PDA

View Full Version : Knitting vents! Please join in.

KristiMetz
01-23-2006, 02:42 PM
I have a vent to share! So I thought this would be a good "knitting vent" thread.

My vent is this : I hate, hate, hate it when a pattern is a "knit" pattern... then they have you do some stuff in crochet!

I mean, I know how to knit, not to crochet, darn it!

So that I'm not complaining alone, please join in and share your knitting vent. :)

1to1
01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
I hate when there is a KNOT or KNOTS in the MIDDLE of the Skein of Yarn!!! :wall:

gardenmommy
01-23-2006, 03:08 PM
When you find a most beauteous pattern and the yarn called for is either discontinued, or it is $100 a skein/ball and you need 12 of them.

Ingrid
01-23-2006, 03:12 PM
YES!! Discontinued yarn in patterns. I don't like having to try to find substitutes. Plus, when the colors have names like Eau de Nil instead of green. Or Dragonfly, Wode, Cloud, etc. Just spit it out--tell us what color it is. When you combine discontinued yarn with weird names, forget about getting anything to match the picture in the book!!

Lana
01-23-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay, I thought this was going to be about knitting in ventilation into sweaters. :roflhard:

I'll go with knots in skeins of yarn, because I hate, hate, hate weaving in tails. :wall:

CarmenIbanez
01-23-2006, 03:33 PM
This isn't really a knit vent so much as a "people you knit for" vent. I hate it when you ask someone what they want, or have them go through patterns, and they pick the HARDEST one. :( Or worse, they say, oh whatever you want to make me. And you have NO IDEA!

mrselder
01-23-2006, 03:56 PM
My main irritation is that no one locally carries low-cost sock yarn. My LYS averages 20 bucks for enough yarn to make two socks!

Jenelle
01-23-2006, 04:00 PM
I hate when I find a mistake, and having to frog the whole thing... I HATE IT :wall:

KellyK
01-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I HATE it that all three of my LYSs are closed on Mondays!! GRRRRRRR! :mad:

Vendie
01-23-2006, 04:37 PM
I hate that my credit card bills have all skyrocketed due to my yarn buying habits!! :shock: Stupid need to compulsively enhance stash!

Aello
01-23-2006, 04:38 PM
Mine is also with a "people you knit for"
They beg and beg and beg for me to knit them something. Then when I finally give in, and take your precious knitting time to make something beautiful (in my eyes, but hey it's my hard work) They just don't appreciate it. ex. using it as a parrot toy (clothing by the way) or throwing it in the washer with everything else WITH bleach (even though you gave machine washing instructions) or just plain not sayng thank you. is that really too much to ask I mean really. Sorry that was a vent wasn't it lol.

btw, those were all different people lol. Can someone PLEASE teach me how to say NO especially when I don't want to do it, because I know better. I usually say No the first time but by the fifth I give in lol. I have a sickness.

CarmenIbanez
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm the same way! Everyone wants something. Oh well. I try to only let them choose from very simple easy projects now. :-)

Amber
01-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Well, I have two young children (an almost 4yo and a 7mo), so I generally get very little time to knit. What I hate is when I finally get both kids to sleep in the evening, sit down with a cup of tea and my knitting, and think "ahhh, this is nice."

...and then the baby wakes up.

So much for knitting! :rollseyes:

DannahK
01-23-2006, 05:20 PM
I HATE it when you start on a project because it sounds like a good idea to do, then you get into it and just... don't feel it. I am working on a baby blanket that I wanted to give a girl on the 4th... but I've only finished 10 rows, and I am not in love with the yarn, the pattern or even the progress... I wanna be knitting a booga bag.

benniesma
01-23-2006, 06:02 PM
I hate that I don't have enough time to knit!

I'm with Amber, except that by the time I get to sit down with my tea and knitting I'm too tired to knit!

Josie
01-23-2006, 06:28 PM
I have to agree with DannahK -- I am FORCING myself through a throw for my husband that I REALLY don't want to do... Don't like the pattern so much (thought it would be interesting because it's my first attempt at entrelac, but got over that rather quickly), don't like the yarn so much (Homespun -- really should have listened to all the people on this forum) and, in general, I'm just not feeling it... I really want to be working on the baby blanket that I bought the yarn for today. I thought that if I bought that yarn, I would hurry through the throw for DH so that I could get to the baby blanket (since they use the same size needle), but now I'm trying to find a way to justify buying another size 10 1/2 circular needle so that I can just start the baby blanket!!

glomper
01-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Absolutely detest it when the end of the yarn not coming from the outside of the ball but from the centre and gets into a big knot - especially in a faux fur type yarn - big tangle.

margie
01-23-2006, 07:57 PM
I agree with Amber and Dannah- it seems as though it never fails, once I get settled in, all ready to knit away, someone wakes up or the phone rings.............

