PDA

View Full Version : A couple of FOs and a WIP by a newbie

Elemmaciltur
12-28-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey everybody! I'm a newby (and a guy at that) to this forum and also to knitting. Had started to learn knitting from KnittingHelp.com and now (3 1/2 weeks after that) I've been visiting a Stitch N Bitch session regularly and am now working through Knitting for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076455395X/qid=1135805977/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3415045-1268942?n=507846&s=books&v=glance).

Until now, I've finished 2 scarves. One for myself and one for my bf....here they are (the red-green-Christmas is for my bf, while the salt-and-pepper one's mine):

http://static.flickr.com/42/75359139_5f83608923.jpg

I've got the pattern for the one above from this blog (http://marq1.blogspot.com/2005/11/ribbed-scarf-for-myself.html).

http://static.flickr.com/9/78068014_673bba1b31.jpg

As for this scarf, I've used a 5 mm/US 8 circular needles with 100 cm in length. Casting on 220 stitches (or until you find it long enough), I knitted lengthwise in garter stitches.

Used up 4 balls (finges included) of 'Lana Grossa: Bingo Print' #310.

I've a new scarf on the needles right now that I've just started, so I'll wait a bit for it to grow before taking a photo and posting it here.

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Welcome! You've been knitting for less than a month??!! Excellent work! I'm extremely impressed! :cheering: Wow!

Pensguys
12-28-2005, 06:05 PM
WOW!!!! WONDERFUL!!!!

Elemmaciltur
12-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Thank you! Well, it took me about 5 days of perseverance for each scarf....I hope that I will get faster and better. There are some minor mistakes in both scarves. :D

Ingrid
12-28-2005, 06:23 PM
Five days for a scarf is not so long! All of my work has glitches in it, too. :rollseyes:

Jeep_Girl
12-28-2005, 07:22 PM
WOW!! What a great job! I can't believe you've been at this for less than a month!!! You're a natural!

KellyK
12-28-2005, 08:50 PM
REALLY good job!! Your ribbing is PERFECT! And, we're ALWAYS glad to add to our manly man population around here! WELCOME!

itscryttle
12-28-2005, 10:34 PM
THOSE ARE FABULOUS!!!

Esspecially for how new you are! Very impressed. :thumbsup:

Cristy
12-28-2005, 10:36 PM
great scarfs--I've started one very similar to the red and green for my dh.

wewantmore
12-28-2005, 10:36 PM
:thumbsup:

feministmama
12-29-2005, 02:04 AM
Nice job! :thumbsup: Welcome :waving:

Ronda
12-29-2005, 07:27 AM
I love them both! Very nice.

Ingrid: Don't go and ruin my opinion of you! You know I have you on a VERY high pedestal! :D

kayeknit
12-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Hello and welcome!! Those are beautiful scarfs, and five days is pretty fast too! :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
12-29-2005, 03:41 PM
OMG! Thank you so much for the replies and the comments!!!! I'm feeling very welcomed now!

Anyhow, got some vouchers for Christmas and just went a bit mad on yarns and needles today. Am going to try tackle a pair of socks soon. Didn't get around to my new scarf that much yet yesterday due to my doodling with practicing patterns - got some basketweave done as well as twists and a knitted plaid - ;) So, no photos just yet....I can't wait to try out the dpns (my first time) and making socks! (Gotta learn increases/decreases, etc. for it still)

BonnieM
12-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Really beautiful, both of them. Love the colors! Congratulations on such beautiful work!!

Elemmaciltur
12-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Photo, at last...not very far though:

http://static.flickr.com/38/79069585_e7c0c7bc53.jpg

So, that's the next scarf I'm making for myself. The colour of the stripes is from left to right, i.e. charcoal, mocca, white. I'm doing it in Fisherman's Rib, which makes the scarf extremely soft! The only downside is that the Fisherman's Rib is a yarn-eater! I'm not even finished with my first stripe and my first ball of yarn had been knitted more than half already! O.o I've for each colour only two balls, I think I'll need to get one more ball for each colour.

Material:

- approx. three 50 g balls each of 'Lana Grossa Bingo' in the following colours: Charcoal # 04, Mocca # 68 and White # 23
- 4.5 mm/US 7

Here's the pattern (no gauge, as this is a scarf):

- Cast on 40 stitches (I used a double/long tail/continental cast-on - whatever you call it).
- Row 1: Purl
- Row 2: *P1, knit next st in the row below, allowing old stitch to drop from needle; rep from *, end p2
- Repeat Row 2 only

Change the colour when you find the block at your desired length.

partydiva
12-30-2005, 01:22 PM
I'm just loving your scarves. They are very nice. I think you're doing an excellent job. Keep up the good work :happydance:

Elemmaciltur
12-30-2005, 06:12 PM
Thank you very much Partydiva!!!

Anyhow, the new scarf is being put on hold....now I'm working on my new iPod-Sock with cables! After I've done two lots of cables and found the middle patch of garter stitches too boring, I started to twist the stitches in the middle into a cross right twisted stitch! What do you guys think?

http://static.flickr.com/42/79504696_53799ed5dc.jpg

Jillle
12-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Wow. Love your cables. :inlove:
I'm a newbie too, but I've not tried cables yet. Did you learn from the KH videos?
Jill

Ingrid
12-30-2005, 09:02 PM
You continue to astound me--creative and daring!! :cheering: :cheering:

MarieApril
12-30-2005, 09:05 PM
Be my knitting buddy, please!!

Im also new at this and you are right about where I am. (and my youre my age and have a blog also)

I can cable, but haven't actually completed anything yet. I think I might begin working on a cabled belt of some sort.

Do you order your yarn online?

Elemmaciltur
12-31-2005, 05:56 AM
Jillie, you should try your hands out at different patterns. I had been doodling with small swatches just to try out patterns. Cables are a bit awkward to work with (I can't get these U-shaped cable needles here - I live in Germany, but I'm not German - but only these striaght needle with a V in it), but the result is rewarding and well worth the try! I started learning the basics with the free videos here on KH, but cables and twists and all those tricks I've learned from Knitting for Dummies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076455395X/qid=1135805977/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3415045-1268942?n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

Ingrid, thank you very much for your comment! Keeps me going well! ;)

MarieApril, Hahaha, sure I can be your knitting buddy. No, I don't buy yarns online (not yet)...I haven't found a German online yarn shop (I live in Germany), besides I've my favourite yarn shop here that could get me most of the things I need at the moment:

http://static.flickr.com/6/75854369_24b3a7ca93.jpg

Although when I start doing more daring things and need special yarns, I should start looking online then....although I'm sure the shop could order things in for me. :thinking: BTW, what's your Blog URL then?

Jaxhil
12-31-2005, 03:17 PM
Wow, I can't believe you've just started knitting!! Both of the scarves are *beautiful*! I call my 'mistakes' creative designing, lol.

Welcome! I think this group is one of the friendliest (and funniest :D ) groups around-I know I have found it so.

Angelia
01-01-2006, 08:44 AM
Welcome! :waving:

I love that you're just diving into knitting--it's the only way to go, mistakes and all! :thumbsup:

Your scarves are lovely--they look so cozy and warm, too! That new one is going to be gorgeous. I love the yarn selections.

Happy New Year!

njknitter
01-01-2006, 09:27 AM
I did my first pair of socks a couple of weeks ago and was happy to finish the first...when it got time to do the second I felt very "been there, done that". So now I'm doing a pair of socks both at the same time on circular needles (http://www.socknitters.com/2circs/index.htm)! Really hairy at first to cast on and set up, but now that I'm well into the cuffs it is a great technique. Might feel differently when it comes time to turn the heels! I'd suggest doing socks on DP needles first before trying this method...

OMG! Thank you so much for the replies and the comments!!!! I'm feeling very welcomed now!

Anyhow, got some vouchers for Christmas and just went a bit mad on yarns and needles today. Am going to try tackle a pair of socks soon. Didn't get around to my new scarf that much yet yesterday due to my doodling with practicing patterns - got some basketweave done as well as twists and a knitted plaid - ;) So, no photos just yet....I can't wait to try out the dpns (my first time) and making socks! (Gotta learn increases/decreases, etc. for it still)

Mer
01-01-2006, 03:06 PM
Wonderful job! And welcome to the forum. :D

Elemmaciltur
01-02-2006, 06:52 AM
njknitter, thank you for your link! I tried to knit on dpns yesterday and have something going. Although it's very loose, I'm going to keep on going doing this practice sock. It's my very first knit-in-the-round project and my first time working with dpns. Kinda fun actually to find that I suddenly have one or two stitches appearing magically on each dpn. *LOL* But that doesn't matter, I just want to keep knitting this one side (I have only enough yarn for this one side, so it's solely for practicing).

Mer, thanks for welcoming me!!!!

mailgirl
01-02-2006, 09:13 AM
:cheering: great job! The scarves look great! :XX:

Marni
01-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Dang, I feel like I've just been left in the dust! Very nice knitting... and you're so ambitious. I'm still messing around with scarves, though I want to move onto something more dangerous like a hat and someday be good enough to knit socks. I don't have the confidence yet to take on dpn's though I really really want to learn!

Is your claim to fame that you're a 'natural' or do you think "Knitting for Dummies" and Stitch n Bitch helped a lot? What made you decide to start knitting? :thinking: Hmm maybe need to make a trip to Amazon and look for that book.

Elemmaciltur
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Mailgirl, Thank you!

Marni, no idea whether I'm leaving you in the dusts or not. I mean, I'm still knitting scarves and iPod-Socks....the normal sock on dpns is pretty daring, but I'll see how far I'll get. I haven't yet claimed myself to be a natural, but some of the people are saying so. The only thing I've learned from Stitch N Bitch sessions so far was how to bind off. Otherwise, the emphasis lies on 'bitching'. *LOL* Yes, 'Knitting for Dummies' has tought me LOTS, although sometimes I find the instructions hard to understand, but I could always try it out and in no time, I'd figure it out what they meant. ;) Definitely look for that book, it's worth it.

Elemmaciltur
01-03-2006, 09:29 AM
The new scarf's coming along nicely now....I need to figure out another way to join the colours. Up to this moment, I've been knitting a row in double yarn in different colours, but the yarns kept twisting and so the joints don't look that tidy....hmmmm...I mean, this scarf's going to be for myself anyway and I can live, if not actually love my 'artistical freedom' and individuality expressed by such way. *LOL* Otherwise, any suggestions about joining yarn colours apart from tying a knot on the edges?

http://static.flickr.com/39/81489805_2c45e0729d.jpg

BTW, Marni, I forgot to mention in my last reply why I started knitting. First, I was looking for a new hobby. Second, I want to do something productive...and third, which is the most important reason, I was trying to find a therapy to calm myself down and distract me away from the problems I'm having with my bf and the fact that our relationship is falling apart....but well, nothing to be talking about here.

MarieApril
01-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Did you try any of the "basic techniques" shown in the videos on this website?

Elemmaciltur
01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
MarieApril, yes, of course I did. If I'm right, you're talking about my joining the yarns. However, it's just the fact that I don't want to felt the colours together, or make a knot. But I think that I'm going to make a knot anyway and then try tucking it into the side. For what I've done already...well, I'll just have to try tugging it around to tidy up a bit. ;)

Ingrid
01-03-2006, 07:35 PM
You don't even have to knot. Start knitting with the new color and you can weave in the ends later.

Elemmaciltur
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Ingrid, yeah, I know...the suggestions had been made to me. I actually wonder why I didn't do that in the first place....and ended up knitting a whole row with the two colours. *sighs* So, I thought that I'd just carry on knitting up the two colours together for the first three colour changes....well, after this, I'll just knit with the new colour.

lovermont
01-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Wow! Excellent work! I've only known how to knit for 24 hours - I'm inspired!!

:D

Calabaza
01-03-2006, 10:15 PM
Your stuff is amazing. lol I wish I could have the courage to fallow a project through. lol Keep up the good work!

Elemmaciltur
01-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Lovermont, Calabaza: Thank you very much! Such comments always encourage me!

So, peeps, tragedy striked my scarf last night. While knitting it, I pulled too hard and some stitches came off the needles, unravelled themselves into several rows below. I tried to save it with my crotchet needle...but it was far from saving. So, I've frogged the last part and starting off from the beginning again (I can't unravel all of them, because I've weaved in the yarns already and made some minuscule knots when I've done it). Oh, well, I guess that it's better so, so that I can make the scarf perfect this time, especially with the colour joins. *fingers crossed*

Lesson learned: Don't knit at 3 in the morning, especially when you have hardly slept the day before.

Lana
01-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Holy cow!!! You're not only good, you're fast too.
Lana :X:

Ingrid
01-04-2006, 11:57 PM
Its funny that when I'm up really late knitting, I feel like I'm flying. In the morning I notice all the goofs. :rollseyes:

Elemmaciltur
01-05-2006, 05:13 AM
@Lana, just wait until you see where I'm at with my new try....almost at the same place with my old one! :shock:

@Ingrid, *LOL*

http://static.flickr.com/36/82562068_b0fd66569e.jpg

So, after about a day of on and off knitting, I got up back up to where I was before I frogged. As you can see, left is the old one that I frogged and the right one is the new one I'm doing.

Incredible, but I think that the phrase "practice makes perfect" is pretty true. The stitches on the new one is very even. I mean, look at the left edges of the old one and you can see where it twisted and turned, nothing of that on the right one (okay, I just hope that it won't twist and turn when I weave the ends in)...

http://static.flickr.com/36/82562069_6be545af91.jpg

And I mean, look at the colour joins. Now I just knitted the first stitch of the two colours together, dropped the old colour and carried on with the new colour only...and now the join is clean! Compare the old (left) one and the new (right) one!

The only thing I have to figure out now is what I should do with the old one. I'm actually considering binding it off somehow (provisional bind-off, is there such a thing?) and then throw it in the washing machine to see if it would felt...just for fun. *LOL*

Elemmaciltur
01-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Ooooh, my thread's going down-under!

Anyhow, now photo just yet. But the new scarf's coming along very well. I'm almost finished with the second lot of stripes now. Hope to be able to do lots more tonight and tomorrow and on Sunday at Stitch N Bitch session. I hope that I'll be able to finish it before Monday afternoon, since I want to wear it to uni. Will make a photo update on Sunday after the SnB session!

Ingrid
01-06-2006, 06:07 PM
It's so true that the more you knit, the better you get--you're living proof. You can run a piece of yarn through the stitches in the top of the first one, but if it does felt, I don't know what it will look like. :thinking: If it's wool that's not treated to be machine washable, it should felt. Or you can unravel it and reuse the yarn.

Elemmaciltur
01-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Thanks Ingrid!

However, I think the scarf's cursed. On Saturday night I found a knot in the ball of yarn...thought it'd be okay to knit it in. Did so, and three rows afterwards the knot unravelled. I frogged the scarf at the SnB yesterday and felted the yarns together, re-inserted the needles and kept knitting. There are war scars on that scarf now. Came home and started the new stripe colour, knitted away and pulled out another knot from a different ball! I was flabbergasted! So, felted that, too.

I finally found an Addi needle (don't know whether it's Addi Turbo or not, because it just says Addi on the cable. Can someone please verify this for me? If it's a turbo, would the 'Addi Turbos' be printed on the needles/cable or just 'Addi'?).

Anyhow, as promised here's the scarf, with some war scars (the BIG war scar you can't see here, I hid it):

http://static.flickr.com/38/84516205_2109aa530b.jpg

partydiva
01-09-2006, 06:54 PM
Your scarves are very nice. I showed my DH yours and he was in :shock: . He requested on like the striped one but I just laughed. I'm not gonna knit him a nice scarf for him to only wear it once. I love your color choices too. I was looking hard for the scar on the last one, and then I went back and read it again - very clever of you.

Ingrid
01-09-2006, 07:19 PM
That looks like an Addi to me! When you see 'glitches' in your scarf remember that the only time it will be laying out flat is when you take pictures of it.

As for knots--I've been finding knots in my Dale of Norway yarn and it's annoying--can felt them either since it's cotton.

Jillle
01-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Your scarf looks great! Ingrid's right. No one will ever notice the war wounds.
Hey, I was reading your blog and I'm so sorry about the difficulties your having with your boyfriend. Keep your spirits up! You're right about being productive to keep your mind off your troubles. Keep :XX: I'll be thinking good thoughts for you. :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
01-11-2006, 07:17 AM
@Partydiva, what's DH?? "Dear Husband"? :thinking: Thank you for the kind comment and I really can feel proud of myself that people actually like my works.

@Ingrid, yeah...well, I think I'd be tearing my hair out if I found another knot in another ball.

@Jillie, Thank you very much! Leave me a comment on my blog the next time you visit, okay?

Now, back to knitting. I had to take time out from the scarf and turned to my iPod-Sock instead. I finished sewing it up together this morning. I actually managed to do perfect kitchener stitches on one side while the pieces were lying flat beside each other....but when it came to the other side when the pieces aren't lying flat anymore...well, I guess everyone knows the dilemma. It's not perfect. But overall, I'm happy with the result: A very individual and beautiful iPod-Sock!

Front:

http://static.flickr.com/42/85166818_e0ba3dbce1_m.jpg

Back:

http://static.flickr.com/41/85166819_3ced4a3378_m.jpg

Ingrid
01-11-2006, 09:05 AM
Looks like a pro did it!! Great job--you're a natural. :thumbsup:

dustinac
01-12-2006, 09:55 AM
:shock: wow you did a great job on everything!!! your a natural born knitter!!! Everything looks wonderful :cheering: :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
01-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Ingrid, dustinac, wow! Thanks for your comments and supports!!! You guys are great!

I kinda got sick with the Fisherman's Rib scarf and needed other distraction, so I started doing the hat for my mum's birthday. Not doing gauge or anthing...couldn't be bothered...this is just the bottom ribbing:

http://static.flickr.com/43/85973721_7049319daa.jpg

...Now, I need help. Can you do Fisherman's Rib (p1, k1 in the stitch below; end on p2) in the round? This is my first circular knitting project. Apart from that...any idea how I'm supposed to close this hat off, i.e. how do I go about decreasing when I get towards the top? (there are 76 stitches at the moment)...if Fisherman's Rib doesn't work, I'll just do stockinette stitches, since the yarn's interesting enough.

