PDA

View Full Version : Yarn caddy/tote

ItsBecca
01-09-2006, 12:39 PM
What does everyone keep their yarn in? I usually just buy yarn as I need it since our space is so limited, so normally I keep mine in plastic grocery bags, but I have about 10 skeins, and 9 of them are very thick and hard to find room for, so, what does everyone use and where did you get it?! :thinking:

Jan in CA
01-09-2006, 12:57 PM
I have this one (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_7/602-0188252-6453406?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000AV3R90) from Target. This is a set of two so it's more expensive. I only got one and it was about $25 I think..not postive, it might have been less. My stepmom also got me a rolling tote from Joanns.

horve1
01-09-2006, 01:00 PM
I have two bags I keep my yarn and supplies in. One is on wheels, lots of space, some nice storage pockets. Got it online at Joann.com The only thing I don't like is it doesn't roll well except very slowly on a very even surface.
The other is a nice shoulder strap bag I got at A C Moores. I like it much better. Plenty of space, nice pocets, and 6 spaces for yarn-in-use with holes at the top for it to feed out of.
Sorry my descriptions aren't too good.

horve1
01-09-2006, 01:01 PM
I have two bags I keep my yarn and supplies in. One is on wheels, lots of space, some nice storage pockets. Got it online at Joann.com The only thing I don't like is it doesn't roll well except very slowly on a very even surface.
The other is a nice shoulder strap bag I got at A C Moores. I like it much better. Plenty of space, nice pocets, and 6 spaces for yarn-in-use with holes at the top for it to feed out of.
Sorry my descriptions aren't too good.

BonnieM
01-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I have a large Rubbermaid container that holds my stash. WIPs are in various knitting bags scattered around the house :oops:

CarmenIbanez
01-09-2006, 01:04 PM
I recently moved to a new place and I am so excited because I have a spare room. My mother likes to call it the guest room. I call it the yarn room!

But we lived in a fairly small place before and bought a folding table to be used as a craft/activity desk. I put a nice long table cloth on it, and then undernearth I stored all my yarn in plastic bins. The bins mentioned in this thread from target would be perfect under a table.

But I also have a small bag that I keep whatever is my current project in for mobility sake.

Jax3303
01-09-2006, 01:10 PM
my yarn stash is kept in a 18-gallon rubbermaid storage tub. I put batting and fabric ofer the lid so when it's closed it's a comfy ottoman. I keep my WIP's (and yarn for them) and my needles and tools/notions in a rolling yarn tote that my best friend gave me for Christmas. (there's a pic of it on my blog, scroll down to my 'Yay! Christmas is over' post, link to my blog in my sig)

Jan in CA
01-09-2006, 01:15 PM
Since others are saying where they keep their WIP I will say I keep mine in a pile on the coffee table! :roflhard:

CarmenIbanez
01-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Yeah well, the only reason my stuff is hidden away is because I have so many unfished projects, they wouldn't fit on the coffee table! My New Year's Knitting resolution was to finish all my unfinished projects before I start a new one!

Jax3303
01-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Since others are saying where they keep their WIP I will say I keep mine in a pile on the coffee table! :roflhard:

I wish I could do that. But I can't, because if I did, my kids would pull the needles out of my projects and start sword fighting with them...:roflhard:

Jan in CA
01-09-2006, 01:35 PM

I wish I could do that. But I can't, because if I did, my kids would pull the needles out of my projects and start sword fighting with them...:roflhard:

:roflhard: :roflhard: OMG..that is too funny! Glad my "kids" are now 26 and 29! ;)

Josie
01-09-2006, 01:55 PM
I keep mine in the same Sterlite tote as Jan in CA -- it works really well, and I use the smaller drawers for needles and pattern books (both Mom and Grandma passed their stuff down to me, so I have TONS of needles -- mostly in impossibly small sizes!) I keep them in my bedroom and my husband doesn't even notice them -- except when he's piling his dirty clothes on top instead of putting them in the hamper!

Lisa1216
01-09-2006, 02:43 PM
I have a large Rubbermaid container that holds my stash. WIPs are in various knitting bags scattered around the house

This is me too! (although I have the WIP's in plastic grocery bags :rollseyes: ) I'm almost done with Fiber Trends' Maggies Tote that I'm hoping will hold my WIP's.

Ingrid
01-09-2006, 07:12 PM
If I kept mine on the coffee table, we wouldn't be able to see the TV. :rollseyes:

I have crates, laundry bags, etc., but recently I found the pop up laundry hampers here and there--dollar store, Walmart, etc. and they are great for yarn because you can see what's in them.

knitkat
01-09-2006, 07:57 PM
You are all so good to use "real" containers. I use an old round leather suitcase for my major stash (picked up at a yard sale), it looks nice on top on my amoire. I plan to look for others in the spring and make a stack next to my knitting spot for easy access. Then there are a number of WIP projects in old wicker baskets sprinkled around my house. I feel they make good decorations because the yarn colors and textures look so pretty. I also have a few plastic bags with yarn that I need to keep looking at directly under the coffee table, because, who knows why? That is about as good as it gets for me! :?? :D

dustinac
01-09-2006, 08:31 PM
For my yarn waiting to be put on needles I keep it in a 3 drawer pull out like Jan posted but mine was only 10 so is prolly alot smaller LOL... for the WIP ummm.. some are in my knitting tote, my little knitting pouch I carry on my hip, and various other bags... If I kept it down the kids would decide to "help me" like last time and thats not pretty sweet but not pretty :shock:

Ingrid, I love those pop up things I keep the kids stuffed toys in them and also laundry looovee them... and keep one in the car for groceries less trips down the hill then back up the hill :lol:

Cristy
01-09-2006, 10:17 PM
I'm just starting to ponder this question as my stash is getting rather large. We have an office/craft room in our apartment (3rd bedroom) and right now--all of my yarn is in large michaels bags organized by type of yarn (acrylic, wool, furry stuff :D , etc.). The michaels bags just sit on the floor. When I knit I have a recliner that I sit in in our living room (it's mommy's chair) and beside it there is usually a project bag or two. All of my needles are laying on the floor right now b/c I needed to see what I do and don't have but I plan to make a needle roll case soon to put them in. I'm thinking that I'm going to graduate to wire bins or something next (I'll probably put them in the closet of the craft room.

CarmenIbanez
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
My sister uses these (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15567&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=20686&langId=-1&parentCats=15567*15661*16260) from IKEA. Cheap and easy to hang in closets/etc. I am considering getting a few. I mean $4.99? Sweet!

Cristy
01-09-2006, 11:33 PM
My sister uses these (http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15567&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=20686&langId=-1&parentCats=15567*15661*16260) from IKEA. Cheap and easy to hang in closets/etc. I am considering getting a few. I mean $4.99? Sweet!

Great idea--dontcha just love IKEA?? We just got an IKEA store here a few months (almost a year) back--I could live there!

cmcmom
01-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Carmen my girls have those in their closets for beanie babies. I never even thought about putting yarn in there but alas I am quite new to this.

Right now my stash is on he small side compared to most of y'all so I keep it in one of those plastic file boxes. The lid has a top compartment which is perfect for holding cable needles, safety pins, crochet needles, sewing needles etc.

I have been carrying my WIP in a small pretty gift bag but a friend of mine says that Old Navy has small canvas totes with a zipper interior pouch good for the small stuff. They are on sale for like $7 I think.

earthchick
01-10-2006, 03:23 PM
I converted a small chest in our living room into a space for my stash. It is wide but not deep so I'm able to fairly easily see everything I have. Unfortunately, my boys are currently working on figuring out how to open it, which will be terrible - not so much for what they will do to my yarn, but for what my kitties will do. :rollseyes:

I keep current projects each in their own ziploc bag in my knitting bag (which is a giveaway tote bag I got from Lancome).