Or, you think that a project is going to be so great- and you just can't wait to get started on it- and then you start, and it SUCKS!!!! I did this with beautiful yarn recently- gorgeous angora- but it is so thin, and I have too many other projects going. I decided to just wait to start on the angora, until I don't have so many other things. (Yeah right!!)

amy
01-23-2006, 07:59 PM
When I accidently cast on only 1/2 the number of stitches required, and get over 1,000 sts. knit before I realize my mistake. :rollseyes: (Did this today. :lol:)

:frog:

jhelanee
01-23-2006, 08:16 PM
My current pet peeve is not being able to locate the yarn end (or even something fairly close) in the middle of a center-pull skein. I love the yarn I am working with right now, but I can't seem to find the "center" end - and I usually pull out 1/4 of the skein in an effort to find it! :wall:

BonnieM
01-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Swatching...boring, Boring, BORING! There, I feel better :D

blueeyes28
01-23-2006, 08:51 PM
I am making mittens for my niece using a very simple pattern and I have been screwing it up all day I don't know what my problem is! :shock:

brendajos
01-23-2006, 08:58 PM
walk awaaaaaaaaaay from the mittens.

pick them back up tomorrow!

Sara
01-23-2006, 09:04 PM
My biggest peeve is when I have to start a project over and over again because of my "mistakes," only to find out that the PATTERN is wrong, not me!

Jenelle
01-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I hate it whenever I walk away from my knitting for like a minute, then come back and notice that its EVERYWHERE.... I really do hate cats.... they always are destroying my stuff!

Angelia
01-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Wow, most of you have covered my complaints...hard-to-find center yarn pieces and resulting pile of twisty-knotty skein barf, SWATCHING :evil: , finding an error (for me, mysterious holes) after knitting about a million rows in...gah!

Yet, I (indeed, we) cannot stop knitting! :heart:

Lisa1216
01-23-2006, 09:55 PM
hard-to-find center yarn pieces and resulting pile of twisty-knotty skein barf

:roflhard: :roflhard:

and then sit there for an hour trying to unknot the darn thing!!

punkhippiemom
01-23-2006, 10:09 PM
I hate that I am just ITCHING to knit something for my DH, and he wants nothing. And if he does end up wanting something, I know it'll be boring stockinette in gray or navy blue. No cables or anything even remotely fun for this guy.

And I hate when I overcommit. I want to knit something for everyone, but you people need to space out your babies, already. :rollseyes:

And I hate that I have this compulsion to knit for other people, and STILL have not knit anything for myself except a knitting bag that I don't particularly like. :P Blech.

And I hate the center-pull tangly barf. That always seems to happen to me... except, oddly enough, with the really cheap yarn. :?? wonder why....

Cristy
01-23-2006, 10:50 PM
I (like everyone before me) agree whole-heartedly with the center-pull tangly barf issue...

I also relate to the not knitting for me but for everyone else issue...

I can relate to the dh issue...mine doesn't want anything either but swears he'd wear it if I'd just make it....

My BIGGEST issue right now is with my snb--I am group leader--I have 20 people who are registered members on our message board but only two (besides me) consistently show up. I mean come on people...get with the program. I've even worked to figure out different meeting times/dates but I'm not getting a lot of feedback. I need a catch--something (besides knitting--I mean, honestly, what else could someone ask for!?!?!?!) else to encourage attendance.

I also hate it when you spend an arm and leg (like I did on Berroco Medley) on yarn that you love the looks of, only to find that you abhor knitting with it...:(

mintdee
01-24-2006, 12:15 AM
I third the knitting for dh complaint! Except that my hubby wants me to knit him a hat and every hat that I have knitted (for other people because he wanted to see what they would look like first) have had this or that wrong. I am hoping that I will find a hat that he deems worthy but the year 2010. :rollseyes:

KristiMetz
01-24-2006, 02:14 AM
My current pet peeve is not being able to locate the yarn end (or even something fairly close) in the middle of a center-pull skein. I love the yarn I am working with right now, but I can't seem to find the "center" end - and I usually pull out 1/4 of the skein in an effort to find it! :wall:

Ooooh, yeah! I forgot about that. I just HATE that!!!!!

I don't hate swatching though coz... I don't do it! :happydance: Yeah... it's gonna bite me in the butt big someday... but so far ignorance is bliss!

trucker945
01-24-2006, 02:47 AM
I hate it when Ingrid won't visit, KellyK won't let me tickle her belly-button. and all the rest of you won't come over and have a cup of coffee with me... SHEESH! I'm gonna hafta sell the pontoon boat and stop making home-made wine.
NOT!!! neener neener neener

KellyK
01-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Trucker, you're a little CRACKED, aren't ya...... :roflhard:

Ronda
01-24-2006, 09:08 AM
I hate Berroco Suede. I have an entire ball of it lying on my kitchen table in nothing but knots. Of course, it's my fault entirely, but I'm still going to take it out on the yarn, tyvm.

Other than that, my major complaint is how no one in my family wants to talk to me UNTIL I sit down to knit.

Angelia
01-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Other than that, my major complaint is how no one in my family wants to talk to me UNTIL I sit down to knit.

Yes! Gah!!! My dh does that to me all the time, particularly when I'm counting or in a difficult part of a pattern. Only after he's interrupted me and actually notices what he's done will he say "oh, nevermind, I'll wait until you're finished." :mad:

Ronda
01-24-2006, 09:19 AM
...particularly when I'm counting or in a difficult part of a pattern...

Yes!!! :rofling: That's exactly what my husband does, too! Lately when he does that, I just start counting really loud - 32, 33, 34, 35....

Angelia
01-24-2006, 09:24 AM
Good for you! I've started holding up a finger (not always THE finger, but sometimes), so he'll leave me alone for a bit. Silly specimen.

knitncook
01-24-2006, 10:02 AM
My vent is when you are on vacation knitting away peacefully and following the directions that you dutifully copied off before you left home and realize that you made a mistake so you frog 22 rows to fix it, get to the same point and realize that there is still a mistake so you frog the same blasted 22 rows and get to the same point and realize that it isn't YOU that made the mistake but the pattern and there is NO way whatsoever that the instructions given can work for the number of stitches on your needle, but you are too brain dead from standing in line listening to "It's a world of laughter a world of tears" all day to figure it out so you have to put your knitting away only 2 days into your vacation and have nothing to knit!

(How's that for a run on sentence?) :D Yep, I was on vacation with a pattern with a mistake in it and no internet access in order to look up how to fix the mistake (it was a turning a heel).

dustinac
01-24-2006, 10:06 AM
:roflhard: ya'll have pretty much covered mine..

The yarn tangled up of vomit in the center that gets worse as you try to find the end!!

CO the wrong # of sts...

Noone wants to talk to me till I sit down to knit...

When I have to frog something sooo many times that I feel like throwing it all away but then this feeling comes over me like NO you pattern you will not beat me!! LOL

:roflhard:

Andrea
01-24-2006, 10:27 AM
...particularly when I'm counting or in a difficult part of a pattern...

Yes!!! :rofling: That's exactly what my husband does, too! Lately when he does that, I just start counting really loud - 32, 33, 34, 35....

I do the same thing!!

I hate not finding center pull end, I hate expensive yarn when you need multiple skeins, I hate that Addi's are a lot of money, I hate the gap between needles on DPNs. :mad:

This is a great thread!!!

PurlyGyrl
01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
Exactly, Rondo! No one wants to talk to me UNTIL I sit done to knit. Soon as I grab my knitting everyone has questions or needs something, even the DOG! :shock: Geez!

Another vent--not being financially able to afford the yarn I want to knit with. :crying: Oh, well.

PurlyGyrl
01-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Oops. :doh: That should be Ronda-not Rondo--had brain freeze there for a second. Please forgive! :notworthy:

flecker
01-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Wow you've covered it all...baby wakes up, everyone wants to talk, need something the second I get all situated, the center pull thing.

I also hate when I'm knitting in public and someone says oh what are you making and then act like it's no big deal. Not that I expect people to dance or anything, but until I see you making something with your own bare hands don't roll you eyes when I say dishcloth. Especially when you follow that up with, when are you going to make me something? :rollseyes: Of course, this may only happen with me--in-laws! geesh

feministmama
01-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Ok mine is wierd. I hate it when I KIP and folks come up to me and say "Oh how pretty, you should sell those. You could make a lot of money." I don't know why this bugs me. Like yeah I could really make a living off my knitting. That's why I'm sitting here at this bus stop knitting.

