PDA

View Full Version : need scrunchable scarf suggestions...updated!

Cristy
01-16-2006, 11:37 AM
I am about to start the scrunchable scarf for dh and I need a few suggestions from those of you who have done this pattern--I am going to use cool wool (Lion's brand) and the gauge calls for 10.5 needles--anyone have any thoughts on how many stitches would make a good width (I'm a bad judge of with for scarves) and also whether or not I should double my yarn? Thanks in advance!

Jan in CA
01-16-2006, 11:41 AM
You might have to experiment a bit. 35 stitches on size 7 needles made mine about 6 inches or so. It's an easy pattern that knits quickly so I suggest you co say 29 stitches, knit about 3 or 4 rows and see if you like the width. If not adjust accordingly. Just remember it's a multiple of 3 plus 2 for the selvedge edges.

Ingrid
01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I generally cast on until it looks as wide as I want. It gets a bit wider as you knit, so that has to be taken into consideration. If it's bulky wool, I'd go with a single strand. I'm doing one now with a boucle that calls for 10 1/2 needles, but I went down to 9 because I want it to be denser.

That's the beauty of this pattern. It's so flexible!

Jan in CA
01-16-2006, 12:30 PM
Here's a photo of the start of my scrunchable. I'm making it narrow intentionally because 1. it's popular here and 2. I'm stash-busting and want to use up this ball in one project.

This is 23 stitches and about 3.5 inches across on size 8 needles. Forgot to mention that I love how nice and straight the edges are with the selvedge! You can see that with just a few rows you get a really good idea of the final width.

Cristy
01-16-2006, 01:53 PM
Thanks for th pic--that helps. I've been playing around and I think I'm going to go w/ size 8 needles too--I'm thinking my width will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 38 stitches--I want it to be somewhat wide but not so much that it would need to be folded over, etc.
I almost exclusively use the long-tail/double cast on so I always try to get a feel for width so I know who much to calculate for my tail. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jenelle
01-16-2006, 02:16 PM
I started a scrunchable scarf a few days ago.. I made it I think 41 stitches. It's about 7 or 8 inches wide, but it should reach about 40 inches long because of how this yarn is(whenever it knits, it thins out in a way, like the yarn is worsted weight, but whenever you put tension on it, it thins out for some odd reason. I hope I didn't confuse anyone :shock: )

I could let you see how wide mine is since I did 41 stitches. It's quite a bit wider than Jan's though :shock:

Cristy
01-16-2006, 03:10 PM
If you have a pic, that would be great...I can't remember the weight on kool wool right off--I believe it's a little heavier than worsted. It sounds like your width is more what I'm looking for.

Jenelle
01-16-2006, 04:09 PM
Okay, I got the pictures. Here it is:

misstialouise
01-16-2006, 04:44 PM
I cast on around 18+2 (selvage) and my wool is a bulky weight (14ply) and it's about 5" across. It's still going to take 4 balls to make the scarf though, because there was only 58m per ball :S I'm using an 8mm needle.

Cristy
01-16-2006, 05:29 PM
thanks guys--I'm thinking about size 10 needles afterall...I'm thinking that kool wool must be a heavy worsted--I'm thinking 38 stitches--maybe only 35 will do it for me--I'm not going to officially start for a couple of hours--I'm waiting until I get to tonight's SnB.

Cristy
01-16-2006, 09:55 PM
So I started my scarf and went with a width of 38 stitches which is measuring up to be roughly 8 inches wide. So it's a little wider than everyone else's but since I'm making it as masculine as possible--the extra width is helping.

The Kool Wool is knitting up nicely and I think it was a great choice to use it single stranded. It is a bulky weight yarn--I looked it up--only to find that most colors are now discontinued!?!?!? I love this yarn so I'm sad. Hopefully I have enough for the scarf..I think I do...I have 6 skeins at 50g each. Anyone remember how much yarn it took and what your final length was?

Cristy
01-16-2006, 09:56 PM
and I decided on size 10 needles...and I measured wrong--it's 8.5" wide

Cristy
01-16-2006, 09:57 PM
do you think that's too wide???

Ingrid
01-16-2006, 10:14 PM
The one I'm making for myself with boucle is at least that wide.

Cristy
01-16-2006, 10:29 PM
LOL!! Well since that last post...oh..about 10 minutes ago...I logged off, picked up the knitting, found some mistakes--got mad, frogged it, started over 6 stitches narrower (although the width is almost exactly the same--I was knitting too tightly..it's looser now..but not loose) and I'm 4 rows into it. LOL! I swear I won't frog it again..I just want it to be good since it's the first thing I've knitted for dh! :) I know he'll love it regardless but I want him to be impressed.

Cristy
01-16-2006, 10:31 PM
just measured...this one is actually wider--just a smidge under 9". I think I like it this wide--glad to know someone else is making it wide too. :)