PDA

View Full Version : WS RS

Nancy C
01-17-2006, 10:19 AM
I heard that with just all knitting there really is not a wrong and a right side. the pattern I am working on says there is. How do you tell with knit and purl?

DotMom61
01-17-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi Nancy!

Do you mean when you're doing stockinette stitch? In other words, you knit one row, then purl the next?

You will end up w/ one side looking like rows and columns of little V's (the knits), and when you turn it over, you'll have a bunch little bumps (the purls).

Have you had a chance to look at Amy's videos (click here (http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/getting_started/) to go tothe "Getting Started" page)?? She goes through the knit and purl stitches, and I believe she will show the difference of the two sides, too, I think ... I haven't looked @ the videos for a while.

I hope this helps!! Good luck!

Nancy C
01-17-2006, 10:53 AM
with the V's as knits and bumps as purls, which is right and which is wrong? The video does not say.

mintdee
01-17-2006, 10:55 AM
the V's are normally the right side in stockingette. :D

DotMom61
01-17-2006, 11:21 AM
the V's are normally the right side in stockingette. :D :oops: Oops! Sorry! I guess I left out that crucial bit of information!!!

Also, to confuse things, some patterns *will* use the bump (purl) side as the right side and they'll call it "reverse stockinette." But, normally, the "right side" will be the Vs (knits).