PDA

View Full Version : Addi Turbo Snobs??

knittingdoula
12-20-2005, 02:34 AM
It's getting to the point where it's all I want to use. I was enamored by bamboo until I tried my first pair of Addis .... and then there was just no going back. Despite the cost, I'm a addi addict. Anyone else trying to knit exclusively on Addis?

Julie
12-20-2005, 03:05 AM
:waving:

I totally adore them. I don't think I couldhandle paying full price, because I'm sooo cheap, but the $8-ish I usually pay through Jeff is soooo worth it. For a few yarns (like cotton!) I prefer bamboo, but I :heart: my Addis!!

misstialouise
12-20-2005, 04:34 AM
I use my AddiT's and Boye's for those projects I want to move quickly on. I like my Bamboo's for lacework, though.

Ingrid
12-20-2005, 09:04 AM
Big Addi fan here, too. I'm gradually increasing my Addi stash to replace my other needles. There was only one time I was unhappy and that was when I was knitting something that required lacy type work and I had to switch to another needle because they were pointier.

earthchick
12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Yes, I am becoming an Addi snob. The only non-Addis I use now are my dpns, which are bamboo. I have to say I am loving using bamboo size 3 dpns for my little mitten projects - I don't think I could keep the sts on the needles if they weren't wood!

But otherwise, I am completely, freakishly, in :heart: with Addi turbos. :inlove:

rebecca
12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
:waving: Another here! I wasn't until I found a more reasonable source...love, love my addi's!! 2nd to them would be Inox :thumbsup:

ecuzzacrea
12-20-2005, 08:51 PM
help a new knitter out!

what are these fabulous things? photos? links?

pros?

JENinIA
12-20-2005, 09:16 PM
Another Addi-Addict (do you think that is where the name Addi came from???) I have only been knitting since the end of October and already I have a preference! They are like satin in my hands. The first time I tried the bamboo- I really liked them over the aluminum- they just seemed so solid and I liked the weight of them, but then I met Addi-Turbo when I bought my first 12" circular set and will never go back!

carlaf
12-20-2005, 09:24 PM
ecuzzacrea,

This is where I buy my Addi's. http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop
The addi's are the smoothest needles that I've worked with. I wish I'd started using them from the beginning.

Carla-finally finished with the first semester of grad school and can knit :D[/url]

Carol_OH
12-20-2005, 10:35 PM
okay okay! "UNCLE"

I just ordered a coupla of these from Jeff.

Let's see what I think!!!

knittingdoula
12-20-2005, 11:48 PM
okay okay! "UNCLE"

Resistance really is futile, my dear .... :D

nicolethegeek
12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
:crying: :crying: I can't do mail order outside of Canada... and I just looked in my Ram Wools catalogue. :crying: :crying: Straights are $16, circs range from $20-$30 a pair. :crying: :crying: I don't even think "Santa" is *that* generous this year. He saw the price of the Japanese bamboo needles I bought, I really can't see *any* Addi additions soon. :(

Julie
12-21-2005, 12:41 AM
But Nicooolllleeeee....Jeff will ship them anywhere in the world for a mere $1.50... come a little closer

misstialouise
12-21-2005, 01:03 AM
But Nicooolllleeeee....Jeff will ship them anywhere in the world for a mere $1.50... come a little closer

Who is this Jeff and where can I order from?

I must say though, I have found an Aussie supplier that has Addi's at quite a reasonable rate :D

Julie
12-21-2005, 01:27 AM
Jeff (http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm)

:D

ecuzzacrea
12-21-2005, 01:37 AM
i'll have to check those out!

does this Jeff carry straight needles or just circular?

Julie
12-21-2005, 03:02 AM
As far as I know he just carries the circs. They ship from Hong Kong, but I've never had them take more than a week to get to me in the US. :thumbsup:

nicolethegeek
12-21-2005, 10:09 AM

He may only charge $1.50, but Canada Post will ding me big time. Canada Customs will charge me duty and GST on the items, and Canada Post will charge me $5 to collect those fees for Canada Customs. They are very inconsistent on how they assess this, but with it coming from somewhere other than the US, they'd probably be even tougher. With all the hidden fees and such with being a Canadian shopper, it's often cheaper to just pay the local retail rate.

brendajos
12-21-2005, 10:13 AM
sheesh julie...stop pimpin' out my needle man! if she doesn't get them from him then there are more for meeeeeeeeeeeeee!

