PDA

View Full Version : wool care question

boyforpele13
12-22-2005, 12:19 AM
When you have a yarn that is like 25 or 50% wool, I know it's usually washable, but do you still have to worry about moths and such when storing?

Thanks!

Ingrid
12-22-2005, 12:23 AM
I have tons of wool, I have never seen a moth except hanging around the porch light. From what I gather, and I could be wrong, but you just don't read much about moths getting into wool.

boyforpele13
12-22-2005, 12:29 AM
That's kinda what I thought, too, but I still hear people warning about it and talking of moth balls, cedar chests, and lint brushes. The thought has never even crossed my mind, but now that it's things I'm making myself, I'm scared! ;)

Thanks for your help, as always!

boyforpele13
12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
p.s. when i say "people" i think i really mean vickie from knitty gritty in a knit bit. she got me all freaked out! she said it's the larva that do it, not the live moths, but i still have never once had a problem and even before beginning to knit, i've had lots of wool and, like you, never a single problem.

Ingrid
12-22-2005, 12:31 AM
To be honest, I'd rather take the risk than have my sweaters smell like moth balls. I have a cedar lined box, but when you take something out of it it smells so strong, I would never wear it anyway! I've heard that moths like wool that's old and dirty, though, too.

boyforpele13
12-22-2005, 12:33 AM
yes, vickie did say that. she said just to clean it when it needs it and also said since it's the larva, that a lint brush periodically will usually do the trick. i wonder if something only 25 or 50% even qualifies as wool anymore or if the synthetic fibers turn them off.

Ingrid
12-22-2005, 12:37 AM
I don't imagine they'd want a blend. Must be yarn snobs, themselves! I remember reading somewhere that a woman was given some yarn from a friend that had the larvae in it. There were all kinds of suggestions of how to get rid of them--freezing, washing, etc. All I could think to say was to throw it out for crissakes!!

It may depend, too, on the climate, etc. of where you live.

But I guess that since they do exist and it is a possibility, warnings should be given to cover all the bases.

boyforpele13
12-22-2005, 12:41 AM
omg, i'd never be able to touch a ball of yarn that ever had larva crawling in it! where would they go if you froze it? BLECH! i'd have to soak it in bleach and throw it in the dryer on high for 20 hours to even consider it and i bet then it wouldn't be yarn anymore. ;) i'm all skeeved just thinking about it, having visions of knitting with little things jumping on my fingers! ACK!!!! throw it out indeed! i'm going to have bug nightmares tonight, i can tell already. ;)

CateKnits
12-22-2005, 12:43 AM
i'm all skeeved just thinking about it, having visions of knitting with little things jumping on my fingers! ACK!!!! throw it out indeed! i'm going to have bug nightmares tonight, i can tell already. ;)
Me, too. :shock: THANKS, INGRID! :mad:

:heart:

Ingrid
12-22-2005, 12:47 AM
:roflhard: Sorry guys--but they wouldn't jump. They'd crawl, like slugs. Mwahahahahahahha!

KristiMetz
12-22-2005, 01:17 AM
I lost a precious sweater once to what I assume were moths.

My mom bought it in Scotland for me... it was a beautiful light blue sweater, it matched my eyes. It was a little scratchy, so it must have been pure wool, ha ha ha.

Anyway, I had it in my dresser and after being stored there for probably a year or so when I took it out it had holes in it.

Can we have a moment of silence for that sweater? It was beautiful, but it was really just a very special gift. Too bad I didn't take better care of it!

All I could think to say was to throw it out for crissakes!!

LMAO Ingrid!

jessi_9783
12-22-2005, 04:45 AM
I think this has a lot to do with where you live. Here in KS, I think you have to be kind of worried about this. Moth eaten clothing isn't an epidemic or anything but it happens somewhat often here if you don't take preventive action. My mom has a cedar chest and I agree with Ingrid the smell is strong and I wouldn't wear something straight out of it without letting it air out. You could use eucalyptus or lavender sachets in your closet and dresser drawers to prevent moth damage.

aprildavis99
12-22-2005, 05:16 AM
i'd have to soak it in bleach and throw it in the dryer on high for 20 hours

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

margie
12-22-2005, 07:28 AM
We had a moth problem here once. This was before I was knitting, thank goodness!! They started in an open bag of birdseed that was in our attached garage and got in to the house from there. All I can say is GROSS. I can deal with moths themselves, but the larvae- :shock: