PDA

View Full Version : New Knitter has purl question

Christteri
01-22-2006, 11:40 PM
I just learned to knit and was taught only to purl. With this stitch, I have been able to make practice pieces that do not curl at all and lay nice and flat. Can I make one of those scarfs with the fun fur just using the purl stitch? Many people are saying how their work curls and it seems like a good idea to just purl the whole thing. I have not seen this stitch used exclusively in any knitting pattern and wonder why, or maybe I'm just new to this and have missed it.

Julie
01-22-2006, 11:42 PM
When you purl every row, you get the same thing as when you knit every row -- garter stitch. Most people prefer knitting over purling, so when you see instructions for garter stitch items, they usually instruct you to knit every row. :D

Christteri
01-23-2006, 08:01 AM
Thank you for your help. I knew that the garter stitch was to knit every row, I wondered why there wasn't a special name for purling every row. Your reply makes sence though. I find purling easier, maybe it's because I'm left handed -- who knows.

KristiMetz
01-23-2006, 02:51 PM
This is a good thread... I've been wondering what happens when you purl every row, and why no pattern ever called for it!