PDA

View Full Version : You really should warn people about knitting!

knason4
12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
You all really should be ashamed of yourselves! All I did was pick up some yarn and knitting needles and try to knit! I didn't know that I was soon going to become obsessed with all things knitting! :XX:
I know what I am talking about because that is what happened when I started scrapbooking! Seriously, I now know what people mean when they say knitting is like eating peanuts. :D

dustinac
12-18-2005, 09:50 PM
:roflhard: this is so true dh will dare me to sit down..watch tv.. and not have my hands knitting and I can't do it :shock:

knason4
12-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Wow, you really have been busy! You got a lot of knitting done, I am sure that your family will be greatly blessed.

I didn't think it was possible to watch tv and knit but it really is! :shock:

dustinac
12-18-2005, 09:58 PM
Thank you I hope they enjoy them I BO my father's scarf today and was so excited I told dh now I can knit what I want :happydance:

oh yeah and especially if you have tivo or some sort of dvr that way if they say something that makes you go :?? you can hit rewind and catch it :D

rebecca
12-18-2005, 10:02 PM
Ahhh, I never knew knitting was so addicting...especially knitting SOCKS!!
Oh Boy, dust...u r gonna have fun, fun, fun knitting for yourself..I've been doing it since Sept and it's GLORIOUS!!!! :cheering: :cheering:

KellyK
12-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Yup....knitting is like crack and we are ALL enablers! :roflhard:

mintdee
12-18-2005, 10:21 PM
You know KK that is such an understatment. :roflhard:

I got addicted to knitting and then found the wonders of natural fibers. *aaahhhh

;)

benniesma
12-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Joiiiinnn uuuuuuus! Resistance is futile!

Ingrid
12-18-2005, 10:36 PM
Aaaahahahahahaha!!!! We've hooked another one!!

brendajos
12-18-2005, 10:37 PM
yeah i am such a yarn snob that it was everything i could do to force myself to buy the pretty tlc baby yarn that i did this weekend to start yet another afghan that will likely go unfinished!

natural is wunnnnnnnnnnnnnnderful

Julie
12-18-2005, 11:09 PM
I knew it was bad last week when I was waiting at the Kinko's counter and I whipped out a sock and started knitting. :roflhard:

itscryttle
12-18-2005, 11:15 PM
:roflhard: this is so true dh will dare me to sit down..watch tv.. and not have my hands knitting and I can't do it :shock: :roflhard: the same holds true for me!

vcuchica931
12-18-2005, 11:20 PM
haha Im addicted too!!!! I tried crocheting, but it didnt keep my attention like knitting did!!!! But i cant really watch anything unless i already know it, i cant listen and keep my stitches straight-i mess up all the time!!!

Angelia
12-18-2005, 11:50 PM
haha Im addicted too!!!! I tried crocheting, but it didnt keep my attention like knitting did!!!! But i cant really watch anything unless i already know it, i cant listen and keep my stitches straight-i mess up all the time!!!

Oh, me too. Unless it's garter stitch, I'm doomed....I am actually one of those people who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Jenelle
12-18-2005, 11:55 PM
there should be a KAA:

Knit-Aholics-Anonymous(I really hope I spelt that right :shock: )

:roflhard:

CateKnits
12-18-2005, 11:59 PM
My RA last year taught my roommate and me how to knit and now we like to curse her for it! Every time we go to the LYS, we have to add a "*&%^ Kate!" Hehe. Seriously, though, I'm so glad I learned.

..I can stop any time I want to! I swear!

Angelia
12-19-2005, 12:01 AM
..I can stop any time I want to! I swear!

SURE! :rofling: :rofling:

KellyK
12-19-2005, 01:05 AM
I knew it was bad last week when I was waiting at the Kinko's counter and I whipped out a sock and started knitting. :roflhard:

OMG I knit EVERYWHERE!!! I was knitting at the Osco Pharmacy a couple of weeks ago while waiting for my prescription to be filled...at the chinese restaurant waiting for my takeout, whenever Im stuck at a train, at the doc's office, of course, in the car when DH is driving, I sneak in a few rows at the end of my lunch at work.

Debbie
12-19-2005, 08:49 AM
I RUSH to Michaels and Joann's with my 40% off coupons to buy books and needles .... EVERY WEEK!!! I too thought this was an activity that would only require sticks and string. AND ... when I teach someone to knit ... I NEVER tell them what will happen ... no one warned me !

Ingrid
12-19-2005, 08:50 AM
I don't leave the house without my knitting bag, either. I once rolled a ball of yarn before taking my daughter to the emergency room. It wasn't that much of an emergency, just so you know. Over the summer I was at the dentist a lot and even he handed me my knitting bag between procedures.

Angelia
12-19-2005, 09:11 AM
When I had my MRI Friday, I really wanted to take in the sock I was working on in the waiting room. I thought the yarn might make me feel safe while stuck in that little hole....

