PDA

View Full Version : new to circular...question please

hedgewick
12-28-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi all. I have yet to try out circular needles. I'm scared of them. All I've done are very easy hats and a scarf or 2. I'm ready to give them a try now. My question is this, is it possible to knit a hat on circular needles without double pointed needles ? I'm even more scared of them. What about sweaters? Every pattern I see with circular needles also requires double pointed ones when you have to decrease. I'm having a hard enough time with the concept of the circular needles. That is enough to get used to I'm sure. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks! :XX:

Vendie
12-28-2005, 08:17 PM
You _can_ finish a hat or other small diameter project on a circular needle using a couple different methods. You could use 2 circulars or you could use one very long circular (Magic Loop method). Amy's got videos on both - I think either in Basic Techniques or Advanced (look for small diameter circular knitting). I love magic loop, and have finished all my hats this way. I'm also doing a sock using magic loop. It takes a little getting used to, but it's not too bad. Probably easier than dpns to a certain extent.

Jan in CA
12-28-2005, 08:29 PM
I used the two circ method to finish up rather than DPNs.

brendajos
12-28-2005, 09:41 PM
finishing on DPNs is a great way to start learning DPNs though. That way you don't have to deal with starting then but you get practice in using them. i love knitting in the round on circs and look for reasons to do it! i have a ridiculous number of hats that i am donating right now because i just like making them but don't always have someone to give them to. once you get going you will wonder what you were afraid of!

kellyjo32
12-29-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm rather new to knitting and I just finished a hat on circulars and I loved it! I can't wait to do more, you just keep going round and round! My next project is going to be a sweater, just so I can use the circulars again! :D