PDA

View Full Version : What other knitting communities are you involved in?

Darhain
01-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Be they online or IRL. Yahoo groups, SnB groups, LYS stitchers groups, etc.

I'm sure they're not as cool as THIS community, but tell us about them anyway. :lol:

KellyK
01-19-2006, 12:09 AM
I have been going to open knit night at my LYS, but other than that I am TOTALLY dedicated to you all! :inlove:

misstialouise
01-19-2006, 12:11 AM
My SnB group at the LYS, and I'm registered on the Knitty.com Coffee Shop, but don't really post there...

Julie
01-19-2006, 12:21 AM
I joined the yarn co-op yahoo group :inlove: but other than that, this is my only knitting forum. ;)

Vendie
01-19-2006, 07:41 AM
oooh Julie, I need to join that one!

I'm in the Aran Knits Yahoo Group, and I'm following along on the sister group FLAK (The FLAK was so popular, the moderator had to spin it off into it's own thing) - Follow the Leader Aran Knitalong.

I'm also in a group at work that gets together every other week.

nicolethegeek
01-19-2006, 08:49 AM
I own and belong to several yahoo groups. I run one of my own and am involved in another that caters to both knitting and crocheting. I belong to one crocheting only group that I joined over 7 or 8 years ago when I first got online. I am a member of HeartMade Blessings and occasionally donate or design for them. I own a group that chooses and makes 2 dishcloths a month {one knit one crochet}, and belong to a group for socks. I belong to two local groups that get together, but haven't been able to join them yet due to my work schedule. I am registered with craftster and knitty, and post at the former occasionally and the latter rarely.

I've belonged to dozens of groups throughout my years online and been admin at many of them as well. Between the catty fighting that breaks out at most of the lists with more than 300 members, working on my web business, and my various IRL commitments, I have left them all at one point or another. I applied my FLYlady principles and got rid of those that I didn't use and love, and kept the ones that made me smile!

CarmenIbanez
01-19-2006, 12:47 PM
With all the time I spend here, I don't have time for another group! I am thinking of starting a knitting group that would meet at my house. Teaching those who want to learn, etc. Since I had a breakdown last night when my DVR died, I realized I need to spend more time without the TV!

Jax3303
01-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I go to a SnB group that meets the first wednesday every month. Online, I post here, the about.com knitting forum, craftster.org and a parenting site I belong to has a crafting forum that I post the most in.

Jenelle
01-19-2006, 01:11 PM
This is the only place I go to because so far it's been the most helpful! :)

But I have been thinking of joining a group in town that knits hats, blanks, and other little items for our local hospital. When my sister-in-law gave birth to my neice, she got a very nice knit hat from those lady's. Some of their work amazes me, because they make so much within short amounts of time.

Andrea
01-19-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm in a knitting guild called The Cultured Purls (link in my sig)...there are about 70 women in it from all over the county I live in. We meet twice a month (2nd and 4th Tuesday), plus we do many other things like workshops, yarn crawls, Stitches convention...I love it!!

jodstr2
01-19-2006, 02:29 PM
I've never been to an SnB gathering, but I subscribe to the local list SnBSJSU) list (Jordana Paige started this group and attends regularly). I also belong to an informal Tuesday lunchtime knitting group here at work. I'm registered on the knitty.com forums but stopped posting there a few months ago because I think there's too much ego, drama, and negativity there.

margie
01-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I belong to a knitting group that meets weekly at a local church. I am not a member of the church, but the other women in the group have been very kind and make me feel as though I am a part of the group nonetheless. They do knitting for an Indian reservation out west- scarves, hats, mittens, baby layettes for each new baby. Also afghans. It is a lot of fun to knit with other people, and it is nice to know that if I get stuck on something, they are there to help me- there is one woman who is the master at undoing mistakes- she'll just rip the needle right out of the work, frog it down to before the mistake, and put it back in- I am far too much of a chicken to attempt that!!

earthchick
01-19-2006, 03:17 PM
This forum is definitely my main knitting home. I came here by way of the knitting board at mothering.com, and I do peek in over there every few days. I also lurk sometimes at craftster.org but am not registered. And I registered at knitty.com coffee shop but really never even lurk.

IRL I am in no groups, but am very excited about something I'm starting on Saturday at my church - it will be a knitting and meditation workshop, open to anyone (not just church members) who have interest in both. Judging by the current RSVPs, we're going to have people from their mid-20s to their mid-70s! :thumbsup:

Cristy
01-19-2006, 06:49 PM
I lead a SNB in my area...but beyond that..I'm ever faithful to kh! :)

newbieknit
01-19-2006, 09:18 PM
This is the only knitting forum I frequent. I joined the Knitty Coffeeshop, but I don't really go there.
I do participate in a knit for needies.

WynnieG
01-19-2006, 10:21 PM
I mostly hang out here, though I'm listed with Craftster and have lurked on a few lj knitting communities (mostly related to HP and LOTR knitting).

I also am a member of the Socknitters Yahoo group. I'm currently looking for a LYS knitting group/other type of local knitting meet.