PDA

View Full Version : JessicaKnits and misc question

wyoknitter
12-19-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi everyone ~

I've returned from warm Phoenix to cold Cheyenne....uck ! When we got home last night there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground.

In Scottsdale...JessicaKnits is a wonderful store !! Being a new knitter I don't have a lot to compare to ...but I thought it was terrific. Lots of samples ( heavy on scarves ) and a bright beautiful store. They had yarn that I've heard y'all talk about...like Karoke, Debbie Bliss, etc. I bought some orange ( well, peachy really ) yarn to make the Knits Pure and Simple Hoody and some Rowan DK tweed to make the Knits Pure and Simple V-neck pullover. I had a great time and they were really helpful !

I am wanting to do a scarf...that appears to be fairly simple but I'm confused about the directions. could someone please help?

The directions say to knit the first and last stitch of ever row...but then the row directions say:

Row 1
(K4,p4)to last 4 sts, k4
Row 2
(p4,k4)to last 4 sts, p4

does this mean I add an extra knit stitch on to every row....or do I in Row 2 knit 1 and then purl 3 at the beginning and purl 3 and knit 1 at the end? :??

Thanks so much for your help.

Laura

Ingrid
12-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Sounds like a lovely shop.

When a pattern tells you to knit the first and last stitch, but doesn't include those stitches in the pattern directions, they are separate. If you want the edge to look really nice, slip that first selvedge stitch and knit the last one.

So you'd slip 1 purlwise, then work the pattern stitches, knit 1

You don't have to slip the first one, but it makes the edge really nice.

wyoknitter
12-20-2005, 12:42 AM
thanks Ingrid !!

I appreciate the help.

BinkyKat
12-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Glad you liked that shop! I went there this summer. Yep, 110 degrees and buying wool in summer! I also got my Jordana Paige tote there. I was joking with the owner how my mom would lecture me or be nosey about how much I was spending on knitting stuff and she went to the back to get the tote instead of having me carry it from the front display near Mommy! ;)
She was very helpful with my yarn purchase as well. :heart:

Debbie
12-20-2005, 06:49 AM
Laura, If you put a marker after the first stitch and before the last stitch It will be easier to remember to do .... I don't know how many dishcloths I've made where the border has mistakes because of forgetting those first and last knit stitches that are not a part of the pattern.

wyoknitter
12-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Debbie,That's a great idea...thanks for the tip.

I laughed at your story BinkyKat....When I was in the store buying lots of yarn I was afraid my dh would come in from the car just when she was ringing up the total :D

Laura

kemp
12-20-2005, 11:50 AM
I'm so glad to hear it was a good store. We are off to scottsdale in a while and that is on my list!

knitncook
12-20-2005, 04:23 PM
It's just written oddly. I tend to see it written more like K4 *P4, K4* Repeat from * to end. or K4 (P4, K4) to end.