PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful yarn...no pattern!

EmilyKaye
01-23-2006, 11:19 PM
Hey everyone. While on vacation I visited a yarn shop owened my a friend and I picked up the most BEAUTIFUL Italian yarn (Fliatura Cervinia).

It is a 50-50 wool acrylic blend, and it's a cream color with strands of moss green woven in. I have 4 80m balls, and I have NO IDEA what to do with it! I bought it for myself, thinking I'd find the "perfect pattern" but my search has come up short. I can get more of the same if needed for a pattern, but I can't find one I like! I was thinking a nice sweater, something simple (yet flattering for my bigness up top and around back!)

Please help me! I don't want this to go to waste!

Louine
01-25-2006, 08:59 AM
What about a Shawl or poncho......They are so popular right now....I would have suggested a shrug and I love them but I had to give the one I made away....if you are full busted...they just aren't a good look....but shawls are always good.

Also a "Stitch" that I got from my local yarn store is great for unique yarns.....
Cast on an even number of stitches.....each row is the same.....
Purl, * yo (purl wise) then purl two together (repeat until the one stitch is left on the left hand needle, purl last stich in row.

I have used the above for a shawl, scarf and just finished made two matching rectangles and hopefully tonight I sew them together for a poncho.----makes for an easy-don't have to think much "lacy" stitch will works well with rectangular pieces that need no shaping.

Happy Knitting.....

amy
01-26-2006, 02:39 PM
:thinking: Doesn't sound like enough yardage for a sweater, but I don't know off the top of my head how to convert meters to yards.

If you know the gauge the yarn is typically knit at (look at the label, or to a swatch test or two), you can calculate how much yardage you'll need for a project. Webs (yarn.com) sells a very very handy yardage estimator card, I forget what it's called, but it's a laminated card by Ann Budd, costs about $5, comes in very handy for things like this, you can look up how much yarn would be needed for a sweater in your size and see if you've got enough to go forth. :thumbsup:

I own the card....If you tell me the gauge and your chest diameter, I can tell you how many yards you'll need for a sweater if you like. :D (PM me if I neglect to reply, I don't always keep up with threads.)

BonnieM
01-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I think you have about 360 yards there. Probably not enough for a sweater, but I like the idea of a shawlette or shrug or something lacey. The yarn sounds yummy!

EmilyKaye
01-26-2006, 08:31 PM
Thanks everyone! I think with this yarn, if I made a sweater I'd just look like a big marshmallow that someone sneezed snot on...(can you tell that I have a little boy?!) I think a poncho is the way I'm going to go, but I don't like the pointy ends...going to do a little pattern searching tonight when the DH gets home! Thanks so much!