PDA

View Full Version : FO's - Scarves, hat and hand-dyed yarns

dana_renay
12-26-2005, 12:40 PM
A few of my recent FO's - a scrunchable scarf for my grandmother in Malabrigo colorway Purple Mystery; a hat and scarf for my dad in Crystal Place Poof colorway Walnut (this yarn was a huge pain in the a$$ - it feels nice, but I wouldn't recommend it.)

I also made my first attempt at dyeing recently. The yarn is WOTA natural, done with Wilton's cake dyes. I am pleased with how they turned out, but they're not precisely how I planned them. I can tell it will take some practice to get reliable results.

Ingrid
12-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Very nice knitted work! Love the colors. And the dying!! Beautiful! :cheering:

Jenelle
12-26-2005, 12:54 PM
:inlove: Pretty colors! :inlove:

feministmama
12-26-2005, 01:19 PM
OOOOooooOOOOOoooopretty :heart:

feministmama
12-26-2005, 01:19 PM
So did you "paint" those colors on or what?

knitting4babybear
12-26-2005, 02:46 PM
I also made my first attempt at dyeing recently. The yarn is WOTA natural, done with Wilton's cake dyes. I am pleased with how they turned out, but they're not precisely how I planned them. I can tell it will take some practice to get reliable results.

*swoon*

That mangosunshinekumquat one is dee-licious. I'm serious. You should sell it. It's so lovely I can barely look.... :heart:

Yum.

rebecca
12-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Very nice!!! I love everything, I really love your yarn, did you dye it with koolaid by any chance....it's such vibrant & beautiful colors :D

Angelia
12-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Wow, the knit things look wonderful (loving the scrunchable scarf)!!

And the dyeing--wow! :thumbsup: What are you planning to knit with it?

KellyK
12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
WOWWWW! BEAUTIFUL!

dana_renay
12-26-2005, 11:23 PM
rebecca - I did not use kool-aid, I used a gel food-coloring type dye that's normally used to color icing for fancy cakes. The brand is Wilton's and I got it at Michael's (a chain hobby/craft store). I chose the cake dyes over kool-aid because there were more color choices and I read that the colors turned out more intense.

feministmama - I didn't really "paint". I mixed a little of the dye gel with water in plastic cups, and then I basically just poured one color on one part of the yarn and smooshed it around until most of it was absorbed, then poured on the next color etc. The colors ran together more than I wanted in some places, so next time I might try a different method.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I haven't quite decided what to do with these vivid yarns yet - I'd appreciate any ideas anyone has!!

itscryttle
12-29-2005, 09:57 PM
:inlove: oh I am in looooove!! I love the first one... Man those are MY colors!

usamacka
12-29-2005, 09:59 PM
LOVE THE DYED YARN! Super colors! Super job! ahh the knitting addiction!

Jan in CA
12-29-2005, 10:57 PM
Whatever your method the color is gorgeous! Love those scarves, too!

amy
12-30-2005, 11:35 AM
YUUUUUMMMMMMMY!!! :inlove:

partydiva
12-30-2005, 01:36 PM
I really really love those colors. Now I know what to do with all my Wilton colors that have just been collecting dust since I've started knitting. :cheering:

jodstr2
12-30-2005, 02:15 PM
:inlove: very pretty. great job!!! :inlove: