PDA

View Full Version : OT sort of...What's your current knitting distraction?

Cristy
12-29-2005, 08:22 PM
Where do I begin...is it the weiner dog who thinks my feet are his pillow (it makes walking over to my stash sort of hard)....maybe it's my three-year old who thinks the only person who can play with her new toys is mommy...or perhaps it's that everytime I go to sit down somebody somewhere in this house needs something...peanut-butter and jelly sandwich, goldfish, more water in the bowl, help changing the DVD, a pressed pair of pants for tomorrow.....

Does it ever seem to you guys that there is some sort of anti-knitting demon who exists just to thwart your knitting attempts???

Cristy
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
or it could be this forum... :lol:

Jan in CA
12-29-2005, 09:18 PM
LOL I think it could be all of the above! My kids are grown, but the two pets I have drive me nuts! The cat is 14.5 yrs and needs to eat small amounts often, the dog is 4, but very needy. Plus there is the forum of course.. ;) Enjoy the kids, they grow to fast. ;)

Cristy
12-29-2005, 09:30 PM
I do enjoy her--she's adorable but I have to give credit to all of the SAHMs out there--I'm off work for the holidays since I work for the school system...I'm going crazy!! How in the world do they do it?
My dog is pretty needy too--he's 9 but has a lot of spunk left in him...:)

I swear...the forum can be a curse...it's so addicting! :cheering:

brendajos
12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
ummm...work, sleep, showering, driving to work since y'all seem worried about me knitting in traffic! ;), eating, umm....yeah all that stuff! :verysad:

Vendie
12-29-2005, 10:17 PM
the fact that I have to pack for the trip back home to Indiana is DEFINITELY cutting in to my valuable knitting time. me not happy camper.

misstialouise
12-29-2005, 10:20 PM
A little thing called "Housework"...

UGH...

Jenelle
12-29-2005, 10:29 PM
I have alot of distractions even though I'm 13. Most of the time I'm in bed watching TV and I get distracted because I always find something intresting on. Another thing is we have a bunch of kittens here... 3 of them to be exact. They all think that my yarn is something that they can destroy just like all my other things in my room and around the house :rollseyes: I also get up to get my family members things. I also have two dogs who are very needy. Bandit is going to be 8 this coming july and haus will be 6 this coming june. Both of them have alot of pup in them and they are very active. :lol:

KNITBIT
12-29-2005, 10:33 PM
Definitely a knitting demon lurking amongst us all I guess. LOL!!! :twisted: YIPE!!!!! :shock:

I'm a SAHM and happy to be able to sleep in :happydance: the last few wks. since my kids are off for winter break also. They don't go back til Jan. 9. So more ZZzzz...for me!!!!!!! :heart: Oooo, Awwww!! OK enough exciting talk about my fav. thing besides knitting, S L E E P! :zzz:

I haven't had a chance to knit since uhhh..yesterday...I believe I'm going through withdrawals. ACK! :rollseyes: I want to start a new project, but haven't decided on anything. Maybe some socks. Another hat? :thinking: I've made 5 in the past 2 wks. or so..

Today I've been cleaning house...(OOoo, fun. NOT!!!!!) You know the usual...dusting, sweeping, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. In between washing load after load of laundry..starting dinner. During this highly chaotic action of events my son gets sick. :( He was fine this morning...then BOOM! Fever. Ughhhhh.. :doh: Hopefully he gets better real soon. :pray:

I also get the occassional: from dh ,"Honey can you iron this for me?" from dd, "Mommy can I have some apple juice? Can I have some more cheez its?" ds: "Mom, what's there to eat?" "Can I stay up late tonight?" etc. and so fourth.... :oo:

Now let me see... :thinking: Where to fit in some knitting???!?!?!?!? LOL!! ;)

KNITBIT :XX:

KNITBIT
12-29-2005, 10:41 PM
Definitely a knitting demon lurking amongst us all I guess. LOL!!! :twisted: YIPE!!!!! :shock:

I'm a SAHM and happy to be able to sleep in :happydance: the last few wks. since my kids are off for winter break also. They don't go back til Jan. 9. So more ZZzzz...for me!!!!!!! :heart: Oooo, Awwww!! OK enough exciting talk about my fav. thing besides knitting, S L E E P! :zzz:

I haven't had a chance to knit since uhhh..yesterday...I believe I'm going through withdrawals. ACK! :rollseyes: I want to start a new project, but haven't decided on anything. Maybe some socks. Another hat? :thinking: I've made 5 in the past 2 wks. or so..

Today I've been cleaning house...(OOoo, fun. NOT!!!!!) You know the usual...dusting, sweeping, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. In between washing load after load of laundry..starting dinner. During this highly chaotic action of events my son gets sick. :( He was fine this morning...then BOOM! Fever. Ughhhhh.. :doh: Hopefully he gets better real soon. :pray:

I also get the occassional: from dh ,"Honey can you iron this for me?" from dd, "Mommy can I have some apple juice? Can I have some more cheez its?" ds: "Mom, what's there to eat?" "Can I stay up late tonight?" etc. and so fourth.... :oo:

Now let me see... :thinking: Where to fit in some knitting???!?!?!?!? LOL!! ;)

KNITBIT :XX:

margie
12-29-2005, 11:11 PM
I haven't knitted at ALL today.........the kids are off from school, so we went out for some fun at a "chuckie cheese" type of place, and then I attempted to try to get the house under control. I swear that boxes have been multiplying in this house. I throw them away, and then there are more!!

carollovesyarn
12-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Current knitting distraction?

EVERYTHING ELSE! Especially the computer and my never ending quest for yarn deals or the bestest free pattern. I was selling (non-knitting related) stuff on eBay, but that ate into too much of my time, so I'm taking a break...KIDDING! I'm taking a break so I can go through stuff, toss or pack because I'm moving who knows when and yet I KEEP BUYING MORE YARN. I need to stop so I don't have to move so much!

Cristy
12-29-2005, 11:55 PM
boy am I glad to see I'm not alone...I've actually been knitting since my last post and it's probably the most I've accomplished in the past several days (with regards to knitting). I have the box problem too--just when I think I have all of the torn Christmas wrapping and boxes thrown away, I turn around and find some that dh has put in the bedroom or office (to him--outta sight is outta mind!).

Hildegard_von_Knittin
12-29-2005, 11:59 PM
damn doctorate degree!!!!!!

BinkyKat
12-30-2005, 12:23 AM
:thinking:
I would have to say my sukky job gets in the way of my knitting.
:rollseyes:

kellyjo32
12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
My job is definitely getting in the way....9 hours a day I could be knitting. Actually, the office is pretty bare this week, so I got in about 3 hours of knitting at my desk yesterday! :fingerwag:
But the bad part is...I can't do that as easily today...so I just check the new posts every 5 minutes, I gotta get my fix one way or another!

Ronda
12-30-2005, 11:13 AM
1. Work.
2. Cooking.
3. Housecleaning.
4. My 8-year-old daughter, who is always asking me to knit something for HER! She now has about 4 or 5 scarves. She wants yet another scarf and 2 hats and a pair of mittens. When I went to the LYS last night, she picked out a $15 skein of very pretty yarn and asked me to knit her a blanket out of it! Uh...maybe we should find something less expensive cuz it's going to take a lot more than one skein dear, and OH - I was buying yarn to finally make something for ME!!!!
5. The same 8-year-old daughter who got a few games for Christmas and LOVES to play them with me. We have played games every night. How can I say no?! These years go by so fast, so I have to enjoy her now, but it sure does take away my knitting time!

kellyjo32
12-30-2005, 11:19 AM
8 sounds like a good age to learn how to knit!! :D

Ronda
12-30-2005, 12:26 PM
8 sounds like a good age to learn how to knit!! :D

I'm trying to teach her, but a teacher I am not! I believe I will sign her up for a lesson at my LYS!!

kellyjo32
12-30-2005, 12:55 PM
well i hear there are some pretty good videos on this website called KnittingHelp.com, or something like that ;)
I bet she would love the satisfaction of wearing something she made! Once she's hooked, you might even be able to convince her to do chores for yarn money... :lol:

Ronda
12-30-2005, 01:08 PM
you might even be able to convince her to do chores for yarn money... :lol:

You little devil! I like the way you think!!!

kellyjo32
12-30-2005, 01:17 PM
i don't have kids yet...so I still think that way. I have the whole, my kids will never cry in public, never be bad, do all their chores without me asking mentality... :angelgrin:
Wishful thinking I guess?! :pray:

Jan in CA
12-30-2005, 02:07 PM
i don't have kids yet...so I still think that way. I have the whole, my kids will never cry in public, never be bad, do all their chores without me asking mentality... :angelgrin:
Wishful thinking I guess?! :pray:

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

Anyhoo..now that I'm done laughing ;) ...has anyone here read Yarn Harlot? She's got a chapter on knitting distractions that's a hoot. The whole book was funny. I just finished it last night.

mintdee
12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I had that thought when I was single and childless. That went out the window after they were born. They do know their manners and when things are appropriate and how to act, that doesn't mean that they will do it though (darn free will hehehe)

My biggest distraction right now is kids house and the internet. Trying to find a good sweater pattern for the knit a long. I think that I am just being to scared because the patterns that I have liked so far have been vetoed as "too hard" :roflhard: I need to just suck it up and pick one. :rollseyes:

jodstr2
12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
I've been off work since Dec 21 and my kid comes home on Sunday, so lately it's been pretty much only housework that's nagging at me to get done instead of knitting.
but usually it's: work, my kid's homework, cooking dinner, housework.

weird - most times I can't knit unless I'm relaxed and I know I don't have anything else that needs to get done. but once in a great while, I can knit knowing full well that I'm ignoring 37546932746 things that I should be doing instead.

feministmama
12-30-2005, 02:58 PM

me too :rollseyes:

Jan in CA
12-30-2005, 03:02 PM

me too :rollseyes:

You and Hildie are working on your doctorates? What major? My daughter is working on her masters in public policy and is debating a doctorate in economics.

Cristy
12-30-2005, 09:31 PM
I just finished graduate school and boy am I glad--I just called a friend the other day who is working on her PhD and told her that the positive thing about finishing school is having time to do things like knit or nothing. I want to go back for a certification in my field but I've gotten so lazy since I finished up in June...Hang in there guys--it's worth it in the end!

And the kids thing--yah...I have to admit that I have an angel but no matter how fabulous they are--they still have their moments. My sister is here and moving back to GA and I'm a little worried--while I know she'll love having her two cousins around--she's very very close to my parents and she's always had them to herself--I hope she doesn't feel left out. Maybe it'll be good practice for when another one comes along...

I haven't read the book mentioned earlier but I'll check it out.

Ingrid
12-30-2005, 09:42 PM
My main distraction is this site. Surprised? :roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

trucker945
12-31-2005, 07:04 AM
What cuts into knitting time?
Needing to eat, cook to eat, sleep, bathe, shop, clean house, make more wine, blah-blah-blah.
And from experience, I can say never drink and knit... when you look at the project sober you WILL regret it.
:doh:

benniesma
12-31-2005, 08:49 AM
Definitely the kids! I also am a craft junkie and my other big hobby is rubber stamping. I make my own cards, scrapbook and stamp whatever else comes to mind (or doesn't move!).

My 3 yr old was a flower girl in a wedding yesterday and my husband rolled his eyes when I asked if it would be rude to knit at the reception. (Honey, I was KIDDING!!) At least it was an out of town wedding :happydance: , so I did get some good knit time in on the drive to and from the event.

Angelia
12-31-2005, 10:15 AM
Distractions?

1. Since I'm still on holiday, it's this forum....
2. But once the semester starts, it will be work (and the forum). I don't have the kind of job that lets me leave it there. Now mind you, spending hours reading literature I love (and that is all I assign, of course) is not a chore, but it does take hours to prep for some classes, hours I could spend knitting.
3. Cats. Five of them. They're in the litter box, or roaming around trying to get into things, or haunting me and trying to get in my lap. I love my furbabies, but geez.

