View Full Version : Which Alpaca holds up the longest?

01-22-2006, 06:08 PM
I found this ultra soft debbie bliss alpaca silk yarn, chunky which I am going to make into a hat, and it;s so soft, I wanted to get it in brown and knit a scarf for a friend who requested a scarf thats brown and soft, perfect right? well, i read a review that after three days, the scarf someone else made started pilling. Are there any alpaca yarns that are sturdy enough for a general use scarf? or are there other chunky weight yarns out there in brown that are super soft?

Please help a newbie out. I am about finished with my very first scarf and am really digging this forum for info and all of the pictures you post of your creations totally inspire me.

01-22-2006, 06:11 PM
Well look kathy we have something in common we are new! :thumbsup: What i like to do is look at the Free Patterns or make my own up simple as that and i put it on my to knit list this site really helps alot

01-22-2006, 06:18 PM
hi dominicanbaby11,

the free patterns i mostly gawk at right now. im still learning the difference between stockinette, garter and seed stick (seed is so pretty!). i did go out on a limb and purchase a circular needle in hopes that i can figure out how to make a hat. ill hunt around here for a simple hat pattern.

01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Hi geekgolighty,

The first project I did was the chunky hip bag its easy and cool. I first tried it on worsted yarn and it was pretty it took me about a day those are simple pretty projects. But whats easier if you like try knitting with the videos to learn the difference thats what I did.

Hennesy :XX:

01-22-2006, 07:21 PM
I can't really give you a low down on alpaca--I've used it and love it, but I don't really know how it wears yet.

Merino is very soft and is probably more durable than alpaca, if you have a mind to try something different.

01-22-2006, 10:32 PM
I agree with Ingrid--I use Merino a lot b/c it holds up well and it's really soft. I even use Merino blends a lot (like Kool Wool by Lion's Brand) b/c they are cost effective too! :) Good luck with whatever you choose.

01-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I have two hats made out of Plymouth Grande 100% Baby Alpaca. My DD and I have been wearing our hats since last fall without any pilling. It is super soft.

I did read on Yarndex that another Debbie Bliss yarn (cashmerino) had piling issues.