PDA

View Full Version : 2006--The Year of the Sweater Week 11 UPDATE p45

Pages : [1] 2 3

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-26-2005, 11:34 PM
week 11 (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=134310#134310)

Week NINE (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=125817#125817)
Week 8 (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7177&start=615)

WEEK 7 pg. 41 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=118254#118254)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WEEK 5 pg. 38 (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110413#110413)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

WEEK 4 pg. 33 (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7177&start=480)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

week three p. 30 (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=101692#101692)

WEEK TWO p. 22 (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=97647#97647)

My original post is below the row of **'s :-)

WEEK 1: The year of the sweater begins!!
If you haven't already picked your pattern, do so this week. Plan on getting other notions or tools you need as well.

Read through your pattern COMPLETELY-- do you understand how it is constructed? Are there any techniques or stitches required that you don't know how to do--or need to practice? Use our search feature on the forum, and post questions here or in the how-to forum.

If you haven't decided on yarn yet, now is the time to get some. Remember you don't have to use the yarn specified in the pattern; you can substitute a different weight, color, etc, as long as you get the correct GAUGE. If you DO want to substitute yarn., make sure you get the correct YARDAGE (not necessarily the specified number of balls). YOu might also want to get extra, just in case, and be sure to checck your dye lot numbers.

Speaking of gauge... Knit a gauge swatch. You can do this before you buy the yarn, if your LYS has some you can try--that way you know how it knits up. See Amy's gauge guidelines here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) on how to knit your swatch and correctly calculate your gauge. If your gauge is off, adjust your needle size. This step is crucial to a sweater that fits correctly, so

don't skip it... Remember that a gauge that is off by a half stitch can turn into a discrepancy of several inches. And we don't want to spend three months on a sweater and have it not fit, do we??

Finally, take your measurements. Be HONEST with yourself. Make sure that the size you're going to knit will actually fit you! Measure your bust at the fullest part, while wearing proper undergarments ;-) You may also want to measure your hips and waist, if your pattern covers those areas.

Go through your pattern, and highlight or circle all of the numbers that apply to your size. (I think it's okay to make a copy if you don't want to mess up you're original)

To review:
Get your pattern, yarn, tools
Take your measurememnts
Knit a gauge swatch
Mark your pattern as necessary
Breathe! you're done!

If you're a picture-taker, take pictures of each week's progress--this will add to your gatification at the end of the process! :-)

Do a little bit each day-- you have until Saturday to complete your mission!
Good luck, and happy knitting!

Since we're all going to be hitting the end of the year clearence sales this week, I thought I would jump the gun on a new KAL for next year.

It will be an ongoing KAL, all year. Next December, you will be the proud owner of not one but FOUR handknit sweaters.... yes, YOU will own them, because you're going to knit them for YOU.

But I don't have time to knit for myself, Hildie!!!!! Yes you do! And something more than a scarf, too! This KAL comes with something special--a schedule and time line! We're going to spend 3 months on each sweater, doing a little bit each week. At the end of the year, you'll have a different sweater for each season!

The first sweater will start in January. You can pick your own pattern. Since we're going to be spending time on this sweater until March, this pattern should be a spring sweater--maybe short or 3-quarter sleeves. Some trends for spring are:
1. Neutral colors--shades of white and brown especially
2. Blue, Turquioise, Aqua
3. Eyelets
4. Polka Dots

Here is a link to knitting pattern central's (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/womens_clothing.php) page of "women's clothing." These are free! Or you can use whatever pattern you like that you already have.

In April we will start a summer sweater--okay it will REALLY be a tank top. This one will be special, though--you're going to design your pattern YOURSELF. Yes you can do it! Hildie will help you! You can pick any yarn you like--something cottony and airy would be good for summer--you'll knit up a swatch, and you will use your gauge and your measurements to knit a custom sweater, in the round, with very little seaming at the end. FUN!

In July, we'll start a fall sweater (cardigan?), and in October, we'll start a winter sweater--more details about those as we get closer!

Again, we'll be doing just a little bit each week---so let 2006 be the year you knit for YOU! The January KAL will start the first week of January, so be thinking about what pattern you're going to use. Each week you'll have a task to complete (kind of like homework!) They will all be reasonable, small amounts of work-- and the teacher won't give you detention if you're late! And the first week for each sweater is going to be the same: Decide on a pattern, buy your yarn and any supplies you need (i will always recommend knitpicks because their prices are great!!), knit a gauge swatch, and post all that stuff on the forum.

Of course, you can just do any or all of them--but wouldn't it be great to be sitting here in 12 months, with FOUR sweaters for yourself, and all ready for a new year of wear? Join us! We are cool! You know you want to! :-)

Uhm, and I say "we" and "us" but I really mean me :shifty: Don't leave me alone, i'm scared!!!!!! :shock:

CateKnits
12-26-2005, 11:38 PM
I'm in! But maybe not until the second one. I'm determined to finish my cardigan and knit Tubey before March! I don't think either count as a Spring sweater.
This is great idea, Hildie! ...and I hope you WILL help with the summer design. :P :heart:

knitqueen
12-27-2005, 12:00 AM
Oh I'm so excited!!! :cheering: :cheering:

This will give me motivation to finish Sitcom Chic (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTsitcomchic.html) from knitty.

I am doing it using Bernat Satin yarn, in a really neutral light beige color. I am so excited about this sweater and I am hoping that it will fit. It is a really nice, fairly basic pattern. I have the body up to the armholes finished, one sleeve finished, and the second sleeve in the works. It has raglan shaping at the top which I have never done before.

:XX:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-27-2005, 12:01 AM
well, shoot you can practically finish that one before this KAL starts!!! If not, though, then you'll be waaaaaaaaaaaay ahead of everyone else for a while... I'm thinking most people won't even start knitting until the second week!

KellyK
12-27-2005, 12:21 AM
YAYYYYYYYYYYYY!! One of the FIRST things on my list for the new year is my FIRST SWEATER EVER! I already have the pattern (#9724) (http://knittingpureandsimple.com/page2.html)and the yarn (#3322) (http://www.bernat.com/product.php?LGC=denimstyle).

WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!! Im there WITH ya, Hilde!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-27-2005, 01:05 AM
YAYYYY!!!! :cheering:

mintdee
12-27-2005, 01:14 AM
I am totally in on this one! I will be knitting Tubey not sure what yarn yet though.

The Design your own top has me a tad worried :shifty: I may get unexplainably sick that time :roflhard:

Great idea Hild!

wyoknitter
12-27-2005, 11:01 AM
I'm going to give it a whirl also....Probably in way over my head ( no pun intended ) but what the heck. I really like the sitcom.chic so think that will be my 1st one.

Thanks Hilde for organizing.

Laura

Lisa1216
12-27-2005, 11:30 AM
Oooooo I like that Sitcom Chic sweater too!! I may have to jump in on this one. I've never done a KAL before. This sounds like fun! :D
~Lisa

VickiIL
12-27-2005, 01:07 PM
:cheering: Yeah... That was my goal for this year...MY FIRST SWEATER....
I plan on knitting Tubey...Don't know if it qualifies as a spring sweater but I will be joining you!

foldedbird
12-27-2005, 02:13 PM
Hmmm this looks like fun. :shock:

Debbie
12-27-2005, 02:19 PM
I wish I wore a size 2 ....

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-27-2005, 02:51 PM
ROCK ON! I'm so excited that so many of YOU are excited!!!

Debbie, we *all* wish we were a size 2. :lol: HOWEVER, with designing your own (like how I plugged that in?) you'll be able to make something that is flattering to your figure whether you are a 2, a 12 or a 22. :happydance:

lisak
12-27-2005, 03:14 PM
This sounds great! What a perfect way to finally get over my fears and start a sweater! :cheering:

I was thinking about making the Sunset Pullover (http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50359220&yarnid=5420116) from knit picks. Has anyone ever used the Vacation yarn? I don't know what Tactel is and wonder what the yarn feels like. It looks like a straw hat!
Hopefully the pattern isn't too difficult either?

Jan in CA
12-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Ohhhhh I so want to knit a sweater! This is a great idea. I will be gone for a week in January and right now I'm sick and can't really focus, but I will be thinking of what to do. I love the one Kelly chose..hmmm..

melaniedc
12-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Oh! This sounds like fun! I've join the Sexy Knitters KAL and their first project is Grumperina's Picovoli (http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/picovoli.htm), which I think will work for both KALs!

Count me in and I'll try to keep up! LOL :roflhard:

misstialouise
12-27-2005, 06:33 PM
Might just watch this KAL, all the seasons are out of whack for me.. hehe.. Plus, I have lots of socks to knit this year :D

Jeremy
12-27-2005, 06:39 PM
I've never knit a sweater and want to participate. I've already looked at some of the patterns in the men's section of Pattern Central. Does anyone have ideas for patterns for men that would correspond to the four sweaters listed above? Thanks. :D

foldedbird
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I think the mudflap tank top from SnB would look HOT on you Jeremy! :)

amy
12-27-2005, 07:33 PM
Wow Hildie, what an exciting KAL!!! You are such a motivator!!
This sounds great!

Hmmm, now might be a good time to slip in some advice about Gauge, since I don't think I have a video on this important subject. When working on something as large as a sweater, gauge becomes very important. 1/2 stitch per inch off, and suddenly your sweater is 4" to wide or too small.
Soooooo, here are my tips for getting your gauge right...

1) You need to do your gauge swatch in the same way you'll be working the garment. Most sweaters are worked flat and require seaming. So, work your swatch flat, like a scarf. If you'll be knitting the sweater in the round, you need to do your guage swatch in the round, or cheat a bit, and simulate knitting in the round: details on that here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=90531#90531).

2) Do a FULL size gauge swatch for your sweater, cast on enough to generously measure 4 inches of knitting. It's a lot of knitting, I know, but it's worth doing it right! Save it to use in case you run short on yarn; once you know you don't need it, you can do what you like with it. Felting them can be fun, then you can cut them into circular coasters or flowers to embelish a bag, or whatnot. Anyhoo....

3) Do your swatch with the same yarn you'll be using AND the same needle type. I've found I knit at different tension with bamboo than I do with aluminum needles, and you don't want to realize this in the middle of your sweater as I once did. :doh:

4) I recommend working on your swatch only when you're warmed up from knitting something else for ten minutes or a half hour if it's been a while. Gauge can change dramatically when you're warmed up. It can also change dramatically if you're a new knitter, just getting the hang of things, so best for newbies to complete a few scarves (or equivalent) using both knitting and purling before doing a large fitted object, IMHO.

5) Once you've knit your swatch, this is how you measure it: measure out four inches of the relaxed knitting, and stick pins in to mark the start and end of those 4 inches. Mark those points first, and then count. This is how you get an honest reading. If you count as you hold up the ruler, it's tempting to stretch the knitting just ever so slightly to get the gauge your aiming for, and that's bad news. Your resulting number will be gauge over 4". If your gauge calls for stitches per inch, divide your results by 4 to get guage per inch. If you're off by 1/2 sts./inch, change needles by one size, if you're off by 1 st/inch, change by two sizes, etc., and THEN reswatch. (Ahhh, the joys of swatching! Don't hate me! :lol:)

knitqueen
12-27-2005, 08:00 PM
If any of you actually decide on Sitcom Chic from knitty, in the size medium there are some stitch count descrepancies that I wasn't sure what to do with. I've figured something out though and will share if anyone needs the info. I won't go into it now if it isn't necessary yet.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks amy!!!! I was going to do a big ole gauge lecture later, but now I don't have to :D

I like that sunset pullover! It's very light looking. I like the vacation yarn, too--I was actually thinking about using that for my summer project--but it woul dmake a nice light spring sweater, too!

Debbie
12-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Actually, I was thinking of how much faster it would be to knit a size 2 :)

foldedbird
12-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Amy, I have read that it's a good idea to also measure your swatch while it's hanging (like you would wear it) with some weights attached. Do you think this is also a good idea for garments?

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-27-2005, 11:46 PM
wouldn't the weights stretch it some and give an innacurate gauge?

foldedbird
12-27-2005, 11:56 PM
I think the weights are actually supposed to mimic the weight of the whole sweater and how it will pull down while it's worn.

I also saw this demonstrated on knitty gritty by Lily Chin.

amy
12-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Hmmm, maybe in cotton, or some other yarn that creates an especially heavy fabric. I've not done this myself. I'd worry about a stretched-out innacurate gauge, as Hildie says. I wouldn't think you'd want to do it with most wool sweaters. Maybe with cotton, or an object that is especially long and weighty? I'd like to hear more of what Lilly Chin's instructions were. Interesting thought!

Another good thing to do is to wash your swatch before measuring. Wash and dry as you would the garment, and measure it afterwards.

Hildie, sorry if this is all a lot of info early on in your KAL!
We can go back to drooling over potential projects now. ;)
...I think Mariah (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTmariah.html) is pretty cool.

foldedbird
12-28-2005, 01:16 AM
Maybe you're right! It does kind of seem like a weird thing to do.

My only other tip would be to remind everyone to take good measurments of your body before you begin. I say if you're going to go through the trouble to knit a sweater, it should fit how *you* like it. With your body measurements and your swatch, you can alter patterns to fit you best.

amy
12-28-2005, 01:19 AM
I didn't mean to dismiss the idea of weighting the swatch. Lilly Chin is quite a brain, so I'm sure there's something to it, just not sure what she had in mind. I'd love to hear more.

Great tip on measuring. :thumbsup:

foldedbird
12-28-2005, 01:25 AM
This is from diynet.com, a transcript of what Lily says during the swatch segment.

Correct Measuring of Swatch

Instead of measuring your swatch and your knitting flat on a table, why not get a more accurate picture of "the real world"? That is, you'd wear your sweaters in a vertical position, so why not measure the swatch and sweater upright as well?

This is known as a hung gauge, a method by which you let gravity take its toll. Use pushpins to place the swatch up to a corkboard, or use straight pins to fasten the swatch to a hanging towel on the towel rack. I've even taped the swatch up to a wall using masking tape or duct tape. Again, this emulates "real life," and the gauge may change in this position. This is the position use to match the dimensions of the pattern.

Weight With Clothespins
Sometimes it's not enough to let a swatch hang. If it's inelastic yarn such as cotton or silk or rayon, or if the gauge is on the loose side and the fabric is not firm, or if the yarn is very heavy and bulky, use clothespins along the bottom of the swatch to give a more accurate measurement (figure B).

Again, I don't know how much of this is true or not, as I've never actually finished a top. :oops:

I'm cool with whatever works, hehe.

Denise

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Another tip is to measure a favorite sweater or top rather than your body. If you have a top that fits the way you love, then try to make your finished measurements match that.

Jazzmatazz
12-28-2005, 09:43 AM
I've only made a sleeveless top knit entirely in the round. This Bob pattern looks okay for a beginner's top, don't you think? Has anyone made it?
www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTbob.html

I admit the gauge thing scares me. As I've said before, I don't even have a rain gauge.

KellyK
12-28-2005, 10:07 AM
OOH! I think you should do it, Jazz!!

foldedbird
12-28-2005, 01:13 PM
I think it's lovely.

KK what have you done to that poor dog NOW?

Jouf
12-28-2005, 02:05 PM
What a great idea. I'm in for this KAL! I just ordered some yarn I'm waiting for. But I plan it to be the blazery fringe one that Abi did here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6436&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=drops&start=0).

I just love it.

DotMom61
12-28-2005, 02:07 PM
Hilde --

What a fabulous idea!! I love it. I have long wanted to knit either Sonnet (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTsonnet.html) or Sitcom Chic from Knitty, or perhaps I should try Tricot (http://www.magknits.com/warm04/patterns/tricot.htm) again.

And, Ingrid, I love the idea of using a favorite sweater/top for measurements. I read that somewhere, too, and it seems really practical.

Well, this just may change the focus for my shopping trip to Wool & Co. this week. ;-) I'll need to pick out yarn for my sweater now!

MaryS
12-28-2005, 03:26 PM
OOOOH!

I'm really liking Bob, and I've had cotton yarn I want to turn into Blaze from Knitty.com one of these days too!

As far as gauge issues and hanging, I think I told this story once before, but it bears repeating.

I made a relatively long sweater jacket for DD - about midway down thigh out of Homespun (I know :rollseyes: - this is why I don't like Homespun anymore.) It was on rather large needles - size 11 I think - which isn't all THAT big for the diameter of Homespun. Measuring flat everything was perfect. I seamed the whole thing up, put pretty purple grosgrain ribbon on the buttonhole placket and lovely hand carved wooden buttons. Looked stupendous if I do say so myself.

DD is 5'2" and about 110 lbs. She put this beautiful FO on and......

Armholes hung about midway to her elbows, sleeves completely covered her hands with a couple inches to spare, and the length was closer to mid-calf than mid-thigh! :crying: :shock: :?? :rollseyes:

The fabric especially in Homespun was VERRRRRRYYYYYYY stretchy! :verysad:

She still loved the color and pattern soooo... using the same yarn (I know, why did I do this to myself :wall: :wall: ) I started over :figureditout: downsizing the needles by three sizes, reswatching, then rewriting almost the whole pattern to deal with the stretchiness of the yarn. It's ALMOST finished, but it's the project I HATE, and only work on when there's nothing else on needles (ie: hardly ever), but it will be finished someday, and DD asks about it occasionally.

So what happened to the first version of this sweater, you ask? :??
My SO's DD is 5'10", and a very "statuesque" build. She tried it on and it fit PERFECTLY!!! It was her Christmas present in 2004, and she wears it frequently, and it washes nicely. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
Of course this size small sweater turned into an extra-large! :rofling:

Moral of the story: if the item is extra heavy, long, or the yarn is apt to stretch a lot, do the gauge swatch to account for the weight of the finished garment. foldedbirds explaination of how to do this is good, and I think the book "Knitting in the Old Way" also explains how to do this type of swatch.

On a positive note: Homespun is the ONLY yarn I've ever had this problem with.

Happy Swatching :XX: :frog: :XX:

Mary

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 03:53 PM
That's one of the reasons I call it Homeshun!

MaryS
12-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Ingrid,

I know (now)! Me too!!!!

Mary

foldedbird
12-28-2005, 04:30 PM
I *hate* homespun. The feel of it makes my toenails curl.

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 05:00 PM
I *hate* homespun. The feel of it makes my toenails curl.

Perfect analogy!! :rofling:

foldedbird
12-28-2005, 05:07 PM
hehehe. I just unloaded the last of my stash of homeshun (except the bit that's tangled up with something else) on my unsuspecting mother in law. :rofling: :roflhard:

Hope she enjoys it!

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 05:15 PM
hehehe. I just unloaded the last of my stash of homeshun (except the bit that's tangled up with something else) on my unsuspecting mother in law. :rofling: :roflhard:

Hope she enjoys it!

:roflhard: :roflhard: I gave all of mine to my oldest daughter. She, for some reason, loves it, so she got a bunch for Christmas. I feel better knowing it's out of the house. :rofling:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-28-2005, 10:15 PM
WOW!!!! Bob, Tricot and Sonnet were *all* on my list. I finally settled on Hippy Chick (http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=800263&subject=&catpos=) from Patternworks. I want to shorten the sleeves to a 3/4 length I thinkknit it in Merino Style (http://knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420104) from Knitpicks, but I'm not sure of a color.... I like rubarb, cornflower, frost and honey. Ohhhhh decisions decisions!!!!!!!

amy
12-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Oh, these patterns are all so great! I LOVE :inlove: the Bob pattern! Jazz, I hope you do that one!

Denise, thanks! Okay, she says to do it with cotton or other innelastic yarn. Now THAT makes sense to me. Cool trick! Also makes sense for especially tall/long garments like Mary's that are just so darned weighty.

If anyone's looking for some yarn steals, I just posted a thread here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7256)about yarn.com's biggest sale of the year, which is this week, ending Jan. 2nd.

Angelia
12-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Oooh, this is exciting! I'm knitting Tubey in Merino Style, so that will work in TWO KALs. And the dh got me The Sweater Workshop for Christmas, and I've already fallen in love with one of the sweaters in there...that might be sweater two. I'm loving the choices many of you are considering, though--Bob and Sonnet particularly. :inlove:

Jeremy
12-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the tip Denise. I'm going to check out Stitch n Bitch. :thumbsup:

Jazzmatazz
12-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the link to yarn.com, Amy. I just got a heckuva bargain on a bag of Desert Garden for my Bob!

knitting4babybear
12-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Yay! I was just eyeing sweaters longingly.

I think I've decided on Tempting: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTtempting.html from knitty.....

I've been eyeing it awhile I feel like I can manage it. I'm WAY curvy, my waist to hip ratio is freakish at best, so this close fitting kind of sweater is what I always look for, but rarely find.

:cheering:

I'm gonna make my first sweater AND join my first KAL! I'm excited. I may lengthen the sleeves a bit on this one if I can figure out how, as I prefer a cap or a 3/4 to a true short sleeve - which this appears to me. I'm hoping it will be as simple as extending the pattern a few inches for the sleeves. *crosses fingers* I may do the same to lengthen the bodice if I need to. Crops don't work on me, and normal length slook cropped cuzza my hips.

Cool idea to make it progressive and several projects long Hildie. Awesome KAL...there's something for everyone in this one. :)

amy
12-29-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the link to yarn.com, Amy. I just got a heckuva bargain on a bag of Desert Garden for my Bob!

GREAT!

K4BB, that Tempting pattern looks awesome.

Angelia, I love the Tubey pattern too.

I can't wait to see how these progress! :happydance:

Angelia
12-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Join us in the Tubey KAL, Amy!!!

Knit the precioussss...the Tubeeeey!

lisak
12-29-2005, 04:25 PM
So when do we really need to have all of our stuff ready to go? Are we starting on JAN 1?! I am getting so anxious!! :cheering:

I've decided I am going to do the sunset pullover (http://www.knitpicks.com/books/books_display.aspx?itemid=50359), but I can't decide on a color! I also have a horrible sense of style so I need some help! And since this is more like a summer top, I don't have a swim suit yet so I don't know what will match! Oh the agony! :(

Ok, so here's me this past summer (pardon the no make-up face):
http://static.flickr.com/43/79039307_e4e0fdbfc8_m.jpg

And here are the colors I like:
http://static.flickr.com/38/79039306_824a3e2488_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/43/79039305_0e072d66d3_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/36/79039304_235b646672_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/39/79039303_95a17207a9_m.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/37/79039302_1e82b240f7_m.jpg

I like the orange, but I think that may be because that's what I can see on the finished product. This shouldn't be so hard!! Just tell me what I should do! :oops: Have I whined long enough?

and I know I should be making a springy thing, but I want to have this one for summer and I want to make my mom the Tempting sweater for her b-day in August. Hope that's not bad that it's not for me!

vcuchica931
12-29-2005, 05:01 PM
I also have a horrible sense of style so I need some help! And since this is more like a summer top, I don't have a swim suit yet so I don't know what will match! Oh the agony! :(

:fingerwag: Whats with the putting yourself down?! I don't want to hear anymore of it!

Your tank top in the picture is cute, nice and fitted for you, so I don't know what youre talking about anyways!

Yes, the official start date is Jan 1st, but i think the hw for the first week is just deciding what pattern to do and to get the materials needed...which everyone is already doing.

Did you want to make the sweater and then buy your swimsuit according to the color of the sweater or make the sweater according to what bathing suit you think you might get? The natural would go with anything, and i think the pink would too, because its nice and pale. But my fav. colors for the sweater are the orange and blue (blue's my fav color, but i dont know how it would look as the sweater. and it might be too bright)
Well there's my opinion. Good luck deciding!

lisak
12-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Thanks Shayla! :blush: I think I'm just so worried about picking one and then when it's all said and done it looking like vomit. :shock:

I do like the blue and orange too - it's so pretty. The orange just shouts the name of the sweater!

I am still pondering - I wish I could see them all knit up to decide! :rollseyes:

I guess I may have a few more days to ponder it! :??

Angelia
12-29-2005, 05:50 PM
I kind of like that wheaty color; it will go with everything! Oooh, it would look great with jeans and a funky summer-colored scarf!

lisak
12-29-2005, 06:39 PM
I like the taupe color too Angelia. I was thinking maybe it would be tooo plain, but you are right it would go with a lot. I am leaning toward the blue. It's so bright (I like the orange, but I don't think that color would look so hot on me!) Thanks for the input! :)

Jillle
12-29-2005, 07:58 PM
I think I may have lost my mind. I will be knitting my first sweater. I spent a boatload of $$ on the yarn. Noro Kochoran, Color No. 14. :shock:
Does anyone think this is totally crazy for a first sweater. I just cast on and am going for it.[/img]

wildforyarn
12-29-2005, 08:07 PM
Lisa, I like the orange too. I don't know if it is because I think it would go good with your tan and hair color or if it is because I can see the finished product!

I think I am also in for the KAL... have to pick my sweater now. I have been dying to do the ribbed cardigan... forgot the actual name of it, but there was a different KAL a while back for it. I love cardigans and want something versatile. Have some time at work.... going to check out patterns. Yea! I'm excited. Getting to actually knit for myself! :cheering:

Lady M
12-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Im really jumping into this feet first , only knitting for 3 weeks now , but you have to ge wet sometime. I just have one problem now and someone can help me with it.

I have lost 286 pounds in the last 4 years, but I am still a heafty hen.

I need a size 4x or 5x pattern to help hide my "sags" until I loose enough to have some resonstructive sugery.

If I can locate an ample pattern I will be so happy to knit sweaters with you all. I purchased 2 pattern books , Knitting in the Old Way by Priscilla Gibson Roberts , to see if I can make a pattern to fit , and Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie Stoller. Perhaps these will help.

If anyone has any ideals, I would appreciate it so much!!!

Anne

SkoXylo
12-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I wanted to learn to make sweaters and now seems as good a time as any. :D Now, if I could only decide between Peppermint Twist from Stitch & Bitch and Tempting II (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtemptingII.html). Decisions, decisions. I think I'm looking more forward to seeing all your lovely finished products than seeing my own. :roflhard:

Also, Anne, have you seen this book? Knit Plus-Size Sweater Wardrobe (http://www.yarnmarket.com/yarn/More_Books-Knit_Plus-Size_Sweater_Wardrobe-1647.html)

KellyK
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
It would be nice if they would include some pics of the inside pages on that book.... :(

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2005, 10:40 PM
Lady M, congratualtions!!!!!!!!!! That is *so awesome*. I totaly admire your will-power! I've lost 79 pounds over the last year (since the third week in January), but I still have lots of problem areas I'd like to hide too :-)

Have you tried Ample Knitters (http://www.ample-knitters.com/)? This pattern (http://www.ample-knitters.com/highmesa.html) might work for you. You might also want to look at knitting pattern central (http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory.php) and browse their patterns. Remember, too, to look at the measurements given instead of the size given. I'm a voluptuous lady myself :-) and I have to remind myself to do this all the time... and it's so frustrating to see that a pattern have directions for sizes small through 1x, and then realize that the 1x has a bust measurement of 40 inches :wall: Who has a 40inch ONE-EX bust??? sheesh! :doh:

ANYWAY, the sexond sweater we do will be a "custom sweater" which yu can tailor to your exact measurements. Perfect for those of us who have something to hide :-)

Glad you're joining us!!!!!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2005, 10:44 PM
ANYWAY, the sexond sweater we do will be a "custom sweater" etc

Yeah, that's hilarious. I left it there just for you, FG! :roflhard:

ANYWAY, Lion Brand has plus size patterns, too, LadyM. YOuc an check out their website here (http://www.lionbrand.com/).

SkoXylo
12-29-2005, 10:45 PM
I did manage to find this (http://www.countryyarns.com/graphics/asn1314b.jpg) image from the back and inserts. :thinking: It's fairly new (2001) so it might be available at a local store, what with the lack of pictures on the internet and all.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2005, 10:51 PM
OHH!!!! I have the plus size sweater wardrobe. It has a GREAT tunic pattern in it, and two other pullovers that I liked. I wouldn't reccommend the tunic for beginning knitters, but the others are very straighforward!!!!

I also have family circle easy knitting plus size knits. It has a few nie things in it, but I would'n t say it's a definite BUY. Get it from the library first.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2005, 10:53 PM
yes the blue tunic on the upper left quadrant, lower picture. :heart: that pattern.

Jan in CA
12-29-2005, 11:01 PM
I want to do this...does anyone know of an easy starter pattern? I don't mind circs and actually prefer them. I know I can go to KPC, but just wondering if you know from experience or whatever.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2005, 11:10 PM
I think a simple stochinette raglan pullover would be easiest. Check out Knitting Pattern Central (http://www.lionbrand.com/), and search for "easy raglan" or "raglan sweater" or "easy pullover". I'm sure you'll find something!

Lady M
12-30-2005, 12:42 AM
It's meeeeeeeeeee Again hehehe

What do you all think about this sweater as a first sweater? Will it be too hard????????

Anne
http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/party_featherlace_pullovr.html

mintdee
12-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Anne That sweater is so pretty! I couldn't tell you if it is easy or not but I think that it might be worth a try. If you get stuck there is enough videos and people that REALLY know what they are doing (me not being one of them :roflhard: ) that are more than willing to help. I would bet that you could do it!

I think that I may be changing my mind about tubey. I am loving this sweater (http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/merino-stripes-bellsleeve-pullover.html). :thinking: hmmmm... time to make up my mind I think :roflhard:

Lady M
12-30-2005, 01:29 AM
I was sitting here looking at it too and it is georgous, But for me I have to take bulk into consideration.......... im already round and wide enough to be adding BULK to my waist.......... Both of your choices are beautiful indeed.......... let us all know what you decide..........im going for the ribbon sweater and I ordered 2 patterns for some more sweaters that will fit me for the others we are soposed to do...........im getting prepared , even if it may take me ALL YEAR to get this one finished !!!

Hugs

Anne

Angelia
12-30-2005, 01:30 AM
Knit both! :twisted:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-30-2005, 01:06 PM
don't worry it won't take you all year to finish!!! I'm going to be the sweater nazi :twisted: Seriously, though, you'll just do a little bit each week, and you WILL have 4 sweaters finished by this time next year.

Anne, which one is the ribbon sweater??

How is everyone's sweater put together? Are most of us doing one that has a front and back knit flat and then seamed? Is anyone knitting in the round? If you sweater is knit flat and you want to change it to knitting in the round, we can do that (I'm not an expert on this though; mine usually work out by trial and error!)

Week 1 starts in TWO DAYS!!!!

Jeep_Girl
12-30-2005, 01:10 PM
Hildie - I don't have any yarn yet...

but my question is - how much time are you, the nazi, thinking about for knitting each week? I don't want to fall seriously behind but I already am since I dont' have any yarn :rollseyes:

foldedbird
12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
I think this (http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/picovoli.htm) is what Melanie and are I going to try.
It's knit in the round, from the top down.

Angelia
12-30-2005, 01:34 PM
I dont' have any yarn :rollseyes:

:shock: Do you mean for the sweater or in general?! :shock:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-30-2005, 01:40 PM
Jeep, the first week is going to be "get your pattern, your yarn and knit a gauge swatch" So the actual knitting of the sweater won't begin until the second week of January. I was thinking, roughly, of spending 2 weeks on each sleeve, 2 weeks for finisheding (that's one month) and then a month each for the front and back. Since we're wll knitting different patterns, in diffferetn sizes, it's hard for me to say "okay, let's all knit rows 19-57 for week three" Know what I mean???

Jeep_Girl
12-30-2005, 01:48 PM
Jeep, the first week is going to be "get your pattern, your yarn and knit a gauge swatch" So the actual knitting of the sweater won't begin until the second week of January. I was thinking, roughly, of spending 2 weeks on each sleeve, 2 weeks for finisheding (that's one month) and then a month each for the front and back. Since we're wll knitting different patterns, in diffferetn sizes, it's hard for me to say "okay, let's all knit rows 19-57 for week three" Know what I mean???

You mean you aren't going to monitor all of us individually and give orders?! :roflhard: :rollseyes: :roflhard:

Seriously - that all makes sense to me!

Angelia - I don't have any yarn for a sweater - still thinking about tubey....

HeatherHunter
12-30-2005, 01:48 PM
This is a great KAL! I'm totally up for the challenge! I have a seven month old, but will do everything I can to keep up. After looking at the first selection of patterns, I think I've decided on the "Spring Fling" short sleeved sweater. I really need those sleeves!!! lol

Heather

knitknut
12-30-2005, 02:28 PM
:XX: This looks fun, count me in! I've been wanting to make this one. Can't decide what color, though.

Angelia
12-30-2005, 02:30 PM
oooh, that's lovely! I like that red, myself!

knitknut
12-30-2005, 02:51 PM
Actually, I do too. It seems like everything I already have is red, white or blue or some combo of thereof. I need something different.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-30-2005, 03:29 PM
ooo knitknut, is that the argyle in relief from patternworks?? I just ordered that pattern too! :-) What about a light green? I think that woul dbe very spring-y

knitknut
12-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Good eye, Hild! That is the one. I haven't ordered it yet, do they take very long to ship? I want to get the yarn at my LYS instead of online to make sure I like the color and texture. Think I'll make it?

CateKnits
12-30-2005, 04:49 PM
I'm going to use Tubey for this one, since I don't really want to be working on THREE sweaters at the same time. Tubey is in the round, so my front and back will be done together. :D Now I need to finish my cardigan so I can get started on this one without driving myself nuts. :shock:

susies1955
12-30-2005, 05:31 PM
I hope to do Tubey:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTtubey.html
The zig zag sweater:
http://www.knitpicks.com/Projects/Projects_Display_Yarn.aspx?itemid=50374220&yarnid=5420103
The adult size for this one that I made for my grandson:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/465294739/516431960AZwtkp
and the fourth I'm not sure of yet. :)
Susie

swimmin_mama
12-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Yay! This is a great idea! I recently de-lurked myself on these forums so I may as well do my first KALs as well. :D

I'll check out some possible patterns after DS goes to sleep.

Lady M
12-31-2005, 12:43 AM
Hildie ~ I love that mesa cardigan you linnked me to ........... now Im wondering just what steater I will make........"" Gee Thanks "" heheheh

The ribbon sweater is here ....... http://www.straw.com/cpy/patterns/party_featherlace_pullovr.html, I have looked over this pattern and I think I can actually make this. The yarn for this project that it calls for is really expencive. What other yarns do you think would drape properly and look good without adding bulk and thickness to this sweater. I love this pattern and if I can make it and not have 100.00 bucks in the yarn, I would make several of this style for the summer.......... Has anyone got any clues ???

Leslie ~ Thanks for posting the great Pics of that pattern book. I think I will actually buy it at some point.

Anne..................=)

SkoXylo
12-31-2005, 03:38 AM
It's decided. I'm making Tempting II. Now if I could only pick what color yarn I want. :thinking: What do y'all think of coral (http://www.knitrowan.com/html/yarn_results_detail.asp?productcode=18476&groupno=18)? So many decisions!

Anne - I don't know a great substitute, but I do know an alternative. It looks the same pricewise, but I know Michaels carries it and runs it on sale all the time. It's Moda Dea's Ticker Tape. It knits for me at the exact same gauge (although it may not for everyone). It isn't, however, as shiny, but if you're considering making many of this sweater it might make a nice alternative. That is if Michaels will run it on sale now that I've said something. :roflhard:

Jouf
12-31-2005, 01:43 PM
Hilde, will I get in trouble if I say I cast on a sweater yesterday? I'm waiting for my fringe sweater yarn, and in the meantime I had this cheap acrylic that I'm trying out on this (http://www.lanagrossa.com/service/mdm/08_2005/index.html) for my daughter. Hope it turns out okay!

Well, the back's done - few errors here and there, but I think it's gonna be okay. Fast knit with all these holes in it!

Jillle
12-31-2005, 02:07 PM
Jouf-
I already blew it. I cast on my sweater already, plus i picked a winter sweater instead a spring one. :oops:
I'm bad a following directions I guess. :(

knitterma
12-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Ok, I think I've decided on Candy from knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTcandy.html). I really like the neckline and the design lends itself to chilly spring or winter layers. :D

Angelia
12-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Ooh, that's a lovely choice--and the versatility is certainly a bonus! :thumbsup:

WynnieG
12-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Ok... if this KAL doesn't cure me of sweater phobia, nothing will. Bless you, Hildy, for the timeline!! :notworthy: I never have been able to plan my knitter's 'wheel of the year' properly.

I received a copy of the Green Mountain Spinnery's book for Yule, and some of the sweaters are soooo tasty. I'm going to pick the easiest thing in there, and take a stab at it.

Problem: what qualifies as a "spring yarn"? I live in New England, and we don't have spring so much as 6 mos of winter with 2 of bad sledding, followed by tourist season. I'm leaning towards worsted (the old standard) - but the bulk of my stash yarn is currently heathered Barlettyarns. Now these are wonderful, natural worsted yarns - but a bit on the rough side to be wearing close to the skin. Usually good for outdoor gear (ie, hats, sturdy mittens, gansey gaiters for nordic skiing), or a heavy sweater.

I don't want to spend a lot of $$ on this first sweater, so does anyone have a knitpicks recommendation for a worsted that would be easy to work with? I'm not ashamed to use varigated. ;)

vcuchica931
12-31-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm joining the KAL as well...although its not really a springy sweater. I want to do http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTaccordion.html

I'm a new knitter, but i've been working on my first sock today with no problems whatsoever,(I'm using Silver's tutorial-that could be why-its sooooo good!) so i think im going to give the sweater a try, although I'm sure to have PLENTY of questions when it comes to the shaping.I also LOVE the Mariah sweater from Knitty.com that Amy mentioned; I want to do that one next.

I bought my yarn today, its LB Woolease b/c I'm a poor college student working retail-so i need to save for the slow winter coming up. Have any of ya'll used it for garments? I hope it works well. I wouldve done regular wool but i need machine washable stuff-I'm lazy.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-31-2005, 07:02 PM
BAD JOUF!!!! NAUGHTY JOUF!!!!!!
Just kidding! You're just going to make us all feel inferior :-)

I'm not sure how fast patternworks ships! I usually do the 2 day because i'm impatient ;-)

I was going to start a new thread for the first spring sweater, but maybe I shouldn't??

UHM, and since it *is* new year's eve, and I'm sure we'll all be partying, the directions and all will be up SOMETIME tomorrow, but probablly later in the afternoon ;-) I don't plan on going to bed until, like, 3am, and by THAT time I shouldn't be in a state that will be conducive to good forum etiquette.*

Yay I'm excited!

*this means i'll probablly be schnockered

Jouf
12-31-2005, 07:22 PM
No, this sweater will never make anyone feel inferior! I don't know what I'm doing very well with these yo's and decreases and what the heck to do at the sides. But I'm figuring it out too late. This will be a trial run.

Some of us, Hilde, have no life and will just be sitting here playing with yarn until the wee hours of 9 pm when the ball drops in NY. So if you get snockered and want to share any life insights, I'd sure appreciate the entertainment when I get up.

knitterma
12-31-2005, 08:07 PM
:happydance: I'll also be ringing in the new year at my needles ... hubby's at work and we didn't have anyone to watch DS so ...

WynnieG
12-31-2005, 10:16 PM
I'm buzzing along with my dpns this evening too, Jouf - so you're in good company. I'm loving how my sock is coming along. Now if I could just find something on the tube or the radio that's worth watching/listening to, I'll be all set!

Oh, and I vote a big :thumbsup: to any stream-of-knitting-consciousness that Hildy or anyone else would like to share in the wee sma's! Sort of envious, me - alcohol puts me to sleep. If I were to celebrate, I'd probably have to eat a couple of handfuls of chocolate covered espresso beans to have the same effect as champagne.

Unfortunately, they found it very hard to get me down off the ceiling the last time I did that, so I've been "cut off" from those little nuggets of heaven. :oops:

I hope everyone has a good time, and parties safe!

Jouf
12-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Well, happy new year, Wynnie and Knitterma!

Happy knitting! I so want to get through this wrap sweater cause I have a pile of yarn sitting here waiting for the next project!!!

I don't even watch TV when I knit. I sit right next to my computer where I take little breaks to check e-mail, other people's blogs, etc! Sick.

WynnieG
12-31-2005, 10:53 PM
I tried doing that... but I had to stop after I stuck myself with a metal dpn in the boob while power-googling Harry Potter patterns on crochet and knitting blogs. Got a little distracticated. :oops: Good thing mine are 100% natural, or I could have flown all over the room that day. :shock:

As it turned out, the bloodletting was for naught. No one had a pattern for Mrs. Weasley's sweater from the second movie. So a few months ago I began designing one myself! Connecting the crocheted sleeves to the knit bodice is proving to be quite the interesting debacle. I think I'm going to frog the bodice out entirely, and try again for the autumn installment of this KAL.
The sleeves are done, and look positively funky.

Happy New Year!

knitterma
01-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Ah, it turns out I didn't ring in the new year at my needles - but did so obsessing about knitting (reading these forums).

:happydance: Happy New Year All! :happydance:

Jazzmatazz
01-01-2006, 12:08 PM
Happy New Year Knit-folks!

I finished my sock yesterday and will finish a scarf today. Then I can start working on the sweater as soon as my yarn comes in the mail.

I didn't know power-googling could be so dangerous and painful... :shock:

WynnieG
01-01-2006, 01:03 PM
Yeah. There's a reason I switched to bamboo dpn's and birch straights. :lol:

Basically, every accident I've had while knitting can be attributed to metal needles. I once got a size 7 straight stuck in my calf at a stitch-n-bitch when I backed into my knitting bag. It was a clean puncture, and the skin flap pushed in perfectly so there was no bleeding - it was its own hydrostatic pressure bandage.

Oh, and I'm now bopping around my apartment with one completed sock on. Someone out there please tell me I'm not the first knitter to do this. *goes to finish its mate*

knitting4babybear
01-01-2006, 02:57 PM
I'm gonna be late - but I'm all in.

I'm having some yarn sub issues. I refuse to buy Debbie Bliss (which is what the pattern calls for) because it's too expensive. I also want a washable sweater....

Still trying to figure it out (any ideas? Any reason I couldn't sub a really soft acrylic I like - Bernat Satin - for Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran? I think both are worsted weight....). When I get the yarn I'll just rush the delivery.

KellyK
01-01-2006, 03:01 PM
Following Hildie and Amy's instructions, I knit my gauge swatch today. My sweater (Knitting Pure & Simple #9724 (http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/page2.html)) calls for 16sts/4in. On 9's I got 15 sts/4in, and on 8's I got 17. Since Bernat Denimstyle is not a stretchy yarn and I dont want this sweater to fit tightly, Im thinking I should stick with the 9's and allow for a little more ease. Yes?

jodstr2
01-01-2006, 03:04 PM
oooh. I wanna try Ribby Cardi and Klaralund. we'll see how fundage is first tho.

Angelia
01-01-2006, 03:15 PM
I love that sweater, Kelly! And yeah, it sounds like, given the yarn you're using and the fit you want, that the 9s are perfect. Yay!!!

I did my Tubey gauge swatch yesterday; all is well, and now I've got 4 of 19 inches done of stockinette for the shrug portion! Woo hoo! :happydance:

knitting4babybear
01-01-2006, 05:51 PM
Okay! I think it's gonna be Andean Silk in Chocolate...

:happydance:

I ordered some cotton for the tank. I hope it's enough. If not, I guess I'll just have some cotton. :D

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-01-2006, 06:44 PM
My yarn isn't here yet :verysad:

In case anyone missed the directions for week 1.

[quote="Hildegard_von_Knittin"]
WEEK 1: The year of the sweater begins!!
If you haven't already picked your pattern, do so this week. Plan on getting other notions or tools you need as well.

Read through your pattern COMPLETELY-- do you understand how it is constructed? Are there any techniques or stitches required that you don't know how to do--or need to practice? Use our search feature on the forum, and post questions here or in the how-to forum.

If you haven't decided on yarn yet, now is the time to get some. Remember you don't have to use the yarn specified in the pattern; you can substitute a different weight, color, etc, as long as you get the correct GAUGE. If you DO want to substitute yarn., make sure you get the correct YARDAGE (not necessarily the specified number of balls). YOu might also want to get extra, just in case, and be sure to checck your dye lot numbers.

Speaking of gauge... Knit a gauge swatch. You can do this before you buy the yarn, if your LYS has some you can try--that way you know how it knits up. See Amy's gauge guidelines here (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7177&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15) on how to knit your swatch and correctly calculate your gauge. If your gauge is off, adjust your needle size. This step is crucial to a sweater that fits correctly, so don't skip it... Remember that a gauge that is off by a half stitch can turn into a discrepancy of several inches. And we don't want to spend three months on a sweater and have it not fit, do we??

Finally, take your measurements. Be HONEST with yourself. Make sure that the size you're going to knit will actually fit you! Measure your bust at the fullest part, while wearing proper undergarments ;-) You may also want to measure your hips and waist, if your pattern covers those areas.

Go through your pattern, and highlight or circle all of the numbers that apply to your size. (I think it's okay to make a copy if you don't want to mess up you're original)

To review:
Get your pattern, yarn, tools
Take your measurememnts
Knit a gauge swatch
Mark your pattern as necessary
Breathe! you're done!

If you're a picture-taker, take pictures of each week's progress--this will add to your gatification at the end of the process! :-)

Do a little bit each day-- you have until Saturday to complete your mission!
Good luck, and happy knitting!

Jan in CA
01-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I really like the pattern Kelly is doing... is it harder to do a top down pattern? I found another LYS nearby :happydance: so I'm going to check it out tomorrow because I think they have that pattern.

KellyK
01-01-2006, 06:59 PM
I chose this for my first pattern because it's EASIER! NO SEAMING!!! :cheering:

Jan in CA
01-01-2006, 07:09 PM
I chose this for my first pattern because it's EASIER! NO SEAMING!!! :cheering:

Oh goody! Now to get the pattern and yarn. Hope it's not to expensive at the LYS! Can you tell me how much yarn it takes appx so I can figure it out now? Thanks!

knitterma
01-01-2006, 09:08 PM
I ordered my yarn yesterday, so I may or may not get it in time to finish this week's objective. The more I think about this sweater the more I want it! ( Candy from Knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTcandy.html)) It's so cute and I've been droooooling over this kind of neckline for months (what is it called, a ballet neckline or whatever?).

I thought about changing the color scheme for a split second or two while I was ordering my yarn, but in the end the pink/cranberry won out because it's just so darn CUTE.

I really love the Tubey pattern that some of you all are working on - that cut is very flattering. I can't wait to see what colors you chose!

KellyK
01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Im making the large (50" chest) and I ordered 1300 yds....if I remember correctly, it REQUIRES 1270. But that's MY size.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-01-2006, 09:21 PM
My sweater calls for 16sts/4in. On 9's I got 15 sts/4in

How much bigger will a quarter of a stitch gauge difference make the sweater?

KellyK
01-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Um....are you REALLY asking me to MULTIPLY??? Um....HELLOOOOO! That's what I have YOU forrrr! :rollseyes:

knitting4babybear
01-01-2006, 10:16 PM
I ordered my yarn yesterday, so I may or may not get it in time to finish this week's objective. The more I think about this sweater the more I want it! ( Candy from Knitty (http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/PATTcandy.html)) It's so cute and I've been droooooling over this kind of neckline for months (what is it called, a ballet neckline or whatever?).

I thought about changing the color scheme for a split second or two while I was ordering my yarn, but in the end the pink/cranberry won out because it's just so darn CUTE.

I really love the Tubey pattern that some of you all are working on - that cut is very flattering. I can't wait to see what colors you chose!

Me too, knitterma. We'll be tardy together. :)

I love that pattern. Can't wait to see how it turns out. If it's not horrendous, I may try it. :thinking:

Jan in CA
01-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the info, Kelly. It gives me an idea anyway!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Ahhhhhh-HA. KK, I *knew* you didn't actually do the math! :roflhard:

KK might be setting herself up for knitting DISASTER :shock: But Hildie is here to save the day!!!!!!!!!

How many stitches did you cast on?

VickiIL
01-01-2006, 11:21 PM
:cheering: I ordered my yarn for tubey yesterday (Merino Style) and knit up a guage swatch from some I have have in my stash. I just need to talk my DH into helping me take my measurements and I am then ready to start knitting....(well...once the yarn arrives, that is.)

Mer
01-01-2006, 11:24 PM
Oooh, I just found this KAL. I am in--I did a gauge swatch for the Hourglass Sweater from Last Minute Knitted Gifts tonight. I think I may have to do some calculations because the Debbie Bliss Cathay that I have is not quite the right gauge. The row measurements are fine, but not the stitch measurements. I think I'll actually wash the swatch and see if that makes a difference (whoa, a first for me!). I don't want to have to do math! :(

WynnieG
01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Question: should I be measuring my swatch unwashed, or washed?? :??

Angelia
01-01-2006, 11:28 PM
I posted this pic elsewhere, but here's my Tubey yarn--KP Merino Style. The colors aren't really showing accurately, but my MC is Cinnamon, and the CCs are cornflower, asparagus, nutmeg, and hollyberry. I've done my gauge swatches and all is well! I've knit the first 6 inches of the shrug.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Angelia I LOVE LOVE LOVE those colors together!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheering:

Mer, did you try adjusting your needle size?

Wyn, You can wash it if you want to, just make sure you follow care instructions.

V, what colors did you get?

vcuchica931
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
since no one was checking out the how to board, im going to post this here:
I'm having a problem with the gauge for the sweater I want to knit. And its giving me a headache!! So, i've decided to ask you smart people. The guage is for 4.5 stitches per inch (18stc=4inches) and I'm getting 5 stitches per inch. using a size 9 needle. So do i go up a size? (pattern calls for size 8 needles...but i still got 5 sts per inch... :?? ) so you see why I have a headache. Thanks!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-01-2006, 11:50 PM
go up a size to get LESS stithes per inch. I think :shifty:

because "up" has LESS letters and "down" has MORE letters

vcuchica931
01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Thanks so much! I'm anxious to begin knitting my sweater! :happydance:

I like that little saying; I'm going to have to write that one down!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 12:06 AM
I hope that's right!!!!!

KellyK
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Ahhhhhh-HA. KK, I *knew* you didn't actually do the math! :roflhard:

KK might be setting herself up for knitting DISASTER :shock: But Hildie is here to save the day!!!!!!!!!

How many stitches did you cast on?

Grumble grumble grumble!

Its very hard to calculate how many sts to tell you....you start with a CO of 56, but that's for the back-of-the-neck shaping. You join after several rows & then the rest of the pattern only talks about inc'ing until ther are a certain number of sts between the back 2 of the 4 markers.

If Im making a huge mistake, Ill know fairly soon because I already have 6" of yoke done. :shifty:

Emeraldcutie
01-02-2006, 12:07 AM
[quote="Jazzmatazz"]I've only made a sleeveless top knit entirely in the round. This Bob pattern looks okay for a beginner's top, don't you think? Has anyone made it?
www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/PATTbob.html

I
Thats the sweater Iam going to do, you have great taste :)

vcuchica931
01-02-2006, 12:12 AM
I hope that's right!!!!!

Well the finished chest measurement is 40" for my size (small), and I have a measurement of 36" so as long as the finished size isnt bigger than that i don't really care...plus the pattern is ribbing...I don't like gauges. :lol:

Lady M
01-02-2006, 12:15 AM
I will be late in getting started on my sweater. I ordered my yarn and several diffrent patterns and they havent arrived as of yet, but I will catch up........ =)

I tried to knit up a free pattern with some thin sport weight yarn, cast on 242 stiches , working 20 rows but the sweater was way to limp and was looking like a fishing net.......... soooooo im forced to wait for my yarn.

Pouting Sadly Wanting To Knit My Sweater .............. :(

Anne

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 12:16 AM
KK if you take the number of stitches you're supposed to have at the bottom of the armhole shaping and myltiply that by YOUR gauge and then the gauge in the pattern, you should be able to see the diffeence. That shoul dbe slose to the same number of stitches across the bustline

KellyK
01-02-2006, 12:17 AM
That's what Im saying....the pattern doesnt tell me how many sts Im supposed to have around the whole thing. It would require all KINDS of math to figure that out....Ill know soon enough because Im almost there & Ill let ya know. ;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 12:19 AM
:wall:

you're ignoring my schedule

KellyK
01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
NO IM KNOT!! I knit the gauge swatch this week! :mrgreen:

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 12:43 AM
Man, the more I look at Tubey, the more I like that sweater. I'm not sure that it would look good on me though... all those WIDE stripes right around the middle.... it might make people go "HOLY crap, here comes Hildie's Boobs!!!!! Oh yeah, hildie is behind them....." :shock:

Emeraldcutie
01-02-2006, 12:45 AM
LOL I was thinking the exact same thing, or else there would be some sort of exposure going on, the reason I don't do low neck lines..lol

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 12:54 AM
well it's not actually the low cut part it's just the fact that I dont' know that i want some tight ribbing across my chest. I might as well hang blinking red lights from my nipples. Not to mention that horizontal stripes are NOT flattering to us fluffy gals.

I wonder if I could do it all in a black or brown and just put stripes on the sleeves?

Julie
01-02-2006, 01:02 AM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: to the red blinking lights

I'm knitting Tubey for my best friend, who ixnayed the stripes. While it will be slightly monotonous to knit, it will look much better on her that way! :D

mintdee
01-02-2006, 01:06 AM
I was thinking of only putting the stripes around the sleeves. As cute as the stripes around the torso part of the shirt are they just aren't all that flattering. :rollseyes: So I would say go for it and use the sleeve stripes. I think that would be way cute. Come on and join us cool people. :roflhard:

KellyK
01-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Hild....you would be SOOOOO proud of me! I DID MATH! :happydance:

I thiiiiiiink there are gonna be 200 sts around the body.

chicagoknitter
01-02-2006, 01:44 AM
I am a total newby but this sounds like so much fun...and I am a jump in feet first kind of girl. I figure I should give this a shot since I have pros like you guys to help me through this. ;)
I found this pattern and it says it is "easy" what do you guys think? Do you think that a person who is new to knitting would find this to be "easy"? Has anyone used this type of yarn before? Is it bad? Good? I just do not want to get to all sorts of yarn and get started and then ask you guys a question and have you think I am a dork for using bad yarn or a pattern too hard for a newby.
I would appreciate any help that you guys could offer. Thank you so much.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kcw-balletSweater.html

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 02:01 AM
yay! more Illinois people! Have you read about out upcoming gathering??? Check the general forum somewhere in this thread (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2139) (you might want to work bvackwards!). I don't *think* I rememberseeing you post there :shifty: but if you haven't, check it out! We're meeting this month for a knitapalooza!

About the pattern...hmm.... It looks pretty straightforward.... big needles, chunky yarn. I hate when patterns say "reverse shaping" though (again, this is just me)--I like it better when it's written out, because I'm paranoid and scared of "new" things.

knitqueen
01-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Here's another pattern for any of you bustier gals out there! I include myself in that category and think that this pattern is really feminine and flattering:
http://www.magknits.com/chilly04/patterns/donna.htm

foldedbird
01-02-2006, 02:56 AM
If you did your gauge swatch, and your stitches per inch do not match the required gauge, here's what you do.

Say your goal is 4 spi (stitches per inch) or 20 sts over 4". You did your swatch like you were supposed to. What? What's that? You're knitting your swatch flat, but your pattern tells you to knit your sweater in the round? WHAT? You will *not* get an accurate gauge. See below, you knotty knitter.

Anyway. Say your goal is 4 spi. You did your swatch (correctly this time) and lo' and behold, you came up with 5 spi. You need to REswatch with a BIGGER needle. If you came up with something like 3 spi, you have to go with a SMALLER needle.

Just remember: Bigger gauge, bigger needle. Smaller gauge, smaller needle.

As for knitting a swatch in the round, you can do it with double pointed needles in the same pattern stitch as your piece. Knit yourself up a tube, bind off, and cut the sucker at the sides. Measure. Wha-la. Now, if you're not knitting your sweater on double pointed needles, then you might want to check your gauge while knitting on circs. Lots of folks get different gaugs between dpn's and circs. Unfortunately, I have learned this the hard way. In my humble opinion, the easiest way to check gauge on circs is to make a little hat. You might as well, you're going to have to do about 20 rounds anyway!

Hope this helps and that I've been clear. If not, let me know!
Denise

KellyK
01-02-2006, 03:34 AM
I did my swatch on the same circ as Im using for my sweater, knitting about 5" across, and like when you make I-cord, but without pulling it tight, letting the working yarn drape LOOSELY across the back, WITHOUT turning my work, carried it over to the right side again....knitting stockinette without the purling. Then, I measure across the MIDDLE of the swatch to avoid accidentally measuring the loose sts at either end.

foldedbird
01-02-2006, 03:40 AM
That's another good one, KK!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 04:11 AM
oooo knitqueen, i LIKEY that magknits sweater!!!! :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

I wonder if I did it in merino style if it would strech a little more .... :thinking:

foldedbird
01-02-2006, 04:17 AM
Didn't you read ANYTHING bout swatching? lol

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 04:22 AM
LOL, yes, but I'd need to knit a swatch in BOTH to determine the percentage of stretch difference. I think I might put this one on my "after i lose 20 more pounds" list... or by then i'll be making the summer sweater, so I;d have to wait until fall.... or maybe I could do it now because I might forget by then... arrgghhhhhhhhh

I CAN"T MAKE DECISIONS :wall: :wall: :wall: stop showing me patterns!!

KellyK
01-02-2006, 04:40 AM
:( Hild.....did you see that I did math? :(

nicolethegeek
01-02-2006, 07:53 AM
I just stumbled upon this... not hard to tell I was going nuts during boxing week is it? Well this fits in pretty good with my New Year's resolutions and knitting plans. I have my Skacel sweater to do since I only did a sleeve of it before Christmas to check my gauge and that I had enough wool. After that I can work on my homespun sweater coat.

I also love the idea of designing my own tank top... those that follow my blog know that I already had plans for a bunch of summer tops to go with a sweater I want to design... a sort of mix and match twin set!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 10:53 AM
:cheering: yay kk did math!!!! :cheering:

lisak
01-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Yikes! I'm gone for a weekend, and I've missed 6 pages and I still haven't ordered my stuff yet! :oops:

I'll get to it and hopefully I can catch up!

Hope every one had an awesome New Years! :) I'm still recovering from a night on River Street in Savannah!

Jouf
01-02-2006, 12:30 PM
I have my yarn for my sweater I'm making - Fringe from Drops. But while waiting to get it I started playing with another one and now I have to finish it first! And I did EVERYTHING wrong - didn't listen to anything Hildie said. I didn't swatch. I didn't read the pattern very clearly. I didn't know a thing about lace patterns. (I promise I'll do better on Fringe) But all in all - it looks like it may fit my daughter and looks okay enough even with ALLLLLLL the mistakes. The yarn gods were with me. Still have to do the sleeves. Then I'll cast on FRINGE!!!

WynnieG
01-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Here's another pattern for any of you bustier gals out there! I include myself in that category and think that this pattern is really feminine and flattering:

Knitqueen has just found me my spring knitting pattern. This is the 3/4 sleeve bundle of versatility and simplicity I've been dreaming of! I will be building an altar of yarn through which I may worship your genius later this afternoon.

knitting4babybear
01-02-2006, 02:01 PM
I hope that's right!!!!!

Well the finished chest measurement is 40" for my size (small), and I have a measurement of 36" so as long as the finished size isnt bigger than that i don't really care...plus the pattern is ribbing...I don't like gauges. :lol:
Vcuc - talk to me.... :D

Are you saying that ribbing means less need for gauge? :shock: :happydance:

Please? :roflhard:

I tried figuring out how to do a circ gauge swatch from the discussion Amy linked to her gauge tutorial, and I couldn't make heads or tails out of it - which I'm sure is a noob issue...

Any chance I can not worry about it? :shifty:

knitting4babybear
01-02-2006, 02:04 PM

Knitqueen has just found me my spring knitting pattern. This is the 3/4 sleeve bundle of versatility and simplicity I've been dreaming of! I will be building an altar of yarn through which I may worship your genius later this afternoon.

LOL! I love that....

It IS a nice pattern....

knitting4babybear
01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Man, the more I look at Tubey, the more I like that sweater. I'm not sure that it would look good on me though... all those WIDE stripes right around the middle.... it might make people go "HOLY crap, here comes Hildie's Boobs!!!!! Oh yeah, hildie is behind them....." :shock:

So make it all solid Hild, no? I think it'd look awesome. Garments like that accentuate the positive and vitually eliminate the negative. I fell in love when they posted pics and now I'm torn too. I don't have big boobs but I've got a bottom half the size of Texas and for some reason, fitted things like that work wonders on me.

KellyK
01-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I think Im gonna go through all of KH & search for any thread that does NOT contain the word BOOBS somewhere, and ADD it just so those threads dont feel left out. It should only take a minute! :roflhard:

vcuchica931
01-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Ummm no (I wish) but i know that ribbing will cinch inwards...So I'm hoping that the sweater will fit a little tighter.(my swatch was suppossed to be knit in stockinette stitch.)

Earlier on this thread, Denise gave a mini tutorial about doing circular knitting gauges. I think its on the page before this one.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 06:15 PM
I should have made this "2006: The Year of the Boob"

wyoknitter
01-02-2006, 07:42 PM
what? and make those of us who are flatter than boards feel bad??

;)

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-02-2006, 08:31 PM
it's not how BIG they are, wyo, it's how you use them :eyebrow:

gimmesanity
01-03-2006, 12:34 AM

That's my fear, too. I'm a little gal, but I'm a bit...ummm..overly-blessed in the mammary department. I'm going to make tubey with the stripes on the bottom and on the bottom of the sleeves, only.

I still need to pick out my colors, though. I just got back from holiday break and I'm trying to catch up..I'll be a week or two behind sked. Sorry... :oops:

~Sharon

Angelia
01-03-2006, 01:15 AM
For my next sweater project, I want to knit this. Including the man in it. Is this a good winter project, Hildie? Would it keep me warm?

KellyK
01-03-2006, 01:18 AM
I got the yoke done tonight!! :cheering: Here's a pic in bad light....its actually a lt purple ragg color. Im gonna pick up & knit the collar tomorrow. :happydance:

KellyK
01-03-2006, 01:19 AM
And,yes, that looks like a warm sweater, Ang...so knit that man & give him a good haircut! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Kelly--that's gorgeous!! :cheering:

Angelia--that, too!

vcuchica931
01-03-2006, 01:28 AM
beautiful color Kelly! You're going to have the sweater done by the end of next week at the rate you're going!

Angelia
01-03-2006, 01:32 AM
Geez, Kelly! That looks great--and yeah, you'll be done by Wednesday.

I don't wanna give my knit man a haircut. I like it...I might wash it, though.

vcuchica931
01-03-2006, 01:34 AM
haha he's FINE either way!!

foldedbird
01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
I saw this on Knitty tonight and thought of all you busty ladies: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTmariposa.html. Whatcha think?

KellyK
01-03-2006, 08:12 AM
Noooo...I wont be done this week. I have to WORK for the rest of it. :rollseyes: Damned LIFE getting in the way of knitting again! :mad:

Angelia
01-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Grr...that whole life thing is sooo irritating. Must work to have money to buy yarn, but working means no money to knit with said yarn. Grrr!!! I have to spend much of the remainder of the week getting my spring classes mapped out. I'm mostly done with readings selections, but there are always ticky-tack things to do that take me 10x as long as I'd planned....I need a sabbatical for knitting. :rollseyes:

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 11:13 AM

Ummm no (I wish) but i know that ribbing will cinch inwards...So I'm hoping that the sweater will fit a little tighter.(my swatch was suppossed to be knit in stockinette stitch.)

Earlier on this thread, Denise gave a mini tutorial about doing circular knitting gauges. I think its on the page before this one.

Thanks. I'll check. I'm missing all the good stuff here.... :shock:

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Kelly - not that I'm suprised, but that sweater looks awesome already. :heart:

Speaking of boobs, if you wore it just like that, you'd be the hit of EVERY party! :roflhard:

monzogary
01-03-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm fairly new to KH, and I had already decided that I wanted to make myself a sweater so this will be perfect! I read through most of this thread yesterday and decided on a basic top down raglan v-neck sweater from one of the older books my mom gave me. I had already bought the yarn I wanted to use to make a sweater last week so I did a swatch and then started on my sweater last night! The pattern I would have really liked to have done I just couldn't find the right yarn to get it to work out right, so that one will have to wait until I can search more and find just the right yarn for it. So for now this basic sweater will have to do - basic pattern but I'm doing it in Microspun in basically every color they make so it will be bright and not plain and dull. Happy knitting to all! :XX:
Mary

melaniedc
01-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Hopefully Denise and I will get our yarn and needles in the mail this week!! We ordered Shine from Knitpicks for the Picovoli and some Addi circulars from the cool ebay guy.

I can't wait to cast on and swatch (til I get the damned thing right!)!!

Angelia
01-03-2006, 01:23 PM
Who's the addi dealer?!!! I need to score some... :D

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
Friggers!

Now I'm caught between tubey, the hourglass sweater (which I really adore) and Tempting (which is becoming less so with those damned DPN's...but I'll need those for all of them I'm sure).

I'll decide for sure sure sure, on Thursday. I bought the book with the hourglass pattern in it, so I'm going to see how easy or hard that looks and compare. I'll do swatches and all then too.

All of this has sparked quite the stash organization tho. Nothing like looking at patterns and being absolutely sure you have at least SOME of the materials, except that they can't be found. :shock:

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Who's the addi dealer?!!! I need to score some... :D

Jeff Wonderland. Ebay.

Angelia
01-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Tubey does require dpns for the sleeves...I don't think you're going to be able to get by the dpns unless you knit sleeves flat! :D They're not hard to use at all, honestly.

And, there's no rush--take your time picking out a pattern. You're going to be working on it awhile, so make sure it's something you REALLY want to knit!

KellyK
01-03-2006, 01:50 PM
Ya know, K4BB, This KAL will have you making FOUR sweaters by the time the year is over.....you COULd make ALL of those!! :cheering:

(And thanks for the compliments!)

mailgirl
01-03-2006, 02:13 PM
thanks to KellyK...I am also knitting the pullover from Knitting Pure & Simple...in Lamb's Pride!

Angelia
01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
I can't find Jeff Wonderland on ebay--is he listed under something else?

WynnieG
01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I saw this on Knitty tonight and thought of all you busty ladies: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTmariposa.html. Whatcha think?

I looked at this one when it came out... and tried to imagine what it would look like in some sweet heathered greens, not the "bordello chic" it was knit in - the colors chosen for the demo would definitely make objects appear larger than they are!

My fear is that horizontal line, by way of defining an empire waist would just emphasize the thickest part of my torso. If I were to make this, I would definitely eliminate that line. The rest of the design rocks, and the shaping is spot-on. One thing I do love is the shoulders. This design reminds me of corset designs from the 1840s.

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 02:33 PM
I can't find Jeff Wonderland on ebay--is he listed under something else?

Here's a link to his store...

http://stores.ebay.com/My-BestShop_W0QQssPageNameZstrkQ3amefsQ3amesstQQtZkm

:)

Hope it works.... :shock:

Angelia
01-03-2006, 02:54 PM
It works! Thanks K4BB!!! :happydance: :happydance:

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 03:02 PM

Yer welcome cutestuff! :)

Angelia
01-03-2006, 03:14 PM

:oops: No one's ever called me "cutestuff"! :rofling: :rofling:

Jeep_Girl
01-03-2006, 05:02 PM
And,yes, that looks like a warm sweater, Ang...so knit that man & give him a good haircut! :thumbsup:

Oh no haircut! I like it long..... :rollseyes:

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 05:11 PM

:oops: No one's ever called me "cutestuff"! :rofling: :rofling:

Er...sorry? :roflhard:

foldedbird
01-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Me neither, I feel SO left out!!!

Angelia
01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Don't feel left out, cutestuff!

foldedbird
01-03-2006, 05:26 PM
Now I feel better! TY!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 05:42 PM
Changed my mind, I'm doing tubey, YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ordered my yarn on my planning period today (ick, back to school!)
I wrestled and wrestled with colors until I was like "DUH, my best friend is the art teacher! Go ask her, moron!" So I did. I didn't pick the colors she suggested totally, but I went with a much more earthy palatte ;-) I'm doing Merino style (http://knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420104). My main color will be HONEY, and my stripes will be asparagras, cinnamon, and moss, and MAYBE nutmeg. :cheering: I love merino style :heart:

I'm going to save hippy chic (http://www.patternworks.com/PWShopping/partsview.asp?action=lookup&partno=800263&subject=&catpos=)for the fall... I think it's more warm tunic looking than sexy spring looking :-)

Angelia
01-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Yay! You've succumbed to Tubey-liciousness!!! :cheering: :cheering:

And those colors sound fabulous! :thumbsup:

Jan in CA
01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Okay I picked up my pattern today! I'm doing this (http://www.knittingpureandsimple.com/) one which is actually the same one KK is doing. It's the one pictured on the front page. Now... got get the yarn and do the first week stuff...

EDIT! I got the yarn! Bernat Denim Style in Stonewash! :cheering: Now to do the math.. http://bestsmileys.com/sick/9.gif

knitting4babybear
01-03-2006, 07:21 PM
Those colors are fab Hilde. Very nice.

WynnieG
01-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Okay. *deep breath* I've raided the stash, and I do not have enough of the type of yarn required for the Donna sweater.

Gonna have to shop! *glee*

I'm trying to keep it affordable, so that I can buy the 12 skeins the pattern requires. I found some Oasis (http://www.knitwerx.com/yarn.aspx?id=451&select=3317#add) on knitwerx - varigated, on sale. Cotton/linen vs. cotton elastic Lana Grossa “Point” specified in the pattern.

Is this a bad choice? Let me know before I purchase the wrong thing!

KellyK
01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
Your tubey is gonna be PREEEEETY, Hild! And, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that tunic! CUUUUTE! Imay have to pick up that pattern myself! Looks like some waist shaping I see there!

Jillle
01-03-2006, 11:11 PM
I finished the back of my sweater. Hmm. It looks like a big square. :( I guess this sweater will be kind of boxy. Hopefully not TOO boxy. You can see "Earnshaw" here: http://www.theknittinggarden.com/noro-simply.htm

Lady M
01-03-2006, 11:11 PM
Well I did a major swing around here at the last minute and changed
everything that I was going to do.

My Pattern and Yarn haven't arrived yet so I decided to clean up my old crocheting stash to see just what yarn that I had. I found some light blue Red Heart 4 Worsted yarn that I had and some matching multi-colored. So I figured since I am waiting for my other to arrive from knitpics, I would make my first sweater with the Red Heart Yarn, just to see if im up to the challenge. I have been offically been knitting 1 month now and this is sort of scarry, and if I do mess up......... I wont be ruining my good yarn. Here is the pattern that I am going to be making.
http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kce-longVest.html, I know that its a simple vest but I have jsut enough yarn to make it. I hope that this will still count as my sweater. I can wear it over a tee or a mock turtle neck.
so I can get some wear out of it for a while.

Let me know if I am makring a mistake. Im so new to this and I want to make something that I will like....-) :thumbsup:

Hugs
Anne

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 11:12 PM
yeah I picked that tunic because it wasn't boxy looking. I'll let you check out the pattern on saturday

Wyn, I like that yarn!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
I like the vest, Anne!

Lady M
01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
:happydance: Thankies Hilde !!!!

I sure do hope that this turns out good. I have cast on and on my 5th row of the back peice. When I get the back completed I will send a pic ..... I am sure thankful that I have all of you here to hold my hand.
I would have NEVER started a sweater if it wasnt for all of you !!!

Anne

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-03-2006, 11:30 PM
ooo Jillie, you must have posted when I was replying! It looks GREAT!!!!!

It is possible to add some waist shaping by knitting with smaller needles at the "waist" partMaybe you could so that on the front??? I don't know how that would look if you didn't do it on the back, though... :thinking:

Angelia
01-03-2006, 11:36 PM
Ooh, that vest is really cute, Anne!

And Jillie, the work on Earnshaw looks good! I like that pattern AND that yarn--yummy!

Mer
01-03-2006, 11:51 PM
It's so great that a lot of people are attempting their first sweaters because of this! WTG Hildie! :thumbsup:

Started my hourglass sweater! I decided to do Marnie's no-sew hem (http://marniemaclean.com/words/2005/01/no-sew-hem.html) as opposed to the hem specified, and had a bit of trouble with the provisional cast-on, but eventually got it. Only a few rows in, but I'm loving the yarn so far!

Mer
01-03-2006, 11:55 PM
Okay. *deep breath* I've raided the stash, and I do not have enough of the type of yarn required for the Donna sweater.

Gonna have to shop! *glee*

I'm trying to keep it affordable, so that I can buy the 12 skeins the pattern requires. I found some Oasis (http://www.knitwerx.com/yarn.aspx?id=451&select=3317#add) on knitwerx - varigated, on sale. Cotton/linen vs. cotton elastic Lana Grossa “Point” specified in the pattern.

Is this a bad choice? Let me know before I purchase the wrong thing!

I'm not sure, if the yarn is supposed to have elastic in it, that sub may not work too well. Linen is not stretchy. I don't really have a good suggestion though. :?? Maybe a cotton/acrylic blend?

Jillle
01-04-2006, 12:26 AM
Thanks Hildie and Angelia! I think I'll just follow the pattern since its my very first sweater ever (thanks again for this KAL Hildie...I don't think I would be trying a sweater on my own!). I'm sure it will be nice and warm. You know these freezing So Cal winters! :??

earthchick
01-04-2006, 12:47 AM
What an exciting KAL!!! I just got back in town last night (and back online!) and read this thread then. I've been obsessing about it all day! I've never made a sweater (am getting ready to make a capelet, which will be my first garment ever), and this is just the kind of inspiration I need. It's so fun to read about what people are planning.

So I need some advice. I am torn b/t two options for the first sweater. Even before this KAL, I had been wanting to make To Dye For from Stitch 'n Bitch. But I saw a link to the Sunset Pullover (from Knitpicks) further up in this thread, and I really like it! I don't have the pattern, so i don't know if it would be suitable for a first sweater. Does anyone have thoughts about this? I imagine the To Dye For would knit up more quickly, since it's with bulkier yarn. OTOH, I made a shawl from Suri Dream this fall and I said I would never knit with that yarn again! I got really tired of how it felt running through my fingers (though it was great in the final product). The upside is that I do still have some left over, so I could be knitting up my swatch while I wait for a new order to arrive.

There is one part of the To Dye For pattern that I already am confused about, so I'm nervous about this from the get-go. It also requires seaming, which I'm not crazy about. Does anyone know if the Sunset Pullover is knit in the round? I'd love to have minimal seaming on my first sweater.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for a beginner knit sweater, I'm all ears (or, in this case, eyes).

Thanks, Hilde, for another brilliant idea! This KAL makes me feel like I could reallly do this! :cheering: :happydance:

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm all for minimal seaming on a first sweater. You'll have enough to worry about without a bunch of sewing to do!

sogrammatical
01-04-2006, 01:36 AM
I haven't been online much in the past few weeks so I just discovered this knit-along this afternoon. And I've decided to join in! I got a few skeins of Homespun for Christmas that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with so now I'm going to make a sweater! I've never made a sweater before, or even any large project so this should be exciting.

I've been thinking about this one: http://www.berroco.com/197/197_sandy.html It looks pretty easy and I think it's something that I'll actually wear when I'm finished.

Jan in CA
01-04-2006, 02:33 AM
So I'm knitting my gauge..ugh... how big does it have to be?? I am using the size 24 in circ, but moving the yarn back and forth to avoid having to have so many stitches for a circ gauge. Those droopy yarns make it rather annoying as they don't tighten up on the edges, but otherwise the stockinette looks fine. I've got about 3 in so far in rows and it's about 6 inches maybe wide. In measuring in the middle it seems I'm right on target. The pattern gives only 16 st over 4 inches so apparently rows don't matter in this pattern. I'm not thrilled with these nylon needles I'm using either...if I get new ones do I have to do the gauge again?

knitqueen
01-04-2006, 02:48 AM
Well folks, I'm diving in!!! :D

Since Sitcom Chic is nearly done, I think I need to start a new project for this KAL so I've decided to do Picovoli (http://www.magknits.com/Aug05/picovoli.htm) and placed my order for Knitpicks Shine (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420122) in the color 'Green Apple'. I LOVE it when patterns give specifics for yarn substitutions, it makes my life so much easier! ;)

I am very excited about this!!! :cheering: :cheering:

carollovesyarn
01-04-2006, 04:32 AM
I'm not thrilled with these nylon needles I'm using either...if I get new ones do I have to do the gauge again?
Yes! Sorry! But only if you want it to fit. ;)

zingis2000
01-04-2006, 06:52 AM
I’m excited to start in on this new KAL. I already have yarn I bought last fall on close out that will be perfect. I also brought the book “The Sweater Workshop”. You sort of design your own sweater with the yarn you have. Hey what’s the worse that can happen??? I might have to frog. The yarn is by “Artful” call Ballet – 45% nylon, 35% acrylic, and 20% cotton. The color is called - Romeo and Juliet - a beautiful purple color. Should work well for spring, If I don’t make this for myself I might make it for my daughter or whoever fits it. LOL . I can’t wait to start. Thanks everyone for your inspiration. Linda

Angelia
01-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Jan: That loopy gauge swatch is the freakiest thing, isn't it? It's like fair isle gone horribly wrong!

Lisa: I love that sweater pattern "Sandy"--that should be really snuggly in Homespun!

Linda: I have The Sweater Workshop--got it for Christmas. I love the way she puts sweaters together! I haven't used it yet, though, so I'm anxious to see how it goes for you!

Mer
01-04-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't think this has been posted on the KAL yet, but I thought some folks might want to read this article on swatching & gauge--very helpful!

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring03/FEATswatchout.html

Angelia
01-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the link, Mer!

I just made a terrible discovery:

I didn't wash and block my swatch... :shock:

That doesn't necessarily spell disaster, does it?!

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 09:57 AM
It doesn't spell disaster, but if you ever plan on washing your sweater, I'd haul out the swatch (or make a new one if you frogged it) and getting to washing and blocking if I were you!

Angelia
01-04-2006, 10:02 AM
Oh crapola. Fine, just fine. :D

And yes, I did frog it...

Jan in CA
01-04-2006, 11:19 AM
foldedbird
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:57 am Post subject:
It doesn't spell disaster, but if you ever plan on washing your sweater, I'd haul out the swatch (or make a new one if you frogged it) and getting to washing and blocking if I were you!

carollovesyarn
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:32 am Post subject:
Jan in CA wrote:
I'm not thrilled with these nylon needles I'm using either...if I get new ones do I have to do the gauge again?

Yes! Sorry! But only if you want it to fit.

:shock: :doh: Alright, alright...I'll do it right. :rollseyes: ---impatiently runs off to get new needles and swatch AGAIN!

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 11:24 AM
Hey, while you're add it... pick me up a 40" Denise cable, will ya?

Jan in CA
01-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey, while you're add it... pick me up a 40" Denise cable, will ya?

:roflhard: :roflhard:

Seriously though..I don't have them yet at ALL! I've been trying to decide which interchangeables to get. I don't like metal really and bamboo isn't good for everything it seems so I've been leaning toward Denises. ;)

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 11:26 AM
Check this out, LOL:
[10:20] beadedbrat: me thinks the denises are going to enable my add knitting further
[10:20] AshtorethDH: utoh...
[10:20] beadedbrat: im sitting here dreaming up all the things i could knit at the same time, lol
[10:21] beadedbrat: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94813#94813
[10:21] beadedbrat: see, look at my typo
[10:21] AshtorethDH: lol

*I'm beadedbrat, Ashtwhatever is Melanie*

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 11:29 AM
Now that I have them, I love 'em. The only way I'd get a metal set is if Addi came out with an interchangeable set! :XX:

Jan in CA
01-04-2006, 11:34 AM
:?? What is the conversation from? Glad to know you love them! I will probably invest soon. This buying one at a time is a pain and expensive!

melaniedc
01-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Oooh....and Addi interchangable set!!! Now that would seriously rock!

*DROOL*

:rofling:

And Denise, I'm so glad you're joining me in knitting ADD!!

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 11:35 AM
:?? What is the conversation from? Glad to know you love them! I will probably invest soon. This buying one at a time is a pain and expensive!
AOL!

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 11:36 AM
Honey, I had knitting ADD long before I ever, ever met you. My pile of actually finished projects is SO pathetic.

foldedbird
01-04-2006, 11:37 AM
I'd sell organs for an Addi set, btw...

knitqueen
01-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Do patterns usually take into account the yarn needed for making a decent swatch??? Usually when I do a gauge swatch, I just frog it and use that yarn for the project but for Picovoli (from magknits) it is suggested to wash and block the swatch before measuring and I want to do it right, BUT I also don't want to run out of yarn. I would hate to have to order one more skein of yarn from knitpicks and have to pay the shipping again. :rollseyes:

Jan in CA
01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Do patterns usually take into account the yarn needed for making a decent swatch??? Usually when I do a gauge swatch, I just frog it and use that yarn for the project but for Picovoli (from magknits) it is suggested to wash and block the swatch before measuring and I want to do it right, BUT I also don't want to run out of yarn. I would hate to have to order one more skein of yarn from knitpicks and have to pay the shipping again. :rollseyes:

Apparentlyyyy...you are supposed to wash and block every gauge swatch which makes sense because it could shrink or stretch or whatever and you need to know that to work accordingly.

Also apparently it's a good idea to get an extra ball for swatching and to have around in case you need it. I bought an extra one just for this purpose.

Seeeee I'm learning! :roflhard:

Mer
01-04-2006, 01:18 PM
*ahem* even though I'm the one that posted that link about swatches, this is the first time I've actually washed a swatch. :hiding: My FOs have been fine anyway, but if you want to do it right, you should probably wash. knitqueen, you can always unravel your swatch at the end if you see you're going to run out of yarn.

KellyK
01-04-2006, 02:17 PM
I'd sell organs for an Addi set, btw...

Deni....I didnt know that organ salespeople were that well-paid!!

Angelia
01-04-2006, 05:11 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Kelly, you so silly!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just cannot bring myselt to knit another swatch. I just can't!

I just won't wash the sweater. I'll have it dry-cleaned or something.

I've just committed knitting blasphemy, haven't I? :shock:

gimmesanity
01-04-2006, 05:51 PM
GROANNNNNNN :rollseyes:

hehe.

Hildegard_von_Knittin
01-04-2006, 05:52 PM
kk you're such a dork! (i mean that in a loving way)

I'm not going to wash my swatch because merino style can't be WASHED. I'll just spray it with fabreeze, cuz that's what I'll end up doing to my sweater. That's how I did almost all of my laundry in college, and everything turned out fine!

Angelia
01-04-2006, 06:02 PM
:happydance: :happydance:

Hildie, you're my HERO!!!

(I'll let Kelly do the singing!)

VickiIL
01-04-2006, 07:06 PM
My yarn is here!!!! :cheering: :cheering: Now to get started!!!

gimmesanity
01-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I just ordered my yarn for Tubey.
Ahhh, now the wait.....

knitqueen
01-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I just ordered my yarn for Tubey.
Ahhh, now the wait.....

Yes, the wait....... :pray:

Jan in CA
01-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I soooo wanted to do my sweater now! I have the yarn, but I hate the one needle I have and I've looked at 4 different local stores with no luck. Well not the LYS, but I'm not paying that much for a needle! Anyhoo.... Now I gotta wait!! http://bestsmileys.com/crying/8.gif

On a happy note though I am ordering Denises from Taraknits today! Whoohoo!!! http://bestsmileys.com/excited/3.gif :cheering:

earthchick
01-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Okay, so after way too much obsession about this, I have finally decided that I'm going to do the To Dye For sweater from SNB, in turqoise Suri Dream. So in mere moments I'll be ordering the yarn, and tomorrow I will go to my LYS and buy yet another set of Addi Turbos (size 13s). (Wheeee! Any excuse to go to the LYS!). Am currently working my swatch with bamboos, so I may need to do it again once I've got the right needles.

It was SOOOO hard to commit to one pattern after seeing so many yummy ones here! I still want to do the Sunset Pullover, as well as a top-down raglan, and a delicious looking new cardigan pattern at KnitPicks (done in merino style and suri dream). I'll also be knitting up my anthropologie-inspired capelet as soon as my yarn order from England arrives. I have way too much ambition considering how little time I have to do all the knitting I have planned....

Thanks again, Hildie, for starting this KAL. I am SUPER-psyched and feel like I can really do this thing since I'm not really doing it alone. :thumbsup:

Lady M
01-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I finally have my sweater vest in process.

I did a swatch, made sure I was in the proper gauge and now I have about 4 inches of the back of my sweater done and I am still in gauge.
I sure hope that it stays that way.

This sweater is 32' long and a 3x so it is going to take me a long time to knit. Im jsut a beginner and I admit that I am still slow and to beat it all
my right index finger is sore as heck from all the purling ( hehehe)

I can see a actual sweater taking form and it's making my heart sing with joy. I am knitting on circular size 7 needles due to the fact that my size 7 bamboos would not hold the hung amount of cast on stitches that I needed...........(( Im ROUND)) lol............. but I have found out that I can
knit back and forth on my circulars........

It looks like a set of Denise Interchangable Needles has my name on them, if i am going to beb making sweaters for me....... I need the LONG Cords .............

Boyyyyyyy My finger hurts :thumbsup:

Anne