Fortunately, the dh doesn't bother me. He has his video game obsession, I have my knitting, and we peacefully coexist. It's fabulous!

punkhippiemom
12-31-2005, 11:56 AM
I bought DH a pool table for Christmas and he keeps bugging me to play pool with him...
( you just shhh right now, Angelia!!! :fingerwag: )
I don't mind playing pool, but sheesh!!
And of course the kids, and this forum... luckily talking on the phone doesn't interrupt too badly, I can usually keep pretty good track while I'm talking, people just have to put up with "....four, five, six... go ahead, I'm listening!....eight, nine, ten.." :thumbsup: :rofling:

Angelia
12-31-2005, 02:38 PM
:roflhard: :roflhard:

I'm being good, PHM. :---

Cristy
12-31-2005, 10:27 PM
my dh has a video game obsession too--and he draws so our hobbies co-exist too!

brightspot
01-02-2006, 01:37 AM
My hubby goes to sleep early so I can knit in the evenings. Kids-that's why I have 3!! They play amongst themselves and leave me out of it. They are also mostly teens and can get their own juice. It is the homeschooling that gets in the way knitting wise. Although it is getting to where they can teach themselves mostly so I can sit near youngest dd to make sure she stays on task and knit. Since kids do some house work and hubby does some I just mostly do dust, vaccuum, and laundry. The kids even cook 3 nights a week. I have no excuse for not getting a lot of knitting done. They even realize that it makes me less cranky and if my lips are moving I am counting and they leave me alone. My biggest distraction is lack of cool yarn. All I can afford is the red heart mostly and I do get tire of it.

Indygirl
01-02-2006, 02:24 AM
I haven't knitted for about two weeks. I have had my G.D. She is 16 mo's old and I love her being here, but you don't get any knitting done when she is here.

brightspot
01-02-2006, 02:27 AM
What a total cutite :cheering:

Indygirl
01-02-2006, 02:30 AM
So Sorry, I'm just learning how to size my pictures and I didn't realize it would be so big :doh: :doh: :doh:

brightspot
01-02-2006, 02:33 AM
I still have the same problem :D . At least it was a cute biggie picture. :D

Indygirl
01-02-2006, 02:44 AM
I'm going to take a class for seniors on computers. I need it in the worse way. I know just enough to get myself in a mess. :blush: Also now that my G.D. has gone home I will get started on those clogs :happydance:

Angelia
01-02-2006, 08:52 AM
Oh, she's adorable! Those little teeth!!! :heart: :heart:

Indygirl
01-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Oh, she's adorable! Those little teeth!!! :heart: :heart:
:heart: Thanks, I had to wait until I was 61 years old to get her and she's all I'll get so I'm pretty excited about her. My D.D. lost 3 before we got Sophia. I have knit for her, but the pictures keep coming up toooooo big so I haven't sent any yet :?? Happy knitting

Angelia
01-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Oh, if she's the only one, then she'll definitely be spoiled rotten! And I just love the name Sophia!

Indygirl
01-02-2006, 10:44 AM
How do I delete one of my pictures? I didn't mean to send it twice. :doh: :doh:

WynnieG
01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
You can just delete one set of links bordered by tags once you hit the edit button on your post.

2005 Knitting Distractions for the Wynnie:

1. Working from home as a computer programmer. Yeah, I am my own boss (best boss I ever had!), but working multiple small business commissions really cuts into my crafting time. ;)

2. Other crafts. I spent a good portion of November and December working on handpainted tree ornaments for loved ones. Next year I'm going to knit some, so that they'll stop buying the skanky ones down at the local megalomart.

3. Not a mom, and no ambitions of being one, but we do have a new dog in our midst. Owen is 9 and a cancer survivor. He acts like he's about 5 though. A lovable goofball with lots of energy. We adopted him from the same breed rescue we adopted our Rosie nearly two years ago. She passed away in early December, complications of Cushing's disease.

4. Wedding. Got married in early October. Mucho drama from a selfish MoH preceeded it, whereupon I was forced to fire her, but soon after true friends stepped in and helped make it a wonderful day. The planning of this event all year really cut into my crafting time, esp. this spring during the caterer search.

5. Yule gifts. Being a geek, I usually get one or two computer games for the holidays. This year I received three major ones, one of which ate my brain for three straight days. If anyone has a similar love of PC video games, I highly recommend The Guild - Gold Edition. It's like being in the middle ages, only without the filth and horrible smell.