PDA

View Full Version : Best ribbing for a hat?

catownedanna
01-10-2006, 08:54 AM
A couple of weeks ago I finished my first hat ever, using Susan's Live Dangerously, Don't Swatch Hat (link: http://home.att.net/~utah-lawrences/Live_Dangerously.pdf )

I decided to use the first suggestion for the ribbing part as I liked the look of it. The hat turned out to be too big. Not just the ribbing part, but overall. Looked like a mushroom on my head...

This weekend I started another one, this time using the half linen stitch option as it said the hat would be "nice and sturdy". This hat turned out to be too small...

Now, I know the amount of stitches when starting my ribbing will affect the size of the hat but when it comes to the ribbing itself... What is, in your opinion, the best ribbing for hats and why?

nicolethegeek
01-10-2006, 09:01 AM
For all the hats I have made, I have used either a k1, p1 rib or k2, p2 rib. I have found them the most stable with the most amount of stretch for the head.

Just my 2 CAN,

Lana
01-10-2006, 10:49 AM
I couldn't get to the pattern you used through the link and I'm not sure how clear I will be trying to explain, but I'll take a shot at it.

My dh doesn't like the ribbing on his hats to smoosh his hair (what's left of it), so I actually use more stitches in the ribbing than the body of the hat. When the cuff is folded up there's no mushroom affect.

If you have a pattern, yarn, needle size combination you like and the body of the hat fits to your liking, add 1 st for every 10sts to the ribbing. Remember to decrease the same number of sts evenly space when you start the body of the hat.
Clear as mud??? :doh:
:X:

catownedanna
01-11-2006, 05:50 AM
nicolethegeek: I decided to go for a basic 2x2-ribbing. I'm using Noro Kureyon and realized I don't need a fancy ribbing for the hat to look good. The colour change does that for me.

Thanks for giving me your opinion!

Lana: Sorry, I made a mistake with the link but I hope I fixed it alright. It's a really neat hat so take a lot at the pattern if you have time.

I like your idea of having more stitches in the ribbing than the top. I might try that! Thanks.

meg
01-11-2006, 11:34 AM
i made my dh a k2p2 hat with cascade wool & size 5 dpn's. it took forever! but the shape came out great. i started it with a stockinette on the bottom so he had a roll edge. rob loves it! :)

nicolethegeek
01-11-2006, 12:52 PM
nicolethegeek: I decided to go for a basic 2x2-ribbing. I'm using Noro Kureyon and realized I don't need a fancy ribbing for the hat to look good. The colour change does that for me.
Thanks for giving me your opinion!
You are very welcome! Ya gotta love patterned yarns... they're great for brainless knitting with a brainless pattern. They come out all patterned looking without even having to think about it! :D