PDA

View Full Version : Why do knitting needles cost $40?

knitncook
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
Because yarn keeps showing up on the checkout stand! I ran into my LYS to pick up a pair of size 2 bamboos since I can't get them at JoAnn's and forgot to order them with my last online purchase. And 3 balls of Noro Kureyon (color 131 in case you are interested) ended up in my hands. I have NO idea how that happened. I swear. And then she rang them up and I paid for them. She put them in a bag and I actually carried them out of the store. I was just buying knitting needles so why do I have yarn? :roflhard:

I kept seeing everyone rave about the colors of the Kureyon and would look at it online and it did nothing for me. When I saw it at the LYS I was really taken with the texture and colors. The pictures on the computer do it NO justice at all. You really do need to see it in person to appreciate the colors.

And that is why knitting needles cost $40.

KellyK
01-10-2006, 04:35 PM
But, that's okay....the needles will feel more comfortable in their new home since you brought something from their old home with them! You are SO kind and thoughtful that way! :heart:

Ingrid
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
I've always wondered why my needles were so expensive! :roflhard: :roflhard: But thanks to Kelly, I can see I was just being a good adoptive parent. Thanks. :D

brendajos
01-10-2006, 04:43 PM
can i say that even in person i don't really like kureyon? it is true...i really don't.

and yet i have at least 10 skeins of it at home just waiting to decide what it wants to be.

:rollseyes:

vcuchica931
01-10-2006, 04:59 PM
i love the colors of kureyon but i think it feels rough and scratchy. But i still want it

melaniedc
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
I like the colors too, but I'm not a fan of the scratch. Used all I had on a booga bag! :lol:

ebrperk
01-10-2006, 05:05 PM
I have to agree that I don't really like it either. I like the way the Booga Bags look with it but I would much rather make it with other wool than Kureyon.

feministmama
01-10-2006, 05:30 PM
i love the colors of kureyon but i think it feels rough and scratchy. But i still want it

me too :rollseyes:

knitncook
01-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Yes; it is scratchy but the colors are so lucious! I also like the hand spun look that it has. It is definitely going to be a bag of some sort. Now that I have the Farmer's market tote (free download from kp) and the Booga (ok, it's not really a booga now I slipped the corners like on the farmer's tote and made a flap, but the base is a booga. I guess it is a booga purse?) I'm looking for something new and fresh and funky. Above all funky :D

mintdee
01-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Hey bren Your Noro wants to be my booga bag ;)

:roflhard:

brendajos
01-10-2006, 10:01 PM
lol i will go ask it and see what it says!

trucker945
01-10-2006, 11:11 PM
KellyK, yer not teaching doggies to use the potty anymore? :shock:
:roflhard:

kitkat
01-10-2006, 11:55 PM
I am working on Kureyon sweater. LYS talked me into it......I wouldnt do a sweater in it again though (even though I got the yarn at a decent price). Its skritchy to work with. In addition, working on a booga bag out of a different color way. Once again, skritchy, although not nearly as coarse as the lopi bag I am ALSO working on....

catownedanna
01-11-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm sitting in the office dressed in my just-finished Rosedale Cardigan (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall03/PATTrosedale.html) knitted in Noro Kureyon #170.

I loooove it! It's not scratchy to me but when my sister tried it on she nearly died itching herself. I guess it comes down to how sensitive you are. I aso found that the cardigan "eased" up a bit when being worn for a couple of days.

And by the way, I'm thinking I need a new pair of DPNs and who knows, I might need some yarn for a new hat? :D

nutterknitter
01-11-2006, 10:36 AM
I love my Booga Bag (even tho it's a bit too small) but the Noro yarn "pilled" in a very short time and now the booga bag looks worn and old. My DD says it looks like a homeless person's bag! :crying:

brendajos
01-11-2006, 10:41 AM
oooooooooooooh nutter! you are in Fairfield County. That is my favorite place in the whole world! (yes the whole county!) well except for my farm but i rarely go there either! I lived in Ridgefield for 3 years and Wilton for a year. Every year I think that THIS is going to be the year I move back....then i remember that i make enough to live comfortably here and in poverty there...*sigh*

*sniff* i miss it

knitncook
01-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I love my Booga Bag (even tho it's a bit too small) but the Noro yarn "pilled" in a very short time and now the booga bag looks worn and old. My DD says it looks like a homeless person's bag! :crying:

Two words: sweater shaver! Seriously. I bet it will perk back up after a good shave. :D