The other night, the dh had to awaken me and unwrap the yarn I'd manged to get around my arm. The skein was up next to my head. I'm not sure where the knitting itself was...All I know is I was cozy cuddled up with my knitting.

And I do take it everywhere. I have a wee little bag that holds small projects like socks, and since I'm always working on socks, that bag goes everywhere with me. Even if I don't get in a single stitch, just knowing it's there is a comfort. I do get anxious without its presence.

Last night I sat down on the couch, and the dh actually said "I know you won't be sitting there long--you don't have your knitting with you." :oops:

knitncook
12-19-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't leave the house without my knitting bag, either. I once rolled a ball of yarn before taking my daughter to the emergency room. It wasn't that much of an emergency, just so you know. Over the summer I was at the dentist a lot and even he handed me my knitting bag between procedures.

This made me laugh. I know you said it wasn't that much of an emergency, but I can just see you saying, "Just keep pressure on it. I've only got a few more yards!" :roflhard:

I knit everywhere, too. Been doing so for quite a few decades. Hate to tell you, but it only gets worse. And in the past 5 years really cool people have started knitting. By that I mean people who make things other than scarves, hats, mittens, and sweaters. And when they do those things they are so fun to knit! I refuse to knit boring. If it is a "plain" pattern, it at least has to have interesting fibers or patterns.

ebrperk
12-19-2005, 04:48 PM
I CAN"T AND WON"T STOP!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't make me. I don't take my knitting with me because I am always herding my girls but I do take it to the dr's office and if hubby is driving somewhere.

Robin

tigger0229
12-19-2005, 05:04 PM
welcome to a wonderful world of knitting!

Ingrid
12-19-2005, 05:51 PM

This made me laugh. I know you said it wasn't that much of an emergency, but I can just see you saying, "Just keep pressure on it. I've only got a few more yards!" :roflhard:

Now, now. Had it been a real emergency, I would have brought the skein as is and asked someone else in the waiting room to hold it. :rofling:

Angelia
12-19-2005, 05:58 PM

Now, now. Had it been a real emergency, I would have brought the skein as is and asked someone else in the waiting room to hold it. :rofling:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

"Would you mind moving your IV over just a bit? I need to set up my ball winder. Thanks!"

benniesma
12-20-2005, 10:24 AM
That's why I love this site. It feels so good to know I'm not alone. :roflhard: :roflhard:

The other day Ben & Olivia were playing in the other room. Ben asked Olivia to do something and she said "In a minute. Just a few more stitches."

Angelia
12-20-2005, 10:44 AM
That's why I love this site. It feels so good to know I'm not alone. :roflhard: :roflhard:

The other day Ben & Olivia were playing in the other room. Ben asked Olivia to do something and she said "In a minute. Just a few more stitches."

Ahh, brilliant! Yay Olivia!! :thumbsup:

knitncook
12-20-2005, 10:45 AM
Sentences in this house tend to start with, "When you get to the end of that row......" Not sure what that is all about :roflhard:

Angelia
12-20-2005, 10:54 AM
Sentences in this house tend to start with, "When you get to the end of that row......" Not sure what that is all about :roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard:

The dh has begun starting his sentences that way...or sometimes, :heart: :heart: he'll just say "oh, you've just started that row, so I'll start dinner" or "I'll get the clothes out of the dryer."

I'm getting out of A LOT of work lately! :inlove:

nicolethegeek
12-20-2005, 11:19 AM
My kids know when to leave me alone too. If they're bugging me when I'm counting, I'll just start counting out loud. They know that if I start counting louder and louder they better run, 'cause once Mom's done countin', she's a'comin'!! :roflhard: When someone asks me to do something I'm ALWAYS saying, once I finish this row/repeat/needle...

knason4
12-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Ha ha, you all made me laugh as I read what you all had to say..!
I am sooo glad that I wasn't alone in this. I will be expecting lots of support and if I need to call at all hours of the day it is okay.. :cheering:

Angelia
12-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Ha ha, you all made me laugh as I read what you all had to say..!
I am sooo glad that I wasn't alone in this. I will be expecting lots of support and if I need to call at all hours of the day it is okay.. :cheering:

I just have to share this:

One of my former students has now started knitting. (She's been knitting since Saturday.) When we met yesterday for a knit-together, she already had the following in a wee tackle box:

*4 different size Boye needles and a variety of different cable lengths to attach
*a row counter
*some thingy to put on her forefinger to help keep the working yarn from sliding off (Clover makes it if anyone's interested--it can help "thread' four different yarns at once)
*stitch markers
*small scissors
*other gadgety things that escape my undercaffeinated brain
*3 different knitting books

After our knit-together, she went out and bought two more books and $70 worth of yarn.

She's been knitting almost non-stop since Saturday when she left the LYS. I told her to be careful on her joints; she says she's trying, but she also says she can't stop knitting.

It happens so suddenly, this addiction, that we are powerless to resist. Thank goodness for that! :heart: :heart:

KellyK
12-21-2005, 09:01 AM
CRACK! CRACK, I TELL YOU!!!

nicolethegeek
12-21-2005, 10:15 AM
CRACK! CRACK, I TELL YOU!!!
Crack is a cheaper habit and an easier one to break! With this you just keep getting more *** until your house implodes. Maybe that's why I started knitting... I had nearly everything for crocheting, and could do nearly all of it... I needed a new challenge with new toys!

knitncook
12-21-2005, 11:53 AM
The dh has begun starting his sentences that way...or sometimes, :heart: :heart: he'll just say "oh, you've just started that row, so I'll start dinner" or "I'll get the clothes out of the dryer."

How did you manage that one? Man, my dh would never do anything like that. It would never even cross his mind to take the initiative to start something without prompting! Hang on to this one, Angelia!

Pixywhispers
12-21-2005, 12:29 PM
knason4 Welcome to the club! <giggle>

I also knit when Dh is driving, while my kids play at the park, waiting for any appointment. We live in a tiny town and I always have kntting in the car. With our business I may get in the car expecting to stay in town all day and have to drive two hours away. So now I have hid in the diaper bag an extra pair of scissors and a needle. My girlfriends call it my "emergency knitting kit".

The other day at a long stop light I picked up a mitten to count to see which row I was on. MY ten year old daughter Julia said, "OH Mom, are you knitting at stop lights now?" It took a minute to convince her I was just counting rows. She recognizes the addiction.

Angelia
12-21-2005, 12:37 PM

How did you manage that one? Man, my dh would never do anything like that. It would never even cross his mind to take the initiative to start something without prompting! Hang on to this one, Angelia!

I wuvs him! :inlove: :inlove:

Now if I could only get him to understand the NEED I have for yarn, for the preciousss

I almost typed "yearn" instead of "yarn"...Wow. They are synonymous, though, aren't they?

partydiva
12-27-2005, 07:10 PM
I totally agree with this addiction. I am always trying to sneak in a hobby here and there so I bought my "learn to knit" kit with my 40% off coupon and hid it until DH was out of the house and wouldn't be able to see my struggles.

One weekend he finally went out of town and I was watching videos on this site until I could cast on, knit, purl, and then bind off. Even got fancy with the slip stitches too. Then he went out of town the next weekend too and I had completed one of the dishcloths from the patterns links. He was amazed.

So I tried to be a "knitaholic" and take my knitting with me. I tried to freeform something and it wasn't working for me so I casted on a bunch of stitches and just kept knitting. ha ha. I came back home form MD and left one of my size 8 needles at my mom's house. Well let's just say I marched into Joann's today and bought a set of needles with my 40% off coupon.

I bought some yarn yesterday from Michaels. I am gonna do the facecloths. I also was following the "clogs" knitalongs and decided that I had to have the pattern also, even if I had no idea what it was all about even felting. So this Saturday when I go back to Maryland, I am gonna get the pattern. The shop I called said they have it and so will I on Saturday. I will get the yarn after the pattern.

KAA would be nice, but also a warning label on balls and skeins of yarn would be nice too. I'm not necessarily knitting 24/7 but when I go to the craft store, I have to cover every inch of the section to make sure I'm not missing out on anything.

mks22300
12-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Knitting is very addicting. I have started taking it where ever I go though. I do take it with me when I babysit a couple of little girls. The youngest will ask, are you going to do your knotting now? I've started teaching the oldest one (and how fun that is, seeing how I'm pretty much a novice myself! :lol: ), but she's caught on fairly fast. We'll see if she keeps it up.
I'll find myself thinking while I'm at work that I can't wait to get home so I can work on my knitting. :D

Indygirl
12-27-2005, 07:57 PM
knason4 Welcome to the club! <giggle>

I also knit when Dh is driving, while my kids play at the park, waiting for any appointment. We live in a tiny town and I always have kntting in the car. With our business I may get in the car expecting to stay in town all day and have to drive two hours away. So now I have hid in the diaper bag an extra pair of scissors and a needle. My girlfriends call it my "emergency knitting kit".

The other day at a long stop light I picked up a mitten to count to see which row I was on. MY ten year old daughter Julia said, "OH Mom, are you knitting at stop lights now?" It took a minute to convince her I was just counting rows. She recognizes the addiction. Well you can't get a ticket for counting rows I guess :rofling: You guys are a hoot to listen to. I love to just check out what you are doing on here. It gives my fingers a break.

punkhippiemom
12-28-2005, 02:47 AM
Well you can't get a ticket for counting rows I guess :rofling: You guys are a hoot to listen to. I love to just check out what you are doing on here. It gives my fingers a break.

:roflhard:
Yup - But I will warn you, this place is almost as addictive as knitting.... I used to be a very sporadic internet user, until I discovered KH.... Now I have a blog and everything, and if I go two days without checking my email, I start getting antsy... :rollseyes:

I actually had DH telling the kids to be quiet while I was counting stitches (while knitting in the truck) the other day... he may be trainable!!! :cheering: