PDA

View Full Version : I lost it...

Ronda
01-10-2006, 10:15 AM
I don't know what happened but I have lost my ability to knit. I made my first booga bag and started my second. I have frogged it 5 times now. Three times I frogged it because you're supposed to pick up stitches and end up with 100 and EVEN THOUGH I SWEAR I COUNTED RIGHT I would end up with 101 stitches or 99 stitches. Finally, after the third time and still getting 99, I figured I'd go with it. Can 1 stitch on a booga bag make that much difference?! Well, it does not matter because I frogged it again. Twice I frogged it because I was knitting in the round and I was getting a beautiful stockinette stitch on the outside of the bag when suddenly I started getting garter stitch on the outside of the bag. How did I do that? I finally frogged the stupid thing again and decided to go to bed last night. How can I have done one bag without a mistake and now I can't do anything right? :frog:

kitkat
01-10-2006, 10:23 AM
After beautifully (IMVHO) finishing my first sock ever, I immediately started on sock 2. After 8 tries (I kid you not), of either missing count, stitches falling off, twisting first row, you name it, I gave it up for the night. Clearly I had used up my good knitting karma for the day. When you start having problems, its time to put it down and work on something else. Next time I work on it, I am going to use that one needle cast on that one of the folks here talks about.

With respect to one extra stitch more or less on a booga, absolutely NOT a problem. My first one I was oh so careful about counting, and like you ripped it out. I can tell how you got the extra stitch though - having had it happen to me......somewhere along the line, your right hand needle just scooped up one of those threads below.......rather than ripping out next time, you can just do a k2together near a side and it will be fine.

With respect to it turning to garter - if you were knitting in the round, somehow you switched to a purl stitch. That probably did need to come out - it might end up wonky when you felt.

Lana
01-10-2006, 10:27 AM
I've been knitting more than 40 years and I still have days like that. :frog:
Sometimes I have to take a couple days away to get back on track. :X:

brendajos
01-10-2006, 10:35 AM
i would say that you likely sat the needles down at some point, came back and started knitting the other direction rather than started purling (as much as i hate purling i don't know that you could accidentally start purling without realizing it! :shock: the idea of it makes me shudder! ;) )

let me tell ya....i haven't been knitting even a year yet but i had been going fairly well without toooo many frogged patterns unless i changed my mind about a pattern. and then on sunday i frogged a pattern SIX times at last count.....and that was after only 5 rows each time. there was nothing i could do either, i had to frog it completely....

and sadly, i am going to have to frog it again because of an error in the pattern (grrrrr)

ya just hafta walk away from it and pick up something else sometimes. i have found that whenever i knit two of something, the second one is ALWAYS much harder to do. i don't think that most of us are ever meant to knit two of the same thing! ;)

you'll be fine. find something else to work on for a bit and then go back to it! :thumbsup:

BonnieM
01-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Hey, I'm on my 4th rip-out of a 2-color multidirectional scarf :doh: I don't know how these things happen, but they just do, no matter how experienced a knitter! You have not lost your ability to knit...just take a deep breath, start something else, and go back to it. As kitkat said, the good karma will return :happydance:

knitncook
01-10-2006, 12:00 PM
With the Booga it doesn't matter much. Just knit those stitches together or make a stitch to get the right count. By the time you felt that sucker you won't see those stitches at all.

When I get in a rut like that I usually put the work down, do something totally different and pick it back up the next day. Sometimes when you get stuck you just can't get past it. Take a break and it will work its way out.

CarmenIbanez
01-10-2006, 12:19 PM
I'll add my story too. I was working on a purse. It was a rectangle that you roll up and put ends on. Well I went all the way to the last end and I couldn't do it. I redid that end like 10 times (it was small). Finally I gave up. I put it aside and two weeks later, picked it up and did it in one try. I have no explanation, except even Michael Vick has a bad game now and then, right?

brendajos
01-10-2006, 12:20 PM
:rollseyes: Nothin' like the days his brother has these days!

Jan in CA
01-10-2006, 12:29 PM
OH you are so not alone! I am working on a double hat at the moment after having completely frogged one whole hat and the ribbing on the other. It had some errors I just couldn't live with. It was to the point where I was thinking I'd figure out a way to make it disappear. "Hat? What hat, dear?" So rather than do that I figured I'd start over and this time I'm spending extra time putting in lifelines every 5 rows or so so I don't have to frog it completely.

As for Booga... when you felt something mistakes don't show so if you are short a stitch, add one. Too many? Just knit two together. No one will be the wiser.. "Why thank you! Yes, it is perfect isn't it!" :angelgrin:

CarmenIbanez
01-10-2006, 12:33 PM
:rollseyes: Nothin' like the days his brother has these days!

Ain't that the truth. There is nothing like wasting talent and potential living your life as if the rules don't apply to you. I am glad to see schools and teams trying to do something about bad behavior (like TO).

sweetjaine
01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
:heart: You are talking football........I have found heaven. :heart:
Knitting and football all in one. I love this place !!!!!! I am obsessed with football. And knitting, I knit while I watch football. I never would have thought this was possible, I thought I was an outcast.

As for knitting disasters... I finally had to give in on my first sweater for my son. It really wasn't going well and I had ripped it out so many times that the yarn was beginning to detiorate, so I quick sewed up the seams, said "Rune, this is your sweater". And put it in a container, not exactly trash, not exactly not trash.

dustinac
01-10-2006, 09:19 PM
I have some days that when I sit down I'm like ummm how did I do that??? Did I enter the needle this way?? or be half row and think am I doing this right :?? Your not alone we all have those moments.. :thumbsup:

humblestumble
01-11-2006, 01:45 AM
:hugs: just keep trying!

Ronda
01-11-2006, 07:33 AM
Thanks, everyone! :heart: It was good to hear that I'm not alone! And brendajos, about what you said about picking up the needles and going the opposite direction - I think that is exactly what I did. I picked up my knitting last night when I KNEW I had some time to relax. I told everyone that they had to wait until I finished a row before I would stop and allow myself to be interrupted! I really paid attention and I'm moving alone fine now! It's gooooooooood. :D

BonnieM
01-11-2006, 07:43 AM
:cheering: :cheering: