PDA

View Full Version : Toe-Up Socks!

CateKnits
01-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Okay, I know there are people other than Angelia and me that are afraid of toe-up and socks and want to try them anyway.
Has anyone found a pattern with a decent diagram of the frighting cast-on?

carollovesyarn
01-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Hi--

There is this (have not tried yet): http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter02/FEATtiptoptoes.html

last night I tried the Turkish cast on (because I'm making a handbag) - the method was in Vogue Fall 2005 and it looks like it'll make a great toe too. It might be one of the methods above in Knitty, but I haven't read thru it well enough - I just found it. Ah, here ya go - Turkish Cast On: http://fluffyknitterdeb.blogspot.com/2005/10/knitting-made-easier-turkish-cast-on.html

Carol
let me know here if you find anything else

Jan in CA
01-13-2006, 02:02 AM
I would like to do this. I have the yarn now, but I will have to wait till I come back from vacation.

humblestumble
01-14-2006, 01:59 AM
wiseneedle.com has a good toe up pattern, the cast on doesn't intimidate me, and it's easy and SO cool once you have the hang of it

http://www.wiseneedle.com/patternpage.asp?pattern=knitpatksox

Mer
01-14-2006, 09:24 PM
Ooh, I may have to try this. I am not a sock person, but I have some sock yarn that I have a strange urge to use.

Vendie
01-14-2006, 10:00 PM
That Turkish cast on and the explanations of the figure 8 look so much easier than what I was trying to do over the Christmas break :rollseyes: I've got loads of sock yarn and would love to do toe up socks...actually my LYS is doing a toe up sock class I think...

carollovesyarn
01-14-2006, 11:03 PM
mmmm...well the Turkish cast on worked wonderfully, altho my purse is turning out smaller than I wanted, but time constraints and laziness are making me not care. ;) I did it in the car, no problem.

Definitely going into my permanent brain cells for future reference.

Jan in CA
01-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Ooh, I may have to try this. I am not a sock person,

Are you a sock puppet? http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/verkleidung/costumed-smiley-087.gif

I wanna make socks!! I have the yarn, but don't have time yet... http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-025.gif

Mer
01-17-2006, 11:39 AM
I started a sock! I'm using this pattern: http://wendyjohnson.net/blog/sockpattern.htm

I'm using a different gauge though, so I hope I can figure it out!

CateKnits
01-17-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm planning to use this pattern: http://knit.atypically.net/socks/sports/
I'm going to get needles today and I already have my wonderful RIT brown and orange yarn. :twisted:
Mer, I was looking at directions for that toe on knitty and it made my head hurt. :shock: I can't wait to see your toe done! :cheering:

Mer
01-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Mer, I was looking at directions for that toe on knitty and it made my head hurt. :shock: I can't wait to see your toe done! :cheering:

Cate, I just followed the directions in the pattern I linked to, and it worked pretty well. I misunderstood it at first, but if you have done short-rows before, that's all it is.

CateKnits
01-18-2006, 12:04 AM
My pattern has a figure eight cast on..After three tries, it's still not working for me. :rollseyes: I don't think I've ever done short rows.
I think I'm going to cheat and try the "easy toe" I found on knitty. It'll look the same as the figure eight.
Progress pictures? :D

misstialouise
01-18-2006, 12:19 AM
FANTASTIC!

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of the short row cast on, so the Easy Toe (which is also described in the Sensational knitted Socks book) looks like a GREAT alternative.

Will have to give them a go when I do some toe up socks for DH.. :D

catownedanna
01-18-2006, 10:28 AM
I started a pair of Toe Up socks two weeks ago. I used Lucia's Sockulator II (her blog is found here http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/ and you find the pattern generator under one of the menues)

The great thing about this Sockulator is that you take your own measurements, insert the numbers and get a pattern calculated for you. It has clear instructions and links to tutorials (or articles as she calls them) for help.

