PDA

View Full Version : Socks on a 12" Circ?

knittingdoula
12-20-2005, 02:37 AM
DPN's were giving me fits, as was trying to knit two simultaneously on a long ol' needle. So I tried a pattern that requires you to use a size 2 12" circular. (I'm using Addi Turbos.)

Has anyone else done this? I like it - the tension is a bit tight, which I'm not thrilled with. Perhaps I should have another go at DPNs? I'll let y'all know what I think.

Who else does their socks this way, and has it worked for you?

Thanks.

Alison

aprildavis99
12-20-2005, 02:53 AM
I have used the 12" circs for hats and now trying for sleeves. I like it just fine. Maybe the stitches were tight because you were nervous. Try again. Maybe it will be better now that you are a bit less anxious over it.

Julie
12-20-2005, 03:10 AM
Rebecca will be here soon to rave about her 12" circs :mrgreen:

Ingrid
12-20-2005, 08:58 AM
I've used 12" circs, and once you get used to them, they're fine. You're knitting may have been tight just because gauge is often tighter for circs.
Being able to use dpns is a good skill to have, though, and once you get them going they're easy.

I'd think that socks on even 12" circs would be awfully wide, but I have no experience with this--just a thought.

kemp
12-20-2005, 09:46 AM
I like DPN's and circs about the same for socks. I've never really noticed a problem with tension when using 2 circs though. One nice thing about the circs is that it makes it a lot harder for a needle to slip out (which sometimes happens with dpn's)

rebecca
12-20-2005, 06:13 PM
Rebecca will be here soon to rave about her 12" circs :mrgreen:

U r so funny :roflhard: :roflhard: I use my 12" circs for knitting scarves, etc in the round, I don't use 2 for socks. I have 16" & 24" addi's & Inox for when I hope to learn knitting socks on 2 circs ;) .

knitncook
12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
I'm one of those rare creatures that loves dpn's! They do take some getting used to, but once you get used to handling all those needles at once (which in actuality you are still only handling 2 needles at once, you just have to figure out where to put those other two needles around your fingers). I just wish they would make dpn's a bit longer. Sometimes when doing hats I could use an extra inch or so on each needle. It also really impresses people when you are knitting on 4 or 5 needles. "Wow, she must really be a good knitter, look at all those needles!" :roflhard:

CateKnits
12-21-2005, 12:04 PM
I love DPNs, too. ;)

knitncook
12-21-2005, 12:15 PM
Cate, I have to tell you that I love your picture! It reassures me that I am not the only person that tries their socks on with dpn's still sticking in them! :roflhard:

rebecca
12-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Oh, please don't get me wrong...I, too LOVE :heart: :inlove: :heart: LOVE my dpns ;) !! I just want to learn different ways to construct socks, I bet dpns will remain my fave as far as sock knitting goes. I like knitting in the round any way it's done, I think :D

CateKnits
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Cate, I have to tell you that I love your picture! It reassures me that I am not the only person that tries their socks on with dpn's still sticking in them! :roflhard:
I was knitting that one up and school and my dad wanted a picture...I thought he might find that one amusing! How will I know it's gonna fit if I don't try it on?! Hehehe.