PM
OK, me and my SO went to go see this movie last night and I'm still all teary eyed. We both sat in the car after leaving the theater and wept, then got lost on the way home cause we could quite think. :shock:

For those who haven't seen this movie, it is a real tear jerker, but is something that should be watched. I lived in that area and grew-up during that time period (Jack and Ennis would have been one 8-15 year older than me). Kinda of a real shock to me, I sat there thinking, "WOW it realy was like that!!" Kind of like a movie that depicts how racism was in the mid-1900's, this move does the same thing for biggatry and homophobia.

Anyway, pardon me for reviving a dead post, but I had to get my 2 cents out there. Go see the movie its a good one!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

-Wes

Jan in CA
01-09-2006, 03:52 PM
No problem reviving the thread! I missed it! And I DO want to see the movie! I just checked and it's playing still in 8 theaters! Maybe this week sometime...

boyforpele13
01-09-2006, 04:14 PM
it just finally made it to 2 theaters local to me this week, i hope to make it this weekend. they update the theaters at the website as they change.

brendajos
01-09-2006, 04:24 PM
i loved this movie. I went to see it in KC last week with one of my queens. He didn't like it so much but i don't think he really appreciated even the artistic quality of it either. *edited to make sure i don't give anything away*

i just keep holding out hope for the world continuing to evolve. It always has and i have to believe always will. Eventually.....

benniesma
01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
I'm glad this thread was revived! I checked out the site for releases, and it's now playing in a theatre somewhat close to me. Now I just have to find a friend who might want to drive that far to see it!

Cristy
01-09-2006, 11:45 PM
My only problem with the movie is that it ruins my cowboy fantasy...cowboys can't be gay...(jk of course..)

punkhippiemom
01-09-2006, 11:56 PM
Just curious... I've read the short story, and was completely struck dumb by it... It was very intense and emotional, but not what I'd call a tear jerker... has anyone read the story and seen the movie?? Are the two pretty close?

feministmama
01-10-2006, 12:30 AM
SPOLIERS!!! sort of. scroll down if you don't want to have anything given away

not yet

not yet

OK so I haven't seen it, haven't read the book but I read a review and heard from a friend that one of the characters in the movie dies becasue he is found out to be gay. This pisses me off. Why do the gay characters always have to die in the end? why can't gay folks just have regular ole problems, fall in love, get divorced and have wacky comedies and live like straight folks? Is the lesson here that gay folks on screen is only OK if they die at the end? What is UP with that? Even Thelma and Louise had to die in the end. Any sympathetic character who is oppressed has to die. Million dollar baby, better dead than disabled. I mean really now.

If he doesn't die then ..well...nevermind.... :rollseyes:

brendajos
01-10-2006, 12:42 AM
spoilerish kinda thing here too...

it does happen but there is a point to it.

scowling
01-10-2006, 02:53 AM
what a beautiful and heartbreaking movie!

hedgehog
01-15-2006, 04:03 PM
UNBELIEVABLY BEAUTIFUL MOVIE!!

I didn't want to leave the theatre and all i could think about was whether or not i could sit through the next showing. I've never walked out of a movie wondering how soon i could see it again.

It was amazing. I always loved Heath Ledger but he is absolutely HEARTBREAKING in this. He's AS GOOD as all the critics are saying. Stellar performance.

And the movie is GORGEOUS in all senses!

Go see it... it's well worth it!

-hh

CateKnits
01-15-2006, 04:27 PM
I know this is going to be an unpopular view, but I didn't like it all that much. I guess with all the hype and everyone saying what a beautiful movie it was, I expected more out of it...

Spoilers, sort of.

Okay, so basically, it's the same as any other guys-cheat-on-their-wives movie, except that they were with each other. Yes, it's "different" because they're gay, but being gay does not make them different from other people - isn't that supposed to be the point? I'm not saying it was a bad movie, just not at all what I expected after hearing people talk about it.