Jillle
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I've done a few ribbed hats. Mine are K3, P2 ribbing.
After you have about 5" I start my decreasing. At the point when it gets too small to work on the circs, switch to double pointed needles.
I'm also a newbie. Someone else might have better advice. Good luck! The hat looks great.

Elemmaciltur
01-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Jillie, thanks for the suggestion. But like I said, the ribbing (4x4) is going to be the base. The body I want to do in Fisherman's Rib.

Anyhow, here're all the projects I've on my needles now. You can also see that I've started a sock on dpns!!!! For the full story, go and read it HERE on my blog (http://numenna.blogspot.com/2006/01/scarf-hat-and-sock.html):

http://static.flickr.com/36/86364792_c51c08a2fc.jpg

Marni
01-14-2006, 01:43 PM
Holy cow... :shock: you must have been born to knit! :D Those all look really, really good. Way to go!

Ingrid
01-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Any pattern stitch that you normally do on the right side of a flat knit project can be done on circs. The difference comes in when you have to do the back. You have to reverse all stitches as they are written in flat in order to knit in the round. This shouldn't be a problem if its a matter of knit the knits and purl the purls, though.

As for decreasing, there is a formula on this site (http://www.mielkesfarm.com/bsic_hat.htm) that helps you to decrease evenly based on the number of stitches you have on your hat.

That yarn is gorgeous, what is it?

Elemmaciltur
01-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Marni, thank you!

Ingrid, thank you for the decreasing tip. I've read it, but still don't get it. I'll leave it until I have to get around to the decrease. What do you mean about having to 'reverse the pattern' in order to knit in the round. You mean, from back to front? Then in my fisherman's rib pattern (p1, k1 in the stitch below, end on p2), I'd have to do the second row as follow: p2, k1 in the stitch below, end on p1? Or do I have to go: k1 in the stitch below, p1, end on...errr...whatever that comes? :?? BTW, the yarn I'm using for the hat is: Bingo Print from Lana Grossa, colour #317 (100% pure virgin/merino wool)

Elemmaciltur
01-17-2006, 06:08 AM
http://static.flickr.com/41/87749801_8486754ef8.jpg

Yeah, I did pretty well with my worsted-weight sock. I was very excited last night when it came to turning the heel. I managed to turn it! I was elated!!! Yay!

Then it came to the heel gusset and I had to pick up 11 stitches from the heel flap on each side. In the picture above you can see that I had already picked up stitches on one of the side already. Then I went on to pick the stitches on the other side. I was feeling pretty smugged for having learned how to pick up stitches on the vertical edge in about 5 minutes (although I doubt I actually got it right - can somebody explain it to me? I put in the needle in to the knitted stitch, wrap the yarn around the needle and pull it through that knitted stitch to make a new not-knitted stitch that I leave on the needle?)

Now, the thing was, in the instruction, it told you only to pick up 11 stitches along the heel flap sides. HOWEVER, it didn't mention about the fact that you were supposed to be picking the stitches up EVENLY along the edge and that it should be covering the length of the heel flap! So, in the picture above, you can see where I stopped, there's a small space still. You should see what happened to the other side....*LOL*

http://static.flickr.com/36/87749802_73e1ba7411.jpg

Well, what happened to the other side of the heel flap was that I picked up 11 stitches VERY closely to each other. Thus, it ended up half way through the heel flap.

Didn't give it much thought (well, it was getting late). I was elated that I actually picked up stitches! Anyway, started to shape the gusset and went on knitting in the round again. When I came to joining the leg with the heel, that's when I thought: "Oh, BUGGER!"

I tried to frog the thing, but somehow, I just didn't have the spirit to pick up all the stitches any more. So, I decided that I did well enough already for my first sock....especially after I had been knitting for only about a month and a half. ;) I pulled out all the dpns and threaded a thread through all the live stitches....and I'll keep this as my first trophy of a sock! I'm still proud of myself that I got that far! ;)

Elemmaciltur
01-18-2006, 06:16 PM
*Gaaaaahhhh* Nobody's replying to my posts!

Anyhow, fellow knitters, the sock-fever has me in its grip!

http://static.flickr.com/41/88332703_4ea0d53b8e.jpg

Calabaza
01-18-2006, 06:20 PM
Everything you do is wonderful. lol the sock looks hard. Wish I could give you some advise. But I've never done a sock before!! And the yarn looks yummy!! :inlove:

Ingrid
01-18-2006, 07:00 PM
That's a very interesting sock! :D Many people around here have sock fever--apparently it's very contagious.

What I meant about reversing when knitting in the round is that what is a purl will be a knit and vice versa. I'm afraid that I can't give much advice about the fisherman's stitch. Too hard to envision. :thinking:

Jenelle
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
:shock: I am.. Impressed... AND jelous :lol:

You are doing very well for a newbie knitter.

I think everyone is right.. you ARE a natural born knitter!

MarieApril
01-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Do the socks take long? I knitted up a pair of baby booties and they were fantastic fun bc they were fast....

I think youd look cute in the Marley Scarf....http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter05/PATTmarleysghost.html

kemp
01-19-2006, 02:34 AM
Fabulous scarves!

Elemmaciltur
01-19-2006, 07:08 AM
Calabaza, Ingrid, Janelle, Kemp, awwwww...thank you so much! You guys are the best! Really get me motivated to knit more and more!

MarieApril, yeah, I saw that scarf before...but I'm afraid of felting...but thinking about it now, I think that it looks really flashy and would look great on me! I could do it with lighter weight wool - so that it still would felt - and maybe I can wear it in Spring! But first I have about three projects on the needles right now and a fourth one in coming...not to mention the fifth and sixth project that I'll need to knit for the Knitting Olympics in February! *urgh* I'm crazy about knitting now: :XX:

http://static.flickr.com/19/88531600_b517926d26.jpg

The Yarn-Eater-Fisherman's-Rib-Scarf is growing slowly, but steadily. Haven't done much more to my mum's hat in variegated blue, because I caught the knitted-sock-bug....as y'all had seen...and also the new one in the picture that I'm giving my second attempt at knitting socks to. The blue-white-rusty brown-variegated yarns you see there will become a Clapotis for my best friend in New Zealand (shhhhh, it's a surprise!). Yes, you heard it right, it's going to become a CLAPOTIS (http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html)

I'm ambitious!

Ingrid
01-19-2006, 09:07 AM
There have been a number of people here who have knit Clapotis, so you're in good company. :thinking: What's the plural of Clapitis--Clapoti?

Sounds like you've got the fever, for sure! ;)

Lana
01-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Its funny that when I'm up really late knitting, I feel like I'm flying. In the morning I notice all the goofs. :rollseyes:

I'm taking some time to browse this morning and am enjoying this thread.
I was knitting 'til midnight last night. I'm afraid to look at it in the light of day! :frog:
:roflhard:

:XY: Elemmaciltur, not only are you a fantastic knitter, but you have excellent taste in yarns. :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
01-19-2006, 04:28 PM
:XY: Elemmaciltur, not only are you a fantastic knitter, but you have excellent taste in yarns. :thumbsup: [/color]

Awwwwww....thank you!!! I just choose what I like.

Okay, I'm just going to copy my blog post here...I have a question at the end though:

http://static.flickr.com/29/88653030_d985db8837.jpg

Today, I went to a LYS before going to university and looked at yarns. I finally found the yarns I'll be using for the two Knitting Olympics scarves! The blue one's going to become the Irish Hiking Scarf.

Now, you see that dark variegate coloured yarn? That's Lana Grossa's Mega Stoppino (65% Virgin Wool and 35% Acrylic, colour #303; about EUR 4/50g ball). It's kind of a substitute for the Noro Kureyon (starting at almost EUR 8 per 50 gramm hank *urgh*) I was eyeing the other day. The Mega Stoppino is really nice (surprisingly I quite like it, even though it's mixed)...especially the colour. It's main colour is black, spun with variegated dark blue-turquoise-green. It's just looks sooooo yummy! I already kind of have a pattern for it in mind: it definitely will have a body of basket-weave, but I'm going to work each end into another pattern. This is going to be interesting!

And yes, I also couldn't resist picking up another Meilenweit for a future sock project! *LOL*

And now look at my stash, it's overflowing! (Believe you me, under that surface, it's stuffed full of yummy yarns!):

http://static.flickr.com/24/88653032_e575c7b8f6.jpg

Now, the question is:

For that variegated pattern that I'm going to do, on each end I'm working a pattern that calls for 40 stitches + 1 edge stitch, while the body of the scarf will be in basket weave which calls for a multiple of 8 stitches plus 5 stitches. Which probably means that I'll have about 45 stitches....while the end will call for only 41 stitches. I mean, I could do the basket weave in 37 stitches, so that the end will flare out a bit...but because it's not an even number in stitches, would the flaring out be lop-sided? What do you guys say? (Otherwise I'll find another pattern for the ends).

rebecca
01-19-2006, 06:17 PM
My apologies for not having made a post about all of this STUPENDOUS :X: (I've not been around of late..shouldn't be here now..lol!)!!!! Just....WOW!! Aren't u just a natural?! YIPPEE KIYAY is all that I can say! You are certainly doing an excellent job with each and every project. And when I saw the photo of the sock I knew (as I always do ;) ) that we had another future sock knitting addict among us. Well, I can tell you this...We Sock Knitting Addicts are Many...BUT; there are none that are anonymous among us (none worth their salt, as my mom used to say, anyway ;) )...and we are PROUD to admit that we are addicts...there are no 12 step programs, as if there were a need..who in his/her right mind would want to stop knitting socks I ask?! All said to say...JOBS WELL DONE, my friend :happydance: :cheering: :happydance: :cheering:

Ingrid
01-19-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't think one stitch is going to unbalance the ends.

Elemmaciltur
01-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Rebecca, thank you!!! The sock's on hold at the moment, since I'm battling with a lace pattern at the moment. :p

Ingrid, well, you're right...however, I've found a lace pattern that I want to put on the end of the scarf. However....I can't manage to do laces! I've posted in the how-to section...maybe you could help me out. Just go and read it there. ;)

Elemmaciltur
01-20-2006, 04:53 PM
Oh, peeps, it's caught me...and it's caught me bad.

No, not the avian flu.....

But the KNITTED-SOCK-FLU!!!!!!! :shock:

I just couldn't resist it anymore. The Regia 4-Ply sock on my 2.5 mm dpns, is all nice and soft....but it's charcoal black BORING!

So, I went into the LYS after uni and just picked out a Meilenweit randomly (even though I have two skeins of that at home already - I'm sooooo addicted to yarns)...got home, crammed out my 3 mm dpns without even taking my coats off and started casting on! (in the meanwhile, i have changed and eaten - just for the record)

http://static.flickr.com/38/89013014_bc4b0094d3.jpg

I had to resist getting a ball of the Mega Stoppino with the excuse of 'trying the pattern and checking for gauge', because I know that I won't be able to resist the temptation to actually knit before the Olympics really start. *sigh* I want to start knitting with that yarn!!!! Okay...maybe I should just start the Clapotis, too...just to keep my mind off things (not to mention that now I have the followings on the needles:

- The Yarn-Eating-Monster-Fisherman's-Rib-Scarf
- The Variegated Blue cabled hat for my mum
- 4-Ply Regia sock
- The freshly started Meilenweit Fantasie

and here're what I'll start soon:

- Irish Hiking Scarf (for the Olympics)
- Basket Weave with either probably laced ends or some kind of ends with the Mega Stoppino (for the Olympics)
- Clapotis (for my best friend in New Zealand)

I think I need to join the Knitter's Anonymous (http://www.knittersanonymous.com/index.htm).

Ingrid
01-20-2006, 06:01 PM
You're already a card-carrying member of KA. We all are. ;) You indulge in the good stuff, too!

Elemmaciltur
01-21-2006, 03:59 PM
@Ingrid, but I want the REAL card! Anyway, do you remember that I was whining about the lace pattern? Well, I've scanned the pattern and was going to post them here, but I think I might get into copyright trouble for it. So, I was wondering whether you could PM me your email and I'll email the pattern over to you with the symbol interpretation I translated into English? Maybe you'd be able to help me out when you see it.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ingrid
01-21-2006, 04:16 PM
I looked at your question in the How To sections, and I came up with 19 stitches, I believe. I couldn't make it 10 + 5. You can pm me the pattern here, or just click the email button on the bottom if you prefer. Here is good because I can respond as I look at it. I won't publish your pattern. ;)

Elemmaciltur
01-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey, peepz! It's finally finished!!! My newest scarf (sorry, but my phone cam tends to the blue side, I'll make a better photo tomorrow!):

http://static.flickr.com/21/89913407_421c7504fc.jpg

dominicanbaby111
01-22-2006, 07:28 PM
That is such a good scarf has a natural tone from the brown and cream :thumbsup: :happydance:

Ingrid
01-22-2006, 07:29 PM
Man, oh, man! That looks like an ad from a major department store. Just perfect! :cheering:

Calabaza
01-22-2006, 07:42 PM
It looks wonderful!!!! :) Great Job

Jillle
01-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Yay! :cheering: The yarn eating scarf is finished...and its looks great!

Angelia
01-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Beautiful! :inlove: :inlove: Wow! :thumbsup:

dustinac
01-24-2006, 09:53 AM
:thumbsup: Great job!!!!

Elemmaciltur
01-26-2006, 07:40 AM
dominicanbaby111, Ingrid, calabaza, Jillie, Angelia, dustinac, awwwwww, thank you sooooo much! I had a bit of a tantrum with that scarf for the last three days, because I didn't slip the first stitch when I knitted it, so the side's filled with loops where I darn in the loose ends. What happen is that when the scarf's stretched a bit, the loose ends start to snake towards each other and make the side all wavy. Anyhow, I decided to pull all the ends out in the middle and tie them in a knot together and tuck it back in the loops again...now it's perfect!!!! *YAY!!* (A friend of mine and I were working out the price for the scarf based on the yarn and the number of hours I spent making the scarf on a minimum wage...and the scarf would cost roughly about EUR 200! :shock: )

Sorry that I haven't been up on the knitting front in the past few days. If you read my blog, yoU'll know what I'd been up to.

Now, I need some help here - again. I finally swatch a pattern that I'll probably be using for the scarf. The problem is, it doesn't seem to want to do a mirror image of itself:

http://static.flickr.com/43/91363299_a50192e7a5.jpg

Now, from the bottom up you see the normal, correct pattern:

CO 23 sts.

Row 1: k5, k2tog, k4, yo, k1, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k5
Row 2, 4 and 6: purl
Row 3: k4, k2tog, k4, yo, k3, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k4
Row 5: k3, k2tog, k4, yo, k5, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k3
Row 7: k2, k2tog, k4, yo, k2, p3, k2, yo, k 4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k2
Row 8: p10, k3, p10
Row 9: k1, k2tog, k4, yo, k3, p3, k3, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k1
Row 10: purl

Now, I've done two repeats of that and started working backwards, but the bloom curved the same way as the normal pattern. (Now, you can see the top half and how the blook still curve from the bottom up, instead of two seperate petals from the side going towards the middle in the top.)

How can I get the bloom the curve in a mirrored way??? (like when you turn the picture upside down and take the top) I've tried swapping the k2tog and the sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso already, but still it's still curving the wrong way.

Maybe I'll got to an LYS and ask them, too...but it'd be great if you guys could also help me out!

BTW, if you want to know, the yarn is Lana Grossa's Mega Stoppino Colour #204

Ingrid
01-26-2006, 08:56 AM
What I've seen in similar scarves is one of two things. Either make two halves and graft them together in the middle, or start with a provisional cast on on one half and then pick up those live stitches stitches and work the other way for the other half. You'll get an exact mirror image without having to try to reverse the shaping of all the stitches. I'm not sure that that's possible. :thinking:

Elemmaciltur
01-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Thanks, ingrid, for the advice, but I don't think that it'll work well with variegated colour yarn such as I'm using, because the colour won't run into eachother smoothly.

One of my friend suggested that I should swap the places of the YOs and the k2tog/sl1k1psso (shouldn't I also be turning the the pattern upside down, too?). Anyway, I'll try that tonight. Gotta run!

Danielle
01-26-2006, 01:10 PM
Great job on everything!! You have been very busy!! :cheering: :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
01-26-2006, 05:43 PM
yellowa_vw_beetle, thanks!

Okay, a friend on an expat forum I'm on - who's also a knitter, but doesn't come to our SnB group - just helped me out. She tried the pattern and wrote the mirror pattern for me:

So I started with your original 10 rows...
Row 1: k5, k2tog, k4, yo, k1, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k5
Row 2, 4 and 6: purl
Row 3: k4, k2tog, k4, yo, k3, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k4
Row 5: k3, k2tog, k4, yo, k5, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k3
Row 7: k2, k2tog, k4, yo, k2, p3, k2, yo, k 4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k2
Row 8: p10, k3, p10
Row 9: k1, k2tog, k4, yo, k3, p3, k3, yo, k4, sl1 knit-wise, k1, psso, k1
Row 10: p10, k3, p10
(Row 11-12: you might want to knit two rows even here, before you change direction. Depends on whether you want a curve or a corner. If not...)
Row 11: k1, yo, s1k1psso, k4, yo, s1k1psso, k1, p3, k1, k2tog, yo, k4, k2tog, yo, k1
Row 12: p1, p into the back of the yo, p8, k3, p8, p into the back of the yo, p1. Always purl into the back of the first and last yo from the previous row, so there will be no hole, but I'm not going to type that in subsequent purl rows, okay?
Row 13: k2, yo, s1k1psso, k4, yo, s1k1psso, k3, k2tog, yo, k4, k2tog, yo, k2
Row 14, 16, and 18: purl
Row 15: k3, yo, s1k1psso, k4, yo, s1k1psso, k1, k2tog, yo, k4, k2tog, yo, k3
Row 17: k4, yo, s1k1psso, k4, yo, s1, k2tog, psso, yo, k4, k2tog, yo, k4

I just tried it out:

http://static.flickr.com/30/91520900_05e8cc7ae0.jpg

It kinda works. But the curves aren't as nice as only the edge of the curve curves in and not the whole petal (I'm calling it petal, because the pattern's name is 'tulip')...besides, I don't really like how the row 17 sl1k2togpsso looks...

I'll have to reconsider the pattern. Either I'll have to give in and just leave it without the mirroring...or just try out another pattern and try mirroring that...or just find a pattern that's symmetrical! I'll see. Any suggestions?

Elemmaciltur
01-29-2006, 09:02 AM
Whoa, my thread's going down-under!

Anyway, here's the update on the knitting front:

http://static.flickr.com/30/92546759_01600d1d35.jpg

I've done quite a bit on the the shaft of the Meilenweit Fantasie. I did that on Friday night, during five glasses of 2000 Carinena Reserva - it's a miracle I didn't muck up the sock. A whole other story is the Clapotis. I was knitting it up last night with three glasses of the said wine....and mucked it up BIG TIME that I ended up frogging it and restart. Anyhow, that's how far I've gotten last night after restarting...which is actually further than it was pre-frogging. ;)

Hope y'all are having a great Weekend!

Andrea
01-29-2006, 10:00 AM
I've done quite a bit on the the shaft of the Meilenweit Fantasie. I did that on Friday night, during five glasses of 2000 Carinena Reserva - it's a miracle I didn't muck up the sock. A whole other story is the Clapotis. I was knitting it up last night with three glasses of the said wine....and mucked it up BIG TIME that I ended up frogging it and restart. Anyhow, that's how far I've gotten last night after restarting...which is actually further than it was pre-frogging. ;)

Hope y'all are having a great Weekend!

:fingerwag: See, that's why you shouldn't drink and knit!! Believe me, I've been there!! (Insert drunk smiley here)
:roflhard:

Ingrid
01-29-2006, 10:01 AM
That sock yarn knits up beautifully!! Love it! It will be interesting to see what the clapotis looks like with the dropped stitches in it with that yarn.

I had another thought about your reversible lace pattern--you could wind your yarn the other way so the colors are reversed and if you decided to knit two ends of the scarf as a mirror image, the colors would be the same, too.

Elemmaciltur
01-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Andrea, yeah...lesson learned. ;)

Ingrid, yes, indeed I could try that. However, I've abandoned the idea of mirroring the lace pattern now. Besides I've just tried out another pattern that I quite like and probably will use:

http://static.flickr.com/23/92802515_525ec3b8cb.jpg

(The colour of the swatch is a bit off...stupid camera phone) I might try to block this swatch to see whether it looks better...and just to try my hand out at blocking. Have to go and get a blocking board tomorrow.

Ingrid
01-29-2006, 07:32 PM
Nice pattern! Hard to believe you've only been at this a couple of months!

Elemmaciltur
01-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Why, thank you, Ingrid!!!

I couldn't resist:

http://static.flickr.com/39/93211954_c2ee6ab9c6.jpg

YES, I couldn't resist!!! You know, I kinda flipped out at HeWhoMustNotBeNamed this evening...I'd been really patient with him in the past month after our huge crisis....and now I think I deserve something back. I can't really talk about what it's all about, because he asked me not to talk about it yet (not about our crisis, but it's tied together). So...I mean, I'd told him a couple of days ago that it's time now to turn the tide my way for the while...and until now...nothing's happened. So, I kinda blew up on the phone today.

Well, to calm myself down, I've decided to go on a little spree and went ahead and got myself two skeins of 50g Noro Silk Garden! What spurred me on this was the fact that I came to realise that the other guy at the SnB's actually knitting with a Noro (I'm not sure whether it's normal Kureyon or Silk Garden)...and it's just sooooooo nice that I really am itiching to make something with Noro. It's going to become a Basket Weave scarf for myself. No way I'm giving this away. This is Noro Silk Garden - 45% Silk, 45% Kid Mohair, 10% Lamb's Wool - and a 50g skein costs a bleeding EUR 12.95! So, two skeins of that cost me a freaking fortune already! So, NO WAY I'm giving this away!

Okay, that's all for now, I'm going to go cast on for my scarf....and I'm on to my third glass of 2004 Nero d'Avola....yes, dangerous!

Elemmaciltur
01-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Okay, this is how far I've got with my Noro Silk Garden Basketweave scarf.

http://static.flickr.com/39/93558658_78077871df.jpg

It's such a beautiful yarn. It's got this real great feeling to it...and besides, it smells exceptionally good comparing to all the other yarns I've worked with up until now.

And I've discovered the magic of blocking! First you need to take a look at my lace swatch from a couple of posts back...that was pre-block. And now, voilà, post-block:

http://static.flickr.com/25/93558659_e038a8652e.jpg

margie
01-31-2006, 02:26 PM
I love that Noro! The scarf looks gorgeous already. :cheering:

Jenelle
01-31-2006, 02:28 PM
I agree with Margie! :cheering: :thumbsup:

JENinIA
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Looks great! I admire that you are even trying more than one color in a scarf. I have been knitting for a few months now and still am just scared to change colors!

Elemmaciltur
01-31-2006, 04:06 PM
Looks great! I admire that you are even trying more than one color in a scarf. I have been knitting for a few months now and still am just scared to change colors!

No, it's not that hard. I mean, if you're doing blocks of colour, it's not hard at all....my first scarf - it was my first project - was a green-red-christmas-scarf. So, I actually started off doing two colours at once....now if you're talking about Fair Isle or Intarsia, that's a whole other story.

Variegated yarns like the Noro offers you a fantastic colour runs that you don't even have to change the colours even! Don't get discouraged! :XX:

Jillle
01-31-2006, 04:29 PM
Looks great. I :heart: Noro. That basketweave is on my "to do" list.

JENinIA
01-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Variegated yarns like the Noro offers you a fantastic colour runs that you don't even have to change the colours even! Don't get discouraged! :XX:

Thanks for the vote of confidence! I did try to do a striped booga bag and just can't seem to get rid of the color jogs which I really am not happy about (even after reading about and trying all of those jogless jog tips online)! I went ahead and ordered some of that Noro, so hopefully that will get me over my fear!

Elemmaciltur
01-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Jenelle, Margie, Jillie, thank you very much! You guys are great and sooo supportive!

I went ahead and ordered some of that Noro, so hopefully that will get me over my fear!

Jeninia, whoa! You just went ahead for the Noro Silk Garden? I mean, okay, if you have the money for it. It took me a while before I gave in to the Noro, because the Silk Garden costs EUR 12.95/50g skein here in Germany (the normal Kureyon with 100% virgin wool costs EUR 9.95/50g skein, but I don't like the texture - I've worked pretty much with pure 100% virgin merino wool). Exceptions I'm making are the sock yarns...and I also have a substitute for Noro, and that's the Lana Grossa's Mega Stoppino/Mega Fiamma...both of them are practically the same thing (mix of wool and acrylic)...but I think that Stoppino's a bit more fluffy and more suitable for Winter. It's quite nice to work with and offers itself as a good substitute for Noro colour-wise. I mean, the Mega Stoppino/Fiamma costs only EUR 3.95/50g ball. It may feel harsh on the hands while you're working with it comparing to the Noro, but once you've blocked it, it becomes pretty nice and soft. (The blue/black and the citrus coloured lace pattern swatches I posted here are made with Mega Stoppino). So, hope that the infos help you!

JENinIA
01-31-2006, 09:37 PM
OOPS OOPS OOPS! I meant the Noro Kureyon- I am so sure not in the same league as the silk! Yikes! Didn't mean to scare you though (and my dh and my credit card company...) I ended up winning an auction on ebay that was $7 including shipping which I thought was pretty good for the Kureyon even!

Elemmaciltur
02-02-2006, 06:29 AM
JENinIA, ahhhh...then it's okay then. Like I said, I don't like the texture of the pure wool from the normal Kureyon...it's kinda stiff when knitted up...although blocking should help. (I work with only Merino virgin wool up until now).

'Twas a moment of horror last night when I picked up my Noro Basketweave scarf to knit again....and ta-da!!! What did I find? A KNOT IN THE YARN I JUST PULLED OUT OF THE SKEIN!!!!! You can see those live strands in the scarf! I mean, I had to cut it and knit the ends together. The worst things are that, the knot had to occur in the MIDDLE of the scarf...and on the RIGHT SIDE! Okay, I'll just darn that in afterwards on the WRONG side.

http://static.flickr.com/15/94433415_7e28742635.jpg

Peeps, this Noro Silk Garden costs EUR 12.95 per 50g skein! AND IT HAS A KNOT!!!! *screams and tears hair out* Thing is Crazy Aunt Purl (http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/) had the exact same problem (http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/archives/2005/03/im_kureyon_your.php) with the same yarn and pattern. One of the knit blogger told me on Blogger that Noro - despite its exorbitantly high price - has a huge knot-issue-problem within the yarn....it was to the point that she had to give up one of her project with Noro because there were so many knots in one skein! Now, I just hope that it won't happen to me. *sigh*

Elemmaciltur
02-02-2006, 06:34 PM
The result of today's yarn shopping spree:

http://static.flickr.com/33/94647046_4e403f0eba.jpg

Ingrid
02-02-2006, 06:37 PM
You've got it bad, man. 8-)

A bit jealous, here! ;)

TheLuckyOne
02-02-2006, 07:30 PM
Elemmaciltur, your stuff is absolutely amazing!!! I am in awe and am inspired by you, as I am a new knitter myself.

I wish I was in Germany, I think you and I would be great friends!

Cheers!

Calabaza
02-02-2006, 07:34 PM
I LOVE your yarn?? What is is??!! I love your stuff too!! :)

Elemmaciltur
02-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Ingrid, yeah, I got it REAL bad....

TheLuckyOne, thank you very much! I'm sure you'll catch on really fast and knit wonderful stuff!

Calabaza, the yarn is Lana Grossa's Mega Fiamma, colour #109, 65% virgin wool, 35% acrylic

Elemmaciltur
02-06-2006, 05:52 AM
Look at what I've achieved over the weekend:

http://static.flickr.com/21/96217497_92601dad71.jpg

That one is my moment of triumph when I picked it up on Saturday night thinking that before I start doing the heel flap and turning the heel and so forth and so on with my real Meilenweit sock, I should try my hands out again at it...so not to muck it up again like the last time.

Well, obviously I made it and am on to knitting up the instep and the sole. The only thing left for me to learn now is to shape the toe!

I got encouraged by this and made the heel flap and turned it and shaped the gusset last night!

http://static.flickr.com/27/96217496_8fe53ea89f.jpg

See? I made it....although I had a moment of shock last night that I somehow pulled too hard and a couple of stitches dropped while I was shaping the gusset....but well, I managed to rescue them. Seems like I'm getting more confident now with fixing mistakes!

There's still a lot to knit up on the foot...we'll see how long this will take. I want to finish this side off before the Knitting Olympics begins this Friday though....So, goodness knows when the other side's going to be knitted up. :p

dustinac
02-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Great job!!! Can't wait to see them done :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
02-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Dustinac, thank you very much! The socks aren't making any progress at the moment, since I'm busy knitting up other stuff....

My first REAL commissioned project was done last night. (I'm getting EUR 5 for this) It's a cellphone cozy for my friend. the phone I'm using to model is my old one, it's bigger than the phone the cozy's intended for. Anyway, here's the front with bobbles and laces:

http://static.flickr.com/32/97241849_3388efbe6c_m.jpg

And the back with 3x3 rib, to give the cozy some 'hugginess':

http://static.flickr.com/40/97241850_6dc389cee7_m.jpg

And this morning I just casted on another commissioned project: A scarf for another friend, who's also making me a scarf in return. The end(s) is in Moss Stitches and the body is in Basketweave (I :heart: the Basketweave pattern)...as you can see, the yarn I'm using for this scarf is that Lana Grossa Mega Fiamma #109 I bought last week (seems a lot of people love the colour):

http://static.flickr.com/19/97500290_7e6c37ce9b.jpg

So, just an update, I have now on the needles:

* Practice Regia ankle-sock
* Meilenweit Fantasie sock
* Hat for my mum
* Clapotis for my best friend in New Zealand
* My Noro Silk Garden Basketweave Scarf
* commissioned Mega Fiamma scarf for my friend

By tomorrow 2 p.m. there will be two other scarves on the list that I'm doing for the Knitting Olympics....Lawdy, am I crazy??? :shock:

And a big THANK YOU to Mama-Of-Purl (http://mamaofpurl.blogspirit.com/) who made the Cast-On Addicted Anonymous button...and also to Silke (http://www.faserfimmel.de), who made the Team Expat button...all of which will go into my signature!

Amber
02-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Wow, everything is looking great! Be sure to post some pics when you've finished!

Elemmaciltur
02-11-2006, 07:59 AM
Amber, thank you!

Here's another FO, my very first hat done....it's going to be a surprise birthday present for my mum:

http://static.flickr.com/43/98206451_b6c7b027b9.jpg

My very first hat!

I intended to do cables on it...which I had started out to do and just left it lying around for a bit more than a month, just because I really had no idea how I should proceed.

Well, two days ago I decided to frog the thing down to the ribbing and just do something simple with the hat body. I ended up doing the moss stitch....and finished the thing within two evenings!

Ingrid
02-11-2006, 09:42 AM
She'll love it! The colors are just breathtaking!

gardenmommy
02-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Such beautiful things!

Elemmaciltur
02-13-2006, 03:59 PM
I'm down with the flu at the moment...but it's not preventing me from knitting. I've made some progress with the Irish Hiking Scarf I'm doing for the Olympics. Kept switching back and forth between the scarf and my Meilenweit sock today.

http://static.flickr.com/43/99336509_28dda58f22.jpg

Anyhooz, I just threw some of my swatches with different kind of yarn in the washing machine with the laundry....just too see what happens to it. Well, the yarn labels said that they're all washable. And it was washable. No felting at all....just that all swatches are now a bit stretched out...they went through the spinning...so, what else was to be expected. So now I know that the stuff can be wash...just without spinning. *LOL*

Ronda
02-13-2006, 04:07 PM
WOW. I just don't have any other words. I'm so impressed by all your stuff!

momwolf
02-13-2006, 11:26 PM
:shock: WOW I'm new and just looked at your projects. They are wonderful!!! I have knit a lot of hats for charities and done some slippers for xmas presents and just started socks,mittens, and a hat with snowflakes on it , but you are truly amazing. :cheering: I love your Meilenweit sock! The colors are amazing!!!! Keep posting pictures to keep me inspired.

Julie :XX:

Elemmaciltur
02-16-2006, 09:52 AM
Ronda, Momwolf, thank you very much! And now, Momwolf, you can feast your eyes on the followings:

It's only one side....just look at the pictures...need I say more????

http://static.flickr.com/36/100423038_1e30d2bfc4.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/34/100423037_2d53ff0a20.jpg

I just wonder how long it'll take me to knit up the other side...probably another half a year! *LOL*

Angelia
02-16-2006, 10:08 AM
The sock is gorgeous! I love that yarn! The Irish Hiking Scarf is turning out beautifully, too. You're just a knitting fiend! (And a good one!) :cheering: :cheering:

Calabaza
02-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Your sock looks soo warm!! Someday I will try socks!!!! Love your work! Keep up the good work!!

momwolf
02-17-2006, 01:27 AM
:notworthy: I am so jealous. I need to know what type of yarn and the color.Can I even get it in the US?If you find you are not gonna have time for the other sock you can send me the yarn :shifty: THE SOCK IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Julie

Elemmaciltur
02-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Angelia, Calabaza, thank you, thank you!!!!!

Momwolf, the yarn for the sock is: Lana Grossa's Meilenweit Fantasy, colour #4830

Jenelle
02-17-2006, 01:42 PM
Your FO's are STUNNING! :o

Keep it up!! :thumbsup: :cheering:

Jan in CA
02-17-2006, 03:06 PM
GAH! :shock: This thread is sooooo long! I did go through it quickly and I must say you are are a regular knitting machine!! :roflhard: You do awesome work though, your FOs and WIP are gorgeous!

Angelia
02-17-2006, 07:01 PM
I know--this has turned into a blog! ;)

Pensguys
02-18-2006, 09:52 AM
That's ok by me!

Hildegard_von_Knittin
02-18-2006, 11:25 AM
nice job!!!

Elemmaciltur
02-18-2006, 07:15 PM
Everyone, awwwwwwwwww, thank you very much! Yeah, I know, this thread's becoming some kind of a blog to me....but I just don't feel like opening a new thread.

Anyhow, here's my first project done for the Knitting Olympics, the Irish Hiking Scarf :happydance: :

http://static.flickr.com/40/101346401_090164bba9.jpg

There's one major mistake on the side stitch. I don't know what happened, but when I noticed it, I was waaaaaaaaay over it, so didn't feel like frogging it just to coreect it. You can see that mistake in the following pic:

http://static.flickr.com/36/101346403_734ac3bebf.jpg

The scarf's 120 cm long at the moment, but I'm hoping to gain more length when I block it tomorrow.

Ingrid
02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
Excellent job!! This will probably be the last time the scarf is laying flat, so little errors like that are never noticeable (except by the knitter). ;)

Angelia
02-18-2006, 07:42 PM
That is beautiful! :inlove: :inlove: Nice work!!

Pensguys
02-18-2006, 07:49 PM
WOW!!! Beautiful!!!

Jillle
02-18-2006, 08:33 PM
:thumbsup: Great job! Would have never noticed a mistake unless pointed out. I'm just looking at the perfect cables!

Calabaza
02-19-2006, 10:30 AM
That scarf is WONDERFUL!! I love the cables!!

Elemmaciltur
02-20-2006, 05:41 PM
Everyone, thank you soooooo much for your compliments. They mean a lot to me!

Anyway, the second side of the sock's started, as well as my second scarf for the Knitting Olympics:

http://static.flickr.com/35/102074014_6e5e0677f4.jpg

Now, I need your opinions. I'm planning to only make the lace pattern on each ends of the scarf, and I'll be doing some kind of cabels for the body. Do you think that it would work? Or should I just make the whole scarf in the lace? Here's a closer look at the lace (of course pre-blocked):

http://static.flickr.com/42/102074015_abf2e5f00a.jpg

Jenelle
02-20-2006, 05:47 PM
IMHO, I think the scarf is GORGEOUS just like that! I love the color of it too!

Great job! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
02-20-2006, 07:09 PM
I think I'd like just the lace, too. :thinking: I'm drooling over that yarn, too. :heart:

TheLuckyOne
02-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Ooh, I'd do the whole thing in the lace. Would that take forever, is that why you wanted to do cables?

Your stuff continues to inspire me! Great job!

Angelia
02-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I think lace, since you've already done cables!

It's looking lovely so far...that yarn is really lovely! :inlove:

Elemmaciltur
02-22-2006, 07:00 PM
@Everybody, okay, I'll do the scarf in lace as y'all had suggested. Although I don't think that I'll be able to finish the scarf in time for this Sunday. Doesn't matter....coz, you know, I signed up for the Knitting Olympics saying that I'll do two scarves...I've got one NEW scarf done, another scarf casted on and still on the needles. However, I've done TWO scarves already. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present you, from the UFOs stash, my at last finished and blocked Noro Silk Garden Basketweave scarf:

http://static.flickr.com/37/103045474_d42dc4c7d4.jpg

So, on the bottom line, I did two scarves!

Calabaza
02-22-2006, 07:05 PM
I love the scarf!! Its soo pretty!!!

Lana
02-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Boy! Your work is impeccable!

Ingrid
02-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Once again, beautiful work and scrumptious yarn!! You're my hero! ;)

Jillle
02-22-2006, 07:46 PM
:heart: Simply gorgeous! :heart:

Jenelle
02-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Oh that is just.... :inlove:

I love the colors!!! :thumbsup:

Angelia
02-22-2006, 08:24 PM
That is just beautiful!! I love the texturing and the color! :inlove: :inlove:

Pensguys
02-22-2006, 10:46 PM
Just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elemmaciltur
02-23-2006, 08:28 PM
You guys are just waaaaaaaay too supportive!! :D Thank you so much for the nice compliments.

Anyway, let me show you, before I hit the hay, what I got from the LYS today:

http://static.flickr.com/31/103461276_0297c929b7.jpg

I am soooooooooo going to get some more in the next few days (despite the fact that I have 2 skeins of Meilenweit, 2 skeins of Regia 50g 4-ply colour and another 2 skeins of plain brown sock yarns - can't remember the name - in my stash already)

karmamonkey
02-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Those are such pretty scarves! You did great! :D How long have you been knitting?

Elemmaciltur
02-24-2006, 10:16 AM
@karmamonkey, thank you! I first picked up needles to knit for the first time in my life on 9th December 2005. ;)

Anyway, I was having some swatching fun this morning and trying out some patterns. Here's the result:

http://static.flickr.com/34/103789066_896383dcc8.jpg

Fun knit, but the bobbles can become a pain after a while. I don't think I'd ever use the pattern in anything....well, at least not for myself, it's just too kitsch.

Danielle
02-24-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm loving everything you have knitted!! :thumbsup: :inlove: That sock yarn is gorgeous! :drooling:

Elemmaciltur
02-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I went crazy on sock yarns today....to the three I bought yesterday, I got another three. Really, I actually wanted only one more, but it seem that the LYS just got in new stocks....and I just couldn't resist. So now, the three Regia Canadian Colours have three new friends:

http://static.flickr.com/35/103914709_2f41ffe9d7.jpg

Jenelle
02-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Wow those sock yarns are gorgeous!! :inlove:

Elemmaciltur
02-28-2006, 01:06 PM
Woooooooah...my thread has gone down-under!

Anyway, look at what I've achieved after slaving away until 3.30 a.m. for two days:

http://static.flickr.com/47/105742284_a4b889627b.jpg

The top one is the latest one...apparently my tension got better and thus the side falls out somewhat smaller, but it fits....

However, don't be fooled. I tried it on when I finished - kitchener-stitch and all, and looked what I found (the photos are taken today...in the morning):

http://static.flickr.com/54/105742286_c8ed419a6a_m.jpg

Yes, that's the one I did last night and it has GAPING LADDERS on the toe decreases! I was almost reduced down to tear last night...but just left it and went to bed.

This morning I grafted the ladders together and threw it in the washing machine...and well, it turned out alright after all....so I guess I can be proud of myself with my own first pair of hand-knitted and self-knitted socks! (new sock's already on the way)

Jenelle
02-28-2006, 01:55 PM
:cheering:

They look awesome! :thumbsup:

What pattern did you use?

jamadian75
02-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I just have to say that I started out reading your "hello world" first post from back in December...then I skip to the end and you've already reached SOCKS??!!

Bravo. :cheering: :cheering:

Stich on...

Angelia
02-28-2006, 03:21 PM
Lovely socks!!! WTG on your first pair!! :happydance: :happydance:

And just so you know, ladders are the bane of all sock knitters. You've adjusted well, though!

itscryttle
02-28-2006, 06:51 PM
I LOVE them! You did a wonderful job on them!

And I love that you did the second one sideways! I have thought about doing that myself just hadn't. LOVE it! :thumbsup:

Ingrid
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Fabulous job!! :happydance: :happydance: Awesome socks. When you wear them, I'm sure you'll be crossing your legs and hitching up your pant legs a lot! :rofling:

Elemmaciltur
03-04-2006, 07:31 AM
So, here's another FO! The Marsan Watchcap!! A friend of mine commissioned me to make a red hat for her...so I decided to make this. Tooke me 4 days to make it, plus another 2 to block:

http://static.flickr.com/39/107556128_b881886059.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/43/107556126_370fcaf353.jpg

LOVE the look of the top decreases. However, I didn't pull the thread in the end enough to close the top well...so there's the small hole there.

Angelia
03-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Oooh, that is beautiful! :inlove: :inlove: It looks absolutely perfect, too--nice even stitches!!

Lana
03-04-2006, 10:26 AM
OMG
Your work is PERFECT!!!
That hat is magnificent!!!

The green is for envy.

Jaxhil
03-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Beautiful!! I think the socks look great-ladders or no_sounds like it worked out fine!

I love the hat!! The decreases are beautiful! What kind of yarn did you use for it? I love red hats, they're so cheery :D

Elemmaciltur
03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
Jaxhill, Lana, Angelia, Ingrid, Jamadian75, Jenelle, Thank you so much!!!! That really can spur me on to more knitting!

I'm leaving Munich to go back home to Thailand this coming Sunday...probably won't be knitting there (I don't know yet - my parents don't know I knit....*LOL* I wonder what they'd say)...but I might take something with me, just in case my hands itch to knit. Maybe one or two skeins of the Canadian Colour, that'd keep me busy for the month and a half I'm going to be there.

Anyhow, here's a quick knit up I did last night after finding a pattern and got it finished this morning. It's my first try...and I'm very pleased with the result. I actually modified the pattern a bit and still like it. The one in the pic took me only one evening...and the second side is already on its way. I went and bought another skein of Kureyon today just to make another pair. Hopefully I'll get them done before leaving on Sunday...not that I'd need them in Thailand. *LOL*:

http://static.flickr.com/52/109164272_c86280bf07.jpg

Angelia
03-07-2006, 03:35 PM
It looks great!! :thumbsup: I knit a pair of those last November and have worn them all winter while visiting KH, grading papers, reading--anything anytime! Enjoy!

Oh, I hope you have a safe trip home and have a wonderful time while there!! I'm so jealous--I would love to visit Thailand!

Ingrid
03-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Are you afraid to tell your parents that you knit?

Sit them down. Tell them you have to tell them something shocking that they never thought they'd hear from you. That you're doing things that most men never dream of. That you're an addict.

Then tell them that you knit. They'll be so relieved they'll run out to buy you more yarn! ;)

Angelia
03-07-2006, 06:14 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Nice plan, Ingrid!

Jenelle
03-07-2006, 06:15 PM
My one aunt is from Thailand. :) She makes really good food too. :P

Your hat that you made looks great!! And so does the fingerless glove! :)

Elemmaciltur
03-09-2006, 07:23 AM
@Ingrid: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Anyway, the first pair is finished:

http://static.flickr.com/36/110017863_a365482759.jpg

FIRST pair, because the SECOND pair is now on the needles. :XX:

Don't you just love the colourways? It reminds me of moss and earth, clear running water and blue sky and snow. For some reason, the word 'Norway' comes to mind, even though I've never been there before.

Angelia
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
Gorgeous!! And yeah, that is a very natural looking colorway--I can see why you'd call it Norway, and I haven't been there, either ;)

Jenelle
03-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Ohh those a beautiful.

When I first looked at them, the left one reminded me about the ocean, being that the farther and farther you go down, the darker it gets. The second one reminded me of a mountain, with a grassy plain in front of it.

Good work on those! :thumbsup:

Angelia
03-09-2006, 02:12 PM
That's a lovely way to describe the colors, Jenelle! :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
03-12-2006, 12:10 PM
So before I turn off and pack my laptop away and make my way slowly to the airport to leave for Thailand, I'm leaving you with my latest FO: My second pair of Kolenya!!!!

http://static.flickr.com/19/111264296_5b953a33ce.jpg

Ingrid
03-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Beautiful, as always! Have a safe trip! :waving:

Angelia
03-12-2006, 03:44 PM
Just gorgeous!! :thumbsup:

Safe travels!! :heart:

Elemmaciltur
03-20-2006, 04:58 AM
OMG, I didn't get a chance to check in here and my thread ends up on the second page?!

Anyway, I'm safe and sound in Thailand. Life's crazy here. If you want to know how my parents reacted to my knitting, go check out the entries on my blog HERE (http://numenna.blogspot.com/2006/03/back-online.html) and HERE (http://numenna.blogspot.com/2006/03/vidcast-from-thailand.html).

