PDA

View Full Version : WHY can't I find these darn needles?

itscryttle
12-19-2005, 10:19 PM
I have the quick and jiffy wool yarn I made a scarf for my 12 yr old. But I was going to make her a matching hat and to my first project with circulars.

The patterns calls for size 13 circs 16"

ALL the ones I find are 29"

:??

So I if I did it with 29" with it make that much of a difference?

Ingrid
12-19-2005, 10:21 PM
You'd have to make it 29" around, for one thing!

You can do it with a long needle if you use magic loop. www.yarnware.com has a large assortment of needles and is quite fast.

itscryttle
12-19-2005, 10:24 PM
:roflhard: Yeah I don' t think her head is quite that big. Shucks.

I do have straight ones... but darnit I wanted to try something on circs.

Ingrid
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html

Here are directions for using magic loop, if you want to try that.

CateKnits
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
I've found that the only circulars in craft stores (Michaels, etc) are 29 inches. I had to go to a LYS to find any shorter ones. You could use double pointed needles!

itscryttle
12-19-2005, 10:45 PM
http://www.az.com/~andrade/knit/mloop.html

Here are directions for using magic loop, if you want to try that.oh cool thank you!

I've found that the only circulars in craft stores (Michaels, etc) are 29 inches. I had to go to a LYS to find any shorter ones. You could use double pointed needles!
Yup Michaels is where I was hunting.

aprildavis99
12-19-2005, 11:32 PM
http://www.yarn-shop.co.uk/knitting/addicirc.php

They have Size 13 16" circs at this website if you don't mind waiting for shipping. I bought from them before and I believe their shipping prices are quite reasonable...even for overseas.

vcuchica931
12-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Ben Franklin's carries size 13 16" circulars, if you have one of them around you.

Julie
12-20-2005, 12:02 AM
Do you have a JoAnn's near you! Ours just started carrying 16" bamboo circs a few months ago. I was so psyched....

wewantmore
12-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I'm in the same boat. Need size 7 on 16".

:doh:

Julie
12-20-2005, 12:08 AM
You can always get them from my boyfriend (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm) .....

nicolethegeek
12-20-2005, 08:45 AM
I get most of my circs at work {Wal-Mart}, we have 16", 24" and 29" in most sizes. I was actually quite shocked when I went to Michael's to get "something or other" and saw how pitiful their selection was.

brendajos
12-20-2005, 08:55 AM
HEY! When did he become YOUR boyfriend......hmph!

(is it sick that i didn't even have to click to know who you were talking about?)

I did get some 16" from Joann.com but i must confess that at some point i am going to replace those with addis too. the shafts just seem a little too short for me for some reason.

kemp
12-20-2005, 09:58 AM
:doh: I knew my wonderland was cheating...darn that perky Julie!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-20-2005, 02:24 PM
did you try Carol's site TaraKnits???? She has tons of needles!!!

Jeremy
12-20-2005, 05:14 PM
Look in the advanced techniques section here. Amy shows how to do magic loop in a video.[/url]

ebrperk
12-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Nicolegeek you must have a wonderful Wal-Mart. The selection at the one I shop at STINKS. I wish they carried more. I have interchangable needles now so it isn't such a big deal but it would be nice if they carried a better variety of yarn.

Robin

nicolethegeek
12-20-2005, 11:29 PM
Nicolegeek you must have a wonderful Wal-Mart.
Well of course it's a wonderful WM... they have ME working for them don't they??? :roflhard: Seriously though, I have to agree, the selection at WM SUCKS!!! Every time I turn around they are shrinking the entire department, and it seems that the crocheting/knitting/yarn/thread suffer the worst of it. The selection of "tools" isn't the greatest, but it serves me pretty well. More often than not, I can get what I need there. My biggest problem is that I don't care for the Red Heart brand of tools, I like Boye better for knitting, and can't crochet with anything else but Boye; of course my WM is one of the ones that carries RH and not Boye. I have to go to a different onehere in town for that. We don't have bamboo or anything fancy like the Silverlume, etc. I guess what I'd call it is that we have a "make do" selection. We don't have exactly what you want, but you can make do most of the time.

kemp
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
16" 13 circulars here and she's having a half off sale:

BoPeep
(http://bopeepswoolshop.easystorecreator.net/Browse_Item_Details.asp/Item_ID/252/categ_id/111/parent_ids/0,17,18,111/Name/16_Size_13)

itscryttle
12-23-2005, 11:23 PM
YOu know... I didn't even think too look at Walmart :thinking: I just assumed if Michaels didn't then the definitly wouldn't.

I haven't checked at JoAnns yet. I was going to go today but we got some snow and the roads are awful... and well I won't EVEN go into the traffic :shock:

wewantmore
12-24-2005, 09:38 AM
YOU got snow, where you live, IMPOSSIBLE! :rofling:

nicolethegeek
12-24-2005, 01:56 PM
YOu know... I didn't even think too look at Walmart :thinking: I just assumed if Michaels didn't then the definitly wouldn't.
Well I work there and I feggered the same thing! :roflhard: I was at Michael's looking for *something*... mebbe bamboo needles for socks :thinking: I was horrified at the selection at Mike's. I thought ours was bad! Granted they have a MUCH better selection of books and patterns, AND they have the Needlemaster, and *some* bamboo stuff, but other than that, you can basically forget it. The Mike's I go to carries both Boye and SB, but I'm more likely to find the needle or hook or whatchamacallit I need at work. I just wish my WM carried Boye instead of the dumb RH stuff.

itscryttle
12-24-2005, 07:47 PM
I FOUND THEM :happydance:

Joanns! Why didn't I just go there in the first place? No idea... brain fart I guess.

They are the bamboo ones... No 13 / 16"

Now I can do DD's hat to match her scarf.

AND they had angel hair yarn on sale 2 for $8

I resisted... I don't know how... but I did. I love th stuff but don't know what I would do with it. :??

itscryttle
12-24-2005, 07:48 PM
YOU got snow, where you live, IMPOSSIBLE! :rofling:I know right :roflhard: