PDA

View Full Version : Trouble connecting to videos

Ilikesoup
01-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I've been having trouble viewing any of the videos since I switched from dial-up to cable. The window pops up, but then all it says is connecting... and nothing happens. I let it try for 2 hours once just to see if it was a really big file (I wanted to see the small diameter circular knitting.), but no go. My husband recently got rid of Limewire and I'm a computer barely literate type. Any ideas on what the problem is?
I really want to do a hat for a birthday gift and I don't want to have to sew (Neither does anyone who has to wear my creations!). :lol:

CateKnits
01-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I can't get them to work anymore, either. They load, but barely, and they won't play correctly. Plus, when I try to save them, it saves maybe the first thirty seconds and that's all. So I don't know what's up, but it isn't just you or your computer!

Ingrid
01-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Have you gone to your Tools link and allowed pop ups for this site?

Norman
01-05-2006, 05:40 PM
The problem may also lie here:

It seems the videos are WMP 9 optimized.. make sure you have WMP 9, but prefereably WMP 10

If you are seeing the popup and just "Connecting" it could be that you have a older version of WMP and it can't figure it out..

Other thing it could be is Firewall if you are on a VERY restricted network, it could affect it..

Ingrid
01-05-2006, 05:50 PM
There he is again, the ethereal Norman. Does your computer chime when a techy question pops up?

Norman
01-05-2006, 06:11 PM
*heh* shhhhh You aren't supposed to knwo that

Arugula
01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
mine pop up and play fine but in a window where only half the video is visible (the left half). I can't adjust the size of the window though if I double click the video it will go full screen and then the resolution is terrible and makes it harder to see what is going on. Have a solution for me?

Ingrid
01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I assume you clicked on the bottom where it says "if you have trouble, etc."

I did notice that when I bring up the small window so I can link a video, when I check my link, the video is full screen like this (http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/videos//cast-on/cast-on-double-rds.mpg)

It doesn't fill up the whole screen, but it's in the center of the screen. See what happens.

Norman
01-05-2006, 07:25 PM
well I Guess we could have amy add the "resize=true" value to the popup window.. that's the problem with popip windows.. the way it looks on my screen is probably different than yours..

But if you click the link ingy talked about it will download it for ya..

Ilikesoup
01-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Went and downloaded MWP 10. Added this site to my allow pop-ups page and tried again. So far, still no go (connecting...). Going to try again on a video I've already seen. Wish me luck.

Ilikesoup
01-05-2006, 09:50 PM
No go. We have Panda Titanium Antivirus protection and everything is set up the same as it was the last time I watched one of the videos.

Norman
01-05-2006, 09:52 PM
hrmm the only other thing I can think of is trying to download by clicking the "Can't see tihs video" link..

Ilikesoup
01-05-2006, 10:33 PM
Tried that. It just gets bigger and centers itself on the screen instead of the long narrow window on the left side of my screen.
We can play video clips from other sites and news clips so I'm pretty sure it's not my computer.

Mer
01-05-2006, 11:35 PM
If you all haven't already, I'd PM/email Amy. I'm sure she'd like to know any difficulties people are having.

Ilikesoup
01-06-2006, 01:19 PM
Will do.

kaysdaughter
01-06-2006, 03:10 PM
I let Amy know. I've been able to view videos here any time until yesterday. Can still see them on other sites.

Ilikesoup
01-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Whew, I was beginning to think I would have to call someone in to examine either my head or my computer! ;)

kaysdaughter
01-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Finally got them to work for me again. Amy had said they had done some work on them and we tried clearing my cache but that didn't work. Yesterday, I approved pop ups from knittinghelp.com in windows, google toolbar, and my norton for knitting help. Still didn't work. Then, turned off the popup blocker (I thought), still didn't work. Then, went into my norton anti-spam and added it to allow knitting help as an ad and allow popups (I thought antispam only controlled email but guess it does more, and tried all this in various forms. What worked was: turn off all popup blocking, if you use norton add it as an ok site in both popups and ads, go into anti spam and add it as permitted. It worked yesterday and again today. Thank goodness, but I'm still going to order the cd just because I can't go thru that again and Amy is wonderful. Plus, I'd like to turn on my ad blocking and popup blocking again.
Hope it helps!

WynnieG
01-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I've still got to do some wrangling on this one. Near as I can tell I'm having some issue with Mozilla accepting "popup-OK" setting for this site.

My workaround is to view them in WinAmp - to be honest, I think I get better resolution with WinAmp! :lol: