PDA

View Full Version : SNB Happy Hooker?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-20-2005, 10:36 PM
Anyone checked it out, yet? I think I'm getting it for Christmas. (or, if I don't, i'm buying it on the 26th)

ecuzzacrea
12-21-2005, 01:41 AM
i've been crocheting a bit and i'll probably get it.

i have the 2 knitting books and i like those a lot.

humblestumble
12-21-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm definitely going to get the book, but I was under the impression that it's only on preorder right now. I read about it a LOT at craftster.org

feministmama
12-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Check it out. I found Debbie Stollers PhD thesis on Dissertation Abstracts:

TITLE Captured in pictures: The image of the sex object and its influence on power-related perceptions and behaviors
AUTHOR Stoller, Deborah Susan
DEGREE PhD
SCHOOL YALE UNIVERSITY
DATE 1989
PAGES 83
SOURCE DAI-B 50/11, p. 5382, May 1990
SUBJECT PSYCHOLOGY, SOCIAL (0451); WOMEN'S STUDIES (0453)
DIGITAL FORMATS 2.86Mb image-only PDF

That women are often portrayed as sex objects in images has been well documented. Feminists have suggested that such images convey the message that women are submissive and are subordinates to men. The current study investigated whether images of men or women as sex objects communicate to viewers information regarding dominance and submissiveness. It was also tested whether exposure to such images would influence subjects' perceptions of their own and of each other's power, and affect their exhibition of dominance-related behaviors. With exposure to same-sex models portrayed as sex objects, viewers were expected to demonstrate a decrease in their feelings of power while exposure to images of opposite-sex models as sex objects would result in an increase in feelings of power. In the study, pairs of male and female subjects viewed either sex object or control images of men or of women. Following exposure, subjects interacted with each other, and their behavior during the interaction was analyzed for the extent to which they engaged in behaviors associated with dominance. Subjects also completed a number of questionnaires to assess their perceptions of the images and of their own and of their partner's power. The results of the study provided partial support for the hypotheses. Women who were exposed to images of female sex objects behaved more submissively in their interactions with men, and perceived men to have more power, than did women who viewed control images. Women perceived the female sex objects to be submissive and found the images to be degrading to women. Men showed no effects following exposure to sex object images, and no effects were observed for subjects exposed to images of males as sex objects. The results are discussed in terms of their implications for efforts to reduce the potentially negative consequences exposure to such images may have for women.

jodstr2
12-21-2005, 02:05 PM
it's avail on Amazon now (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0761139850/qid=1135187925/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/104-9948978-7574314?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

interesting find, Lori. wow.
Women perceived the female sex objects to be submissive and found the images to be degrading to women.
her paper talked about images, but still... with that book title and the term 'sexy art of crochet'.. might she want to attract mostly male readers... or could it be that she's trying to turn away female readers? or have her views have changed since 1989?

rebecca
12-21-2005, 02:08 PM
I don't think that this book will even get me to crochet! I have a "Learn to Crochet" kit and a book of crochet blocks & instructions and I just can't get into it! I think I am a knitter and not likely to ever be a crocheter ;) But that's ok, bc I love the knit ;)