Julie
01-24-2006, 12:05 PM
FM, you hit it on the head!!!!! People are always telling me I should sell what I knit. Wow, what a great idea! And make a whole $1 an hour? $2 if I'm lucky? Why didn't I think of that? :roflhard:

KellyK
01-24-2006, 01:31 PM
My mom is always trying to drum up business for me....and just does NOT understand why I would say no to knitting for her electrologist! :rofling: She actually said to me, "but, did you HEAR me? She's willing to PAYYY you!" :rollseyes:

blueeyes28
01-24-2006, 01:37 PM
The problem with letting someone pay you for your work is that they can bring it back to you for any little mistake they find because they will want to make sure they are getting there moneys worth!!

jelly
01-24-2006, 03:39 PM
i am wearing my Lorna's Lace Lion and Lamb Clapotis today

people keep teeling me i should make and sell them

um, yeah, ok, i am sure everyone is dying to buy a $300 scarf from me :rollseyes:

brendajos
01-24-2006, 03:44 PM
i think we should tell them how much they cost us to make and then ask what they would pay for it.....or even vice versa....maybe it would make them be quiet.

Ronda
01-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Oops. :doh: That should be Ronda-not Rondo--had brain freeze there for a second. Please forgive! :notworthy:

No problemO. :lol:

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2006, 04:58 PM
so you have to put your knitting away only 2 days into your vacation and have nothing to knit!

Which is why my husband yells at me for bringing four projects everywhere I go. He doesn't understand this phenomenon. But you all do!

knitncook
01-24-2006, 05:51 PM
so you have to put your knitting away only 2 days into your vacation and have nothing to knit!

Which is why my husband yells at me for bringing four projects everywhere I go. He doesn't understand this phenomenon. But you all do!

I thought of bringing something else, but I figured that a pair of socks would probably last me through my entire vacation. I was thinking that if I brought my "sock box" and knit while standing in line and while waiting for the bus and in the morning before everyone woke up and on the ride down and back that I could actually get them done in a week's time. Who knew I was going to run into a problem. I've made socks before. Piece of cake. Except when you've had way too many Mickey Ears Ice Cream Sandwiches and too little sleep to think how to turn a 22 stitch heel.

CarmenIbanez
01-24-2006, 06:02 PM
To be honest when I am a captive knitter, I am alwasy worried I will get bored with just one project!!! So I usually bring two. That way I can switch back and forth. I probably shouldn't do this, because it ends up taking me longer to get them done.

JessicaR
01-25-2006, 03:05 AM
I had nothing to vent about unitl now! I did two baby socks before someone noticed that I did them backwards!!! I whole day of knitting in the dumps. Maybe I can stuff them and make cat toys out of them or something.

blueeyes28
01-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I had the same kind of day yesterday I was halfway through my second booga bag and realized that some how things got switched around and the half way up my bag looked inside out so I ended up starting all over . :doh:

Angelia
01-25-2006, 08:06 AM
After felting, the knits and purls look exactly alike; only garter stitch has a strange texture. It's a shame you frogged it!

blueeyes28
01-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I thought so but I didn't want to take the chance I am learning a lot of patience since I started knitting thats for sure.

Nana
01-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I feel everyones pain in here :( I've had sister inlaws that have taken HALF the outfit home , that I have knit for their new babys. You know JUST the blanket, NOT the sweater , hat and booties that I made. And I really hate when you do finally give in to BUGS! (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make me a sweater) people, they start going through your patterns, and the whole time saying "Well I like that neck line with those sleeves, and could you maybe knit a little flower in here, and this cable, but over here" By the end, I have about two word's for them. And belive me they are not "Let's Dance" Karen

Ingrid
01-26-2006, 07:43 PM
When people outside my family ask me to make them a sweater, I just tell them they can't afford me. If they bother to ask how much, I tell them a thousand bucks. If it takes me 6 weeks to knit a sweater, that's only $167 per week, not counting yarn. ;)

I haven't had any takers, yet. :thinking:

KristiMetz
01-26-2006, 09:38 PM
I had nothing to vent about unitl now! I did two baby socks before someone noticed that I did them backwards!!! I whole day of knitting in the dumps. Maybe I can stuff them and make cat toys out of them or something.

:?? What does this mean? how do you knit socks backwards? Sorry for my ignorance. :shock:

JessicaR
01-26-2006, 11:21 PM
Notice "the bump" and that the heel is bumpy.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8494&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0