I've made one and a half sock now. Hope to have the second one finished this weekend!

newbieknit
01-19-2006, 11:50 PM
I am just starting to work on the Knit Picks Toe Up two socks at once http://www.knitpicks.com/projects/itemid_50417220/projects_display_yarn.aspx
Which honestly looks fairly simple.
I'll update y'all about how it's going. :happydance: :happydance:

Mer
01-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Turned the heel! :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

humblestumble
01-23-2006, 11:41 PM
yeay! :cheering: :cheering: :thumbsup:

Mer
01-28-2006, 12:35 AM
I finished one sock! I have to recommend that you bind off very very loosely for toe-up socks!!!! I had to re-do my bind-off 3 times before I could get it on my foot. It actually ended up a little loose on the foot part, but otherwise fits fine! I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. :D

CateKnits
01-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Yay, Mer! I can't wait for pictures!
I frogged my cast on like four times and had to take a break from it. :rollseyes: A girl in a couple of my classes told me if I couldn't get it, she could help me. She even asked me if my yarn was from Knit Picks!

Mer
01-28-2006, 05:25 PM
Here's sock number one! I wish my feet weren't so big--it seemed like it took a long time. :rollseyes: Any one else done any toe-ups yet?

CateKnits
01-28-2006, 05:35 PM
NICE sock, Mer! :cheering: I suppose I should pick mine up again today, after seeing that one. :thinking: I frogged it, though, so I'm starting over. Maybe I'll start one with thicker yarn first.

sogrammatical
01-28-2006, 06:17 PM
If you're still having trouble with the cast on, I found a toe-up pattern (http://secure.elann.com/ShowFreePattern.asp?Id=5024) a little while ago that didn't use the figure 8 cast on.

In this pattern, you do a cable cast on, which isn't bad as long as you do it loosely, then you do one row as double knitting (it explains how), and then you divide your stitches on your needles. This can probably be adapted to your pattern just by changing the number of stitches you cast on.

CateKnits
01-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks! That looks like something with which I would have a lot less trouble.

Julie
01-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I started a pair of toe-up socks today, and let me tell you, it's been a freaking F5 experience. I tried the "easy toe" first, and it was totally jacked. So then, on to the short row toe, which seemed next-easiest...um, try again. It completely sucked. So finally, I try the figure 8, which I've been totally avoiding because it sounds skeeery :shock: and that one did the trick. Finally. Yeesh. One toe down, one to go. I'm doing different colored toes/heels so I'm going to do both toes first, to get it over with. :rollseyes:

I'm wondering if I'm totally going to jack the heel, though, because I jacked the short-row toe so badly. Really, it was horrendous.

I'm kind of bummed, too, because I really enjoy knitting socks -- I've never had any trouble with top-down socks, but I like the idea of toe-up because then you can just keep knitting and not worry about running out of yarn/how long the cuff can be. But so far I'm not enjoying it too much....we'll see how the heel goes.......

Celine
01-28-2006, 09:34 PM
I took three sock lessons at my local knit/yarn shop. I learned using the "provisional cast on" method. It was easy to do. The short rows are what threw me but thank God it "clicked" for me this Thursday night when I went for her "help night". So I came right home to begin the second sock. I am done as far as to the point of "learning" how to do the heels. I am knitting them at the same time so I will end up with TWO socks!! I can't wait to begin a second pair.

Julie
01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Okay...some progress...these are going to be really cozy :thumbsup:

kimmie
01-29-2006, 10:56 PM
Even though I'm not officially part of this KAL, I am currently doing toe-up socks. I'm doing them with worsted weight yarn for my daughter and they are too thick to fit in her shoes. sob. She can wear them around as house socks I guess. sigh. I will say that they knit up MUCH faster than the teeny sock yarn socks did. I'm done with one and about a third of the way through the next. I used the figure 8 cast on and I really do like that. The heels however are another story. I like the heels on my top-down socks way, way, WAY better. I think I'll try to find another set of directions because the ones I was following had errors and I am not comfortable enough to know if I fudged it alright or not.

sogrammatical
01-29-2006, 11:18 PM
Can I join this KAL even if I'm getting close to finishing my socks? It popped up while I was away and I've been watching it for a few days.

I'm making a pair in the knitpicks simple stripes. I love how the colors knit up! And everyone is really impressed with the stripes, and even when I tell them it's just the yarn, they're still wicked impressed, as if I was the one that made the yarn do that. It's doing wonders for my ego!

I'm so excited to actually wear these socks.

Mer
02-01-2006, 12:50 AM
Yay, more toe-up knitters! You can join the KAL whenever you want--no rules! (right Cate? I guess this is your KAL!)

Julie, the heels are gonna be fine! How are they different from top-down ones? :??

CateKnits
02-01-2006, 12:54 AM
It's not my KAL! I haven't even re-cast on yet. :oops: Sigh. I'll get there, I promise.
But yes, no rules. Join whenever you want! The more, the merrier! And the more, the less likely people will notice I started this and am not making any. :rollseyes:

Julie
02-01-2006, 12:56 AM
Mer, I've only done heel flap/gusset heels -- short row heels totally spook me. I think I'm actually going to do afterthought heels, because I'm so chicken. :oo:

I must say, I'm not enjoying toe-up very much. With cuff-down, you get the most monotonous stuff done first, then get to turn the heel, do the gusset, etc, and it's not long before you reach the toe. With toe-up, you do all of the interesting stuff first, then have to suffer through hours of ribbing. :rollseyes: I had to put them aside because I was so stinkin' bored. :rollseyes:

kimmie
02-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Here are the socks so far.

Julie
02-01-2006, 01:50 AM
:inlove: Great job!!

kimmie
02-01-2006, 08:38 AM
Thanks Julie, but honestly what I'm most proud of there is that I actually managed to take a digital picture and get it in my post. The socks I'm ready to give up on. I got up past the heel on the second one and then discovered a "run" even though I still had the right number of stitches on the needles. The run was in such an ackward spot with the short rows that when I fixed it, it just didn't seem right. So, I ripped back a lot and it's still not back on the needles. I'm not sure it ever will be.

:) kimmie

Celine
02-01-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm knitting socks also from the toe UP. I will get help tomorrow on doing the heels..I have NO idea how to do the heels. Reading the books on it etc. isnt' the same as actually SEEING it done. That's the way I learn best I think. :XX:

vcuchica931
02-01-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm knitting socks also from the toe UP. I will get help tomorrow on doing the heels..I have NO idea how to do the heels. Reading the books on it etc. isnt' the same as actually SEEING it done. That's the way I learn best I think. :XX:

Yeah I agree with you. I want to knit some from the toe up but I'm afraid that I'll do something wrong. I wish Silver had a tutorial for knitting socks from the toe up as well. :lol:

Kimmie, your socks are cute! Love the little hearts!

jessi_9783
02-16-2006, 04:34 PM
I'm late but I'm joining this KAL. I've just completed my first pair of Sockulator V toe-ups, link is in sig. This is the first time I've made toe-ups and also the first time I've made two socks on one needle.

I posted these pics in the KO KAL but I'm posting them here just in case y'all haven't checked out the KO KAL.

Toe:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO003-vi.jpg

Foot:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO004-vi.jpg
I know it really doesn't look that much different from the toe.

Heel:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO005-vi.jpg
Please ignore my ashy knee and look at how the needle looks like an antenna coming off of my left foot. :D

Leg:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/WIPs/KO006-vi.jpg

Finished Product:
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/jessi_9783/Knitting%202006/FOs/KO007.jpg
I finished these today at 1AM CST.

I love how these socks came out so later today I will be starting another pair for my sister!!!

Celine
02-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Last month I took three classes at my LYS learning how to knit socks the Toe Up method and I have to say at first it was not easy. The provisional cast on was easy but the short rows were hard for me. The hard part was I just didn't "understand" why I was making those short rows. Then thank God it just "clicked" and I GOT it!! :roflhard: I suddenly knew what I was doing and why I was doing it!! I have since knit four pair of socks!! :XX: :XX: I love it!! :heart: I don't even need a pattern just need the persons foot measurements that I am knitting the socks for. If I can do it..so can YOU. :cheering: Don't give up!!

CateKnits
02-16-2006, 11:22 PM
I tried my toe ups again last night and still cannot get the stupid figure eight cast on! gljvbladbckdcvqeuyvequf I think I'm just going to have to give in and use a provisional one.

humblestumble
02-17-2006, 03:35 AM
If it helps you, Cate, When I did the figure 8 cast on, I rubberbanded one end of the needles together, so that the cast on wouldnt slip off, and I slipped the yarn toward the rubber band so it could keep consistency. I also rubber banded the needles together alternatively during the first two rows.

