PDA

View Full Version : Knitting Olympics!!!

nicolethegeek
01-17-2006, 02:17 PM
Who's joining Yarn Harlot's Knitting Olympics (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2006/01/14/citius_altius_fortius.html)? I just signed up for it! I'm going to enter in my HBC Booger. I think it will be a challenge to me to get it done {and felted!!!} in 16 days!

CarmenIbanez
01-17-2006, 02:47 PM
OH MY GOSH! I am totally going to do this! How much fun! I'm going to do this (www.lanagrossa.com/service/mdm/05_2005/index.html) sweater from Lana Grossa!

WynnieG
01-17-2006, 02:56 PM
I'm going to join. Picking a smaller yet challenging project (at least for me).

My plan is to knit a hat. Knit the whole thing, instead of my usual work the brim in knit and crochet the crown because I'm afraid of my decreases looking like crap. Now that I know what I was doing wrong with the dec's, I can make a new attempt to conquer my fear of knitting on circulars, and still have a chance of finishing in time with my other project, the first YOTS sweater, going on simultaneously.

Woot. I'm a knittin' fool.

mintdee
01-17-2006, 03:07 PM
I will be joining in on the fun as well. I am going to make a bag for my daughters leapster that will be pink with her name knitted in purple. Having never done colorwork like this and the bag will be made up from various other patterns to get the bag that I want for her. Then felted. So this bag will be a ton of firsts. a bit nervous and excited all at the same time. :P

Julie
01-17-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm SO doing this!! How fun! :cheering:

DannahK
01-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm in too! I think it'd be a good kick off to trying to do a blanket for my new nephew! I'm going to be attempting this...

Baby Feet (http://www.knittingknonsense.com/babyfeet.html)

WynnieG
01-17-2006, 04:06 PM
Wow, cool pattern Dannah! That bobble is boggling my noggin.

(Say that five times fast)

I might have to practice that stitch. Thanks for the inspiration!!

I've decided on Knitty's Blue Hills hat. Yeah, that's right, my event is Curling. While it might be about as much fun to watch as milk going sour, that's about the speed I can handle in 16 days, with a sweater on other needles.

ebrperk
01-17-2006, 05:16 PM
I would participate but since I will be in the hospital for three to four days during that time I should probably pass. It sounds like fun and I hope you all complete your projects.

Robin

mailgirl
01-17-2006, 09:18 PM
hmmm...I think I will join, too. but what will I knit?

rebecca
01-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I just found out about it...I'm in..but I can't decide which project yet :thinking: but I'm pretty sure that it will be one of the shawls listed below .... :thinking: .....

Vendie
01-21-2006, 09:40 AM
I jumped on the ever expanding bandwagon - I sure hope there's room for all 900 of us that have signed up so far :shock: .

I'm doing the Eyelet Vest from Debbie Bliss' Special Knits. Here's a link to the picture http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6975/1424/1600/eyelet%20vest.jpg

I'm actually hoping I can crank out 2 (one would be smaller than the other). I picked up some Dalegarn Baby Ull at the LYS yesterday - 40% off! Pretty purple and a rich yellow. very nice.

WynnieG
01-22-2006, 04:00 PM
Okay! Change of plan - I was getting frustrated by my LYS' trying to find a yarn like that in the Blue Hills pattern. Soooo, I've decided to knit the Viking Chicken Hat!

No, this does not mean I'm now knitting for Norway.

It does however mean I'll be tackling a project dear to my heart, if not that of my nephew's mother, and be fulfilling a dream of mine - which, after all, is what the Olympics are about, right? Reaching for one's dreams.

The yarn is in hand - I stopped by Circles today. Folks are real nice. I may have my DH drop me off there Sundays for the KnB! :)

chanters
01-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I'll be making my first socks :) They'll be for my dad (whoa... he's got a big foot!) :D Can't wait :)

rebecca
01-23-2006, 12:38 AM
Hello fellow http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20Knitting%20Olympics/knittingolympics-1.jpg Olympiads, whether you are from team USA; Canada, Britain...the list goes on; all fellow Olympiads are welcome, no matter your country :D ...hello to all!!
I am here to say that My Great Master, http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/avatarknittingyoda.jpg Vogue Lace Wrap chose did he.
I have chosen my knitting sports and am now a proud member of http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20Knitting%20Olympics/USlaceteam.gif and the http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20Knitting%20Olympics/USshawlwrapteam.gif!! I am PROUD to be a member of each team since my chosen event allows competing on both teams!!! I have chosen my equipment to compete with and it will be either size 8 or 9 addi's and Lamb's Pride Superwash Wool in a lovely shade of Blue Flannel. Now, until the Olympics begin I will be doing a bit of training (gauge swatches) and practicing my http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/knittingaddiction.jpg :shock: ....ahem, I meant to say that I will be practicing my http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/knittingsmiley.gif. All this is to help in the training (get my gauge correct so I can choose the correct equipment...size 8 or 9 addi, for example) to become a proud http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20Knitting%20Olympics/usaolympicknittergeneric.gif.
I also wanted to say that those that can't or choose not to participate, that I know that all of we Knit Olympiads will be proud to have those that http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20Knitting%20Olympics/watcherofolymics.gif choose to participate in other http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y119/rebeccame/2006%20Knitting%20Olympics/olympiccheerers.gif ways ;)
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering: LET'S KNIT :cheering: :cheering: :cheering:
edited by becka Mon. evening ;)

Angelia
01-23-2006, 09:33 AM
I'm in--registered and everything! I'm doing this (http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTcinxia.html).

Any yarn suggestions, though? I'm thinking Andean Silk, but I'm worried it won't drape properly (or will be too drapey)...

knitncook
01-24-2006, 06:43 PM
I want to join as well, but not sure what I am going to knit. Maybe some felted clogs? I haven't done those yet and short rows are my nemisis! BUT I'm thinking that maybe I need to do something that has lots of "brainless" knitting as I like watching the Olympics and since the clogs have lots of "pay attention" directions either the knitting would suffer or my viewing would. I detest making garments (sweaters particularly) because I get bored, so maybe I will do a wool fair isle. I love all the "official Olympic" sweaters, but don't have the $150 to purchase the kits. Maybe I'll find something else :D

brightspot
01-25-2006, 01:34 AM
I am going to try knitting socks on circulars. I got so confused last time that (I am ashamed to say) I gave up. It is time I tried again.

Pixywhispers
01-25-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm in! I'll start some baby socks. I've never :XX: socks before. With the new baby it now takes me two weeks what used to take two days. So learning to knit socks will be a challenge. I cant wait to start training.

Candace

Cristy
01-25-2006, 10:01 PM
you guys are brave...I can't do it but I'll be your cheerleader.

Angelia
01-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Oh, Cristy, you can knit something, surely! I know you can do it!

Cristy
01-26-2006, 12:33 AM
Man I dunno--I'm struggling w/ dh's scarf. It's for valentine's day--hands down, it's the most polished thing I've completed to date but it's just going slowly--I haven't had my usual amount of knitting time lately. I went to the site (olympic site) and looked it over and I would like to do it--I want to do the toshiko tote so badly--I started it and hated the yarn (berroco medley--$9 a skein and I bought 6!!). I don't know if it'll be better as I work with it--it's kind of klumpy and so the tension is all off b/c it doesn't tighten/slide well--it's gets hung on the clumps of wool. I love the bag--and the yarn and it's an easy project--that's all I really want to do but I was so frustrated with the yarn after only a row or two...I don't know what else I'd do if I didn't do that--everything else I want to do requires knowledge of something I don't know how to do yet. I could possibly pull off another project but not something that requires a lot of new learning--there's just too much going on w/ the purchase of the new house and all.

Angelia
01-26-2006, 10:34 AM
Oh, I forgot about the new house! That is a lot going on in and of itself without trying to do a knitting marathon!

The scarf sounds lovely--I can't wait to see its polished loveliness!

Re the Berroco: is it roving? The Foliage I used was dyed roving and it was thick and thin, so it took some getting used to while working it; that raw wool is sticky. It does get easier as you go, and you do learn how to live with the stickiness. (I don't know if that's helpful or not!) If you really hate it, can you return it and get something else?

knitncook
01-26-2006, 11:26 AM
OK, I'm in. I'm committed to Team Sock USA and am going to do the Pink Ribbon socks from the Knitting Pattern a day calendar. I have the yarn. Now to wait. ARG!! A pair of socks in 16 days. I think I can do it if I dont' get side tracked by something else and ONLY knit they socks. I think I am more committed to the socks than team USA. Can't I just be "Team Sock" :D

Cristy
01-26-2006, 11:44 AM
Re the Berroco: is it roving?

Don't know if I know what roving is...LOL--sorry. It's thin yarn and then it has clumps of different color yarn every couple of inches (on purpose). It's beautiful but a pain to knit!

Angelia
01-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I just looked up Medley and I can see why it would be a problem to knit with; that texturing is kind of weird! It is lovely, though; I can see why you were drawn to it! You won't be able to knit it tightly, that's for sure, and I'm not so sure it will felt since it has so much acrylic & nylon. Did you do a test swatch for felting?

butterflymama
01-26-2006, 04:49 PM
Okay so I wanna be the in the Olympics too! I am ultra new but I thought a challenge would be a pair of socks using Silvers tutorial. Think that is a reasonable thing to do? A pair in 16 days for a newbie who is terrified of dpns? Should I scale back to a goal of one? One seems lame so thats why I am thinking 2. Whatcha think? :??

Cristy
01-26-2006, 06:17 PM
I just looked up Medley and I can see why it would be a problem to knit with; that texturing is kind of weird! It is lovely, though; I can see why you were drawn to it! You won't be able to knit it tightly, that's for sure, and I'm not so sure it will felt since it has so much acrylic & nylon. Did you do a test swatch for felting?

Gosh--we've kind of hijacked this thread w/ my issues, haven't we?!
just the parts that have wool end up felting supposedly--i got the pattern from Berroco's newsletter. They give an upclose swatch of what it looks like after felting and it gets a cool bumpy effect.

nicolethegeek
01-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Should I scale back to a goal of one? One seems lame so thats why I am thinking 2. Whatcha think? :??
Well if just completing one sock is going to be a challenge for you, I say keep it to just one. You want to be challenged, but realistically so. I'm making my booger for my event. I'm challenging myself with several new techniques {for me} in the project, as well as getting it all knit, felted and blocked in the 16 day timetable. It *is* going to be a lot of work for me, but it simply means that I have to give up the video games and any other WIPs for that time... I hope... ;)

butterflymama
01-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Yeah, one is going to be a huge challenge for me. I think 2 would just be setting myself up to fail. So one it is...pathetic sounding and all! :thumbsup:

I can't wait to start! :happydance:

Now where to get a team sock button? :rofling:

knitncook
01-27-2006, 10:33 AM
What if your challenge was to knit one and to cast on the second during the closing ceremonies so that you don't end up with your first OSS (One Sock Syndrome)?

ekgheiy
01-27-2006, 09:16 PM
What a wonderful idea! I wish I'd thought of it!

You guys have got to post pics when the games are over ... ;)

butterflymama
01-28-2006, 01:37 AM
What if your challenge was to knit one and to cast on the second during the closing ceremonies so that you don't end up with your first OSS (One Sock Syndrome)?

Oh thats a good idea! Maybe I will have some super special power and get them both done in time. :roflhard: Sorry, but that was funny.

I think one with a second cast on during closing ceremonys is a fantastic solution! :thumbsup: Thanks!

Now, where did you get your ultra cool sock team button?

Julie
01-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Knitting Olympics buttons galore:

http://knottygirls.com/jenlablog/index.php?p=491

butterflymama
01-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Thank you!

Cristy
01-28-2006, 11:14 AM
FINE--I give in (I've been wrestiling w/ my inner demons..). I'll knit something...don't know what...but I'm going to do it. The games end before we close on our house so I've got no excuse--it'll give me a reason to get my packing done in record time!

Angelia
01-28-2006, 01:01 PM
:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

sogrammatical
01-28-2006, 05:22 PM
Gah! I'm really tempted to join. I have clapotis yarn that's waiting to be knit up. And it would be nice to have that shawl while it's still cold out....

I'll think about it.

mailgirl
01-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I can't figure how to sign up! :(

CateKnits
01-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Hmm...I have finals the week after (I think :doh: ) the closing ceremonies, so this is probably a horrible idea, but I want to join! Anyone have a suggestion for me? I don't know what I should pick as my project...

nicolethegeek
01-29-2006, 10:27 AM
Go to Yarn Harlot's site (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/) and you can either click on the post for the Knitting Olympics or email her with your name, web site/blog {if you have one, and what you are making.

Angelia
01-29-2006, 10:41 AM
Bad news for me. I had planned to do Cinxia in WOTA avocado. Well, it turns out that WOTA pills something awful. Amy's lovely red sweater, the one she finished only 3 or so weeks ago, has already been de-pilled once and was covered in pills again yesterday. She's very disappointed, as am I. :( Of course I welcome the excuse to buy more yarn, but that's not really the point.

Cristy
01-29-2006, 03:49 PM
oh Ange--sorry about that. You'll think of something else--consider yourself a major olympian--you're capable of competing in more than one event.

mailgirl
01-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Go to Yarn Harlot's site (http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/) and you can either click on the post for the Knitting Olympics or email her with your name, web site/blog {if you have one, and what you are making.

Thanks! I signed up!

mailgirl
01-29-2006, 04:47 PM
My mother may also join the Olympics! When I told her about it she said, "I knit an Irish Fisherman's Knit Sweater in a week."! So, I hope she will find something challenging!

misstialouise
01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm in!

http://static.flickr.com/15/92292525_d2a9fc2e51_o.gif

I'm knitting a "Waterfall" Caplet from the Knitters Dozen - Scarves Ponchos & Wraps book I bought last week.

It has stair stepping & stitch dropping, which I've never done before.

I'll be using a 'novelty' cotton icord yarn in a lovely teal.

I will finish my Scrunch scarf before the 10th (also my b'day :D), and put the gauntlets aside until after the KO's :D

Angelia
01-29-2006, 07:41 PM
"It's too bloody hot to knit!"

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

And yes, Cristy, I'll find another yarn. I'm just bummed b/c I already have the WOTA...and I love the color. :( (We need a *pout* emoticon!)

nicolethegeek
01-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Oh geez, Tia... you nearly owe me a new monitor! I choked on my coffee when I saw your Olympics button... how PERFECT!!! Glad you decided to join! =o)

sogrammatical
01-30-2006, 02:31 PM
You know, I think I'll just go for it with my clapotis! If I don't finish it in time, I'll be sad, but at least I'll have a good start on it, which is more than I have now.

Maybe I'll wind one of the skeins into a ball tonight and swatch?

Cristy
01-30-2006, 03:51 PM
alrighty...I'm officially signed up. :)

misstialouise
01-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Oh geez, Tia... you nearly owe me a new monitor! I choked on my coffee when I saw your Olympics button... how PERFECT!!! Glad you decided to join! =o)

LMAO ... I didn't create it... but yes.. it's good :D

WynnieG
01-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Are folks making their own team buttons or are they finding these somewhere? I'd love a link if anyone knows of one.

The list has been updated for entrants... my name and project are finally showing up! Woohoo!

nicolethegeek
01-31-2006, 11:40 AM
I got my team button at Harlot's site... she had a few links to other ones too.

kemp
01-31-2006, 01:26 PM
I'm official now! Just posted about it too my blog. Hope I'm not in over my head for only 16 days with this shawl.

Jan in CA
01-31-2006, 01:53 PM
I couldn't figure out what you all were talking about...now I see this post. :doh: Looks like fun! I'm going to attempt my first pair of socks!

Angelia
01-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Yay for all new entrants! :happydance:

I want a button, but after seeing the Australia one, really, I just won't bother. None can be that good! :thumbsup:

misstialouise
01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
Yay for all new entrants! :happydance:

I want a button, but after seeing the Australia one, really, I just won't bother. None can be that good! :thumbsup:

Awww.. thanks.. :D I'm wishing I could take credit for it now.. ;)

jsauer
01-31-2006, 05:52 PM
hey, sogrammatical. I'm going to try for the clapotis too. i just got my birthday yarn (present to myself) to knit it anyway - Lion and Lamb in Vera - ooooohh it's so pretty I could just pee. :oops: woops! I'm somewhat terrified - but hey, I can follow directions, right? Good luck to everyone!

jsauer
01-31-2006, 06:12 PM
hey, sogrammatical. I'm going to try for the clapotis too. i just got my birthday yarn (present to myself) to knit it anyway - Lion and Lamb in Vera - ooooohh it's so pretty I could just pee. :oops: woops! I'm somewhat terrified - but hey, I can follow directions, right? Good luck to everyone!

carollovesyarn
01-31-2006, 09:26 PM
I'm signing up for team Anstylvania (http://www.theanticraft.com/angstylvania/index.htm).

Carol

Angelia
01-31-2006, 10:27 PM
"We'd have to care to finish."
- Svetlana Vyaloctova, Team Angstylvania coach

:roflhard: :roflhard: :roflhard:

I think I already live there! :shock:

CateKnits
01-31-2006, 10:31 PM
Okay, I have to do this so I can be part of team Angstsylvania! :twisted:
But what could I make? :thinking:

Angelia
01-31-2006, 10:36 PM
A hat with that Encore! :rofling:

CateKnits
01-31-2006, 10:39 PM
But that's not a challenge worthy of 16 days! :P

Angelia
01-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Oh yeah...but mittens are! :twisted:

CateKnits
01-31-2006, 10:48 PM
:verysad: NO!

Angelia
01-31-2006, 10:52 PM
C'mon. They've been vexing you, and you must show them who's boss!! :mad: Get 'em!