PDA

View Full Version : Okay, got a wheel coming, what else do I need?

wabbit
01-15-2006, 03:41 PM
I've tried spinning with a drop spindle and love it, so I'm taking the plunge and getting a wheel. I chose the Ashford Traditional, says it comes with 4 bobbins and a lazy kate. Well I started looking at all of the accessories, and wondering what else I'd need! So what are the truly essential items?

Mad About Wool
01-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Woo Hoo! :happydance: Congratulations!!!!

Well, you probably want to get a niddy noddy for winding your skeins off your bobbin. I also like a thing called The Spinner's Control Card. It lets you visually check your spinning at a glance to help you maintain a consistent yarn size. Other than that, just fiber, fiber and more fiber!!

amy
01-15-2006, 11:41 PM
Yeah, what she said. ;)

That's a great wheel, good choice. :thumbsup: And congratulations!!!

VickiIL
01-16-2006, 10:33 AM
That is the wheel I bought! I LOVE it! The only thing I bought other than the wheel was a niddy noddy. (The wonderful lady at the store gave me two big bags of fiber!) I don't plan on getting any of the accessories until I have mastered what I have!!!

Oh I did get a book by Lee Raven called Hands on Spinning. That book has been helpful to me.

VickiIL
01-16-2006, 10:40 AM
Woo Hoo! :happydance: Congratulations!!!!

Well, you probably want to get a niddy noddy for winding your skeins off your bobbin. I also like a thing called The Spinner's Control Card. It lets you visually check your spinning at a glance to help you maintain a consistent yarn size. Other than that, just fiber, fiber and more fiber!!

What is a spinners control card? Where do you find them?

Mad About Wool
01-16-2006, 01:08 PM
A Spinner's Control Card is a clear lucite card with the different thickness of yarn on it. You lay your spun single (or plied yarn) on in to determine the number of wraps per inch, which gives you an indication of how thick or thin, and how much variation is happening with your spinning. Here are some links at random, NAYY:

http://www.mielkesfarm.com/swifts.htm#scc

http://www.halcyonyarn.com/flyer/StockingStuffers.html

http://www.woolery.com/Pages/spinaccess.html

:oops: Also, I forgot to mention oil for your spinning wheel - lots of people use a lightweight oil such as sewing machine oil or 3 in 1.

And, if you are going to process your own wool, you would want either some hand cards or combs. (But, I think I am jumping ahead here!)

wabbit
01-16-2006, 03:42 PM
:lol: I already changed my mind! I cancelled that order and am getting the Lendrum double treadle instead. I don't think I'll be carding my own fleece just yet, I'll barely have a space for the wheel! Now for the waiting, ugh...

Mad About Wool
01-16-2006, 05:08 PM
Oh, a Lendrum is a GREAT choice!!! According to Mr. Lendrum they don't need oiling. Do you know how long you will have to wait for it? Not long, I hope. :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

wabbit
01-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Hope not long! But I still have plenty of roving and my spindle to keep me busy. Not that I'm any good at it :lol:

Mad About Wool
01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
Well, be sure and let us know as soon as you find out when it is to be delivered. ;)

wabbit
01-17-2006, 01:38 PM
Well I might be waiting for a month :(

BUT, there is a shop about an hour away from me, and she said they are expecting 2 wheels to come in any day now, and one is not spoken for! She will call me when they come in, and you can bet I'll be going down there ASAP to get it!

Send your good thoughts my way in hopes that I get this wheel and not have to wait, PLEASE!!!

wabbit
01-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Well somebody must have sent me good vibes, because I am going to pick up a wheel tomorrow! :cheering:

VickiIL
01-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Well somebody must have sent me good vibes, because I am going to pick up a wheel tomorrow! :cheering:

:cheering: :cheering: IS it the same one you had originally planned to get? :cheering: :cheering:

Mad About Wool
01-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Awesome!! Will you be able to sleep tonight? :cheering: :thumbsup: :D

wabbit
01-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I am getting the Lendrum Double Treadle - I'll have to get some extras separately, it's not a complete package like are available other places. And no, I don't think I'll be able to sleep! I'll probably end up getting to that shop even before they open :roflhard:

Mad About Wool
01-17-2006, 10:30 PM
I don't guess it would be helpful to tell you to "count sheep" to go to sleep in this particular case. :lol:

wabbit
01-17-2006, 11:44 PM
:rofling:

Can't wait!!

wabbit
01-18-2006, 03:49 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Ya, I am a dork, I know :lol: IT IS HERE!!! Woo-hoo! Now I just have to figure out how to use it!

Vendie
01-18-2006, 04:02 PM
I'm such a dork, I took pictures of mine while it was still in the box, and then again as pieces (I had to assemble it myself), and then AGAIN when it was finally put together! :roflhard: I'll probably make a scrapbook page out of it :roflhard:

Mad About Wool
01-18-2006, 06:33 PM
:happydance: :happydance: :happydance:

Ya, I am a dork, I know :lol: IT IS HERE!!! Woo-hoo! Now I just have to figure out how to use it!

YAHOO!!!!!

Mad About Wool
01-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Hey wabbit, have you come up for air yet? ;)

wabbit
01-19-2006, 03:25 PM
:lol:

I actually haven't had a whole lot of time to devote to it. I messed around with it for about an hour and a half total, and got frustrated cause I sucked so bad and quit :lol:

I did get some good spinning accomplished on my spindle though! I read a little of the Alden Amos book, and am ready to try and tackle the wheel again. I have a video coming, and I already signed up for a class at my LYS, but until then I'll just have to try to figure it out on my own.

Mad About Wool
01-19-2006, 05:08 PM
Just don't start drawing a bath for yourself and think "I'll try this for a few minutes while my bath is running." :oops:

You will get it. I had no one to teach me and I still managed to muddle through. I am sure within the next couple of days you will be surprised at what you can do.

VickiIL
01-19-2006, 05:28 PM
The first time I tried my wheel, all I got was a big mess. The next time I started out with a mess and but before long it clicked. It is still super uneven and in some places overspun....but it isn't just a mass of balled up fibers!!! You will get it.

amy
01-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Oooh, congratulations Wabbit, Lendrums are fantastic! I have a friend who just got that wheel.

Make sure your break tension (the turny knob with the fishing line wrapped around it, assuming it has that feature) isn't too tight. I once sat down to help a friend who was struggling to learn to spin, and turned out her break tension was so tight that no spinner could spin on her wheel! It should be just tight enough that the yarn is pulled gently into the flyer. If it's being pulled firmly in, that's way too tight, and your yarn will be far more likely to break and get sucked in.

wabbit
01-22-2006, 03:12 PM
Thanks for the tips! I did learn pretty quick about the brake tension after struggling A LOT with it. And I'm already doing a lot better, getting the hang of treadling, but I still need to work on my drafting. It is so great, and I'm so glad I decided to get it!

Mad About Wool
01-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Mwwaa Haa Haa - Another one caught in the spinning web :devil: (But isn't it sooo much fun?)

Justknit1223
10-03-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm definitely the biggest dork here. I'm the only 9th grader I know that went to the Fiber Loft in Harvard Ma to take a 5 hour class to learn how to spin yarn. (on a wheel, the drop spindle seemed tedious and boring to me)

At first I struggled with the hand motions. Treadling was easy and mindless. It's similar to rubbing your stomach and patting your head, you always have to think of one more than the other as you do it. After lunch it resonated a little more with me and I made a little better progress. IT JUST TAKES A HECK OF A LOTTA PRACTICE AND PATIENCE.

Attached is a picture of my results. I dyed it with Kool-Aid a and it still smells like sugar!!! :roflhard:

I learned on a Louet s10 and I've been scouring the internet with my mom trying to find a used wheel. I'm also looking into the Louet s15 a friend of mine is letting me practice on hers, and its practically the same as the s10. I think I'm leaning towards the Louet s15 though...

Lastly, not to be a nuisance but if anyone knows where I can find one it would be gratefully appreciated!!! :heart:

DogCatMom
10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
While you're scouring the Internet, be sure to scour Ravelry's Used Spinning Equipment forum. I'm sure that most of the offers there never appear anywhere else.

Good luck!