Mer
02-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Yours look great, jessi! Here are mine; I had some issues with the bind off being too tight, but otherwise they worked just fine!

CateKnits
02-22-2006, 10:49 PM
:cheering: :cheering: Yay Jessi and Mer! Jessi, I'm working on a pair of top down socks in that yarn. I loooove the colors.
I should really start mine again, shouldn't I? :doh:

carollovesyarn
02-22-2006, 11:20 PM
Finally cast on for my toe-up Jaywalkers! For some reason, the provisional cast-on just doesn't do it for me, so I attempted figure 8. After one false start, I've done one row! Whoo-hoo! Now I can't wait to get to the 'real' knitting.

Jackie F.
02-23-2006, 01:08 AM
I don't have a pattern to offer, but I can share another cast on method.

I'm trying to make my first sock (toe-up) using the magic loop method. I researched different cast on methods online and in my knitting library. The one I caught on to the fastest was the Increase Cast On that is in my The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe. It's very simple! You cast on half the needed stitches, and then knit in the front and back of each stitch to double the number of stitches. the cool part comes next: pull out the needle and the loops pop to the front and back in an alternating pattern. (The more stitches you cast on, you might have to ruffle the loops so that they pop to the front or back.) Put a needle through the back loops from right to left. Then put a needle through the front loops from right to left. The working yarn will be on the back left needle. The first stitch will be on the front left needle. You can redistribute the stiches however you want.

I liked the idea of the figure 8 cast on, but I thought it was a bit tricky and think it'll take some more practice. The Turkish cast on is new to me and looks really cool! I will have to try it along with the other cast on methods mentioned in the Knitty tutorial.

Good luck with your socks! ;)

Jackie F.
02-23-2006, 01:13 AM
I don't have a pattern to offer, but I can share another cast on method.

I'm trying to make my first sock (toe-up) using the magic loop method. I researched different cast on methods online and in my knitting library. The one I caught on to the fastest was the Increase Cast On that is in my The Knitting Answer Book by Margaret Radcliffe. It's very simple! You cast on half the needed stitches, and then knit in the front and back of each stitch to double the number of stitches. the cool part comes next: pull out the needle and the loops pop to the front and back in an alternating pattern. (The more stitches you cast on, you might have to ruffle the loops so that they pop to the front or back.) Put a needle through the back loops from right to left. Then put a needle through the front loops from right to left. The working yarn will be on the back left needle. The first stitch will be on the front left needle. You can redistribute the stiches however you want.

I liked the idea of the figure 8 cast on, but I thought it was a bit tricky and think it'll take some more practice. The Turkish cast on is new to me and looks really cool! I will have to try it along with the other cast on methods mentioned in the Knitty tutorial.

Good luck with your socks! ;)

carollovesyarn
02-23-2006, 03:25 AM
I've done the Turkish cast-on. I thought it was a bit easier than the figure-8, but it ends up being a bit 'looser', though it does make a nice fold. I used it for the cast-on for my recent purse. I'll try to remember to post a picture of what it looks like.

jessi_9783
02-23-2006, 09:00 AM
Yours look great, jessi! Here are mine; I had some issues with the bind off being too tight, but otherwise they worked just fine!
Thanks Mer, your socks look great too. The cast off I used was for 2x2 rib.

2x2 rib:
K1, *bl (backward loop), pso (pass stitch over), k1, pso, p1, pso, bl, pso, p1, pso, k1, pso,* repeat between * until all sts are cast off.

1x1 rib: K1, *bl, pso, p1, pso, k1, pso, bl, pso, p1, pso, k1, pso,* repeat between * until all sts are cast off.

:cheering: :cheering: Yay Jessi and Mer! Jessi, I'm working on a pair of top down socks in that yarn. I loooove the colors.
I should really start mine again, shouldn't I? :doh:
I love the colors too. I made a pair of cuff down socks in Simple Stripes Crayon. I just love Simple Stripes and I don't know why. It only has 3 different colors in it yet I just can't get enough of it. I think you should give toe-ups another go and maybe forget about the figure 8 cast on for awhile and try another cast on. I'm going to try the figure 8 cast on soon. Wish me luck. :pray:

I'm trying to make my first sock (toe-up) using the magic loop method.
ML really shines with socks. It's great. I absolutely love ML and use it exclusively. I don't even own any dpns. Good luck with the socks! I've had The Knitting Answer Book on my list of books to purchase and now you've given me another reason to buy it soon. So thanks!

Julie
02-28-2006, 02:15 AM
I finally finished my toe-up socks :happydance: They didn't actually take very long to knit, I just got soooo bored with the ribbing that I put them aside for a few weeks. But I'm cleaning house.....

I have to say, I don't enjoy toe-up as much as top-down. I did learn a few new skills, though (figure-8 cast on, afterthought heel) and they're very cozy!! :D

carollovesyarn
02-28-2006, 03:59 AM
Julie! Those turned out great. I'd like to know why you didn't enjoy toe-up though. I know it took you a few tries to find the right toe cast-on, but I thought it was smooth sailing after that. How did the heels go?

I had to frog my toes. I finally managed the figure-8 CO ok, then was really struggling using 2 dpns. I think it was because they were 29" Susan Bates - really wily even after heat straightening (which really did nothing). Also, I didn't notice this until I was using them, but where the join is, the metal needle is crimped to the cord and is larger than the needle diameter. So every time I have to move the stitches, I'm fighting that bump! That and the needles themselves are really long. Really bad design. So I frogged and now I need more US1 needles.

I looked at my Crystal Palace bamboo circs size 0s, and the cord and join are smaller than the needle (concept!), not to mention the cord rotates freely. I can't decide between getting size 1 Addis or Crystal Palace circs - it's a splurge either way.

So much for finishing socks in February. :( No credit for me.

Julie
02-28-2006, 11:04 AM
I think I like top-down better because you get all of the boring stuff out of the way first. Then you get to do the interesting stuff, like the heel flap, turning the heel, the gusset, then you're almost done. :thumbsup:

The heel went great -- I tried a short row heel once before and it was horrific so I decided to do the afterthought heel instead, and I really like the way it fits! :D

I'm a little confused from your post..are you using 7" dpns, or are you using two circs? :??

carollovesyarn
02-28-2006, 07:47 PM
Der! Two circs. Well, I was posting late at night. At least I wasn't trying to knit - ;) . Thanks for catching that. I was tempted to go back and edit it and ask why you were confused, but I'm not that mean :lol:

I just remembered that I didn't get Addis because they are different millimeters than US1 - I had already gotten gauge on US1 dpns, so that's why I went and got the Susan Bates US1 circs. If I were to use Addi US1, my socks could be about 0.75 inches larger. Tho in retrospect, this might not be a bad thing for Jaywalkers! I think I need to get any circ with a flexy cord, Inox express would probably be the most affordable unless I go with an eBay Addi seller.

Afterthought heel! I've been wanting to try one. I'll have to read up and see if I want to try it on these. I know what you mean about the boring part - it seems like the legs take the longest! I guess I was thinking toe-up would be good for limited yardage. Maybe they would also be good for lace-pattern or fairisle socks?

Carol

Julie
02-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Ahhh...I found that it was easier to start them on DPNs, then switch to the 2 circs once I was a few rows in. Much less cumbersome. :D

jessi_9783
02-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Julie the sock looks great! I love the colors. Did you like working with LP's Superwash?

Julie
02-28-2006, 11:16 PM
Thanks! :D I love the colors -- they're gorgeous up close! The yarn is a little splitty, and while knitting it felt scratchy, but the socks don't itch when I wear them. I'm curious to see how it softens up when I wash them.

Celine
03-10-2006, 09:01 PM
I took classes on the "Toe Up' method of knitting socks. I was pulling my hair out the first two classes and then SUDDENLY it "hit me" and I haven't stopped knitting socks yet!! I only learned about two months ago and I am on my 7th pair of socks!! Give it a try and you won't be sorry once it "clicks" for you. :XX: :XX: The provisional cast on is easy once you understand what you are doing and why. ;)

rebecca
04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
:shock: I've missed 2 sock KALs.... :shock: