PDA

View Full Version : Blocking question

distracted_knitter
12-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Salutations knittin nation!!!
I have just about finished my very first scarf ever!!! So excited!!!
But I keep hearing about blocking and all i know about it is that it reshapes and resizes the knitting. is that even true??? if so can someone give me some instructions? Thanx!

KNIT ON.

InterNette
12-23-2005, 02:21 AM
There is a link on the basic tachnique page I think. I am using it myself on my scarf blocking. I am not sure how to make a link so I cant put one in here

Vendie
12-23-2005, 07:36 AM
I think this is it - I missed it the first time:

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATdiyknitter.html

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-23-2005, 07:41 AM
Congrats on the scarf!

Re: Blocking.... You probablly don't need to block it, since it's a scarf. (but DO if you want to try it out!). Blocking is one of those things that some knitters do ALWAYS, some never do, some only for certain things. I usually just block felted things (bags, clogs). Lace and openwork do need to be blocked. Sweaters--maybe (I don't bother, but that's just me)... hats, gloves, scarves, mittens.... nahhhhhhh (again, IMHO).

On the other hand, go! Block yourself out! :-)

Ingrid
12-23-2005, 09:38 AM
:rofling: (Block yourself out!)

It depends on what it's made of, too. If it's acrylic, blocking won't make much of a difference, but you could wash and dry it. If it's a natural fiber and you like it the way it is, don't block it. If you think it could 'relax' a bit, then do. It's really an asthetic decision, since fit isn't an issue.