PDA

View Full Version : Which Alpaca holds up the longest?

geekgolightly
01-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I found this ultra soft debbie bliss alpaca silk yarn, chunky which I am going to make into a hat, and it;s so soft, I wanted to get it in brown and knit a scarf for a friend who requested a scarf thats brown and soft, perfect right? well, i read a review that after three days, the scarf someone else made started pilling. Are there any alpaca yarns that are sturdy enough for a general use scarf? or are there other chunky weight yarns out there in brown that are super soft?

Please help a newbie out. I am about finished with my very first scarf and am really digging this forum for info and all of the pictures you post of your creations totally inspire me.

Thanks
Kathy

dominicanbaby111
01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Well look kathy we have something in common we are new! :thumbsup: What i like to do is look at the Free Patterns or make my own up simple as that and i put it on my to knit list this site really helps alot

geekgolightly
01-22-2006, 06:18 PM
hi dominicanbaby11,

the free patterns i mostly gawk at right now. im still learning the difference between stockinette, garter and seed stick (seed is so pretty!). i did go out on a limb and purchase a circular needle in hopes that i can figure out how to make a hat. ill hunt around here for a simple hat pattern.

dominicanbaby111
01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi geekgolighty,

The first project I did was the chunky hip bag its easy and cool. I first tried it on worsted yarn and it was pretty it took me about a day those are simple pretty projects. But whats easier if you like try knitting with the videos to learn the difference thats what I did.

Hennesy :XX:

Ingrid
01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't really give you a low down on alpaca--I've used it and love it, but I don't really know how it wears yet.

Merino is very soft and is probably more durable than alpaca, if you have a mind to try something different.

Cristy
01-22-2006, 10:32 PM
I agree with Ingrid--I use Merino a lot b/c it holds up well and it's really soft. I even use Merino blends a lot (like Kool Wool by Lion's Brand) b/c they are cost effective too! :) Good luck with whatever you choose.

candicane
01-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I have two hats made out of Plymouth Grande 100% Baby Alpaca. My DD and I have been wearing our hats since last fall without any pilling. It is super soft.

I did read on Yarndex that another Debbie Bliss yarn (cashmerino) had piling issues.

Candice