And then, I'm also knitting in Thailand. For infos, you can go and read THIS ENTRY (http://numenna.blogspot.com/2006/03/procrastination-knitting-in.html), and here's the proof, the JayWalker Redux:

http://static.flickr.com/40/115109750_b46bb8932e.jpg

Elemmaciltur
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Okay...it's been a long time. A lot had happened ever since I've been in Thailand. Got back to Munich and had to move. University started and I have lots to do this semester since I'm almost finished with my studies....but my knitting still goes on!

I've finished one side of my cursed JayWalker already:

http://static.flickr.com/48/148298422_51d09ed73e.jpg

Have already started the second side, so that I won't get the second-sock-syndrome.

Then, meet Frankie, the Frankenstein Teddy Bear (knitted up within two days and filled him with cheery stones!):

http://static.flickr.com/53/149235904_2c2007243e.jpg

Lastly, this is going to be a shawl for my mum. It already has a mistake in it...but it's okay:

http://static.flickr.com/53/159187558_9d4c35d682.jpg

There are of course other things on my needles at the moment. But my JayWalker has the priority! :-)

Hope y'all are well!

Calabaza
06-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Its good to hear from you!!! You stuff is lovely!! And you can't see the mistake on the shawl at all!!!

Ingrid
06-08-2006, 05:11 PM
:waving: :waving: I was thinking of you the other day! Glad things are going well, and boy that sock is amazing! Your mom is going to love that shawl. :thumbsup:

Elemmaciltur
06-11-2006, 05:41 AM
OMG! Thanks guys! I didn't really expect anyone to read my posts anymore....so now I have to keep posting!!

Anyhow, started on the second side of my JayWalker already. Knitted in a beer garden full of cheering football crowd yesterday...but hey, it was the World Wide KIP Day (http://wwkipday.com/) yesterday!

http://static.flickr.com/52/164455482_ef8d0bddae.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/61/164455481_444529a4a9.jpg

njknitter
06-11-2006, 06:09 AM
:rofling: Knitting and beer! Better than chocolate and peanut butter!! :rofling:

All your projects are terrific!
Lynn

Freyja
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Your JayWalkers are FANTASTIC :!:

I am adding those to my, socks to knit list.

What is your field of study?

Nimmie
06-13-2006, 07:11 AM
I love your avie!

The shawl is going to be beautiful! What a lucky mom.

Elemmaciltur
07-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Oh my goodness...I haven't updated since June???!!

Anyway, thank you all for your encouragements. Still no knitting FOs here, but two weeks ago I got myself a copy of Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761139850/) and since then I'd been...well, churning out crocheted projects. So, here are the two that I actually have finished:

http://static.flickr.com/68/177570263_61fa5e3fec.jpg

And a friend modelled it for me:

http://static.flickr.com/46/177570262_9e23918ee7.jpg

Started: 24th June 2006
Finished: 28th June 2006
Yarn: Wolle Rödel Mille fili colour #5916, 100% mercerised cotton
Hook: 3.5 mm hook (US E/4)
Pattern: Sweet Pea Shawl by Amie Hirtes (http://www.nexstitch.com/) in Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761139850/)

I used smaller yarn and smaller hook than called for in the pattern.

Then there's this:

http://static.flickr.com/57/183206793_7683f8a054.jpg

Started: 30th June 2006
Finished: 5th July 2006
Yarn: Wolle Rödel "Toscana", 50% cotton, 50% polyacrylics microfibre, colour #13658
Hook: 4 mm/G-6
Pattern: Short 'n Sweet Bolero by Angela "La Vonne" Best (http://lavonne3-1.tripod.com/) in Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761139850/)

As always, I substituted yarn for this project because we don't usually get the specific yarn from the book here in Germany...but I actually got gauge for the very first time. :lol:

So, what do you guys think?

Ronda
07-06-2006, 09:32 AM
As usual, just beautiful. You truly are talented.

Ingrid
07-06-2006, 09:53 AM
WOW! You are talented!! Great job!

Jenelle
07-06-2006, 12:36 PM
Ohh they are beautiful! :inlove:

jamadian75
07-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Fantastic!! You should be extremely proud of those. :inlove:
And you churned them out so quickly!

I must get that book!

Elemmaciltur
07-23-2006, 05:21 AM
Hey guys!

Been a while since I've posted last. I've been busy....but now I want to show you some progress....this is what I've been making:

http://static.flickr.com/76/177792951_00b0994564.jpg

And this is how far I've got:

http://static.flickr.com/69/194649587_d35aa016f0.jpg

Started: 06th July 2006
Status quo: 23rd July 2006 - one day behind schedule
Yarn: "Rustikale Hauswolle" (rustic house wool) bought at Wolle Rödel 60% wool, 40% polyacrylics, colour #13853 "Wooden tinge"
Needles: 5 mm/US 8 circs & Cable needle
Pattern: Men's jacket (pattern #5412) from Schachenmayr Nomotta "Inspiration" No. 74
Modifications: I leave out the pockets in the fronts because I tried to make it and somehow it turned funky, so I had to frog and leave them out.

Ingrid
07-23-2006, 10:17 AM
All that seed stitch would drive me insane! It's looking great, though--at least the fronts and sleeves have cables to add a little variety. Love the color, too. :thumbsup:

Rorshach
07-23-2006, 12:06 PM
hehe last time I did that much seed st, was for my monk's satchel, though I have to say that when you're doing seed stitch, that there is a certain rythym to it, or so I've found.

Elemmaciltur
08-03-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks for all of your comments!!! Now I have another crocheted FO to show, with myself modelling it. ;)

http://static.flickr.com/74/204875360_975d728cb6.jpg

Started: 29th July 2006
Finished: 31st July 2006
Yarn: Wolle Rödel Soft-Merino, 100% superwash merino wool, colour #390
Hooks: 3.5 mm/US E-4 for brim, 6 mm/US J-10 and 7 mm/US K-10.5 for crown
Pattern: Men's Funky Grunge Cap by Jenny Hansen in Knit.1 (http://knit1mag.com/) Fall/Winter 2005

Oh, and Freyja, I study political science.

gardenmommy
08-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Love it all!

I swear, the picture of you in a hat could be in a magazine!

lavonne3ca
08-18-2006, 11:22 AM
Oh my goodness...I haven't updated since June???!!

Anyway, thank you all for your encouragements. Still no knitting FOs here, but two weeks ago I got myself a copy of Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761139850/) and since then I'd been...well, churning out crocheted projects. So, here are the two that I actually have finished:

Then there's this:

http://static.flickr.com/57/183206793_7683f8a054.jpg

Started: 30th June 2006
Finished: 5th July 2006
Yarn: Wolle Rödel "Toscana", 50% cotton, 50% polyacrylics microfibre, colour #13658
Hook: 4 mm/G-6
Pattern: Short 'n Sweet Bolero by Angela "La Vonne" Best (http://lavonne3-1.tripod.com/) in Debbie Stoller's Happy Hooker (http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761139850/)

So, what do you guys think?

I think your Short n Sweet looks fabulous.
Angela 'La Vonne' Best

Elemmaciltur
08-18-2006, 11:51 AM
OMG! lavonne3ca!!! The designer of the bolero herself! Thank you very much!! My mum loved the bolero, she said that the pattern is "very pretty". BTW, thank you for your comment on Flickr, too!

Sissy
08-18-2006, 02:42 PM
First, may we call you EL....? I am impressed with your scarves,very nice for a newbie.I LUV the Knitting for Dummies book, I use it alot.......Welcome to the group and hope to see more pics soon, Sissy :happydance:

Debbyd
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
WOW!! You have done a great job!

Elemmaciltur
09-25-2006, 06:59 AM
Thank you everyone for the commnents!

I haven't posted for a long time...it's been busy, both with life and my knitting (just go and see my blog (http://numenna.blogspot.com/) for full details).

But now I had my first big project behind me but I forgot to post here, so now's the time to show you:

http://static.flickr.com/85/247317293_6050b0b656.jpg Front

http://static.flickr.com/87/247317296_630dcc5db3.jpg Arm-Shoulder band detail

http://static.flickr.com/94/247317299_9a0973b5e5.jpg Back

Finished: 15th September 2006
Yarn: "Rustikale Hauswolle" (rustic house wool) bought at Wolle Rödel 60% wool, 40% polyacrylics, colour #13853 "Wooden tinge"
Needles: 5 mm/US 8 circs
Pattern: Men's jacket (pattern #5412) from Schachenmayr Nomotta "Inspiration" No. 74
Modification: I left out the pockets

That's the Janker a kind of traditional knitted Bavarian jacket.

Then there's this:

http://static.flickr.com/94/249575408_8ab3d66b10.jpg

Start & Finished: 21st September 2006
Yarn: Noro Kureyon, 100% Wool, colour #170
Needle: 3.5 mm dpns
Pattern: Kolenya (http://sheepandnocity.blogspot.com/2006/01/coughing-fish.html) from Sheep and No City (http://sheepandnocity.blogspot.com/)
Modification: I left out the crocheted finger bridges

KnittyKitty
09-25-2006, 11:24 AM
Very nicely done! That jacket looks so comfy! You started and finished those gloves on the same day? You're a speed knitter! Love them! :cheering: