PDA

View Full Version : Dyeing cotton

bonniejean2
12-26-2005, 04:42 PM
I want to dye some 100% cotton yarn I have with Procion MX. My problem is that the yarn is this kind of disgusting flesh/tan/peach color. It was a nice tan/taupe but I machine washed it and it faded. So my question is...is there any way I can guess about how much that would change the color that I want to dye it to? I am looking at a Robin's-egg blue. Would it be advisable to dye it a dark color instead?

Thanks for any advise,
Bonnie in NJ

amy
12-26-2005, 05:33 PM
I wouldn't go for a robin's egg blue with that base, it's bound to turn out at least a bit green, and not as vibrant. Could be nice results, but won't be robin's egg no matter what you do, I'd say. Best luck would be to go for some kind of warm color shade: think reds, oranges, or other Fall colors.

Good luck, I hope we get to see pics of the finished product. ;)

bonniejean2
12-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Going with a warm shade makes a lot of sense. I love orange. I had made a cardigan from the yarn but hated it, ripped it all out and now figure I will make wash cloths out of it, experimenting and learning new stitches and patterns. That means the projects will get a lot of washing. Maybe I'll make a pocket book too.