PDA

View Full Version : Wool Allergies

rebeccainhb
01-14-2006, 01:46 PM
HELP I'm allergic to wool but, just fell in love with knitting :(
Any others in my same boat? Wool has all the neat yarns.
How about felting projects can they be made using other yarns or blends?
Itching In HB.

Jan in CA
01-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Are you actually allergic or just sensitive to it? I can't wear it, but I can knit with it.

You can felt with animal fibers so alpaca, wool and ?? Some blends felt, but make sure they aren't machine washable. Those do NOT felt.

Ingrid
01-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Alpaca is lovely, and hypoallergenic from what I understand. It does felt, but softer than wool--also not something I've done, but have read. There's cotton and silk, too. Also some wools, like merino, are super soft--maybe you wouldn't have a problem with those.

KnittingWounded
01-14-2006, 03:00 PM
... if you are allergic? I am knitting with 100% wool for the first time, and I have been noticing that my hands have been swelling up a bit, sometimes quite painfully. It's not crippling or anything, just disconcerting...

I have heard some good things about cotton blends, and (this is blasphemy, I know) there are some good-quality acrylics out there if you need a knitting fix and can't get your hands on anything else.

Julie
01-14-2006, 03:34 PM
I know that Andean Silk (http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420126) felts....it does have a little merino in it, though -- not a ton, but if you have a serious allergy you might have a problem with it. I've made baby items from it -- it's sooooo soft!

gardenmommy
01-14-2006, 03:41 PM
If I remember reading correctly the gal who is the editor or something similar of Knitty.com is allergic to wool as well, and might have done an article on alternate fibers.

Arugula
01-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, I just read her spinning alternate fibers journey. Fascinating stuff.

Darhain
01-14-2006, 08:05 PM
Something you might try is organic wool. It's a bit more difficult to find, and more expensive (of course), but a lot of people who are "allergic" to wool are actually reacting to the chemicals used to clean and process the wool. Minimally processed wool might be a good place to start, actually.

One of my favorite wool sources is www.blackberry-ridge.com -- their merino is minimally processed, SOOOO freaking soft you would never know it's wool, it doesn't pill much at all, and it comes in some absolutely gorgeous colorways! Also, Montana Targhee is a minimally processed wool. And Morehouse Merino ( www.morehousefarm.com ) is another super soft, oh-so-yummy, minimally processed wool. :thumbsup:

Ingrid
01-14-2006, 08:12 PM
I just discovered earlier today that Morehouse Farm is about 15 minutes away from me. I think I have to boot my car. :rollseyes:

Darhain
01-14-2006, 09:59 PM
I just discovered earlier today that Morehouse Farm is about 15 minutes away from me. I think I have to boot my car. :rollseyes:

Okay, first you live close enough to drive up to the WEBS warehouse every once in awhile, and now you're only fifteen minutes from the Morehouse farm?!? I am so jealous!!!

The pics for the book Weekend Knitting were taken there. It just makes me drool all the more every time I open the book. And the yarn really is so fantabulous! :D

Ingrid
01-14-2006, 10:37 PM

Okay, first you live close enough to drive up to the WEBS warehouse every once in awhile, and now you're only fifteen minutes from the Morehouse farm?!? I am so jealous!!!

The pics for the book Weekend Knitting were taken there. It just makes me drool all the more every time I open the book. And the yarn really is so fantabulous! :D

It's a terrible burden, I know, but I will bear it bravely. I know one of these nice days I'm going to take a ride up there. I also know that I won't walk out empty handed. It's not one of those huge places where you're not noticed. What am I going to do--say "No thanks, I'm just feeling?"

CateKnits
01-14-2006, 10:39 PM
What am I going to do--say "No thanks, I'm just feeling?"
My roommate and I went to a LYS just to visit the lady's dog. We told her that, too. "Hi, we're here to pet the dog." :roflhard: She DID buy some yarn, though, and I looked at books, but didn't find any I wanted.

Ingrid
01-15-2006, 09:59 AM
:roflhard: That must have been some dog to pass up petting the yarn instead. ;)

Kirochka
01-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I've mostly just used acrylic yarn, since I'm a beginner and don't want to spend too much on yarn until I know what I'm doing, but at my mother's once I tried knitting with some wool yarn she had, and my eyes started stinging and running. I don't know if it was that particular wool or something that was in it, because I've never had a problem wearing wool (except for itchiness, regular garden variety).

I'll need more experience before I know for sure if there's some sort of allergy involved, I guess.