PDA

View Full Version : How are your knitting needles organized?

KristiMetz
12-26-2005, 01:07 AM
Even though I just started knitting, I have about a million pairs of knitting needles because I bought a big lot of knitting and crafty stuff a fe wmonths ago.

I have no idea how to organize these so that they're easily accessible!!

I was wondering how everyone organizes their knitting needles, and if there are any suggestions for tools to help me organize mine? Is there some cool needle organizer thing that would help?

TIA!

Ingrid
12-26-2005, 01:25 AM
The best thing I've found for circulars is The Circular Solution--it keeps them organized and 'relaxed'. Just keep a sizer attached, and you're set to go. I have a zip up case for my straights, but the zipper broke, so I'm looking for something better in that department, too.

Julie
12-26-2005, 02:31 AM
I got one of those for Christmas!! :thumbsup:

Not quite as FULL as Ingrid's yet, mind you...but she's got a few knitting years on me. ;)

carollovesyarn
12-26-2005, 05:49 AM
I love how the hanger's bending in the middle from all the weight!

aprildavis99
12-26-2005, 06:24 AM
:shock: Looking at all those circs is making me jealous :mrgreen:

I want to buy more. "But honey, I need them. All the other knitters have them!" "If all the other knitters jumped off of a cliff, would you?" "Of course! There's probably a yarn sale at the bottom of that cliff!"

Angelia
12-26-2005, 08:59 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Ingrid
12-26-2005, 10:06 AM
OK, OK, here I post a picture for informational purposes and I get ridiculed. All I have to say to this is Neenerneenerneener!!! Get your own!!! :P :P :roflhard:

Vendie
12-26-2005, 11:05 AM
I was fortunate enough to win a Jordana Paige needle case during KH's 1st anniversary back in November. I really like it because I can haul it around with me during road trips, like to mom's house. But it is big so I couldn't take it on an airplane with me or something. It's got two compartments in it to organize how you want. I started out doing metal/non metal, but I now go short/tall. I liked using a flower vase before, but my needles were always vulnerable to animal mischief. I still need to do something with my circulars tho, now that I'm collecting more of those.

kitkat
12-26-2005, 01:09 PM
I have a wrap case I made for my straights. Unfortunately I really didnt factor in DPNS and how short those are, so those right now are in a pencil box. I have needlemaster and denise sets for my circulars, and other circulars, ADDI's, etc. are in their little bags. All of this is in a basket. It is about half as organzied as I would like.

Jenelle
12-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Maybethis (http://www.planetshoup.com/easy/knit/rollndl.shtml) will help? I think you can make it longer to fit more needles on it... I need to make one for my metal needles...

I think you could even use a variety of colors to color code it... like sizes or something. You could probably make one hangable too.:)

knitting4babybear
12-26-2005, 01:46 PM
I have one of these http://shop.com.edgesuite.net/ccimg.catalogcity.com/220000/225700/225770/products/9241045.jpg for circs.

I just put a rubber band around my straights. I haven't used them lately, so I'll probably get a JP needle box so they have a home.

jodstr2
12-26-2005, 02:21 PM
I have a craft box that's like a really simple fishing tackle box, and the needles are all in the bottom of that. the tray holds my stitch markers, point protectors, etc... the teeny stuff.

Jan in CA
12-26-2005, 02:35 PM
I want to buy more. "But honey, I need them. All the other knitters have them!" "If all the other knitters jumped off of a cliff, would you?" "Of course! There's probably a yarn sale at the bottom of that cliff!"

That is freaking hilarious! :roflhard: :roflhard:

rebecca
12-26-2005, 02:57 PM
That's an excellent idea, Jodi, I think I'm going to do that with my circs & dpns. Right now they are in a a very, very strong vellum type gift bag and it 's about to burst :shock: !! As for my straights, I have one set in a very pretty Fiestaware vase and the other set in a crystal looking picture and my Denises are on the bedside table.
So...I will add the craft box to my 'things to look for while on vacation'...I like to keep my dpns & circs in original packaging, so this will work well ;)

knittingdoula
12-26-2005, 04:49 PM
I think I might just order the Circular Solution .... my collection of circs is growing. Of course, I would feel a little better putting my Addis into a safe! :) Maybe I'll try and find a cute little container to display my straight needles. In bamboo, they're not too exciting to look at. Perhaps it's time to skulk through a thrift store or two in search of needles .....

I thought I would LOVE bamboo, and I'm not sure I do anymore. I like how the metal needles seem to "go" faster.

Right now, i have everything organized in a few drawers in my office, but I'm soon going to overflow, and I would like to be able to see everything at once. The Circ Solution is very organized, though I like things to be a little more contained. Ah well. We'll see ....

Alison

punkhippiemom
12-28-2005, 03:04 AM
:roflhard:
Organize? Do people really do that??? :??
:roflhard:

Angelia
12-28-2005, 08:36 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

Hey, sticking 'em in a jar is a step above where mine are--scattered about in my ever-growing stash pile! Thank the gods that the interchangeables come in a case already...

foldedbird
12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Mine are all over the place. I don't have one of those circ things that Ingrid has. I don't have many pairs of straights anymore. So, my circs are living in a big basket, all jumbled up. The knit check is never anywhere nearby.

wildforyarn
12-28-2005, 08:35 PM
Jodi, I read your post and I thought, that looks like a great idea, so organized.... then I read Rebecca's post and laughed and laughed. I have my needles organized JUST LIKE YOU, only not a glass jar, but a wooden thingy (yes, that is the technical term for it) on my dresser. Kind of like a vase, but made out of wood, would not hold water... like a box with the small end cut off. (If I were home I would take a picture). Anyway, Rebecca... I am sooo with you on the organization. :roflhard:

punkhippiemom
12-29-2005, 12:36 AM
:thumbsup:
And that's only the ones I can find.....Thank the gods that the interchangeables come in a case already... :roflhard: YES!!! All those little parts :help: there's no way I could keep them in one spot.... y'all don't even want to see (what passes for) my stash.... :shifty:

useratl
12-29-2005, 07:04 AM
hmmmmmmmmmmm . . .

I've devised my own curious system.

Hobby Lobby inspired.

They periodically put those wooden boxes on sale.

It occurred to me one day they'd be nice for needlework item storage. I bought a small one for crochet hooks, and this neat suitcase looking thing for my knitting needles. I bought a relatively small one for my little scissors, stitch markers, sewing needles, etc. I ended up buying a middle-sized one for my circulars, which I keep in their original plastic cases. I want to buy those identifier little tag things from Patternworks http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=300256&subject=U35&catpos=7.

benniesma
12-29-2005, 10:12 AM
I just found a great little solution at AC Moore last night for only $2. It's a wine box, like for giving bottles of wine as gifts. It's very similar to the Jordana Paige one, only there is no separator in it and it has pictures of wine bottles and grapes on the outside. It is a little short, so my long needles stick out. But it looks much better than the Winnie the Pooh mug they were in before!

jodstr2
12-29-2005, 12:06 PM
Jodi, I read your post and I thought, that looks like a great idea, so organized....

ohhhh, you haven't seen the other 243657893246597432652 things in my house :oo::roflhard:! I think that craft box is the ONLY thing organized in my life - at home and at work.

Ingrid
12-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I was just thinking that my circular needles and my yarn are the only truly organized things in my house. :rofling:

Racerkatie
12-30-2005, 10:31 PM
ok, this thread got me started .... which can be a bad thing because I tend to fixate on an idea and get carried away over-implementing.

I began designing in my little brain the world's most perfect bag to hold circular needles flat. :thinking: And THEN I thought .... let's go to a sporting goods store and look at fishing pole bags and see if one of those would work. I found round pole containers but no bags. BUT, what I did find are .... pst .... shotgun covers(!). They're inexpensive and long enough to hold 36" needles flat. So, buy some elastic and just stitch it in to create "slots". Five or six pieces of elastic 6" across would hold 36 or 40 needles.

Now, I could still be sick enough to make my own bag ... wouldn't be hard. Even thought of a way to knit one and felt it. But $14 and some elastic and maybe an hour of time to stitch it in, and you'd have a zippered case in which they could all lie flat. Now, somebody SHOULD be L'ingOL at my silliness, but ... I'll probably actually do one or another of these.

My straight needles were given to me in complete sets, years ago by my SIL who taught me to knit, so I am lucky there. They are in zippered cases. :D

humblestumble
12-31-2005, 02:07 AM
:oops: my needles aren't organized...

scowling
12-31-2005, 03:47 PM
I have a boye needlemaster set (best gift from my fiance EVER) that I've made into a nice little knitting set. I put my one other circular needle in it, some crochet hooks, needles, scissors, all sorts of useful things.

I have a clover folding case for my straight needles.

Carol_OH
12-31-2005, 03:52 PM
I used to put my needles in a pitcher - now I just purchased one of these beauties from a lovely shop on EBay - I totally recommend her work - she offers different fabrics and numbers of slots for needles.

http://stores.ebay.com/EHwa-Aprons-etc

carollovesyarn
12-31-2005, 05:21 PM
WOW :shock: Lovely case Carol! I knew you were collecting certain colors of needles - I'm so glad you posted a picture of them! They look like they've always 'gone' together in that case.

Here are mine (sans Denises and a few others) - this was supposed to be my basket that I can take out of the house, but I haven't decided how to store my needles, so this is an interim solution. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to keep them out of their cases or not. If I do keep them in a holder or something, then what do I do with the original cases? I hate to throw them away.

The yellow knitted holder was the first thing I ever knitted - just a rectangle of garter and stockinette, and then I hit on the idea of storing my first few needles in it. I thought I was so original at the time. LOL

wewantmore
12-31-2005, 06:57 PM
I made the one out of the Stitch N Bitch book. I don't normally sew. OK I never sew. But this one I had to make.

I need to make another one. I just got about 15 new sets fo needles for Christmas.

And my circ's are in a wine holder. :rollseyes: