PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember from the 1960's???

usamacka
12-28-2005, 02:25 AM
I started knitting in the 5th grade (girl scouts) back in OHIO. I remember getting a knitting KIT that contained size 10 1/2 WHITE plastic needles and some red bulky yarn for slippers. Did anyone else start with such a KIT? I am sure it came from the five and dime store.

KellyK
12-28-2005, 08:18 AM
There are kits like that at Target....

I started with an "I taught myself to knit" kit from Michaels. Had needles & notions, but no yarn.

usamacka
12-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Every Target must be different in the USA today...I was in a Target in Phoenix yesterday asking about yarns and the girl said they didn't carry anything at that particular store!

Jan in CA
12-28-2005, 01:33 PM
Well, I do remember the 60's...but, I don't remember any knitting kits. I think I was too busy with junior high and HS. LOL

Are you looking to buy a kit? I found this link for a kit with yarn.
http://tinyurl.com/9cwth

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 01:52 PM
I knit for the first time in the 60's, too, but never had the benefit of a kit. I did have white plastic needles, though. I remember that after a while they were rather arc shaped.

usamacka
12-28-2005, 03:16 PM
I remember SITTING on mine...breaking them..and constantly begging my father for $ to buy new needles....I imagine needles then probably cost around 29 cents...but that was ALOT OF money! :)

MaryS
12-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi,

I started in 1963, too. I didn't have a kit though, just a set of needles - probably about size 6 or 7, a skein of variegated green yarn, a learn to knit pamphlet, and :heart: my great-aunt :heart: . She was my first knitting teacher, and, although I've learned a lot since she gave me my love of knitting! :cheering:

Mary

pyromaniac71391
12-28-2005, 06:19 PM
Every Target must be different in the USA today...I was in a Target in Phoenix yesterday asking about yarns and the girl said they didn't carry anything at that particular store!
My aunt frequents the Pheonix Target.

I had a knitting kit when I was little. But I never even used it. I'm not sure what happened to the needles and yarn that came in it, but they're gone. My grandma taught me to knit in third or fourth grade.

Kirochka
12-28-2005, 09:04 PM
usamacka, this is going to sound totally off the wall if the answer is no, but does your screen name have anything to do with a cat?

If it doesn't, well, :oops: !! If it does, Macka (c with mark on top that I can't do on my keyboard) was our lovely late cat's name. We found her in our driveway a long time ago, in Belgrade... and my mother, who was studying Serbian, named her...

Contiknitter Kelly
12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
I think I saw some of those 60's kits (where else...) eBay.