(i swear i keep telling myself "Only the 16"...you don't need the others, Self, cuz you have those fancy interchangeables." but every time i come up with a new project i think...."Self, I bet Jeff has the perfect needles for that!"

so far i have been able to resist the urge......i fear i may give into it someday soon though.

rebecca
12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
:roflhard: :rofling: LOL, Bren, girl u r too funny!! I say that bc I sometimes say the same thing...then my 'real self' says "Becka, but u r not really stingy"...LOL!! But my :twisted: "I MUST HAVE ADDIS" evil self appears...she doesn't like to share...but Then the real me appears and lets others know about Jeff...WE :heart: JEFF!! As a matter of fact, I'm expecting 3 addi's any day now :cheering: :cheering: I was just looking at my "Addi List" and have gotten 16 sets of addi's from Jeff :cheering: :cheering: Soon I will have 16" & 24" of sizes 0-15 and 32" of several sizes....when I'm done...I will begin duplicating the ones I have....I'M ADDICTED TO ADDI'S :shock:

Julie
12-21-2005, 12:54 PM
I just ordered 2 more pairs....I order my 16" circs in pairs so I can use them for socks and hats. :D

I got my sister 3 pairs as part of her Christmas present...and my :twisted: self said, "tell her if she ever stops knitting you expect those back!" :roflhard:

wyoknitter
12-21-2005, 01:11 PM
So ~ just who is this Jeff person? Is he dealing in Addi's?? I need to know. A knitting addict needs to know all the dealers in town :D

Thanks for the info. I've only been knitting for about 7 weeks now but I really love the addi needles.

Laura

knitbebe
12-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Once I discovered bamboo, I was a changed knitter. :inlove: Such love and devotion toward my sweet bamboos-- I love the warmth, and weight of needles and the fact that my yarn doesn't slip off.

I haven't tried addi's ((yet!)) :thinking: Now you guys have given me 2nd thoughts....ummm....NOW I'm not going to rest until I try them. This board is such a bad influence! ;) How am I going to look my bamboos straight in the eye with thoughts of ADDI's running through my head!

:rofling:
knitbebe

Urban Knits
12-22-2005, 06:13 PM
I am glad I am not alone!
Ever since I discovered the addi turbo needles I don't want to use anything else. I am slowing changing all of my needles to addi turbos. If I am not using them, then I am using my brittany dbl needles.

Carol_OH
01-04-2006, 04:57 PM
okay okay! "UNCLE"

well I hate to say this to you all, but I DON"T LIKE THEM.

The shaft/needle is too short.

I'll stick with Susan Bates QUicksilvers or my fav Denise Interchangeables!

brendajos
01-04-2006, 05:50 PM
ummmm...will you be selling yours? :shifty:

Carol_OH
01-04-2006, 06:09 PM
hehee I may be - I'll let you know if I do!

brendajos
01-04-2006, 06:26 PM
lol that's okay. I must confess that when i first started using my denises i kept thinking that there was something wrong with them because the points kept getting in the way of my knitting. i had gotten so use to the shorter points of the addis that i couldn't figure out the longer ones on the denise.

we are getting along fine now! ;)

rebecca
01-04-2006, 06:41 PM
I like my Susan Bates & my Inox, too! But, the addis remain my fave :D Just got 3 more in the mail yesterday :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

jelly
01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
i just ordered a pair from Jeff

we'll see how long it takes to get to me in California

boyforpele13
01-04-2006, 09:25 PM
I am in Florida and I got my addis from Jeff in about 8 days, including weekends. Totally worth the wait for that price! Besides, I love being excited when the mailman comes. ;) I am in love with Addis, but I still like my bamboo and Inox, as well. I will most definitely be expanding my Addi collection with the knowledge of the jeffmeister. Ever since seeing that Knit Bit about rubbing your bamboo and wood with wax paper to increase slip, I really have a hard time deciding which to use! I still love my Brittany's, as well, ALMOST as much as the Addis.

Ronda
01-05-2006, 09:59 AM
I just bought my first pair of Addi Turbos. I read and read and read what you guys say on this website, and it sticks in my brain. I would have never purchased them from my LYS if it had not been for the things I heard here. OMG. I :heart: them! I plan on buying more. Now that I know about Jeff, that has just gotten a ton easier!

earthchick
01-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Ronda, that's what this site has done for me, too! - made me a total Addi addict and snob. :lol: I never would've considered using circs for flat knitting if it hadn't been for this forum. And then, b/c of this forum, I got the courage to finally start knitting in the round, too. Now I use my Addis for everything, except for small circular knitting that requires dpns.

parislexi
01-26-2006, 11:04 PM
The Addis sold by Jeff on Ebay - they don't look like they are the Turbos, right? Does he sell Addi Turbos ? :XX:

Julie
01-26-2006, 11:10 PM
"Addi Turbo" is a special line of Addi needles that is distributed in the US exclusively by Skacel. The needles that Jeff sells are definitely Addi needles, packaged to be sold in a European market if I recall correctly. I haven't been able to find any difference between them and the Turbos that my mom lent me (uh, mine now!). They are wonderful, wonderful needles. :heart:

Licensed2Cook
01-27-2006, 09:22 AM
I love my Addi's as much as the next knitter but...if you haven't tried the Inox Circular Greys you do not know what you are missing, these needles are the bomb. I am serious, now I am NOT talking about the shiny ones with the black cord, I am referring to the smooth teflon type finish on the grey ones that have a light cord like the Addi's. I like the shape of the tips much better for lace knitting and such.

Sadly though I do not know a "Jeff" to share them with you so you'll have to search them out on your own. They are priced cheaper than an Addi by a few bucks so if there was a "Jeff" for them he would be a very busy man.

Danielle
01-27-2006, 12:27 PM
I was checking out the wonderland man's turbos...I am always skeptical of auctions like this....He is registered in Hong Kong, but the location on the auctions says the United Kingdom...??? Has anyone ever had any problems? Another thing that crosses my mind with auctions like this is the possibility of fakes, but I don't think they would make fake addis though......He seems to have the best prices around, they are $15 - $20 around here. :oo: I guess that's just me being paranoid. The last time I dealed with someone in HK, I lost my $$ and never received the item.....

Julie
01-27-2006, 12:30 PM
I've bought lots and lots of needles from him...no problems, ever, they ship relatively quickly and and they are sooo nice. :thumbsup:

brendajos
01-27-2006, 12:35 PM
oy...i have never bought addis from anybody but him and i have a ridiculous number of them. Julie is right...they ship super fast for coming from Hong Kong (and remember that it wasn't sooooo very long ago that Hong Kong WAS England!) and he charges next to nothing to ship compared to so many others on ebay.

look at his reviews...they are all from different people...And why would you think that we would steer you wrong on here? sheeeeeeeesh! ;)

i am usually skeptical too. when i first ordered he had just come on under a new shop. i had heard of him before but that made me nervous. So i didn't order any more than what i was willing to lose in case there was something fishy going on. they came in a week.....faster than most domestic shipping! of course nothing is perfect...stuff does get lost...but i would say Bid with Confidence!!

JessicaR
03-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I'm resurrecting this because I want to be a addi snob! I figured if I'm going to take up knitting socks, hopefully the 2 circular method, I want the best! So, I got "Jeff's" website, but I missed why these don't say "turbo." But they are the same right? Should I get 16, 20, or 24s for the 2 circ method?

Kirochka
03-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I just gave in and ordered two Addi circulars (12" and 16") from "Jeff" today (check out the name you get on your receipt from PayPal... "Jeff" indeed! :D ). My rationalization was that I just made my first ever hat on the smallest circular in my new Boye Needlemaster set ( :cheering: !) and it's too big for either me or DH. Kelly said I should try Addis out first at a LYS, but did I wait? Did I resist temptation? No I did not! ;)

Can't wait to get them!

JessicaR
03-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Why is 24" less $ then 20"? That seems backwards to me.

DannahK
03-02-2006, 11:53 PM
I just ordered some addis from Jeff with a 40" cord so I can do two socks on one circ - the way I like doing them.

The best Addi experience I had was when I went to Unclaimed Baggage and got a thing of yarn and just so happened to have a pair of Addi Turbos stuck in the skein that they collected from the plane... FOR FOUR DOLLARS!!! Nina got the Addis, I got all the yarn... somehow I think she came out on top. I did get to knit with them, they were wonderful!

Julie
03-03-2006, 12:19 AM
Jessica, it depends on if you'll be doing two socks at once -- I do socks on 2 circs, but only one at a time and I find 16" to be perfect for that. Any longer would be cumbersome to me...but if I were doing 2 at a time I'd probably go with 24" needles. I do have some 24" addis and they are my faaaavorite needles. If I could only take one pair on a desert island, it would definitely be those. :thumbsup:

JessicaR
03-03-2006, 12:25 AM
I want to do 2 socks at one time because I've developed "second sock syndrome" doing one sock at a time.

Julie
03-03-2006, 12:27 AM
Ahhhh...but knitting them on two circs is effortless! I've yet to suffer from 2nd sock syndrome...and honestly, I think having two balls f yarn connected to my work would make me a little mental. :roflhard:

More power to ya, though :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
03-03-2006, 01:06 AM
I just ordered some addis from Jeff with a 40" cord so I can do two socks on one circ - the way I like doing them.

I thought he didn't have 40's! Do you have a link to the 40's?

DannahK
03-03-2006, 01:47 AM
erm... maybe it was 60" because I am not seeing 40's now...

quirky
03-03-2006, 09:12 AM
I am coming in a little late - but oh yeah I am an addi snob.

After I purchased my first pair I practically abandoned all others. I hate the way everything else feels. Wood and bamboo seemed like such a huge improvment over aluminum but now they just feel like sticky bits.

As for the cost - so well worth it. Even at full price.

HeatherFeather
03-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I just got the Addi Bamboo...o h m y g o o d n e s s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are freaky amazing...a smidge less expensive....

I have the Boye set...and if it is something "important"...I am finding that I am not using it...and it seems as if EVERYTHING is important these days...

Kirochka
03-03-2006, 10:47 AM
"Jeff" has sent my Addis, according to a message I got this morning! Can't wait to see if I'm destined to become an Addi snob too! :cheering:

Ingrid
03-03-2006, 10:51 AM
I love Addis. I want to put that up front. However, I just had a bad experience with the size 17's. They don't have a regular cord, but rather a tube connecting the needles. Not a good idea. The yarn was difficult to slide around over the tube, and in fussing with it, the tube cambe out of the needle--essentially broke, because I can't get it back in. I had purchased two for working on two circs, and it happened on the second set, too!

I will return them--but I don't want replacements for these particular needles.

Just a heads up.

quirky
03-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks a bummer Ingrid. I had been curious about that tube!

HeatherFeather
03-03-2006, 10:57 AM
I saw those tubes...and thought how cool......and THANKS for the heads up!!! :) will take note..

brendajos
03-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I love Addis. I want to put that up front. However, I just had a bad experience with the size 17's. They don't have a regular cord, but rather a tube connecting the needles. Not a good idea. The yarn was difficult to slide around over the tube, and in fussing with it, the tube cambe out of the needle--essentially broke, because I can't get it back in. I had purchased two for working on two circs, and it happened on the second set, too!

I will return them--but I don't want replacements for these particular needles.

Just a heads up.

well it is good to know that my feeling about that tube was right! though i am not sure that was the feeling i had. i actually just thought the tube didn't look right to me! bummer though because all the 17s i have found have a really pronounced jump between the points and the shaft which makes them a little obnoxious too! :rollseyes:

brendajos
03-03-2006, 10:59 AM
"Jeff" has sent my Addis, according to a message I got this morning! Can't wait to see if I'm destined to become an Addi snob too! :cheering:

:happydance: i just got a package of TEN of them in the mail from him this week. Now i am equipment ready to make socks......the question is whether or not i am mentally ready! :rofling:

JessicaR
03-03-2006, 11:00 AM
You guys are so bad! I'll be ordering mine tonight :lol:

DannahK
03-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Resistance is futile, you will be addi-simulated!

JessicaR
03-03-2006, 11:05 AM
I guess it's my own fault, like an overeater going to a bakery saying "I'm just going to look!" :doh:

geekgolightly
03-03-2006, 11:51 AM
do the 15US have this tube?

also, whats the best length for making a long scarf lengthwise. i dont want to get one TOOOO big

what circ have you found that works well in the larger diameter sizes?

brendajos
03-03-2006, 12:04 PM
the 15s do NOT have the tube. I think i made a length wise scarf on 32" or 29"....but i wasn't looking to make a 6' long scarf either. I don't remember how many stitches i cast on...somewhere over 100 stitches anyway.

HeatherFeather
03-03-2006, 12:24 PM
what circ have you found that works well in the larger diameter sizes?

I really like my 13's....:) is that what you mean?

DannahK
03-03-2006, 12:33 PM
My size 15 Denise work wonderfully... and so do the size 17 clover bamboo I have...

For large projects like an afgan or throw, I usually use my Denise with several connectors, and I get the largest diameter - so I'd guess it ends up being a 40 or 60 inch circ... hard to manage until you get several rows on it, but I hate feeling cramped.

JessicaR
10-03-2006, 01:51 AM
It has gotten WAY to easy to spend money online. I just bought and paid for a new pair of Addi's #13s in less then 2 minutes. Bad, very bad.